Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > God is Spirit.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default God is Spirit.

The Bible says God is Spirit. Jesus says we must worship Him in spirit and in truth. Please share how we can worship Him in spirit and truth.

ped
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Knights of the Forum

Default Re: God is Spirit.

Hi ped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
The Bible says God is Spirit. Jesus says we must worship Him in spirit and in truth. Please share how we can worship Him in spirit and truth.

ped

I would say by walking in that light that we have been given. I will speak of this by speaking of a memory of the past. Memory discloses that of God, as Augustine of Hippo so eloquently spoke of in the Confessions.

The recent weather in the place that I live, Montana, has brought the first winter snow storms. It has brought back memories of when I had walked as a small boy in the foothills of Bald Butte in the Judith Mountains.

As I remember, I was up in the foothills of the great mountain in the early evening. The snow was whirling wildly about shrouding up the ground, the frozen grasses and rocks, the dull green of the pines, despite the sound of the wind that roared through them, despite the continual shaking of the snow off those pines. There was the continual roar of the wind through the pines which added a harmony, a kind of music, to the oncoming storm.

The storm set in and visibility began to drop and I had to consider getting off of the mountain and returning to my parent's cabin that was further down the mountain's slopes. Then in the swirling snow, and the cloud, the haze of white that enshrouds vision, I observed a blacktail buck deer come out of the snow and haze followed by several smaller does. The buck with dark serene eyes gazed at me, the snow settling down on his gray and brown fur. He seemed to stand his ground and challenge me. The smaller, more timid does following the buck, sensing danger ahead of them, also stopped and became motionless. After a long moment, the snow enshrouded the deer and I could no longer see them.

I approached to where they had stood where I had seen them. They were gone. There were no tracks in the snow because the wind and bl**ing snow was covering all tracks, all trace of movement in the snow.

For a moment, I wondered what I had seen, if I had seen it truly. I remembered, though, what my grandfather told me about taking the time to see something. Did I take the time to see it truly? I had truly seen it despite the fact that I no longer had trace of what I had seen. That sometimes happens in the wild.

So it is in matters of the Spirit. We are shrouded by all that which affects what we see in life, the snow and cloudy haze of self and others that impedes the ability to see the divine interworkings in things. We have to be silent to hear that which is being sounded at the moment.

God comes to us in Spirit; and, because of the experience, we know that it is from God. All Christian spiritual writers are agreed on this, even emphatic about these experiences. But we also have the light that we have been given by God, we see by His grace. The Spirit and the light engifted us forms the words of the Word delivered to us. The Word out of the wordless Word that emerges out of the great silence.

Shall we do what the Word says? Did it illuminate the written Word of God, the Bible that we cherish? Is it helping us to worship God as we ought?

But sometimes, the snow and cloudy haze of self and others that impedes the ability to see the workings of God's Spirit permits, if we are not faithful, a questioning of the Word that has been given to us. We can still lose it, much like I had lost the vision of the buck and does upon the snow shrouded hillside. It is in the light that we have that the Spirit brings disclosure. The light is God's Light engifted unto us, a working of His grace.

Let us cling and walk in the light of the Spirit as God has given us.

Peace be with you!
The humble, meek, merciful, just, pious and devout souls are everywhere of one religion; and when death has taken off the mask, they will know one another though the divers liveries they wear here make them strangers.
William Penn (1644-1718) from Some Fruits of Solitude (1718)

Last edited by HOLLAND : 11-15-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:14 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:

ped
By being in that spirit.
Dead to the flesh.
Dying as much as we can by imagination of what is spirit, inspiring the heart.

Isaiah 66:2
Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?” declares the Lord. “These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word.

Loving the Holy Spirit who implants this truth.
Coming from God through loving the Son.

Last edited by CinderAsh : 11-16-2013 at 03:19 AM. Reason: a comma
Old 11-16-2013, 05:23 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:

ped
To my ears, "Spirit and Truth" means not just spirit. It means also Truth, which need not be spirit.

So we worship in spirit, but also in truth, truth being the Eucharist, Baptism, good works, and a whole host of things.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 11-17-2013, 03:56 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
To my ears, "Spirit and Truth" means not just spirit. It means also Truth, which need not be spirit.

So we worship in spirit, but also in truth, truth being the Eucharist, Baptism, good works, and a whole host of things.
Is God made of wood or statue ?

ped
Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:

Quote:
Is God made of wood or statue ?
No He is not. Did I say He was?

I am trying to say that "Spirit and Truth" means we worship Him in Spirit AND in whatever is True, and true things can be other than spirit, such as the Eucharist, Baptism, good works, and a whole host of things.

Spirit and Truth does not mean Spirit alone. If it did, then Jesus would have just said to worship in Spirit only.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 11-17-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
No He is not. Did I say He was?

I am trying to say that "Spirit and Truth" meas we worship Him in Spirit AND in whatever is True, and true things can be other that spirit, such as the Eucharist, Baptism, good works, and a whole host of things.

Spirit and Truth does not mean Spirit alone. If it did, then Jesus would have just said to worship in Spirit only.
And the TRUTH became FLESH. Can't forget that.

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

When Jesus, the Living Bread, says IS He means IS.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Knight of the Forum

Thats true as well

Old 11-18-2013, 03:18 AM
Knight of the Forum

21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

In this portion of the conversation, Jesus is discussing worship with the Samarian woman. He is foreshadowing the replacement of the Mosaic law with the Higher law. At this time, most worship was done through the law and it's rituals, Jesus taught worship through obedience to the principles, or spirit, behind the laws. He taught that why we do things is as important as what we do.

Our Heavenly Father is not impressed with hypocritical obedience. He want's us to do the right thing, because it's the right thing, not because it's required by the law. This is how we worship in spirit, be being sincere in our obedience to and love for Him.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Knight of the Forum

We stay focused on the truth and believe that truth enough to walk in it.
Its one thing to believe in God. Its another thing to believe God. When we believe God, we listen to His advice on living and try to do it.

The problem Jesus had with the Jewish leadership was that they used the Law against itself, looking for loopholes, and using those loopholes to do as they pleased. They might as well just be an unbelieving Gentile, because they're heart is not in it. Following the intention of the Law is the Spirit.
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.