Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > original sin revisited

Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Default original sin revisited

I would like to open a discussion which I have chosen to title, "original sin revisited."
Let me begin by saying that I am certain that we all know that the very basic sin that started it all at the dawn of creation was "disobedience." However, I have come to believe that there is much more to it than mere disobedience on the part of the first humans who were created and placed in the garden. Let's think for a moment about their environment. They were in a beautiful garden and had already had a conversation with God who informed them that everything in the garden was free for the taking except the fruit of one special tree, the "tree of knowledge of good and evil." Now let's move on to the next step. The first family was created with a mind and surely must have realized how grand God was to have created everything, including themselves. All they had to do is look around and see the wonder of their surroundings. Now comes the next step, the serpent or tempter comes and lies to the female man of the family and says, "you won't die if you eat, you will be just like God having knowledge of good and evil." What a temptation, to be just like God who created this beautiful place and all. Sounds too good to be true, but maybe it is worth a try. So now the downward spiral of human indignity begins all because two people considered that being like God was worth the risk to disobey the one rule they had been given, not to eat of the tree of knowledge.
Now I have to ask a question. Has anything changed after all these years? No, in my opinion, we still have individuals who think that they have the knowledge to take the basic Word of God, the history that has been provided humanity down through the ages and tell God what is right and what is wrong. The first heresy in the Christian faith was the Gnostic movement that was based on the premise that one had to keep gaining more and more knowledge in order to get closet to God and now we have a large number of who have gone to seminary, studied and acquired knowledge to the point that they proclaim that they know better than all others what the Word of God as contained in Holy Scriptures has to say about what is sin and what isn't sin. I would like to close this out with these words. I believe sin is anything that goes against the natural order of events that God created at the dawn of creation. That includes sexual sins that take place between two people of the same sex and those that take place between individuals of the opposite sex that have not been joined in holy marriage. in conclusion, Original Sin becomes the sin of seeking be God and that is very prevalent in our world today with world leaders as we have seen with Hitler and others and continue to see in our own country these days
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: original sin revisited

See, disobedience may have gotten the ball rolling, but, I believe it was the refusal to take responsibility for their actions that got them in trouble. There was no confession, they tried to blame someone else, and they were not contrite.
You can't lie to Father and get away with it.
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:56 PM

Thank you for your reply. I agree with you 100%. the woman wanted to blame the serpent and the man wanted to blame the woman. What most people overlook these days as well as all down through the ages is that both of the first humans knew the will of God and heard him tell them what would happen if they didn't obey his Word. people down through the ages has still failed to accept responsibility for their evil actions, including many in the liberal clergy circles of the present time.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMillerSr View Post
Now comes the next step, the serpent or tempter comes and lies to the female man of the family and says, "you won't die if you eat, you will be just like God having knowledge of good and evil." What a temptation, to be just like God who created this beautiful place and all. Sounds too good to be true, but maybe it is worth a try. So now the downward spiral of human indignity begins all because two people considered that being like God was worth the risk to disobey the one rule they had been given, not to eat of the tree of knowledge.
Now I have to ask a question. Has anything changed after all these years? No, in my opinion, we still have individuals who think that they have the knowledge to take the basic Word of God, the history that has been provided humanity down through the ages and tell God what is right and what is wrong. The first heresy in the Christian faith was the Gnostic movement that was based on the premise that one had to keep gaining more and more knowledge in order to get closet to God and now we have a large number of who have gone to seminary, studied and acquired knowledge to the point that they proclaim that they know better than all others what the Word of God as contained in Holy Scriptures has to say about what is sin and what isn't sin.
I can agree here with you somewhat because of indoctrination by some groups with what may seem wrong guidance but I have to ask where and how did you get scriptural authority to make judgement on those who do intense study of the Word of God, through seminary or other means, to become in a position of teaching and care?

How much study of the Bible have you done and have you ever read it from cover to cover?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 PM

I have studied formally in seminary when I entered the ministry and spent 30 years teaching and preaching.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
I have studied formally in seminary when I entered the ministry and spent 30 years teaching and preaching.
Why is it you have been outspoken of the very thing you have done yourself?
Have you had bad experiences with others you were educated with?
Are there ministers like yourself you have no problem with?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM

I am not sure if I understand what you are referring to when you write "you have been outspoken of the very thing you have done yourself?" If you are talking about my being outspoken on the matter of sin, I admit, I am guilty, but I am also very much aware of my own sin and take care not to let it go unrepented. At the same time, I need to make it clear that my stand against sin is not a condemnation of the sinners, but a call to encourage sinners to repent and turn back to God. If you read through the Old Testament, you cannot miss the fact that the OT prophets were constantly chiding the ancient Hebrew people to repent and turn from their sins of disobedience to the laws of God and turn back to being a faithful people living in harmony with God will and purpose. I will affirm something I was taught early on in my journey to where I am today and that was that we are all called to love the sinner, but hate the sin and that includes loving homosexual people as children of God's creation.

Last edited by LMillerSr : 10-30-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
I am not sure if I understand what you are referring to when you write "you have been outspoken of the very thing you have done yourself?" If you are talking about my being outspoken on the matter of sin, I admit, I am guilty, but I am also very much aware of my own sin and take care not to let it go unrepented. At the same time, I need to make it clear that my stand against sin is not a condemnation of the sinners, but a call to encourage sinners to repent and turn back to God. If you read through the Old Testament, you cannot miss the fact that the OT prophets were constantly chiding the ancient Hebrew people to repent and turn from their sins of disobedience to the laws of God and turn back to being a faithful people living in harmony with God will and purpose. I will affirm something I was taught early on in my journey to where I am today and that was that we are all called to love the sinner, but hate the sin and that includes loving homosexual people as children of God's creation.
You said:

Quote:
on the premise that one had to keep gaining more and more knowledge in order to get closet to God and now we have a large number of who have gone to seminary, studied and acquired knowledge to the point that they proclaim that they know better than all others what the Word of God as contained in Holy Scriptures has to say about what is sin and what isn't sin.
You also said:

Quote:
At which I asked:

Why is it you have been outspoken of the very thing you have done yourself?
Have you had bad experiences with others you were educated with?
Are there ministers like yourself you have no problem with?