Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > The GLORIFIED BODY of Jesus & its 4 QUALITIES...

Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Lightbulb The GLORIFIED BODY of Jesus & its 4 QUALITIES...

Jesus Christ is Risen!!! His Body is not HERE!!! Not in this tomb! He is alive and well. Alleluia!!! Happy Easter, … Happy Pasch, … Happy Passover to all. Whatever you want to call it, … Our Lord has Risen as He has said He would and all that He has said is confirmed and our Faith is ever surer due to this Glorious Mystery of His Resurrection from the dead. (Yes, including His words in John 6, … all that He has ever said is confirmed and trustworthy.)

With what kind of Body did Jesus rise from the dead? This is the focus of this thread, and all are invited to share any Biblical Verses which will point to anything regarding the Lord in His Glorified Body.

“He will change our lowly body to conform with his glorified body by the power that enables him also to bring all things into subjection to himself.” (Philippians 3:21)

“… Our Lord rose in the same body He had before His death; but when He rose it had new qualities—it was glorified. The qualities of a glorified body are four, viz.: brilliancy, agility, subtility, and impassibility.

(1) It has brilliancy; that is, it shines like a light; it gives forth light; the soul shines through the body. You have heard of the Transfiguration of Our Lord. One day He took three of His Apostles—Peter, James, and John—unto a high mountain (Matt. 17); and as He was speaking to them, suddenly His whole body began to shine like the sun. Then Moses and Elias—two great and holy men of the Old Law—came and conversed with Him. The Apostles were astonished and delighted at the sight, and wished to remain there always. Our Lord’s body at that time showed one of the qualities of a glorified body. The same three Apostles that saw Him thus transfigured and heard the voice of the Heavenly Father saying, “This is My beloved Son,” were present in the garden during Our Lord’s agony. He allowed them to see the Transfiguration, so that when they should see Him suffering as man, they would remember that they saw Him on the mountain glorified as God.

(2) Agility; that is, a glorified body can move rapidly from one place to another, like the lightning itself. After His resurrection Our Lord was in Jerusalem, and almost immediately He appeared near the village of Emmaus to two disciples going there. (Luke 24). They had left Jerusalem after the Crucifixion, probably through fear, and were going along together talking about what had happened during the days of Our Lord’s Passion. Suddenly Our Lord came and walked and talked with them, but they did not know Him. They asked Him to stay that night at their house, for it was growing dark. He did not stop with them, and at supper they knew Him, and then He vanished from their sight. An ordinary person would have to get up and walk away; but He vanished, showing on this occasion the second quality of His glorified body—agility.

(3) Subtility; that is, such a body can go where it pleases and cannot be resisted by material things. It can pass through closed doors or gates, and even walls cannot keep it out. It passes through everything, as light does through glass without breaking it. At one time after Our Lord’s resurrection the Apostles were gathered together in a room, for they were still afraid of being put to death, and the doors were tightly closed. Suddenly Our Lord stood in the midst of them and said: “Peace be to you.” (John 20:19). They did not open the door for Him; neither wood nor stone could keep Him out: and thus He showed that His body had the third quality.

(4) His body had the fourth quality also—impassibility, which means that it can no longer suffer. Before His death, and at it, Our Lord suffered dreadful torments, as you know; but after His resurrection nothing could injure or hurt Him. The spear could not hurt His side, nor the nails His hands, nor the thorns His head. Shortly after His resurrection Our Lord appeared to His Apostles while Thomas, one of them, was absent. (John 20:24). When Thomas returned, the other Apostles told him that they had seen the Lord risen from the dead; but he would not believe them, saying: “Unless I see the holes where the nails were in His hands and feet, and put my finger into His side, I will not believe.” Now Our Lord, knowing all things, knew this also; so He came again when Thomas was present, and said to him: “Now, Thomas, put your hand into My side.” Thomas cried out: “My Lord and my God!” He believed then, because he saw. Now if this body of Our Lord’s had been an ordinary body, it would have caused Him pain to allow anyone to put his hand into the wound; but it was impassible.
It seems very strange, does it not, that Thomas would not believe what the other Apostles told him? God permitted this. Why? Because, if they all believed easily, some enemies of Our Lord might say the Apostles were simple men that believed everything without proof. Now they cannot truly say so, because here was one of the Apostles, Thomas, who would not believe without the very strongest kind of proof. Another person, one would think, would have been satisfied with seeing Our Lord’s wounds; but Thomas would not trust even his eyes—he must also touch before he would believe: showing, therefore, that the Apostles were not deceived in anything Our Lord did in their presence, for they had always the most convincing proofs.

