Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Jesus doesn't mention "hell"?

Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM

Default Jesus doesn't mention "hell"?

Question: If people were not afraid of hell, in particular, and death, in general, would people still cling to their religion?

As you know, according to the limited records we have, to get technical, Jesus doesn't speak of "hell" in the gospels at all. There are references to "hades and gehenna," both of which have been translated as "hell," originally by the King James translators; a less than accurate tradition that has carried over into our more modern translations (bibleforums.org).

Is scaring the "hell" out of people necessary?

All comments welcome )
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Jesus doesn't mention "hell"?

When Jesus does mention this state, it sounds like a condition I'd like to stay the hell away from, don't you?

To answer your question, if people didn't fear this negative state or dying, they might still have something they believe concerning what happens after death which might involve things like prayer, dreams, and certain actions.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Suspended for Review

Fear of punishment is not the best of motives, that's for sure; but if it makes the world a better place, it's better than nothing.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 PM

Apparently, there is a Kingdom of Heaven and we live with good and evil upon the earth... Figuratively speaking we live in "Hell" everyday. I think, I'd like a change of scenery and Heaven sounds PERFECT to me...

So, if you prove there isn't a Hell, that's great! I'd still rather see Heaven and be with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who gave his life that we might live.

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN

Matthew 5:20 (KJV) For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 23:13 (KJV) But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypcc View Post
Question: If people were not afraid of hell, in particular, and death, in general, would people still cling to their religion?

As you know, according to the limited records we have, to get technical, Jesus doesn't speak of "hell" in the gospels at all. There are references to "hades and gehenna," both of which have been translated as "hell," originally by the King James translators; a less than accurate tradition that has carried over into our more modern translations (bibleforums.org).

Is scaring the "hell" out of people necessary?

All comments welcome )

Those for whom hell is a real fear may or may not be clinging to a 'religion'.

Jesus was very explicit about the permanent separation for those who reject so great a salvation as He has provided. However the name isn't the most important aspect.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:46 AM

I don't feel preaching hell is as effective as preaching God's grace and love for us. I do believe in hell, I thteaching hell to the believers may motivate them to tell those who don't believe about God's love for them.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkthompson View Post
I don't feel preaching hell is as effective as preaching God's grace and love for us. I do believe in hell, I thteaching hell to the believers may motivate them to tell those who don't believe about God's love for them.
You know, it is different for different people.
Some people have not a clue of God's love for them and then others have trampled the grace of the Lord and are in real danger.

I know non Catholics don't like to hear it but when one goes to confession and confesses their sin, the priest is guided by the Spirit to address that person's spiritual need, be it a warning of hell or an admonition to repent and go and sin no more.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 AM

Peace to all;

--Matthew 10:28, Jesus said, "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

To me, the more important part of the above scripture is the 'what' (destroy) rather than the 'where' (hell).

--Again, peace be with you.

--John 14:1, Jesus said, "Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in 'God'; believe 'Also' in Me."

In the love of Christ, sincerely, The Real Milk Man.
God and His Son loves you, and I do too!
Whatever is the overflow of the heart, is what comes out of the mouth.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 PM

Maize, that's a good clarification for Confession that you have brought up. My father went to Confession every Saturday and I truly believe that his life would have really gone off the deep end without that regular time of accountability, a time he learned about as a very young child, having been an altar boy in Holy Rosary Church in Minnesota. Since I've seen both sides -- my Dad a Catholic, Mom a Protestant, I've seen over the years that there's a lot both sides don't know. It's good to talk about it.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypcc View Post
Your question as asked, presupposes that people have come to, and remain Christians because they are afraid of hell, in particular, and death, in general.
Is this the position you find yourself in?

Anyone having come to Christianity because they were afraid of hell, and death, have come for the wrong reasons to begin with.

Eph. 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

1Jn. 4:19
We love him, because he first loved us.

Where is there room for the fear you speak of?

If this is the Doctrine you have been taught, it is a false Doctrine.
In the Old Testament, there is only one word used in Hebrew for (HELL) - (SHEOL) which to them was nothing more than a place of the dead, not a place of punishment for sin, as we understand it to be.

H7585
שׁאל שׁאול
she'ôl she'ôl
sheh-ole', sheh-ole'
hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranian retreat), including its accessories and inmates: - grave, hell, pit.

The two words used in the New Testament being Greek, are in reference to the Hebrew words, they are difficult to explain easily, but which are descriptive of (Separation and Punishment).
The Greeks did not have a word for hell, as a place of separation from God and punishment, as we understand it to be.

G86
ᾅδης
hadēs
hah'-dace
G1492; properly unseen, that is, “Hades” or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell.

G1492
εἴδω
eidō
i'-do
A primary verb; used only in certain past tenses, the others being borrowed from the equivalent, properly to see (literally or figuratively); by implication (in the perfect only) to know: - be aware, consider, (have) known (-ledge), look (on), perceive, understand,- a watching from a distance):

G1067
γέεννα
geenna
gheh'-en-nah
Of Hebrew origin ([H1516]; valley of (the son of) Hinnom; gehenna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment: - hell.

H 1516
גּי גּיא
gay' gay
gah'ee, gah'ee
a gorge (from its lofty sides; hence narrow, but not a gully - valley.

So what we see is, whenever Jesus did use the words (Hades or Gehenna) they were specific to the context in which they were used. Hades being the separation from God where the person can see but not attain Heaven.
Jesus' use of the word Gehenna is, descriptive of the everlasting punishment of sinners.
We have to remember Jesus was speaking to the Jewish People, and they were aware of what went on in the Valley of Ge-Hinnom. (It was to them physically and visually descriptive of HELL).

Be Blessed
JIM