This may not sit well with some folk , But the Great Commission was not given to the church , but was given by Christ to them he has sent , The Apostles .
We are on the other hand are the BUILDING THAT SHALL BE BUILT ON THAT FOUNDATION of The Apostle's message .
As it is written :Ephesians 2: 19. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20. And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21. In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22. In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
The Church continues in us , buy the very words of Christ, through the anointing that the Apostles recieved of God .
Mark 16:15. And he said unto them [not us], Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20. And they[not us] went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
We read of these signs that came to past in scripture .
Our duty is to continue building on the foundation of The Apostles and Prophets . All of us get our message from the same word of the Apostles laid out for us in a bible
We all read the same words, The one that reads the Bible is the one that is Called to salvation and The one that write the line upon line and precept upon precept is the one sent .
THE CHURCH IS THE BUILDING , BUT THE APOSTLES AND PROPHETS ARE THE FOUNDATION ,JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF BE THE CHIEF CORNER STONE OF THAT FOUNDATION .
1 Corinthians 3: 10. According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon.
But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
11. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13. Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
16. Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
The question is, what kind of building is being built on a well structured foundation ?
If the church is built properly according to the Apostle doctrine . The Lord will add to the church .
Acts 2:40. And with many other words did he[Peter] testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
41. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
42. And they [continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship], and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
43. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
44. And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
45. And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
46. And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
47. Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord[not us] added to the church daily such as should be saved.
My brothers, Lean not to your own understanding .