Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > The Bible - the Word of God?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Representative Clergy

Default Re: The Bible - the Word of God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet1 View Post
Jesus personally told me that the bible is the written Word of God.
I did not at the time see the bible as too awful important in my coming to know God, because Jesus had been teaching me for some time.

Jesus felt it was important for me to know what the bible said, so told me to get more into it. Now I know why he had me do what he did. Jesus knew I would be sharing on the Internet, and would need to know the written Word of God. When Jesus told me to get more into the written Word there was no Internet Forums.

People will accept manís understanding of God, and fail to ask Jesus what is true or not true. People will read the written Word of God, and make up their minds as to what it is saying. What a shame that is, because some people will even deny that Jesus is God, and believe themselves to be Christians.
"Jesus personally told me..." You sound familiar. I think I have heard this before. I get very leary of persons who refer to the Lord all the time as "Jesus." If it was good enough for the Apostles to call Him Lord, why not you? Are you above an Apostle? Jesus Christ is not your buddy, He is your Lord. Show some respect.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:58 AM

The Fear of the Lord is one of the 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

"... There is nothing more beautiful than to be surprised by the Gospel, by the encounter with Christ. There is nothing more beautiful than to know Him and to speak to others of our friendship with Him." (Pope Benedict XVI) [Homily of His Holiness, Sunday, April 24th 2005]

GOD MADE MARY
NE - CES - SARY.

When Jesus, the Living Bread, says IS He means IS.

Last edited by AHJE : 06-12-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
"Jesus personally told me..." You sound familiar. I think I have heard this before.............
I KNOW I have heard it before. This is about the third visit we have had from this fellow.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Prophet1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetofsong View Post
What if (and speaking hypothetically here) Jesus tells me that the Bible is not "God's word"?
Hypothetical question can be a trick of Satan to keep people in fear.

Remember he who is in us is greater then he who is in the world.

Jesus told us he would call his own by name, and they would follow no other. Jesus makes sure you know it is he speaking to you.

When Jesus talks to some one good fruit will follow. Satan produces rotten fruit.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetofsong View Post
But then why do some scholars debate it? Also, whether books like that are written by who they are claimed is honestly of little importance in the grand scheme of things, at least compared to the gospels being written by eyewitnesses or those very close to them. I mean if Homer didn't end up writing the Iliad...so what? That doesn't affect my life whatsoever. If Matthew, Mark, Luke and John didn't write the gospels, well then that does affect things quite a bit. So, it's difficult for me to just accept that it's true when I don't have any reason to believe so.
Some "scholars" will debate anything. Search hard enough, and you will find just about any crazy view you like. Many years ago, when I was a fairly new Christian, there was a "scholar" who published a book claiming Jesus married Mary Magdelene and had 3 kids. How daft is that? Just because something is put in writing by someone, it doesn't necessarily merit any credence.

When it comes to the sciptures, you will always be able to find weird and wonderful views, especially in these days of the internet. But the overwhelming consensus of scholars and historians is agreed on authorship.

As for the Iliad etc, of course it doesn't matter at the end of the day who wrote them. But I used them as an illustration to show that when the books of the bibles are subjected to the same historical authorship tests as these other pieces of ancient literature, they stand up to scrutiny.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Prophet1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
"Jesus personally told me..." You sound familiar. I think I have heard this before. I get very leary of persons who refer to the Lord all the time as "Jesus." If it was good enough for the Apostles to call Him Lord, why not you? Are you above an Apostle? Jesus Christ is not your buddy, He is your Lord. Show some respect.
Wow! You really go to great pains to find something to say negative about some one donít you?

Jesus is my Lord and God, and only him do I follow. Jesus came in the flesh, and died on the Cross-, and rose from the dead.

I know Jesus personally and he is God.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Prophet1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHJE View Post
The Fear of the Lord is one of the 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Satan fears the Lord Jesus, does Satan walk in the gifts of the Holy Spirit?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneofChristsSheep View Post
Yes but he didn't. One could say that he didn't say it was either. This is where faith comes in. I know it's probably not what you wanted to hear, but to have knowledge without faith in things pertaining to God is useless. Knowledge has its place, but God tells us to have faith.
In regards to this though, I don't exactly understand what I'm supposed to have faith in? That certain councils of men were wise enough to pick out what books speak for God, despite arguing for centuries on what books were supposed to be in resulting in different bible canons today? That such books were preserved perfectly despite the fact we have no original manuscripts and several English translations with both big and small differences in translation? If that is what I'm supposed to have faith in, then I would say that all hope is probably lost in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet1 View Post
Hypothetical question can be a trick of Satan to keep people in fear.
Maybe, but so could not being able to truly question if the Bible is from God. Questions are not always of Satan. Jesus asked questions. NOT questioning things is probably the best way for people to stay in fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddybear View Post
Some "scholars" will debate anything. Search hard enough, and you will find just about any crazy view you like. Many years ago, when I was a fairly new Christian, there was a "scholar" who published a book claiming Jesus married Mary Magdelene and had 3 kids. How daft is that? Just because something is put in writing by someone, it doesn't necessarily merit any credence.
Sure, but it could be that such people are not just crazy people with crazy views. There are many things I once thought we're crazy but no longer do. Likewise there are many things I used to think we're perfectly logical but now think are crazy. It's all about perspective.

Quote:
When it comes to the sciptures, you will always be able to find weird and wonderful views, especially in these days of the internet. But the overwhelming consensus of scholars and historians is agreed on authorship.
I'm not sure if that is entirely true. Even if it is though, I think it's fair to say that a good many religious scholars are undoubtedly biased by traditional views and the like. It would be difficult to overlook that in these matters.

Quote:
As for the Iliad etc, of course it doesn't matter at the end of the day who wrote them. But I used them as an illustration to show that when the books of the bibles are subjected to the same historical authorship tests as these other pieces of ancient literature, they stand up to scrutiny.
How so?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Knight of the Forum

^ Did you happen to read my link? Proving Inspiration

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 PM

Not yet. I'm in the military so like I said I don't have much time. I'll try to read it tonight if I can.