Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > *> the 'BEST' way <* ??

Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Default *> the 'BEST' way <* ??

What is the very 'Best' way possible for me to be able to tell the difference between an 'image', or 'likeness', or 'representation', --vs.-- the 'original' or the 'genuine' or the 'authentic'??

i.e., '2 Corinthians 4:4, Colossians 1:15, Hebrews 1:3' --vs.-- 'John 17:3'

John 14:1, Jesus said, "Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe 'Also' in me."

In the love of Christ, sincerely, The Real Milk Man.

God and His Son loves you, and I do too!

Whatever is the overflow of the heart, is what comes out of the mouth.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: *> the 'BEST' way <* ??

Quote:
What is the very 'Best' way possible for me to be able to tell the difference between an 'image', or 'likeness', or 'representation', --vs.-- the 'original' or the 'genuine' or the 'authentic'??
The best way for you or me or for anyone to be able to tell the difference is to ask for our eyes to be opened. When He opens our eyes we will be able to see more clearly what He desires that we see:

"And Jesus stood still, and called them, and said, What will ye that I shall do unto you?

They say unto him, Lord, that our eyes may be opened.

So Jesus had compassion on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him." Matt 20:32-34

Last edited by Amadeus : 01-15-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Milk Man;

You'd let the Spirit of God lead you into this truth.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMilkMan View Post
What is the very 'Best' way possible for me to be able to tell the difference between an 'image', or 'likeness', or 'representation', --vs.-- the 'original' or the 'genuine' or the 'authentic'??..........
Did you have something specific in mind?

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM

I, myself, cannot distinguish the difference between an 'image' of God, or a 'likeness' of God, or a 'representation' of God (i.e., 2 Corinthians 4:4, Colossians 1:15, and Hebrews 1:3) --vs.-- the 'original', or the 'genuine', or the 'authentic' God (i.e., John 17:3), **Unless** I 'Trust', and 'Honor', and 'Believe in' the **Only one** who truly knows for sure, Jesus Christ.

--John 18:37, Jesus said, ..."I was born, and came into the world to testify to the truth. Whoever belongs to the truth 'Listens' to my voice."

**> Mark 9:7 <**, ....and a voice came from the cloud and said, "This is My own dear Son. Listen to Him!"

--John 14:1, Jesus said, "Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe 'Also' in me."

Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Suspended for Review

I don't see why we need to discern the difference. We cannot see God. The best we can "see" is a similitude. Even the prophets saw similitudes.

Hosea 12:10 I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets.

The prophets often say, "like unto" or "as it were" -- knowing they were seeing something "like" but not the thing itself.

We do not see now the "real thing." We see as through a glass darkly.

The question I wonder about for those who have dreams or visions is if they are from God or from some other source.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Lightbulb Re: *> the 'BEST' way <* ??

Hi TheRealMilkMan,

Peace be with you,

YOU WROTE:
Quote:

i.e., '2 Corinthians 4:4, Colossians 1:15, Hebrews 1:3'

2 Corinthians 4:4.
"In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of unbelievers, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not shine unto them."

Colossians 1:15.
"Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: ... "

Hebrews 1:3.
"Who being the brightness of his glory, and the figure of his substance, and upholding all things by the word of his power, making purgation of sins, sitteth on the right hand of the majesty on high."

A good question to consider is: "What does it mean when Sacred Writing calls the Father "the invisible God"? (Was He, is He not VISIBLE to the Son?)

Secondly: "How is any being a perfect FIGURE of the Divine Substance of the Father unless that being is Himself TRUE GOD?"

ON HEBREWS 1:3,

" Ver. 3. Who being the spendour,[3] or brightness of his glory, not as beams or rays are derived from a lightsome body, but by a necessary and eternal communication of the same substance, and of the whole light; in which sense the council of Nice[Nicaea] understood the eternal Son of God to be light of light. This partly helps us to conceive the eternal generation of the Son from the Father, because the brightness is at the same time with the sun, though all comparisons fall short of this mystery. (Witham) ---

We may here observe the two natures of Christ. As God, he is the Creator of all things; as man, he is constituted heir of the goods of God. Not content to possess the inheritance of his Father in his own person, he will have us as coheirs to share it also with him. May we so live as to hear one day that happy sentence: Come, ye blessed of my Father, &c. ---

And the figure of his substance.[4] In the Greek is the character of his substance; which might be translated, the express image. There are different ways by which a thing may be said to be a figure or image of another: here it is taken for such a representation of the substance of the Father, that though the Father and the Son be distinct persons, and the Son proceed from the Father, yet he is such a figure and image, as to have the same nature and substance with the Father, as the Catholic Church always believed and declared against the ancient heretics, and particularly against the Arians.

