Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Communion

Old 02-04-2013, 05:12 PM

Default Communion

Why are Christians of the belief, Communion can only take place in a Church?
Were Jesus and the Disciples in a Church when Jesus instituted Communion?
Jesus said, as often as you do this.

Luk 22:17-20
17) And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves:
18) For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
19) And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
20) Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Why do we as Christians limit how often we Remember our Lord?

1Cor. 11:26
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Have Communion often if not every meal, as you break bread with your family. Communion is not something which can only be officiated over by a Priest, or Pastor Ordained by a Church or Denomination.
We, the children of the living God are Kings and Priests Ordained by Jesus.

Rev 1:5,6
5) And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
6) And (HATH MADE US KINGS AND PRIESTS UNTO GOD AND HIS FATHER); to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Communion was instituted by Jesus for us to REMEMBER HIM UNTIL HE RETURNES.
Jesus said "AS OFTEN AS YE" that does not sound like he meant 1 time a Month or 1 time every 6 Months or only special occasions, but AS OFTEN AS YE.
Where two or more are gathered in His name, there He will be in the midst of them, bless yourselves by doing AS OFTEN AS YE CAN.

Be Blessed
JIM

Last edited by Lookinforacity : 02-04-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Communion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinforacity View Post
Why are Christians of the belief, Communion can only take place in a Church?.......
Who believes that?

Only a properly ordained priest can confect the Eucharist, but he can do that anywhere if he wants to, and sometimes they do, in hospitals and even in peoples' homes. The only reason its usually done in churches is because Christian communities choose to build churches so they can have a place to gather. On any given Sunday, my parish has over a thousand folks in attendance. Do you want to cram a thousand people into your house? Even if you could, you'd probably get a visit from the police dept. and the fire dept.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 02-05-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Catholic Crusader

I'm not going to split Theological hairs with you, the fact you said "and sometimes they do, in hospitals and even in peoples' homes." means that the majority of the time ,unless special occasions arise, like someone in a hospital or on their death bed at home or unable to go to a Church, then the Priest will go to them, but on a regular ongoing weekly basis, Communion is always, always at the Church, it is the NORM.
Even Protestants do and believe the same, I am not singling out or attacking the Catholic Church.

I did say, "Why are Christians of the belief, Communion can only take place in a Church?" that statement, encompasses all of Christendom.

I do understand the need of a Church building, but we associate with other people, and our family's on a DAILY basis.
Just incase you didn't know, Jesus said:
Mat. 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

That constitutes a Church, (Body of Christ) Fellowship.
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Well I guess if you being among those who believe, the Bread and Wine need to be officially confected by a Priest, would never have Communion with your family on Thanksgiving Day unless there was a Priest present to perform the honors.
We were told by Jesus concerning Communion, "do this in remembrance of me" and "as often as you do this" but I don't know where He said anything about Communion being a Ritual which could only be performed by a Priest.

Then again, I did mention, we as believers in Christ, (Christians) are Kings and Priests ordained by Christ Himself, so I guess we all qualify, having the Authority to hold a Communion for others don't we.

When you have a meal, do you not Bless the food and the people present?

"Bless us O Lord and these thy gifts which we are about to receive, from thy bounty, through Christ our Lord Amen."

Who are you to take upon yourself the Blessing of food and people, who gave this Authority to you?

Be Blessed
JIM
Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Catholic Crusader

I'm not going to split Theological hairs with you, the fact you said "and sometimes they do, in hospitals and even in peoples' homes." means that the majority of the time ,unless special occasions arise, like someone in a hospital or on their death bed at home or unable to go to a Church, then the Priest will go to them, but on a regular ongoing weekly basis, Communion is always, always at the Church, it is the NORM.
Even Protestants do and believe the same, I am not singling out or attacking the Catholic Church.

I did say, "Why are Christians of the belief, Communion can only take place in a Church?" that statement, encompasses all of Christendom.

I do understand the need of a Church building, but we associate with other people, and our family's on a DAILY basis.
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Well I guess if you being among those who believe, the Bread and Wine need to be officially confected by a Priest, would never have Communion with your family on Thanksgiving Day unless there was a Priest present to perform the honors.
We were told by Jesus concerning Communion, "do this in remembrance of me" and "as often as you do this" but I don't know where He said anything about Communion being a Ritual which could only be performed by a Priest.

Then again, I did mention, we as believers in Christ, (Christians) are Kings and Priests ordained by Christ Himself, so I guess we all qualify, having the Authority to hold a Communion for others don't we.

"Bless us O Lord and these thy gifts which we are about to receive, from thy bounty, through Christ our Lord Amen."

Who are you to take upon yourself the Blessing of food and people, who gave this Authority to you?

