Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > What day did God set and give to mankind as the Sabbath?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Hobie

Default What day did God set and give to mankind as the Sabbath?

So what day did God set and give to mankind as the Sabbath? What authority can you find in the Old or New Testament, to keep any day as a Sabbath, or day of rest? As there is no other day given as the Sabbath, you then have to ask yourself why you do not observe the day given at Creation by the Creator and that is clearly appointed in the 4th Commandment and confirmed by Christ?

Now if you think or some tells that the day has ever been changed, then please point to the chapter and verse.

When anyone says you have to keep Sunday holy, and directs you to the Fourth Commandment as authority for keeping itm why then does the Commandment says the seventh day, and they are saying or trying to teach you to keep the first. And another thing, how can the Pope or anyone reproach others or condemn them for working, or doing anything not involved with worship or something else on Sunday, or first day of the week, as the Commandment does not refer to Sunday or first day as Gods holy day, but commands of the seventh day, instead of the first? So what day is the seventh and is there any confusion on what day it is...lets look:

1) "The seventh day is the Sabbath." Ex. 20:10

2) Jesus Christ knew: Jesus "went into the synagogue on the sabbath day." Luke 4:16.

3) Ask any Jew: Jews have been keeping the same Sabbath from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night for over 3000 years.

4) The Calendar: The calendar changed once, in 1582, from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar. Thursday, October 4, was followed by Friday, October 15. This change did not affect the weekly sequence. Most calendars still show Saturday as the seventh day.

5) 105 Languages: In over 100 languages the name for the day that we call “Saturday” is "the Sabbath." For example,“Saturday” in the Spanish language is "Sabado," which means “the Sabbath.” In Italian, it is "Sabbato," which also means “the Sabbath.” In Russian it is, "Subbota." In Polish, "Sobota,” etc. Interestingly enough, in Ghana the day for Sunday, literally translated, means “White man changed this day!”

6) Webster's Dictionary: "Saturday: the 7th day of the week." "Sunday: the first day of the week."

7) The World Book Encyclopedia: "Sabbath ... It comes on Saturday, the seventh day of the week."

8) The biblical sequence of the crucifixion weekend: Jesus died on a day we call "Good Friday," which was the day before the Sabbath. See Luke 23:46, 54. When the sun went down, the woman rested on "the Sabbath day according to the commandment." Luke 23:56. Jesus rose on Sunday, "the first day of the week." Luke 24:1, 6.

Would God say, "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy," if it was impossible to discover which day we should remember?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:53 PM

Default Re: What day did God set and give to mankind as the Sabbath?

Jesus said to His Apostolic Church, "He that heareth you, heareth me;
and he that despiseth you, despiseth me;
and he that despiseth me, despiseth him that sent me." (St. Luke 10:16, DRB)

Well, ... there you have it, Hobie, ... Scripture directs us to the Apostolic Church (SENT from the Beginning) ... to hear the Word of Christ ... the Word of God. If you manage to discover where this Church is, then you can ask what day the People of God ought to REST and Worship God in the Sacred Assembly.

This is the LIGHT from Sacred Scripture.

Praised be Jesus Christ.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Giuliano

Answer: No day was given to mankind as the Sabbath.

The Sabbath was given to Israel. That is stated more than once. Nowhere is it said to be observed by Gentiles. It would if they convert to Judaism of course.

Some Jews still pay Gentiles to do little jobs for them on the Sabbath. That's fine because Gentiles aren't expected to keep it.

Here is one passage:

Deuteronomy 5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

My ancestors were not servants in the land of Egypt. They were not brought out. Why then should I think this applies to me? What of Exodus 20? Was that spoken to all mankind? No. It begins:

Exodus 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

It was spoken to Israel who took a vow at Sinai to observe it and the other points of the law. It was not given to Gentiles, and Gentiles did not take a vow to observe it.

Ask the next Rabbi you meet if Gentiles are expected to observe the Sabbath. They will tell you no since they read the Torah correctly.

Last edited by Giuliano : 02-14-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 AM
Hobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
Answer: No day was given to mankind as the Sabbath.

The Sabbath was given to Israel. That is stated more than once. Nowhere is it said to be observed by Gentiles. It would if they convert to Judaism of course.

Some Jews still pay Gentiles to do little jobs for them on the Sabbath. That's fine because Gentiles aren't expected to keep it.

Here is one passage:

Deuteronomy 5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

My ancestors were not servants in the land of Egypt. They were not brought out. Why then should I think this applies to me? What of Exodus 20? Was that spoken to all mankind? No. It begins:

Exodus 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

It was spoken to Israel who took a vow at Sinai to observe it and the other points of the law. It was not given to Gentiles, and Gentiles did not take a vow to observe it.

Ask the next Rabbi you meet if Gentiles are expected to observe the Sabbath. They will tell you no since they read the Torah correctly.
You will have to study the scriptures and understand who Jesus was, the Creator and Lord of the Sabbath.

Jesus Christ is “Lord even of the Sabbath day”, but the fullness of that statement needs to be understood by understanding who Jesus was.

“For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.” Matthew 12:8. By identifying Himself as “Lord even of the Sabbath day,” Jesus was, in reality, revealing that He Himself was the One who originally made Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. The New Testament is very clear that Jesus Christ is not just our Savior, but is also our Creator. Notice carefully:

All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that has been made. John 1:3

He [Jesus] was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not. John 1:10

God, who created all things by Jesus Christ. Eph. 3:9 KJV

For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. Col. 1:16

Thus Jesus Christ is our Creator. The One who created, rested. Thus the Sabbath commandment, when correctly understood in the light of both the Old and New Testaments, points to Jesus Christ

Now some may say but God the great Jehovah created the earth in the beginning, but here is were the mystery of the Trinity has to be understood in order to understand who Jesus was.