Their words may be partly seen in Petavius, lib. ii. de Trin. chap. 11.; lib. iv. chap. 6.; lib. vi. chap. 6., being too prolix for these short notes. And this may be understood by the following words concerning the Son: and upholding or preserving all things by the word of his power. As he had said before, that all things were made by him, so all things are preserved by him, equally with the Father. See Colossians i. 16, 17. See also ver. 10. of this chapter, and the annotations on John i. 3. (Witham) ---

Figure. This does not exclude the reality. So Christ's body in the eucharist, and his mystical death in the mass, though called a figure, image, or representation of Christ's visible body and sacrifice upon the cross, yet may be and is the self-same substance. (Bristow) ---

Sitteth on the right hand of the majesty on high. This also may be taken to express the equality of the Son with the Father, if considered as God; but this sitting on the right hand of God, both here, in St. Mark, chap. xvi. and in the apostles' creed, express what agrees with Christ, as our Redeemer, God made man by his incarnation, and who as man is made the head of his Church, the judge of the living and of the dead; and so St. Stephen said, (Acts vii.) I see the heavens open, and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God. (Witham) "

SOURCE: HEBREWS - Chapter 1

Quote:
--vs.-- 'John 17:3'

St. John 17:3.
"Now this is eternal life: That they may know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent."

Let us consider how a statement like this sounds if we were to say that THIS IS ETERNAL LIFE (a supremely big statement) in conjunction to another person like, let's say, St. John the Baptist:

Now this is eternal life: that they may know thee, the only true God, and John the Baptist, whom thou has sent.

OR, the Prophet Isaiah,

Now this is eternal life: that they may know thee, the only true God, and the Prophet Isaiah, whom thou has sent.

OR, the Patriarch Abraham,

Now this is eternal life: that they may know thee, the only true God, and the Patriarch Abraham, whom thou has sent.

OR, ... Moses,

Now this is eternal life: that they may know thee, the only true God, and Moses, whom thou hast sent.

Get the picture? ... How ridiculous does it sound when you say that ETERNAL LIFE is to know God the Father and another created human person (which Jesus is not, ... He is a Divine Person, The Son, the Second Person of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity, Co-Eternal and Co-Equal to the Father).

Quote:
John 14:1, Jesus said, "Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe 'Also' in me."
How would it sound to you if someone came up to you in the street and said to you, "Hey man don't worry, be happy, ... You believe in God; believe also in me." Wouldn't you think immediately, this guy belongs in a mental institution for demanding for himself the kind of faith that one must have in the Most High God alone?

God love you.

Out of the Fullness of the Heart the mouth speaks, and when the Father speaks His one Utterance, the Eternal Word, which is out of the Fullness of the Father's Bosom, He has said it ALL and He has nothing more to say. For the Fullness of His Heart contains the Fullness of Divine Revelation in and through the Person of Jesus Christ, God from God, Light from Light, True God from True God, Begotten, NOT created, One in Substance with the Father.

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

When Jesus, the Living Bread, says IS He means IS.

Last edited by AHJE : 01-24-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I, myself, cannot distinguish the difference between an 'image' of God, or a 'likeness' of God, or a 'representation' of God (i.e., 2 Corinthians 4:4, Colossians 1:15, and Hebrews 1:3) --vs.-- the 'original', or the 'genuine', or the 'authentic' God (i.e., John 17:3), **Unless** I 'Trust', and 'Honor', and 'Believe in' the **Only one** who truly knows for sure, Jesus Christ.

--John 18:37, Jesus said, ..."I was born, and came into the world to testify to the truth. Whoever belongs to the truth 'Listens' to my voice."

**> Mark 9:7 <**, ....and a voice came from the cloud and said, "This is My own dear Son. Listen to Him!"

--John 14:1, Jesus said, "Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe 'Also' in me."

