Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > What the Catholic Church teaches about Scripture

Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 PM
matt041187

Default What the Catholic Church teaches about Scripture

Some people claim that the Catholic Church has contempt for Scripture. In the official teachings of the Church Magisterium you will find the opposite.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

103 the Church has always venerated the Scriptures as she venerates the Lord's Body. She never ceases to present to the faithful the bread of life, taken from the one table of God's Word and Christ's Body.

104 In Sacred Scripture, the Church constantly finds her nourishment and her strength, for she welcomes it not as a human word, "but as what it really is, the word of God". "In the sacred books, the Father who is in heaven comes lovingly to meet his children, and talks with them."

105 God is the author of Sacred Scripture. "The divinely revealed realities, which are contained and presented in the text of Sacred Scripture, have been written down under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."

"For Holy Mother Church, relying on the faith of the apostolic age, accepts as sacred and canonical the books of the Old and the New Testaments, whole and entire, with all their parts, on the grounds that, written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author, and have been handed on as such to the Church herself."

106 God inspired the human authors of the sacred books. "To compose the sacred books, God chose certain men who, all the while he employed them in this task, made full use of their own faculties and powers so that, though he acted in them and by them, it was as true authors that they consigned to writing whatever he wanted written, and no more."

107 The inspired books teach the truth. "Since therefore all that the inspired authors or sacred writers affirm should be regarded as affirmed by the Holy Spirit, we must acknowledge that the books of Scripture firmly, faithfully, and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures."

108 Still, the Christian faith is not a "religion of the book." Christianity is the religion of the "Word" of God, a word which is "not a written and mute word, but the Word is incarnate and living". If the Scriptures are not to remain a dead letter, Christ, the eternal Word of the living God, must, through the Holy Spirit, "open [our] minds to understand the Scriptures."

110 In order to discover the sacred authors' intention, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current. "For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression."

III. THE HOLY SPIRIT, INTERPRETER OF SCRIPTURE

111 But since Sacred Scripture is inspired, there is another and no less important principle of correct interpretation, without which Scripture would remain a dead letter. "Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written."

The Second Vatican Council indicates three criteria for interpreting Scripture in accordance with the Spirit who inspired it.

112 1. Be especially attentive "to the content and unity of the whole Scripture". Different as the books which compose it may be, Scripture is a unity by reason of the unity of God's plan, of which Christ Jesus is the center and heart, open since his Passover.

113 2. Read the Scripture within "the living Tradition of the whole Church". According to a saying of the Fathers, Sacred Scripture is written principally in the Church's heart rather than in documents and records, for the Church carries in her Tradition the living memorial of God's Word, and it is the Holy Spirit who gives her the spiritual interpretation of the Scripture

114 3. Be attentive to the analogy of faith. By "analogy of faith" we mean the coherence of the truths of faith among themselves and within the whole plan of Revelation.

V. SACRED SCRIPTURE IN THE LIFE OF THE CHURCH

124 "The Word of God, which is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith, is set forth and displays its power in a most wonderful way in the writings of the New Testament" which hand on the ultimate truth of God's Revelation. Their central object is Jesus Christ, God's incarnate Son: his acts, teachings, Passion and glorification, and his Church's beginnings under the Spirit's guidance.

125 The Gospels are the heart of all the Scriptures "because they are our principal source for the life and teaching of the Incarnate Word, our Savior".

131 "And such is the force and power of the Word of God that it can serve the Church as her support and vigor, and the children of the Church as strength for their faith, food for the soul, and a pure and lasting fount of spiritual life." Hence "access to Sacred Scripture ought to be open wide to the Christian faithful."

132 "Therefore, the study of the sacred page should be the very soul of sacred theology. The ministry of the Word, too - pastoral preaching, catechetics and all forms of Christian instruction, among which the liturgical homily should hold pride of place - is healthily nourished and thrives in holiness through the Word of Scripture."

133 The Church "forcefully and specifically exhorts all the Christian faithful. . . to learn the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ, by frequent reading of the divine Scriptures. Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ. "
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: What the Catholic Church teaches about Scripture

Can we say anything other than, "Amen"?
The divisions that occurred in Europe 500 years ago grew out of politics and power struggles and all parties were guilty. Since V2, the Roman Catholic Church has been acknowledging/confessing the transgressions of the past, while clinging to the sacred traditions set in place by the early fathers.
I am a Catholic today because I came to realize that I had a belligerent attitude toward her, while feeling drawn to her at the same time. Of course, now I can see that the Lord had been calling me home to His Church, all along.
What I am not saying, and never would say, is that those professing Christians who are not Roman Catholic are not saved. I will say that they are not in full communion with the Church that Jesus and His Apostles established, and they do not realize how much they miss that communion until they look at that longing for unity and begin to question where it comes from and how it can be filled.
We are here, with our arms open wide to all who believe, ready to welcome you into that full communion and unity that we all long for and desire.
At every mass we joyfully sing, "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord". Of course we are speaking of Jesus, but also of His entire body, and we do recognize those who have broken away and left us.
We have not gone anywhere.
Bottom line, we are One body in Jesus Christ. Not 33,000. Some of us just don't realize it yet.
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

