Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > The KENOSIS (SELF-EMPTYING) of Jesus Christ, God the Son

Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 PM

Lightbulb The KENOSIS (SELF-EMPTYING) of Jesus Christ, God the Son

In this last hour of the Christmas Season, as it comes to a close, on this Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, ... I post some considerations on the manner of Christ's Self-Abasement, His KENOSIS . . .

(1) His Eternal Kenosis by which the Son gives Himself and all that He has Eternally received Wholly and Totally BACK to the Father IN RETURN:
"Then Jesus answered, and said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you, the Son cannot do any thing of Himself, but what He seeth the Father doing: for what things soever He doth, these the Son also doth in like manner." (St. John 5:19)

"The Father loveth the Son: and He hath given all things into His Hand." (St. John 3:33)

"For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth Him all things which Himself doth: ..." (St. John 5:20)

Jesus said to His Father, "And all My things are Thine, and Thine are Mine; ..." (St. John 17:10)

"But that the world may know, that I love the Father: ... " (St. John 14:31)

"And now glorify Thou Me, O Father, with Thyself, with the glory which I had, BEFORE THE WORLD WAS, with Thee." (St. John 17:5)

(2) His Kenosis in the Fullness of Time by which the Uncreated and Eternal Son assumes a Created Human Nature in the likeness of our sinful flesh and born under the Old Law:
"But when the Fullness of the Time was come, God sent His Son, made of a Woman, made under the law: That He might redeem them who were under the law: that we might receive the adoption of sons." (Gal. 4:4-5)

"And the Word was made Flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we saw His Glory, the Glory as it were of the Only Begotten of the Father,) full of grace and Truth." (St. John 1:14)

"GOD, Who, at sundry times and in divers manners, spoke in times past to the fathers by the prophets, last of all, IN THESE DAYS hath spoken to us by His Son, ..." (Hebrews 1:1-2)

"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh; God sending His own Son, in the likeness of sinful flesh and of sin, hath condemned sin in the flesh; ..." (Rom. 8:3)

"... Christ Jesus: Who being in the FORM of God, thought it not robbery to be EQUAL with God: But EMPTIED [EKENOSEN] Himself, taking the FORM of a servant, being made in the likeness of men, and in habit found as a Man." (Phil. 2:5-7)

(3) His Kenosis of Supreme Power, Safety, and Security by becoming as vulnerable as a defenseless baby whose life is pursued by king Herod:
"And after they were departed, behold an angel of the Lord appeared in sleep to Joseph, saying: Arise, and take the Child and His Mother, and fly into Egypt: and be there until I shall tell thee. For it will come to pass that Herod will seek the Child to destroy Him." (St. Matthew 2:13)

(4) His Kenosis of material wealth and possessions and shelter by being born to a poor family and by not finding any room for Him at the INN:
"And she brought forth her Firstborn Son, and wrapped Him up in swaddling clothes, and laid Him in a manger; because there was NO ROOM for them in the inn." (St. Luke 2:7)

"And after the days of her purification, according to the law of Moses, were accomplished, they carried Him to Jerusalem, to present Him to the Lord: As it is written in the law of the Lord: Every male opening the womb shall be called holy to the Lord: And to offer a sacrifice, according as it is written in the law of the Lord, a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons: ..." (St. Luke 2:22-24)

(5) His Kenosis of legitimate Sonship since by the fact of the Virgin Birth others probably dishonored Him (and His Mother) by calling Him a "b a s t a r d":
"Now the generation of Christ was in this wise. When as His Mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, BEFORE they came together, she was found with Child, of the Holy Ghost, Whereupon Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing PUBLICLY to expose her, was minded to put her away PRIVATELY." (St. Matthew 1:18-19)

Jesus said to the Pharisees, "You do the works of your father. They said therefore to Him: We are not BORN OF FORNICATION: we have one Father, even God.

Jesus therefore said to them: If God were your Father, you would indeed love Me. For from God I proceeded, and came; for I came not of Myself, but He sent Me: Why do you not know my speech? Because you cannot hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and he stood not in the truth; because truth is not in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.

