Debt settlement finds a way to negotiate with the lenders to waive off certain percentage of the outstanding balance with the borrowers. A portion of the amount is paid off at an agreed upon settlement amount. This process can be very effective if a third party settlement services company is employed. They negotiate hard with the companies to eliminate between 40-60% of the original balances. A shocking revelation says that last year alone there were 1.5 million bankruptcies filed. It is a serious problem for the lenders as it is their business to reap profits and not bankruptcies. They do business in the market and hardly gains because of the bankruptcies. Lenders do not get even a single penny when bankruptcy is filed. Hence, they find that negotiating with a debt settlement company might find fruitful results in getting back at least the 50% of their principle amount.
With the worst affected economy, the only way to find a solution for paying the lenders have been to borrow from one creditor to pay off the debts to another creditor. This process will face its eventual death when the borrowers run out of their credit lines and they find it very difficult to repay the monthly payments. Debt settlement will take about 12 to 36 months of time for the entire process to get over. Those companies will contact the creditors and will explain about the representation in favor of the debtors. The lending companies are not allowed to contact the borrowers anymore. This is a very good way to stop the creditors from harassing their consumers. Every single communication has to be done via the debt settlement company and also done legally.
The borrowers have to sign the paper offering the "Limited Power of Attorney" to the debt settlement company. A contract is signed and the borrowers are requested to make monthly deposits which will be credited in to the "Settlement Account" which is eventually used to repay the creditors or the collection agencies. Gradually when the money flows in, the debt negotiation company will start negotiating with the lenders and when the deal is agreeable, the funds will be transferred to the lenders account. All the issues and woes are disregarded anymore and the individual can walk away debt free. It means the entire amount is paid with no balances.
The potential advantages of using the debt settlement services are listed here.
• Walking away debt free in a shorter period of time: The time duration is dependent upon the ability to recoup funds by the borrower. The entire process might be completed in just a couple of months.
• Improved the credit score: Debt settlement will affect the credit rating in the initial level. However, the end result is an improved credit score. The initial stages will have a poor credit because of the outstanding balances of the loan amount. If they are settled through a debt consolidation company, the status in the credit bureau can be updated as nil balance which will dramatically improve the credit score.
• Financial independence: Struggling for a prolonged period of time to pay the bills can be quite hectic. Deciding to use the debt reduction services can be a wise decision changing the attitude. A great sense of satisfaction and relief can be obtained on settling these issues. A promising future is waiting at the door steps of the debt settlement life.
Here are some of the negative impacts of doing a settlement.
• Credit Scores Affected: If the borrowers have a decent credit score, the lenders will take least interest in fulfilling the requests. If the accounts are current and an attempt to pay-off an amount will not considered seriously. Nobody is ever worried about the financial inability to repay the amount. A diligent effort will be fruitful under these scenarios. Having a debt settlement will certainly affect the credit rating of the individuals.
• Tax Liability: This is a serious concern need to be addressed with the help of a tax consultant. The forbidden amount by the creditors is taxable for the borrower and IRS Form 1099 has to be submitted. If the case is registered as "insolvent", the borrowers are not entitled for the tax. The liabilities must exceed the assets for the borrowers.
The creditors and the credit card debt settlement companies are working hard to find an agreeable payment method and the borrowers have to pay the decided amount before the deadline.