After the Resurrection, at the last day, the bodies of all those who are to be in Heaven will have the qualities I have mentioned; that is, they will be glorified bodies. …”

____________________________________________________________ ___________________
TAKEN FROM: [Baltimore Catechism No. 4, by Rev. Thomas L. Kinkead, pages 87-89.]

“He said to them, “Do not be amazed! You seek Jesus of Nazareth, the crucified. He has been raised; he is not here. Behold, the place where they laid him.” (Mark 16:6)

HE IS RISEN. ALLELUIA!

Last edited by AHJE : 04-08-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: The GLORIFIED BODY of Jesus & its 4 QUALITIES...

Here is a question that I love to hear people grapple with, so I will put you on the hot seat

Since Jesus ascended bodily into heavan, where is his physical body now?

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Wink Re: The GLORIFIED BODY of Jesus & its 4 QUALITIES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Here is a question that I love to hear people grapple with, so I will put you on the hot seat

Dear CatholicCrusader,

He is Risen! Truly Risen!

Because your question is such a good one, I will refrain from answering just yet ... hopefully others will have the opportunity to ponder it before I answer.

Once I see that this thread has received 33 VIEWS, I'll post my answer.

ALLELUIA!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Knight of the Forum

Alrighty then

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 PM

Arrow Re: The GLORIFIED BODY of Jesus & its 4 QUALITIES...

Quote:

My answer to this is:

If you are at the moment not in a Catholic Church where Jesus is PRESENT on the Altar in the Tabernacle, then the answer is He is NOT HERE, ... He is seated in Glory at the Father's Right Hand, with all things beneath His Feet, subject to Him.

If you are in a Catholic Church at the moment, then the answer is Jesus is right here WITH US.

Praised be Jesus Christ!
Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHJE View Post
My answer to this is:

If you are at the moment not in a Catholic Church where Jesus is PRESENT on the Altar in the Tabernacle, then the answer is He is NOT HERE, ... He is seated in Glory at the Father's Right Hand, with all things beneath His Feet, subject to Him.

If you are in a Catholic Church at the moment, then the answer is Jesus is right here WITH US.

Praised be Jesus Christ!
I'd agree that Jesus is seated at the Father's right Hand. Though more as a "first place to check" answer. I don't think Jesus is sitting around for the most part, but is still at work teaching the Gospel to those who have not received it. I don't know if Christ can physically be in the spirit world preaching to those who've passed away, but in some way He is at least overseeing their preaching. The work is not yet done and He is still bringing the hope of salvation to the children of God.

I don't get the answer as it relates to being in a Catholic Church. CC asked where Jesus' physical body is now. Presumably it's where ever Jesus physically is. While you might be referring to the Eucharist, I don't think I could walk into a Catholic Church and wash Christ's feet, feel the wounds in His hands, or embrace Him in a hug of gratitude, without resorting to a metaphor. Of course I believe the resurrection is real, that Christ is living somewhere as a glorified being, that he has a body of flesh and bone and spirit exalted.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Jesus Christ is Risen!!! His Body is not HERE!!! Not in this tomb! He is alive and well. Alleluia!!! Happy Easter, … Happy Pasch, … Happy Passover to all. Whatever you want to call it, … Our Lord has Risen as He has said He would and all that He has said is confirmed and our Faith is ever surer due to this Glorious Mystery of His Resurrection from the dead. (Yes, including His words in John 6, … all that He has ever said is confirmed and trustworthy.)