Last edited by thelowlyfisherman : 09-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 PM
matt041187

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelowlyfisherman View Post
Can we say anything other than, "Amen"?
The divisions that occurred in Europe 500 years ago grew out of politics and power struggles and all parties were guilty. Since V2, the Roman Catholic Church has been acknowledging/confessing the transgressions of the past, while clinging to the sacred traditions set in place by the early fathers.
I am a Catholic today because I came to realize that I had a belligerent attitude toward her, while feeling drawn to her at the same time. Of course, now I can see that the Lord had been calling me home to His Church, all along.
What I am not saying, and never would say, is that those professing Christians who are not Roman Catholic are not saved. I will say that they are not in full communion with the Church that Jesus and His Apostles established, and they do not realize how much they miss that communion until they look at that longing for unity and begin to question where it comes from and how it can be filled.
We are here, with our arms open wide to all who believe, ready to welcome you into that full communion and unity that we all long for and desire.
At every mass we joyfully sing, "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord". Of course we are speaking of Jesus, but also of His entire body, and we do recognize those who have broken away and left us.
We have not gone anywhere.
Bottom line, we are One body in Jesus Christ. Not 33,000. Some of us just don't realize it yet.
That's right the Church has confessed her mistakes and done much to try and make reparation and learn from the wrongdoings.

Thank you for that. I wonder if most people who verbally attack the Church also feel drawn to the Church at the same time.

As an infant were you baptized a Catholic?

Last edited by matt041187 : 09-10-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Knight of the Forum

You're on a roll Matt

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt041187 View Post
That's right the Church has confessed her mistakes and done much to try and make reparation and learn from the wrongdoings.

Thank you for that. I wonder if most people who verbally attack the Church also feel drawn to the Church at the same time.

As an infant were you baptized a Catholic?
Me? No. I was "Christened" Presbyterian. My wife has been Catholic since birth, and I began worshiping Catholic with her in 1983. I only converted a few years ago, but, I've been a Catholic at heart since before my wife and I met. I began to feel the draw in, oh, 1980 or there abouts. Thousands of different denominations never really made sense to me. Especially when so many of the churches confess the same Creed that believes in one holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. "One"! As in, One body of Christ? Yeah, that makes sense, but, then, why the fragmentation? That never did make sense to me. It kind of smacks of pride? 30,000 plus denomination all having slightly or majorly differing beliefs and all of them accusing the Catholic Church of following the "Doctrines of men". Really? Logic says that at least some of those 30,000 are following the doctrines of men, and sure enough, when you get on the inside of any of them, they have problems with each other, too.
Then the Lord gave me this scripture and it stuck with me;
Song of Solomon 1:8
"If you yourself do not know, Most beautiful among women, Go forth on the trail of the flock And pasture your young goats By the tents of the shepherds.

Of course the trail leads to the original Catholic Church, doesn't it? The Church that can trace its heritage back to Peter, and yes, Jesus Himself, with an unbroken chain. Every other denomination traces its heritage back to where?
Our beautiful, Holy Mother.
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

Last edited by thelowlyfisherman : 09-11-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelowlyfisherman View Post
Of course the trail leads to the original Catholic Church, doesn't it? The Church that can trace its heritage back to Peter, and yes, Jesus Himself, with an unbroken chain. Every other denomination traces its heritage back to where?
Our beautiful, Holy Mother.
Should we give credit to the other 11 apostles and Paul and Antipas and the Ethiopian eunuch and other faithful witnesses who went out and testified about Jesus?

20 “For,” said Peter, “it is written in the Book of Psalms:

“‘May his place be deserted;
let there be no one to dwell in it,’[e]
and,

“‘May another take his place of leadership.’[f]
21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”

23 So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

So they nominated two men from how many?

How many of the others went out testifying about Jesus and to where?
There are the seven churches of revelation.
There is the church grafted by the Ethiopian eunuch that Philip met that testified about Jesus.

I get the "Peter" thing but what are we to consider of the many others testifying of Christ and the churches that grew from them that might not be under the Roman Catholic name?

I would expect wherever the Holy Spirit is working would be of the Body of Christ.
I don't think the Holy Spirit would be bound by denomination.
It doesn't seem scripturally absolute.

I would say full communion would be with God with those without sin.
To have sin would be in communion with sinners.
Can that be full communion?

1 John 3:9

9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

I think this is important to put into perspective when speaking of full communion.

Maybe that spiritual, scriptural aspect isn't as important in phrasing.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt041187 View Post
That's news to me. I see generic statements but not much in the way of specific mistakes and even less reparation. Some of the people responsible for horrible deeds are still revered as saints. Ambrose and Cyril of Alexandria come to mind. No apologies that I know of and no reparations. Indeed Ambrose argued against reparations when the Emperor had already said there should be.

