Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Water Baptism: Why? How? When?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM
lesjude

Default Water Baptism: Why? How? When?

The confusion about water baptism comes from Matt. 28:19. However there should not be any. The scripture is clear: Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.
The apostles certainly understood the name Jesus was talking about because this is what they said and did: Acts 2:38 (New King James Version38Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 19:4-5 (New King James Version)
4 Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.”
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
There is a supernatural power to resist sin that you receive BY FAITH when you are baptized in Jesus' name by immersion, sometimes referred to as apostolic baptism. Because if you don't know this you can be baptized till you are 'pruny" and it will make no difference! You can only believe for what you know about. Circumcision and baptism are equivalent. Col 12:11-14. In Joshua 5 he circumcised them before the wars to take the land so they were in covenant and could win. It is the same for baptism for us when engaging in spiritual warfare. There will be open doors for the devil to oppress and stop us. Mark 16:16-18 (New King James Version)
16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they[a] will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” I am not teaching water baptism to be saved. One is saved when he receives Christ. Water baptism in Jesus name of a person old enough to understand is the first act of obedience in the walk of salvation. Infant baptism is not in the Bible.

Here is the supernatural power over sin that few understand so they do not receive. Remember it is BY FAITH and if you do not know you cannot receive and believe. It is in Romans chapter 6, dead to sin, alive to Christ! This gives you supernatural power to resist sin, but only if you resist the sinful thoughts in Jesus' name the devil puts in your head to convince you that you are still a sinner. Please read all of Romans 6:1-14
There are big denominations that have not received this and as a result teach that the Christian has two natures, sinful and regenerate. This is nowhere taught in the Bible!
I strongly recommend that you be baptized again. Any believer can do this, even yourself. I have re-baptized several when they realized how important it really is. It is never legalism to do what Jesus says to do, the way He says to do it. He gives grace and protection in the meantime until we see the truth and do it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Water Baptism: Why? How? When?

God has revealed that there is only ONE Baptism for the Full Remission of sins.

Baptism is the means of entry into the Body of Christ. It is how we may come TO Jesus.

And Jesus said, ... Let the infants come to Him, ... that we should not prevent them or hinder them.

Peace be with you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:04 PM
lesjude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHJE View Post

Baptism is the means of entry into the Body of Christ. It is how we may come TO Jesus.

And Jesus said, ... Let the infants come to Him, ... that we should not prevent them or hinder them.

Peace be with you.
No where in the Bible does it say infants should be water baptized. Mark 16:16 says:
Mark 16:16

New King James Version (NKJV)

16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
One is saved when they believe and receive Christ by grace through faith. Water baptism is an act of obedience as a result of the born again heart.
Children are sanctified by a believing parent or kept unto salvation as the elect of God until they reach the age of understanding. 1 Corinthians 7:14
Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHJE View Post
How could there be two?

I know there are people who have been baptized more than once; but I think they should realize they were accepted into the Body of Christ the first time and not doubt it. Unless some irregularity can be shown, having faith in God and His willingness to receive us is more important than speculating too much about details. If there are doubts, provisional baptism is advisable.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
lesjude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
How could there be two?

I know there are people who have been baptized more than once; but I think they should realize they were accepted into the Body of Christ the first time and not doubt it. Unless some irregularity can be shown, having faith in God and His willingness to receive us is more important than speculating too much about details. If there are doubts, provisional baptism is advisable.
If it was not done so they can remember it, they were not immersed as the meaning of the Greek word for baptize, baptismo, clearly means, or it was not done in Jesus' name an "irregularity" is apparent.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesjude View Post
If it was not done so they can remember it, they were not immersed as the meaning of the Greek word for baptize, baptismo, clearly means, or it was not done in Jesus' name an "irregularity" is apparent.
When the Orthodox Church, Coptic Church, the Catholic Church and the Malankara Church of India agree on something, I figure it's probably right. The ideas about baptism you present us with are innovations, based on recent interpretations.

I don't recall any mention of someone needing to remember baptism. Someone made that up.

We also read about entire households being baptized.

Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.
15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.

1 Corinthians 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

Parental consent is all that's needed since they exercise spiritual authority over their children.

Last edited by Giuliano : 05-15-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesjude View Post
No where in the Bible does it say infants should be water baptized. Mark 16:16 says:
Mark 16:16

16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
One is saved when they believe and receive Christ by grace through faith. Water baptism is an act of obedience as a result of the born again heart.
Children are sanctified by a believing parent or kept unto salvation as the elect of God until they reach the age of understanding. 1 Corinthians 7:14
Baptism is not only for the repentance of sins. It is also an initiation into Christianity. Baptism replaced circumcision of the Old Covenant.

Colossians 2:11-12 In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.

In the Old Testament, babies were being circumcised after 8 days. Baptism replaced circumcision, and the early Christians DID baptized infants.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Knight of the Forum

Great. Another OP with a made-up, non-Biblical, and ahistorical view on Baptism.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 05-15-2012, 06:24 PM
lesjude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
When the Orthodox Church, Coptic Church, the Catholic Church and the Malankara Church of India agree on something, I figure it's probably right. The ideas about baptism you present us with are innovations, based on recent interpretations.

I don't recall any mention of someone needing to remember baptism. Someone made that up.

We also read about entire households being baptized.

Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.
15 And when she was baptized, and her household, she besought us, saying, If ye have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come into my house, and abide there. And she constrained us.

1 Corinthians 1:16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

Parental consent is all that's needed since they exercise spiritual authority over their children.
The Bible says clearly that "he who believes" Mark 16:16. A child has to be at the age of understanding before that can happen. It does not mention infants being baptized in the scripture you have given. The apostles, even Peter, would not go against Christ's clear statement in Mark 16:16. The word clearly means immersion in the Greek as well. Even Peter said to do it in the name of Jesus Christ in Acts 2:38. He did it in Acts 10:48 also.
Here is an example where believing is required before one can be baptized and immersion as well:
Acts 8:36-38

36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”

And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”[a]

38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.
Is it too late to do it right? Maybe a dispensation for those that died not properly immersed in Jesus' name at the age of understanding? There is a potential for great gain here.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
lesjude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
Baptism is not only for the repentance of sins. It is also an initiation into Christianity. Baptism replaced circumcision of the Old Covenant.

Colossians 2:11-12 In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.

In the Old Testament, babies were being circumcised after 8 days. Baptism replaced circumcision, and the early Christians DID baptized infants.
The Bible says clearly that "he who believes" Mark 16:16. A child has to be at the age of understanding before that can happen. It does not mention infants being baptized in the scripture. The apostles, even Peter, would not go against Christ's clear statement in Mark 16:16. The word clearly means immersion in the Greek as well. Even Peter said to do it in the name of Jesus Christ in Acts 2:38. He did it in Acts 10:48 also.
Here is an example where believing is required before one can be baptized and immersion as well:
Acts 8:36-38

36 Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the eunuch said, “See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?”

37 Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.”

And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”[a]

38 So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.