With what kind of Body did Jesus rise from the dead? This is the focus of this thread, and all are invited to share any Biblical Verses which will point to anything regarding the Lord in His Glorified Body.

“He will change our lowly body to conform with his glorified body by the power that enables him also to bring all things into subjection to himself.” (Philippians 3:21)

“… Our Lord rose in the same body He had before His death; but when He rose it had new qualities—it was glorified. The qualities of a glorified body are four, viz.: brilliancy, agility, subtility, and impassibility.

(1) It has brilliancy; that is, it shines like a light; it gives forth light; the soul shines through the body. You have heard of the Transfiguration of Our Lord. One day He took three of His Apostles—Peter, James, and John—unto a high mountain (Matt. 17); and as He was speaking to them, suddenly His whole body began to shine like the sun. Then Moses and Elias—two great and holy men of the Old Law—came and conversed with Him. The Apostles were astonished and delighted at the sight, and wished to remain there always. Our Lord’s body at that time showed one of the qualities of a glorified body. The same three Apostles that saw Him thus transfigured and heard the voice of the Heavenly Father saying, “This is My beloved Son,” were present in the garden during Our Lord’s agony. He allowed them to see the Transfiguration, so that when they should see Him suffering as man, they would remember that they saw Him on the mountain glorified as God.

(2) Agility; that is, a glorified body can move rapidly from one place to another, like the lightning itself. After His resurrection Our Lord was in Jerusalem, and almost immediately He appeared near the village of Emmaus to two disciples going there. (Luke 24). They had left Jerusalem after the Crucifixion, probably through fear, and were going along together talking about what had happened during the days of Our Lord’s Passion. Suddenly Our Lord came and walked and talked with them, but they did not know Him. They asked Him to stay that night at their house, for it was growing dark. He did not stop with them, and at supper they knew Him, and then He vanished from their sight. An ordinary person would have to get up and walk away; but He vanished, showing on this occasion the second quality of His glorified body—agility.

(3) Subtility; that is, such a body can go where it pleases and cannot be resisted by material things. It can pass through closed doors or gates, and even walls cannot keep it out. It passes through everything, as light does through glass without breaking it. At one time after Our Lord’s resurrection the Apostles were gathered together in a room, for they were still afraid of being put to death, and the doors were tightly closed. Suddenly Our Lord stood in the midst of them and said: “Peace be to you.” (John 20:19). They did not open the door for Him; neither wood nor stone could keep Him out: and thus He showed that His body had the third quality.

(4) His body had the fourth quality also—impassibility, which means that it can no longer suffer. Before His death, and at it, Our Lord suffered dreadful torments, as you know; but after His resurrection nothing could injure or hurt Him. The spear could not hurt His side, nor the nails His hands, nor the thorns His head. Shortly after His resurrection Our Lord appeared to His Apostles while Thomas, one of them, was absent. (John 20:24). When Thomas returned, the other Apostles told him that they had seen the Lord risen from the dead; but he would not believe them, saying: “Unless I see the holes where the nails were in His hands and feet, and put my finger into His side, I will not believe.” Now Our Lord, knowing all things, knew this also; so He came again when Thomas was present, and said to him: “Now, Thomas, put your hand into My side.” Thomas cried out: “My Lord and my God!” He believed then, because he saw. Now if this body of Our Lord’s had been an ordinary body, it would have caused Him pain to allow anyone to put his hand into the wound; but it was impassible.
It seems very strange, does it not, that Thomas would not believe what the other Apostles told him? God permitted this. Why? Because, if they all believed easily, some enemies of Our Lord might say the Apostles were simple men that believed everything without proof. Now they cannot truly say so, because here was one of the Apostles, Thomas, who would not believe without the very strongest kind of proof. Another person, one would think, would have been satisfied with seeing Our Lord’s wounds; but Thomas would not trust even his eyes—he must also touch before he would believe: showing, therefore, that the Apostles were not deceived in anything Our Lord did in their presence, for they had always the most convincing proofs.

