Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > There be some standing here. . . .

Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Suspended for Review

Default There be some standing here. . . .

Let us look at what the Scripture say of the coming of Christ, the coming of the kingdom, and the end of the world or world-age.

Matthew 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

Do you think the Gospel got preached to all the cities of Israel yet? If so, then you should believe the Son of man came.

Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.

Can you believe this? Can it really be true that Jesus returned and people saw him? That they heard Jesus say this and it was true?

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Was it? Paul says it was.

Colossians 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

People say how can it be? God has more than His human servants to preach the Gospel to every creature.

Revelation 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

Yet we have humans who still believe Jesus did not come and cannot come unless human missionaries reach every last person. And that after Paul says it was already preached to every creature!

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

This gets spun too by some who say "this generation" is our generation, refusing to accept what Jesus said earlier of it:

Matthew 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
Matthew 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Every stone was cast down. There were people of that generation who saw it. Thus all those things were fulfilled before the destruction of the Temple.

Mark 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

True or false?

Luke 9:26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels.
27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.

Yes or no?

John 1:50 Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.
51 And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

We do not read where Nathaniel saw this, but I think we can believe he did. Some may think Jesus meant Nathaniel would see this later, after he died and when he was resurrected; but that is a doubtful idea to me.

John 21:21 Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do?
22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?
24 This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things: and we know that his testimony is true.

Did John see Jesus come? I say he did. Not only does John say he heard a trumpet, he also says he saw Jesus and that he was caught up into Heaven.

Those are from the Gospels with an explanatory verse from Colossians. More later from the other books.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: There be some standing here. . . .

Romans 11:11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

Paul often writes emphatically, at times even using an exaggerated tone; but he is clear to me here. Something was about to happen.

1 Corinthians 1:7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul sounds urgent to me.

1 Corinthians 7:29 But this I say , brethren, the time is short: it remaineth, that both they that have wives be as though they had none;

Can he mean over 1900 years by saying the time is short?

1 Corinthians 10:10 Neither murmur ye , as some of them also murmured , and were destroyed of the destroyer.
11 Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

He pinpoints the "ends of the world" as being on that generation just as Jesus did.

1 Corinthians 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

Yet some say, not perceiving how anyone was changed, that they all slept without being changed. The "we" refers to us, not to the people Paul was talking to.

2 Corinthians 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
13 For we write none other things unto you, than what ye read or acknowledge; and I trust ye shall acknowledge even to the end;
14 As also ye have acknowledged us in part, that we are your rejoicing, even as ye also are ours in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Paul links "tribulation" and "the end" in this passage; and he places them in the era he was writing with the end to be expected soon.

Philippians 1:3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you,
4 Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy,
5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;
6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

How could they keep performing the good good until the day of Jesus Christ if they died?

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Paul is confident that some who were alive then would be changed before they saw death. The only way around this is to say the Philippians didn't have it happen but maybe we will. So they looked for Jesus in vain.

Philippians 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

To me, that's urgent. Soon. Not a few hundred years let alone almost 2000.

1 Timothy 6:13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;
14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

I believe Timothy did that.

Hebrews 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

They were the "last days" of that world.

Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

This is a promise to the Hebrews. If Jesus failed to appear to them, why would you think he would appear to you?

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
37 For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come and will not tarry.

What day did they see approaching? Surely the coming of Christ. I see no around this unless you want to think the author of Hebrews made a mistake.

James 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.
8 Be ye also patient ; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.
9 Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.

I cannot believe James meant to die and be in your grave and be patient there until the coming of the Lord. I cannot believe that. He is saying the coming is soon -- stand fast. The coming of the Lord was nigh.

1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
20 Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,

Peter agrees. Stand fast until the appearing of Jesus. They were in the "last time".

1 Peter 4:5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.
7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.
17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

Peter is clear to me. The "end of all things" was at hand. Yet so few can believe anything happened.

2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

More of the same urgency.

1 John 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

John says the world was passing away as he wrote. He said directly, "It is the last time." Finally we have various passages from Revelation saying the time was at hand, things would shortly happen, etc.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
3 Blessed is he that readeth , and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Revelation 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Revelation 22:6 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.
7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
10 And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.
12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

So why are people confused? I think perhaps they expect men in the flesh with carnal eyes will see Jesus coming. But Jesus said the coming of the kingdom was not observable like that.

Luke 17:20 And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM

Lightbulb Re: There be some standing here. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
Let us look at what the Scripture say of the coming of Christ, the coming of the kingdom, and the end of the world or world-age.
Alright ...