But if I say the truth, you believe Me not. Which of you shall convince Me of sin? If I say the truth to you, why do you not believe Me: He that is of God, heareth the words of God. Therefore you hear them not, because you are not of God.

The Jews therefore answered, and said to Him: Do not we say well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil? Jesus answered: I have not a devil: but I honour My Father, and you have DISHONOURED Me." (St. John 8:41-49)

"But if you be without chastisement, whereof all are make partakers, then are you BASTARDS, and NOT SONS." (Heb. 12:8)

(6) His Kenosis in the Domestic Sphere by which the Son of God becomes obedient and subject to His Mother and foster father and keeps the 4th Commandment:
"And He went down with them [Mary and Joseph], and came to Nazareth, and was SUBJECT to them. And His Mother kept all these words in her heart. And Jesus advanced in wisdom, and age, and grace with God and men." (St. Luke 2:51-52)

(7) His Kenosis of Sonship by which He becomes the REPUTED Son of Joseph, a mere human being and NOT the Heavenly Son of God:
"And Jesus Himself was beginning about the age of thirty years; being (AS IT WAS SUPPOSED) the son of Joseph, ..." (St. Luke 3:23)

"The Jews therefore murmured at Him, because He had said: I am the Living Bread which came down from Heaven. And they said: Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How then saith he, I came down from Heaven?" (St. John 6:41-42)

(8) His Kenosis of Self-Expression, of fully manifesting His Divinity before the unbelievers when He disguises His Divine Sonship behind the words/symbols used for the judges of Israel in order to elude them:
The Jews answered Him: For a good work we stone thee not, but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. Jesus answered them: Is it not written in your law: I said you are gods? If He called them gods, to whom the Word of God was spoken, and the Scripture cannot be broken; Do you say of Him Whom the Father hath sanctified and sent into the world: Thou blasphemest, because I said, I am the Son of God?" (St. John 10:33-36)

(9) His Social Kenosis by which God the Son accepts to receive a Baptism meant for sinners, thus showing His solidarity with sinners and His identification with them:
"John was in the desert baptizing, and preaching the baptism of PENANCE [REPENTANCE], unto remission of sins." (St. Mark 1:4)

"Then went out to him Jerusalem and all Judea, and all the country about Jordan: And were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins." (St. Matthew 3:5-6)

"... John baptized the people with the baptism of penance [repentance] ... " (Acts 19:4)

"Then cometh Jesus from Galilee, to the Jordan, unto John, to be baptized by him. But John stayed him, saying: I ought to be baptized by thee, and comest Thou to me? And Jesus answering, said to him: Suffer it to be so now. For so it becometh us to fulfill all justice [righteousness]. Then he suffered Him." (St. Matthew 3:13-15)

"For John came to you in the way of justice, and you did not believe him. But the publicans and the harlots believed him: but you, seeing it, did not even afterwards repent, that you might believe him." (St. Matthew 21:32)

John the Baptist said of Jesus, "And I knew Him not, but that He may be made manifest in Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water." (St. John 1:31)

"And it came to pass as He was sitting at meat in the house, behold many publicans and sinners came, and sat down with Jesus and His disciples. And the Pharisees seeing it, said to his disciples: Why doth your master eat with publicans and sinners? But Jesus hearing it, said: They that are in health need not a physician, but they that are ill. Go then and learn what this meaneth, I will have mercy and not sacrifice. For I am not come to call the just, but sinners." (St. Matthew 9:10-13)

"Him [Jesus], Who knew no sin, He [The Father]] hath made SIN for US, that we might be made the justice of God in Him." (2 Cor. 5:21)

(10) His Kenosis of Maternity, His Mother, full of grace, by which He leaves her side to preach and to heal and ultimately to move toward His HOUR (At the wedding at Cana) and by which He entrusts her to the Church in the person of St. John the Beloved Apostle.
"And Jesus saith to her: Woman, what is that to me and to thee? My HOUR is not yet come. His Mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever He shall say to you, DO YE." (St. John 2:4-5)

"This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee; and manifested His Glory, and His disciples believed in Him. After this He went down to Capharnaum, He and His Mother, and His brethren, and His disciples: and they remained there NOT MANY DAYS. And the Pasch [Passover] of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem." (St. John 2:11-13)