After the Resurrection, at the last day, the bodies of all those who are to be in Heaven will have the qualities I have mentioned; that is, they will be glorified bodies. …”

____________________________________________________________ ___________________
TAKEN FROM: [Baltimore Catechism No. 4, by Rev. Thomas L. Kinkead, pages 87-89.]

“He said to them, “Do not be amazed! You seek Jesus of Nazareth, the crucified. He has been raised; he is not here. Behold, the place where they laid him.” (Mark 16:6)

HE IS RISEN. ALLELUIA!
5. Illusionable. Able to not look like it is. Liable to illusion. ▸
an appearance or effect that is different from the way that things really are

13 Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. 14 They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. 15 As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; 16 but they were kept from recognizing him.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:

Transubstantiated in many intestinal tracts around the planet.
Depending on ones constitution.

According to the Catholic Church, when the bread and wine are consecrated by the priest at Mass, they cease to be bread and wine, and become instead the Most Precious Body and Blood of Christ. The empirical appearances and attributes are not changed, but the underlying reality is. The consecration of the bread (known afterwards as the Host) and wine represents the separation of Jesus' body from his blood at Calvary; thus, this separation also represents the death of Christ. However, since according to Catholic dogma Christ has risen, the Church teaches that his body and blood are no longer truly separated, even if the appearances of the bread and the wine are. Where one is, the other must be. This is called the doctrine of concommitance. Therefore, although the priest (or minister) says, "The body of Christ", when administering the host, and, "The blood of Christ", when presenting the chalice, the communicant who receives either one receives Christ, whole and entire— "Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity".

Transubstantiation (from Latin transsubstantiatio) is the change of the substance of bread and wine into that of the body and blood of Christ, the change that, according to the belief of the Catholic Church, occurs in the Eucharist. It concerns what is changed (the substance of the bread and wine), not how the change is brought about.

Some may even be on the hot seat at this moment.
God please forgive my wickedness.

Last edited by CinderAsh : 04-09-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Knight of the Forum

^ Well, while I agree with what you both said, my question had to do with his body that ascended into heaven, legs, arms, hands feet, and the rest.

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 04-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Giuliano

Quote:
“… Our Lord rose in the same body He had before His death; but when He rose it had new qualities—it was glorified.
Who says it was the same? If that is true, how could the bread of Communion be changed into the Body of Christ?

Quote:
The qualities of a glorified body are four, viz.: brilliancy, agility, subtility, and impassibility.

This shows that the Light Body can shine -- it does not necessarily shine at all times -- not everyone saw this. Jesus appearance on the road to Emmaus shows the same thing.

Quote:
This does not say the he moved rapidly away. It says he vanished. Whoever wrote this article seems trapped inside the human concepts of space. Jesus does not have to "move" unless he wishes. He can appear or disappear since the distance of space doesn't apply. He can also be in more than one place at the same time. He can also project His Presence into any physical object he pleases which is the reason the bread and wine are changed into the Divine Substances. Thinking of Jesus having "one body" which moves through space using time to do it is a limitation I don't buy into.
Quote:
This does not show he moved through those objects. He could have simply appeared if he wished. Only he would know, I would say. Those who are born of the Spirit thus can move like the wind if they like. Who can tell where they come from or where they go?
Quote:
Some may even have them before then. Padre Pio had a spiritual body that could move thus. Remember that Paul said, "We shall not all sleep, but we shall be changed." Why be staggered by the fact that Padre Pio was changed and could move like the wind before his physical body died?

Yes, the stigmata have something to do with it. . . . Something must die in order to be reborn.