Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Mark of the Beast and Ash Wednesday

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
followj

Default Mark of the Beast and Ash Wednesday

Lucky charms, like a rabbit's foot doesn't work.
How about a cross or a crucifix around a person's neck?

Today on Ash Wednesday, many will get a lucky charm put on their foreheads.
A lot of tradition, crossing the heart, to the head, etc. Sounds a lot like Revelation.

But people can repent until they pass on. There is no purgatory, that is what that part of Revelation was trying to convey.

I don't need a rabbit's foot, do you?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Received Warning
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Josiah

Default Re: Mark of the Beast and Ash Wednesday

As I understand it...

Ashes has been associated with sinfulness and repentance far back into Old Testament times, and is mentioned often in Scripture. Think "sackcloth and ashes."

The wearing of ashes is a reflection of our contrition, repentance and penance. And a reminder that death is a consequence of our sin - to ashes we will return.

But it is worn in the Sign of the Cross! So it is also a reminder of our Baptism and a reminder of the forgiveness and life that is ours because of the Cross.

It is thus a powerful sign of our sinfulness and our redemption, of our contrition and our faith, of the death we deserve and the life we are given, of Law and Gospel.

It's always been VERY powerful and significant in my life.... I have often been blessed by the whole Ash Wednesday service, including the Eucharist and the administation of ashes.

It is Dogma? No. It is MANDATED praxis? Of course not. It's a VERY old custom, rich in symbolism. If you don't want to do it, don't. It's that simple. You are not more saved if you do or if you don't.

That's MY fallible and personal perspective....

Ain't saying it's worth anything...

- Josiah

Last edited by Josiah : 02-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:52 PM

I've worn a gold chain and crucifix around my neck for years next to my skin. It was a gift. The only time I think about it is when I'm getting ready to take a shower or take my shirt off for some reason, so much a part of me it's become. In any case, I didn't accept it as a "lucky charm", nor do I view it as such today. It's a symbol to me of what I believe. If indeed it's done something for me, I'm clueless about it.

Excellent answer, Josiah. It certainly is worth something to me.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 PM
followj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
As I understand it...

The wearing of ashes is a reflection of our contrition, repentance and penance. And a reminder that death is a consequence of our sin - to ashes we will return.

But it is worn in the Sign of the Cross! So it is also a reminder of our Baptism and a reminder of the forgiveness and life that is ours because of the Cross.
Penance--that is something I have never understood. It is not from Jesus in the gospels. Do you have to say so many Hail Marys or jump through hoops so many times? When was penance started?

Sign of the Cross, IHS that is what those three letters mean. It is on many crosses in churches, in Protestant churches, also.

Reminder of Baptism? If you baptized as a babe, can you remember it?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by followj View Post
Lucky charms, like a rabbit's foot doesn't work.
How about a cross or a crucifix around a person's neck?

Today on Ash Wednesday, many will get a lucky charm put on their foreheads.
A lot of tradition, crossing the heart, to the head, etc. Sounds a lot like Revelation.

But people can repent until they pass on. There is no purgatory, that is what that part of Revelation was trying to convey.

I don't need a rabbit's foot, do you?
You can question the practice without being disrespectful. As you have been insulting in doing so, I am closing the thread with a warning. If you want to open a similar thread where the op is more respectful and not in violation of forum rules, feel free to do so. Calling the sign of the cross a "rabbits foot," and above all on an op, is unacceptable.
Closed Thread