Be Blessed
JIM
The word "communion" can be used for a number of things, including fellowship. Not every form of koinonia is the eucharistic mystery of the Body and Blood of Christ.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Suspended for Review

There is also the practice of setting aside some of the consecrated Bread so it can be carried to the sick and dying. I believe the Anglican, Orthodox and Catholic Churches do this. Certainly if a priest wanted to give Communion to a dying person, it would be wise to have something ready.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Catholic Crusader

Be Blessed
JIM
Wasn't there a 'non-denominational' community that advocated substituting doritos for bread in 'communion' last year?

Speaking for Orthodox Christianity, I will leave you with this:
"We have an altar from which those who serve the tabernacle have no right to eat." (Hebrews 13.10)
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 AM

Linsinbigler

Yaeh I know what you mean it would be a horrible thing to see a Priest officiating over the Confection of the Fellowship, that would be very confusing, there isn't any mystery to it, it's Communion.
I'm sure that even the Communion services throughout the Protestant Denominations aren't considered to be valid according to Catholics and Orthodox are they?

Should have been unleavened bread, preferably Matzah, some people have no sense of decorum.

Be Blessed
JIM
Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Who believes that?

Only a properly ordained priest can confect the Eucharist, but he can do that anywhere if he wants to, and sometimes they do, in hospitals and even in peoples' homes. The only reason its usually done in churches is because Christian communities choose to build churches so they can have a place to gather. On any given Sunday, my parish has over a thousand folks in attendance. Do you want to cram a thousand people into your house? Even if you could, you'd probably get a visit from the police dept. and the fire dept.
Quote:
........I'm not going to split Theological hairs with you, the fact you said "and sometimes they do, in hospitals and even in peoples' homes." means that the majority of the time ,unless special occasions arise, like someone in a hospital or on their death bed at home or unable to go to a Church, then the Priest will go to them, but on a regular ongoing weekly basis, Communion is always, always at the Church, it is the NORM...........
Yep, that's right. That's the norm, ever since the numbers of Christians grew so large that they started to build place to gather.

So what's the problem? What is the point of this thread? Who cares?

Quote:
........Who are you to take upon yourself the Blessing of food and people, who gave this Authority to you?.......
Are you arguing against another one of your imaginary straw men again?

I do not take that upon myself. I never said I did.

As for the bishops and priests, Jesus gave them the authority, that's who. They did not take it upon themselves, they were given that authority, first to the apostles, and the apostles gave it to them. Your argument is with Jesus, not with me.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 02-06-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 AM
Knight of the Forum

Lookingforacity,

I suggest you read early Christian writings and learn something. St. Justin, who lived in AD 100–165, wrote to emperor Antoninus Pius to explain the basic lines of the order of the Eucharistic celebration, which are amazingly still the same in the churches today which practice the ancient liturgy. Around the year 155, he explained:
On the day we call the day of the sun, all who dwell in the city or country gather in the same place.

The memoirs of the apostles and the writings of the prophets are read, as much as time permits.

When the reader has finished, he who presides over those gathered admonishes and challenges them to imitate these beautiful things.
Then we all rise together and offer prayers* for ourselves . . .and for all others, wherever they may be, so that we may be found righteous by our life and actions, and faithful to the commandments, so as to obtain eternal salvation.

When the prayers are concluded we exchange the kiss.

Then someone brings bread and a cup of water and wine mixed together to him who presides over the brethren.

He takes them and offers praise and glory to the Father of the universe, through the name of the Son and of the Holy

Spirit and for a considerable time he gives thanks (in Greek: eucharistian) that we have been judged worthy of these gifts.

When he has concluded the prayers and thanksgivings, all present give voice to an acclamation by saying: 'Amen.'

When he who presides has given thanks and the people have responded, those whom we call deacons give to those present the "eucharisted" bread, wine and water and take them to those who are absent

That first line says it: "all who dwell in the city or country gather in the same place."

Do you suppose that "all" from the city and the country jammed themselves into some 2nd century living room?

This man was born arguably before all the books of the New testament were even finished, so this practice goes back to the beginning, as does the Mass by the way.. So spare us all your complaining. Instead of always trying to re-invent the wheel or complain about the wheel, why don't you consider the fact that 2,000 years of Christianity might be correct, and maybe - just maybe - you could be wrong. I know its a horrible concept to even contemplate, but it would do you a world of good.

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 02-06-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Knights of the Forum

The thread reminds me of a discussion years ago among some Catholics.

It was asked, if Jesus had came to America in 1985 instead of Palestine of long ago, what would have been the elements of the communion?

There were two offered answers:

1) A Big Mac, fries, and a Cola; and,
2) Donuts and Coffee.

The discussion tended to cause those Catholics to think about communion in a more careful way.

Peace be with you all!
The humble, meek, merciful, just, pious and devout souls are everywhere of one religion; and when death has taken off the mask, they will know one another though the divers liveries they wear here make them strangers.
William Penn (1644-1718) from Some Fruits of Solitude (1718)