Quote:
Matthew 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.
Ver. 23. Flee into another. Tertullian, with some others, held it never lawful to fly in the time of persecutions, against both the doctrine and example of our Saviour, Christ. --- You shall not finish, &c. St. Chrysostom thinks the sense of these words is, you shall not go through, and have finished your preaching in all the cities of Israel, till I, who follow you, shall come, and join you again. Others expound it, till the coming of me, your Messias, shall be published, and owned after my resurrection. (Witham)
ST. MATTHEW - Chapter 10

Quote:
Do you think the Gospel got preached to all the cities of Israel yet? If so, then you should believe the Son of man came.
Is Jesus speaking of His Glorious Ressurrection?
Or is He speaking to them as a People (including those that are to come)?

Quote:
Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Ver. 27. Shall come in the glory. Jesus Christ wishing to shew his disciples the greatness of his glory at his future coming, reveals to them in this life as much as it was possible for them to comprehend, purposely to strengthen them against the scandal of his ignominious death. (St. Chrysostom)

Ver. 28. Till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. Some expound this, as fulfilled at his transfiguration, which follows in the next chapter. Others understand it of the glory of Christ, and of his Church, after his resurrection and ascension, when he should be owned for Redeemer of the world: and this state of the Christian Church might be called the kingdom of Christ. (Witham) --- This promise of a transitory view of his glory he makes, to prove that he should one day come in all the glory of his Father, to judge each man according to his works: not according to his mercy, or their faith, but according to their works. (St. Augustine, de verb. apos. serm. 35.) --- Again, asks St. Augustine, how could our Saviour reward every one according to his works, if there were no free will? (lib. ii. chap. 4. 5. 8, de act. *** Fœlic. Manich.) (Bristow)

ST. MATTHEW - Chapter 16

Quote:
Can you believe this? Can it really be true that Jesus returned and people saw him? That they heard Jesus say this and it was true?
I don't see why not.

Quote:
Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
Ver. 14. This gospel ... shall be preached in the whole world, to serve as a testimony to all nations, of the solicitude of heaven in having the doctrine of salvation announced to them. This then is a fifth sign, and not till then shall the consummation come. --- And then shall the consummation come. The end of the world, says St. Jerome. The destruction of Jerusalem, says St. Chrysostom and others. (Witham) --- If the final destruction of Jerusalem be here meant, the gospel had been preached throughout the major part of the then known world. See Romans x. and Colossians i. 6, 23. If the end of the world, there is the greatest probability that the true faith will have been announced to every part of the globe, before that period.
ST. MATTHEW - Chapter 24

Quote:
Was it? Paul says it was.

Colossians 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
23 If so ye continue in the faith, grounded and settled, and immoveable from the hope of the gospel which you have heard, which is preached in all the creation that is under heaven, whereof I Paul am made a minister.

COLOSSIANS - Chapter 1

As you can see, the DRB has it in the present tense.

Quote:
People say how can it be? God has more than His human servants to preach the Gospel to every creature.

Revelation 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
Ver. 6-7. Another Angel,...saying: Fear the Lord.[1] By this Angel are represented the preachers of the gospel, exhorting all men to the true faith and a good life. (Witham)

APOCALYPSE - Chapter 14

In the book of Revelation "Angels" may mean those who are Sent to Preach the Gospel.

Quote:
Yet we have humans who still believe Jesus did not come and cannot come unless human missionaries reach every last person. And that after Paul says it was already preached to every creature!
I am not so sure that is what St. Paul intended to say.

.... (Response to be continued ...)

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

When Jesus, the Living Bread, says IS He means IS.

Last edited by AHJE : 04-23-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM

Giuliano.

Yep. I mean, why would Paul suggest in Romans 10 that there was no excuse for the diaspora and the entire world not hearing their report? What's the point of being inspired by the Holy Spirit and being wrong about it? I mean, what else could he have been wrong about? Just saying.

Last edited by paralambano : 04-24-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralambano View Post
Giuliano.

Yep. I mean, why would Paul suggest in Romans 10 that there was no excuse for the world not hearing their report?
I had to look that up, P. Thanks for the reference. Let me quote it.

Romans 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

What a wonderful way of putting it: Their sound went into all the earth. Surely God had men speaking the Word of God resounding throughout the world.

How many ways God has of spreading the Good News. Here's another.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

And:

Job 33:14 For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.
15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;
16 Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,

There are even ways which may sound impossible to some people.

