Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Rev Dr J Stevenson: The First Rites

Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 PM

Default Rev Dr J Stevenson: The First Rites

I'm almost finished reading this fascinating book, published in 1989, which was probably given to me several years ago, but regretably wound up unread in a low shelf of my library.
The book summarizes and extends three BBC TV programs by Rev Stevenson on our earliest records of Christian Worship. In his preface, he states "those first stages of the Christian Era continue to be of vital importance. They have been far more formative on Christian Worship than any (most?) of us realize...we ignore these (first) crucial centuries at our peril."
I am hesitant to recommend the book before I'm finished, but am hopeful others who have read it will comment here. Chapters are presented on major elements of Worship: Prayer, Baptism, Eucharist, Ordination, Marriage and more.
In his conclusion, Rev Stevenson says the book poses 9 challenges for readers, and three important general issues. Is he right?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!