"When Jesus therefore had seen His Mother and the disciple standing whom He loved, He saith to His Mother: Woman, behold thy son. After that, He saith to the disciple: Behold thy Mother. And from that HOUR, the disciple took her to his own." (St. John 19:26-27)

(11) His Kenosis of food ... The Son experienced hunger and temptation in the desert:
"THEN Jesus was led by the spirit into the desert, to be tempted by the devil. And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterwards He was HUNGRY. And the tempter coming said to Him: If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made BREAD. Who answered and said: It is written, Not in bread alone doth man live, but in every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." (St. Matthew 4:1-4)

(12) His Kenosis of home … the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His Head:
"And Jesus saith to him: The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air nests: but the Son of Man hath not where to lay His Head." (St. Matthew 8:20)

(13) His Kenosis of family … the Son is rejected by His own hometown and His own kin:
"AND going out from thence, He went into His own country; and His disciples followed Him. And when the sabbath was come, He began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing Him were in admiration at His Doctrine, saying: How came this MAN by all these things? and what wisdom is this that is given to Him, and such mighty works as are wrought by His Hands?

Is not this the carpenter, The Son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joseph, and Jude, and Simon? are not also His sisters here with us? And they were scandalized in regard of Him.

And Jesus said to them: A Prophet is not without honour, BUT in his own country, and in his own house, and among his own kindred. And He could not do any miracles there, only that He cured a few that were sick, laying His Hands upon them. And He WONDERED because of their UNBELIEF, and He went through the villages round about teaching." (St. Mark 6:1-6)

"He came unto His own, and His own received Him NOT." (St. John 1:11)

(14) His Kenosis of Fame, by growing up in an unpopular or unexpected town:
"Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith to him: We have found Him of Whom Moses in the law, and the prophets did write, Jesus the son of Joseph of Nazareth.

And Nathanael said to him: Can any thing of good come from Nazareth? ..." (St. John 1:45-46)

"I receive not glory from men." (St. John 5:41)

(15) His Kenosis of Temporal Rule ... the Son is subject to the laws of Caesar:
"Then the Pharisees going, consulted among themselves how to insnare Him in His Speech. And they sent to Him their disciples with the Herodians, saying: Master, we know that thou art a true speaker, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any man: for thou dost not regard the person of men. Tell us therefore what dost thou think, is it LAWFUL to give tribute to Caesar, or not?

But Jesus knowing their wickedness, said: Why do you tempt Me, ye hypocrites? Shew Me the coin of the tribute. And they offered Him a penny. And Jesus saith to them: Whose image and inscription is this?

They say to Him: Caesar's. Then He saith to them: Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God, the things that are God's.

And hearing this they wondered, and leaving Him, went their ways." (St. Matthew 22:15-22)

"When the chief priests, therefore, and the servants, had seen Him, they cried out, saying: Crucify Him, Crucify Him. Pilate saith to them: Take Him you, and Crucify Him: for I find no cause [guilt] in Him." (St. John 19:6)

"Pilate therefore saith to Him: Speakest Thou not to me? knowest Thou not that I have POWER to Crucify Thee, and I have POWER to release Thee? Jesus answered: Thou shouldst not have ANY POWER against Me, unless it were given thee from ABOVE. ..." (St. John 19:10-11)

(16) His Military (Department of Defense) Kenosis ... The Son refrained from slaying His enemies in Self-Defense:
"... Then they came up, and laid hands on Jesus, and held Him. And behold one of them that were with Jesus, stretching forth his hand, drew out his sword: and striking the servant of the high priest, cut off his ear. Then Jesus saith to him: Put up AGAIN thy sword into its place: FOR ALL THAT TAKE THE SWORD SHALL PERISH WITH THE SWORD.