How they "confess" their mistakes wouldn't be tolerated from someone in the congregation. Would any confession end with, "Bless me Father for I have sinned?" I think not. Yet church hierarchy makes generic statements and thinks that's enough. It isn't.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
That's news to me. I see generic statements but not much in the way of specific mistakes.......
Why should someone have to specifically apologize for someone else's wrongdoings. I don't see protestants apologizing for the rampage of murdering Catholic priests right after the so-called reformation.

So some Catholic burned some heretic at the stake 600 years ago. Thats not my fault.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Why should someone have to specifically apologize for someone else's wrongdoings. I don't see protestants apologizing for the rampage of murdering Catholic priests right after the so-called reformation.
I'm not asking you to apologize. The assertion was made that the Catholic Church confessed its mistakes and even did reparations. I'm curious why that statement was made.

Quote:
So some Catholic burned some heretic at the stake 600 years ago. Thats not my fault.
But a corporate entity is responsible for its past actions. You can't claim the benefits of Apostolic succession without claiming the mistakes.

If I saw an Anglican saying something similar, I would also take him to task. Ditto a Lutheran. Ditto a Methodist or Southern Baptist. There's enough rubbish to go around, that's for sure. What annoys me is when someone claims to have confessed and repaired when I don't see it. I'd rather people let sleeping dogs lie than put on a false show.

One thing I was thinking of the Pope who said the Irish lacked true religion and told the English king to invade and convert them. That was a lie, to be sure, since the Irish were the bastion of Christianity during the Dark Ages; but it empowered the English king to do it; and that ushered in centuries of misery. Then later when England went Protestant, the Protestants persecuted the Catholics -- and all that happened because the British kings were handed Ireland by a Pope. Of course, if the Protestant monarchs of England had had an ounce of decency, they would have said they shouldn't be in Ireland since the Pope didn't have the right to give it to them; but hypocrites that they were, they hung onto it as if the Pope had the authority to give it to them while simultaneously remaining in rebellion against him and even persecuting Catholics.

As much as I regret the secularization of Ireland, I must admit that peace finally seems possible now that both Protestants and Catholics lack clout and people are less religious. For centuries the Irish Catholics suffered as a result of Pope Adrian IV's decision. I think some Bishop of Rome should at least express regret for such a disastrous move by Adrian.

I'm wondering now if Pope Benedict did anything or if Pope Francis will do anything about the Orthodox churches taken by violence by Catholics in the Ukraine. It was typical procedure -- talk one way as if resolution of the problems in the Ukraine was desirable while doing nothing to stop the violence or return the churches to the Orthodox. How can the Orthodox ever agree with the Catholics.

And why should the Russian Patriarch take smooth words from Rome seriously when the Catholics were sending missionaries to Russia -- as if being Russian Orthodox were not Christians? Those missionary efforts have slowed down; but I think an apology is in order if Rome wants to repair the relationship with Moscow.

All the competitive claimants to various Patriarchies should be dropped too, and apologies made. How many Patriarchs of Antioch can there be? I think there are four in full communion with Rome. Not one of them is the real one. Yet the Catholic Church has never apologized for claiming the right to set up competitors to other Patriarchs; and now they have under their own umbrella four Patriarchs of Antioch without being able to say who the real one is. These things are still going on. The current practice is let some posts fall vacant and not appoint a successor -- no apologies, no reparations, just pretend nothing happened.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post
Should we give credit to the other 11 apostles and Paul and Antipas and the Ethiopian eunuch and other faithful witnesses who went out and testified about Jesus?

20 “For,” said Peter, “it is written in the Book of Psalms:

“‘May his place be deserted;
let there be no one to dwell in it,’[e]
and,

“‘May another take his place of leadership.’[f]
21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.”

23 So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.

So they nominated two men from how many?

How many of the others went out testifying about Jesus and to where?
There are the seven churches of revelation.
There is the church grafted by the Ethiopian eunuch that Philip met that testified about Jesus.

I get the "Peter" thing but what are we to consider of the many others testifying of Christ and the churches that grew from them that might not be under the Roman Catholic name?

I would expect wherever the Holy Spirit is working would be of the Body of Christ.
I don't think the Holy Spirit would be bound by denomination.
It doesn't seem scripturally absolute.

I would say full communion would be with God with those without sin.
To have sin would be in communion with sinners.
Can that be full communion?

1 John 3:9

9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

I think this is important to put into perspective when speaking of full communion.

Maybe that spiritual, scriptural aspect isn't as important in phrasing.
Acts 1:15
At this time Peter stood up in the midst of the brethren (a gathering of about one hundred and twenty persons was there together ), and said,

Acts 2:1
When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place.

Acts 2
37 Now when they heard this, they were pierced to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brethren , what shall we do ?" 38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins ; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 "For the promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off, as many as the Lord our God will call to Himself." 40 And with many other words he solemnly testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation !" 41 So then, those who had received his word were baptized ; and that day there were added about three thousand souls. 42 They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe ; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles. 44 And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common ; 45 and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need. 46 Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being save

Ephesians 4
1 Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, 3 being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling ; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

No, its not just Peter. The early fathers were brothers and were as one. Even Paul paid homage to the elders and acknowledged One Body.

Last edited by thelowlyfisherman : 09-11-2013 at 09:16 AM.