Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Divine Feminine

Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 PM

Default Divine Feminine

First off, I want to say that I am not a Catholic, neither to I uphold the belief that Mary was anything more than a human vessel.

That aside, I would like to know if anyone shares my belief that the Holy Spirit is not only a person, but the Divine Feminine principle?

Any thoughts, scriptures, insights, or experiences with regard to this subject?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Divine Feminine

What is this Divine Feminine principle? (I am also not Catholic.)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Suspended for Review

The word shekinah is feminine in Hebrew. . . .
Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
Yes, I suspected that was at least part of the focus, but to address the issue, I need to know more from the initiator of the Opening Post.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AravisCalormenee View Post
First off, I want to say that I am not a Catholic, neither to I uphold the belief that Mary was anything more than a human vessel.

That aside, I would like to know if anyone shares my belief that the Holy Spirit is not only a person, but the Divine Feminine principle?

That is actually an interesting question. One of my favorite theologians, Dr. Scott Hahn, does ascribe a degree of femininity to the Holy Spirit, although he would not go so far as to call the Holy Spirit "the Divine Feminine", which is going way too far for sure, assuming I understand the term correctly.

Hahn, while he would never call the Holy Spirit "she", does say that He contains the characteristics of those particulars and accidental qualities of mother, maternal and feminine because they are contained in God; thus, the Trinity being one, those qualities are contained in God. And because the spirit is usually considered the love by which the father loves the son that would be reminiscent of the same love a woman has, so Scott Hahn is right on the money here.

But "Divine Feminine principle?" Nope, that's way too far off the mark - again, assuming I understand the term correctly.

And by the way: I'm not quite sure why you mentioned Mary in your question. As a by-the-book Catholic, I can tell you that we do not believe Mary to be a god, a goddess, or god-like, despite whatever you may have heard.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 01-09-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-09-2013, 05:21 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
Hey! Is that the same Giuliano that was here before? If it is, welcome back bro' !!!

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Hey! Is that the same Giuliano that was here before? If it is, welcome back bro' !!!
It is, thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AravisCalormenee View Post

Describing someone who was full of grace and blessed among women as a human vessel does not really describe the mother of Jesus accurately.

And while the human body is a temporary abode it in no way adequately reflects the human spirit within so man/woman wants to define God based on man's or woman's nature which seems unnecessary.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Knight of the Forum

Interesting question. I'm not sure about a "Divine Feminine" principle, but there are cases when the scriptures use feminine imagery for God's love.

One example is Jesus's lament over Jerusalem. Matt 23:37 - "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing."

Another is in Isa 49:15, "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!"
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM

In the book of Enoch, the Holy Spirit is described as wisdom, and feminine, if I remember correctly.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.