Many people make a lot of mistakes when washing colored clothes. The problem with colored clothes is that the color tends to run. You might inadvertently stain your other garments because of this. HOW TO WASH DARK CLOTHES is a little tricky.
On the other hand, this is easy if you know what you are doing. Here are some tips on how you can wash colored garments using your washing machine:
1. Separate your colored and your white clothes first. There are pastel-colored clothes that do not bleed so you can add them with your white clothes. For dark-colored garments, you would want to separate them from the white garments.
2. Turn your clothes inside and out. This will prevent the color on the outside from fading fast. This will also prevent excessive running of fabric dye. While segregating your clothes, you can turn them inside and out already.
3. If you are washing new colored clothes, you would want to soak them in warm water first and add a half a cup of distilled white vinegar. This can help set acid-based dye in clothes. Check the back tag of your garment and find out what kind of dye was used to color it. Soak your garments in this mixture for at least an hour.
For berry-based dye, use the mixture of salt and water. Soak your garments in this mixture for at least an hour. This will help set the color of the fabric and prevent dye from running.
4. Use an appropriate cleaning solution. You would want to use a laundry detergent that can make your bright clothes appear brighter. Avoid using detergent soaps with bleaching agents as they will surely discolour or stain your garments. Let the washer work in cleaning your clothes.
5. Use cold water temperature when cleaning colored clothes. Hot water tends to cause bleeding. You would want to use cold water to set the dye.
6. After the cleaning, rinsing and the spinning cycle, immediately hang your clothes up to dry or place them inside the dryer to dry completely. Since there is still moisture in the fibers of your clothes, there is still a chance that it can stain your other clothes. Immediately remove your clothes from the washer drum and let them dry.
7. When drying clothes in the dryer, do not mix colored garments with white clothes. When hanging them, try placing the colored garments on one side of the clothes line.