Thinkest thou that I cannot ask My Father, and He will give Me presently more than twelve legions of Angels? How then shall the Scriptures be fulfilled, that so it must be done?" (St. Matthew 26:50-54)

"And when His disciples James and John had seen this, they said: Lord, wilt Thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them? And turning, He rebuked them, saying: You know not of what spirit you are. The Son of Man came not to destroy souls, but to SAVE. And they went into another town." (St. Luke 9:54-56)

"Jesus answered: My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would certainly strive that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now my kingdom is not from hence." (St. John 18:36)

(17) His Kenosis of Appearance … the Son takes on the appearance of Bread and Wine in the Holy Eucharist and Hides Himself under these forms as the Hidden Manna and Savior of the World and in every Catholic Tabernacle throughout the world He dwells as a Prisoner of Love waiting for us to visit Him:
"The chalice of benediction, which we bless, is it not the communion of the Blood of Christ? And the bread, which we break, is it not the partaking of the Body of the Lord?" (1 Cor. 10:16)

"... To him that overcometh, I will give the Hidden Manna, ..." (Apocalypse 2:17)

"Verily Thou art a Hidden God, the God of Israel the Saviour." (Isaiah 45:15)

"And it came to pass, whilst He was at table with them, He took bread, and blessed, and brake, and gave to them. And their eyes were opened, and they knew Him: and He vanished out of their sight." (St. Luke 24:30-31)

(18) His Kenosis of Lordship … the Son assumes the role of a Servant though He is Lord and Master and washes His Disciples feet:
"He riseth from Supper, and layeth aside His garments, and having taken a towel, girded Himself. After that, He putteth water into a basin, and began to wash the feet of the disciples, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith He was girded." (St. John 13:4-5)

"Then after He had washed their feet, and taken His garments, being set down again, He said to them: KNOW YOU what I have done to you? You call Me Master, and Lord; and you say well, for so I AM.

If then I being your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an EXAMPLE, that as I have done to you, so you do also. Amen, amen I say to you: The servant is not greater than his lord; neither is the apostle greater than He that sent him." (St. John 13:12-16)

"Even as the Son of Man is not come to be ministered unto, but to minister [serve], and to give His life a redemption for many." (St. Matthew 20:28)

(19) His Kenosis of His Human Will … the Son of God learns obedience from what He suffered in His Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane and accepts to drink the cup that the Father gives Him to drink.
"... He began to grow sorrowful and to be sad. Then He saith to them: My soul is sorrowful even unto death: stay you here, and watch with Me. And going a little farther, He fell upon His face, praying, and saying: My Father, if it be possible, let this CHALICE pass from Me. Nevertheless not as I will, but as Thou wilt." (St. Matthew 26:37-39)

"Jesus therefore said to Peter: Put up thy sword into the scabbard. The Chalice which My Father hath given Me, shall I not drink it? Then the band and the tribune, and the servants of the Jews, took Jesus, and BOUND Him: and they led Him away ..." (St. John 18:11-13)

"And whereas INDEED He was the Son of God, He LEARNED obedience by the things which He suffered: And being consummated, He became, to all that obey Him, the Cause of Eternal Salvation." (Hebrews 5:8-9)

"The Lord God hath opened my ear, and I do not resist: I have not gone back." (Isaiah 50:5)

(20) His Kenosis of the senses … the Son of God gives His back to those that scourged Him:
"Then he released to them Barabbas, and having SCOURGED Jesus, delivered Him unto them to be Crucified." (St. Matthew 27:26)

"I have given My Body to the STRIKERS, and my cheeks to them that plucked them: I have not turned away my face from them that rebuked Me, and spit upon Me." (Isaiah 50:6)

(21) His Kenosis of Honor/Ego Satisfaction … the Son of God is derided and mocked and crowned with thorns though He is the King of Kings and Lord of lords:
"Then the soldiers of the governor taking Jesus into the hall, gathered together unto Him the whole band; And stripping Him, they put a scarlet cloak about Him. And platting a Crown of Thorns, they put it upon His Head, and a reed in His Right Hand. And bowing the knee before him, they mocked him, saying: Hail, King of the Jews! And spitting upon Him, they took the reed, and struck His Head. And after they had mocked Him, they took off the cloak from Him, and put on Him His own garments, and led Him away to Crucify Him." (St. Matthew 27:31)