To me, there is no doubt in my heart that Jesus' words in John 17:3, designate the Father as the only true, original, genuine, authentic God. Then, each of us is given the choice to accept His teachings or not. As for me; --I believe, ........................and so I speak. (2 Corinthians 4:13, John 12:42-43)

--Acts 3:22-23 (KJV), "For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord (LORD, all capitals??) your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in ***>>All Things<<<** whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be ..........."

--Acts 3:22-23 (NIV), "For Moses said, 'The Lord (LORD, all capitals??) your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to ***>>Everything<<*** he tells you. Anyone who does not listen to him will be ............' "

--John 17:3, Jesus said, "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you (Father, John 17:1), the (thee) only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."
--John 20:17, Jesus said, ...."I am returning to My Father and your Father, to My God and **> your <** God."

--1 Corinthians 8:4-6, ...."there is no theos but one. For even it there are so-called theos, whether in heaven or on earth, (as indeed there **> 'Are' <** many theos and many Lords), yet for us there is but one theos, the Father ...."
--Psalm 136:2, "O give thanks to the God of gods, ..."

--Zechariah 12:8, "On that day the LORD (all capital letters, see Psalm 110:1) will shield the inhabitants of Jerusalem so that the feeblest among them on that day shall be like David, and the house of David shall be 'Like' God, 'Like' the angel of the LORD, at their head."

Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
To me, there is no doubt in my heart that Jesus' words in John 17:3, designate the Father as the only true, original, genuine, authentic God. Then, each of us is given the choice to accept His teachings or not. As for me; --I believe, ........................and so I speak. (2 Corinthians 4:13, John 12:42-43)

--Acts 3:22-23 (KJV), "For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord (LORD, all capitals??) your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in ***>>All Things<<<** whatsoever he shall say unto you. And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be ..........."

--Acts 3:22-23 (NIV), "For Moses said, 'The Lord (LORD, all capitals??) your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own people; you must listen to ***>>Everything<<*** he tells you. Anyone who does not listen to him will be ............' "

--John 17:3, Jesus said, "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you (Father, John 17:1), the (thee) only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."
--John 20:17, Jesus said, ...."I am returning to My Father and your Father, to My God and **> your <** God."

--1 Corinthians 8:4-6, ...."there is no theos but one. For even it there are so-called theos, whether in heaven or on earth, (as indeed there **> 'Are' <** many theos and many Lords), yet for us there is but one theos, the Father ...."
--Psalm 136:2, "O give thanks to the God of gods, ..."

--Zechariah 12:8, "On that day the LORD (all capital letters, see Psalm 110:1) will shield the inhabitants of Jerusalem so that the feeblest among them on that day shall be like David, and the house of David shall be 'Like' God, 'Like' the angel of the LORD, at their head."

Is the Living Father in Heaven Lord? Is He Sovereign? Yes or No?

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

When Jesus, the Living Bread, says IS He means IS.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHJE View Post
Is the Living Father in Heaven Lord? Is He Sovereign? Yes or No?
Dear AHJE,

Jesus is my Lord. Jesus said, John 10:27, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me." --And Jesus says the Father is His Lord in Matthew 11:25-27, (which agrees perfectly with **> 1 Corinthians 11:3 <**).
--Mat. 11:25-27, 'At that time Jesus prayed this prayer: "O **> Father, Lord of heaven and earth, <** thank you for hiding these things from those who think themselves wise and clever, and for revealing them to the childlike. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way! My Father has entrusted everything to me (until the end comes, when Christ will hand the kingdom back over to God, the Father. -1 Corinthians 15:24). No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him."

--John 14:28, Jesus said, ...."If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father; for He is **> greater <** than I.
--John 10:29, Jesus said, "My Father, who has give them to me , ***> is greater than all <***; ..."
--1 Corinthians 15:27, "For the scripture says, 'God put all things under his feet.' It is **> clear <** of course, that the words 'all things' do not include God Himself, who puts all things under Christ."

--Psalm 111:10, "***> The fear of the LORD <*** is the 'Beginning' (the starting point) of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. ...."
--Isaiah 11:1-3, "A shoot shall come out from the stump of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots. The spirit of the LORD shall rest on him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and **> the fear of the LORD. <** His delight shall be in ***> the fear of the LORD. <*** ..."