From the secular point of view, studying how people's minds work throughout history is fascinating. A book about Greek literature brought that to my attention. There was a shift in the way people thought. The way the Greeks thought about the supernatural changed. If you read the older literature, you see how they viewed themselves almost like puppets, without free will almost. If they felt angry, they thought Mars was inspiring them. If they felt amorous, they thought Venus was doing it to them. They had little sense of being independent creatures -- and I wonder if they were. It seems to me that a veil was lifted from their eyes, a veil that had hypnotized them into believing they were playthings of their gods.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 AM

We are not to know the hour He comes back if it was as soon as the gospel was preached in all of Israel that would be a time.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkthompson View Post
We are not to know the hour He comes back if it was as soon as the gospel was preached in all of Israel that would be a time.
You say, "we." He didn't tell us that. He told his disciples that. He told his disciples to be prepared since they didn't know when he would come.

Now note the context:

24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

So the rest of the chapter contains things that would happen before he came. Jesus said he didn't know the hour, but he could read the signs of the times.

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

If what you said is true, he could never come since as soon as he came, people would know the day and hour. I say he did come, and people today still don't know the day or hour. I assume John knew when Jesus appeared for him.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 AM

Giuliano;

Sorry for giving just the chapter not verse(s). I'm all thumbs on my cell and it's a pain to give it all, really it is on my cell. I usually give them when I can get to a desktop.

In any case, it's a wonderment for me that some today think that Paul's words over the imminent and the reach of the gospel must somehow only apply to them some 2,000 years later. The Sanhedrin were told that they'd see Jesus coming with God's might and somehow this can only mean the one today. Jesus was clear about why the daughters of Jerusalem would weep. Christians persecuted and dying calling out 'How long, Lord!" and the answer that the day is at hand some say means 2,000 years and counting. Paul, inspired, really didn't understand (as they apparently do) that there was no real urgency to Christ's coming because history has somehow proven him mistaken.

Does a hope deferred make the heart sick? Is this the end of faith?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralambano View Post
Giuliano;

Sorry for giving just the chapter not verse(s). I'm all thumbs on my cell and it's a pain to give it all, really it is on my cell. I usually give them when I can get to a desktop.
No problem. What happened was I looked it up to reread it; and when it was at my fingertips, I copied and pasted it in case someone else was like me. . .

Quote:
In any case, it's a wonderment for me that some today think that Paul's words over the imminent and the reach of the gospel must somehow only apply to them some 2,000 years later.
It is a wonderment to me too. It's as if people crave excitement in their lives and think this has to mean them. So we get people saying the end is nigh, expect the antichrist, the rapture is coming (if they don't predict a date) and so on. I was stunned by the recent news from South America where people in some cult thought a baby was the antichrist and they burned it alive. No, I'm not joking -- you can red the horrible story if you have the stomach for it at Chilean Cult Burns Three-Day-Old Baby Alive; Believed Child Was Antichrist | Fox News Latino. Then we have a large number of Americans who think President Obama might be "the antichrist." As madcap as it sounds, it's true according to a recent poll -- that story is at One in four Americans think Obama may be the antichrist, survey says | World news | guardian.co.uk.

Quote:
The Sanhedrin were told that they'd see Jesus coming with God's might and somehow this can only mean the one today.
Quite right. That's in the Good Book. Similarly those who pierced him would see him according to Revelation. People ignore these passages without explaining them while often claiming to base their views on the Bible alone. It's amazing to me. Sometimes I wonder if people really believe the Bible or just say they do and then look for the passages that seem to support their views.

Quote:
Jesus was clear about why the daughters of Jerusalem would weep. Christians persecuted and dying calling out 'How long, Lord!" and the answer that the day is at hand some say means 2,000 years and counting. Paul, inspired, really didn't understand (as they apparently do) that there was no real urgency to Christ's coming because history has somehow proven him mistaken.
And "this generation" somehow also gets spun to mean "our generation" today. And alas, they do not see how they place themselves about Paul and the other authors by pretending their wisdom is greater than the authors of the Scriptures. I was a child of probably about eight when our minister read one of the passages which show the soon return of Jesus. He said, "This didn't happen then; but it's still the truth because the disciples believed it would happen then." What? I knew as a child something was wrong with his take on things. If the disciples erred about that, why believe anything they wrote?
Quote:
Does a hope deferred make the heart sick? Is this the end of faith?
I fear some people do fall away over such things. I think people like Harold Camping, no matter what his motives were, undermine Christianity and make it a laughingstock among non-Christians. I wonder what his followers are doing now?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM

Matt 25:1-13

1“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6“At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’

7“Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’

9“ ‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’

10“But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

11“Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’

12“But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’

13“Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

Regardless of "when" He comes, we "are" to keep watch and be ready.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.