"The Lord is My Helper, therefore am I not confounded: therefore have I set My Face as a most hard rock, and I know that I shall not be confounded." (Isaias 50:7)

(22) His Kenosis of strength and freedom … the Son of God assumes the yoke of the Cross and carries the burdens of the sins of the world which is our bondage and slavery upon Himself:
"Then therefore he delivered Him to them to be Crucified. And they took Jesus, and led Him forth. And bearing His own Cross, He went forth to the place which is called Calvary, but in Hebrew Golgotha." (St. John 19:16-17)

"Surely He hath borne our infirmities and carried our sorrows: ..." (Isaias 53:4)

"But He was wounded for our iniquities, He was bruised for our sins: the chastisement of our peace was upon Him, and by His bruises we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray, every one hath turned aside into His own way: and the Lord hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all." (Isaias 53:5-6)

(23) His Kenosis of Life and mobility … the Son of God is nailed and fixed to the Cross and dies so that we may live and move and have our being in Him.
"... Golgotha. Where they Crucified Him, and with Him two others, one on each side, and Jesus in the midst."

Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all things were accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said: I thirst. Now there was a vessel set there full of vinegar. And they, putting a sponge full of vinegar about hyssop, put it to His mouth. Jesus therefore, when He had taken the vinegar, said: It is Consummated. And bowing His Head, He gave up the ghost.

But after they were come to Jesus, when they saw that He was already DEAD, they did not break His legs. But one of the soldiers with a spear opened His side, and immediately there came out BLOOD and WATER." (St. John 19:28-30, 33-34)

"He humbled Himself, becoming obedient unto death, even to the death of the Cross. For which cause God also hath exalted Him, and hath given Him a Name which is above ALL names: That in the Name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those that are in heaven, on earth, and under the earth: And that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is IN the Glory of God the Father." (Phil. 2:8-11)

"Therefore will I distribute to Him very many, and He shall divide the spoils of the strong, because He hath delivered His Soul unto death, and was REPUTED with the wicked: and He hath borne the sins of many, and hath prayed for the transgressors." (Isaias 53:12)

"Therefore doth [this is why] the Father love[s] Me: because I lay down my life, that I may take it again. No man taketh it away from Me: but I lay it down of Myself, and I have power to lay it down: and I have power to take it up again. This commandment have I received of My Father." (St. John 10:17-18)

(24) His Kenosis of Soul, as the Son descended into the Netherworld to preach to the souls in prison the Good News and to set them FREE:
"Because Christ also died once for our sins, the just for the unjust: that He might offer us to God, being put to death indeed in the flesh, but enlivened in the spirit, In which also coming He preached to those spirits that were in prison: ..." (1 St. Peter 3:18-19)

"Now that He ascended, what is it, but because He also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended above all the heavens, that He might FILL all things." (Eph. 4:9-10)

Praised be Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God,
in His Self-abasement, for each and every one of us!

A. H. J. E.

After the Heart of Jesus Evangelist

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

When Jesus, the Living Bread, says IS He means IS.

Last edited by AHJE : 01-13-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 AM

Default Re: The KENOSIS (SELF-EMPTYING) of Jesus Christ, God the Son

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Knights of the Forum

^^^Interesting postings, Alex (AHJE)! Thank you for posting these!

Peace be with you!
The humble, meek, merciful, just, pious and devout souls are everywhere of one religion; and when death has taken off the mask, they will know one another though the divers liveries they wear here make them strangers.
William Penn (1644-1718) from Some Fruits of Solitude (1718)
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLAND View Post
^^^Interesting postings, Alex (AHJE)! Thank you for posting these!

Peace be with you!

My pleasure HOLLAND.

I just finished reading them and viewing them at once. ... The Self-abasement of Christ touches me profoundly. We all need to learn humility and it hurts to find out that we haven't.

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM

Arrow Re: The KENOSIS (SELF-EMPTYING) of Jesus Christ, God the Son

Praised be Jesus Christ!

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:26 PM

I just added a video to the OP (number 23).

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:58 PM

The Holy Eucharist through the eyes of St. Francis:

The Three Loves of St. Francis of Assisi:

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:21 PM

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.