Jesus is the Jehovah of ALL the Bible. He is the LORD Jehovah that walked in the cool of the day in Eden. Jesus was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Jesus was Jehovah God who gave the Ten Commandments. Jesus was Jehovah God who was in the pillar of fire by night and cloud by day. Jesus was Jehovah God who appeared to Moses in the fiery bush and declared I am that I am.

Jesus’ Claims About Himself - John 8 (New International Version)
48 The Jews answered him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?”
49 “I am not possessed by a demon,” said Jesus, “but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. 50 I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.”
52 At this they exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that whoever obeys your word will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?”
54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”
57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”
58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

With solemn dignity Jesus answered, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM. Silence fell upon the vast assembly. The name of God, given to Moses to express the idea of the eternal presence, had been claimed as His own by Jesus.

Lets look at this story of Moses and the Burning Bush.

“14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.” (Ex 3:14-15 )

Now scripture shows us even more clearly who Christ is, if we just let the Holy Spirit guide us into truth.

THE FIRST AND THE LAST
Re 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Re 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

Re 2:8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

Re 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Isaiah 41:4
Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he.

Isaiah 44:6
Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:12
Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

Now lets look at who is the Savior:

“ I, even I, am the LORD ; and beside me there is no saviour.” (Isa 43:11 )

“ Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.” (Isa 45:21 )

“ Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.” (** 13:4 )

“ Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;” (1Ti 1:1 )

“ But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.” (2Pe 3:18 )

“ For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:” (Php 3:20 AV)

Jesus is truly the Creator, Jehovah, the First and the Last, our Saviour and Lord of the Sabbath. It is His day of worship from Creation, the day of rest, made for man not man for the Sabbath..

Genesis 2
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

The Sabbath was not just for the Jews, but for all mankind which the Creator gave us. Our Lord and Saviour shows us.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 AM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
You will have to study the scriptures and understand who Jesus was, the Creator and Lord of the Sabbath.

Jesus Christ is “Lord even of the Sabbath day”, but the fullness of that statement needs to be understood by understanding who Jesus was.

“For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.” Matthew 12:8. By identifying Himself as “Lord even of the Sabbath day,” Jesus was, in reality, revealing that He Himself was the One who originally made Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. The New Testament is very clear that Jesus Christ is not just our Savior, but is also our Creator. Notice carefully:

All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that has been made. John 1:3

He [Jesus] was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not. John 1:10

God, who created all things by Jesus Christ. Eph. 3:9 KJV

For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. Col. 1:16

Thus Jesus Christ is our Creator. The One who created, rested. Thus the Sabbath commandment, when correctly understood in the light of both the Old and New Testaments, points to Jesus Christ

Now some may say but God the great Jehovah created the earth in the beginning, but here is were the mystery of the Trinity has to be understood in order to understand who Jesus was.

Jesus is the Jehovah of ALL the Bible. He is the LORD Jehovah that walked in the cool of the day in Eden. Jesus was the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Jesus was Jehovah God who gave the Ten Commandments. Jesus was Jehovah God who was in the pillar of fire by night and cloud by day. Jesus was Jehovah God who appeared to Moses in the fiery bush and declared I am that I am.

Jesus’ Claims About Himself - John 8 (New International Version)
48 The Jews answered him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?”
49 “I am not possessed by a demon,” said Jesus, “but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. 50 I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.”
52 At this they exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that whoever obeys your word will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?”
54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”
57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”
58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

With solemn dignity Jesus answered, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM. Silence fell upon the vast assembly. The name of God, given to Moses to express the idea of the eternal presence, had been claimed as His own by Jesus.

Lets look at this story of Moses and the Burning Bush.

“14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.” (Ex 3:14-15 )

Now scripture shows us even more clearly who Christ is, if we just let the Holy Spirit guide us into truth.

THE FIRST AND THE LAST
Re 1:11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Re 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

Re 2:8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

Re 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Isaiah 41:4
Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he.

Isaiah 44:6
Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:12
Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called; I am he; I am the first, I also am the last.

Now lets look at who is the Savior:

“ I, even I, am the LORD ; and beside me there is no saviour.” (Isa 43:11 )

“ Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.” (Isa 45:21 )

“ Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me.” (** 13:4 )

“ Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;” (1Ti 1:1 )

“ But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.” (2Pe 3:18 )

“ For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:” (Php 3:20 AV)

Jesus is truly the Creator, Jehovah, the First and the Last, our Saviour and Lord of the Sabbath. It is His day of worship from Creation, the day of rest, made for man not man for the Sabbath..

Genesis 2
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.

2 By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.
You pile up many words, none of which answers my point. Your mind wanders off to talk about the Trinity and other things. Stay focused please. Please.
Quote:
The Sabbath was not just for the Jews, but for all mankind which the Creator gave us. Our Lord and Saviour shows us.
You have not shown this.

I have shown you from the Scriptures where the Sabbath was given to Israel. Show me from the Scriptures where Gentiles are told to observe it.

I can show you passages in the New Testament which says Christians need not observe it or indeed any day at all. Do you know them or do I need to cite them? That agrees perfectly with the Jewish ideas about it.

And show me too how God brought your ancestors out of Egypt. Can you? If you can, then you maybe should observe the Sabbath.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Hobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
You pile up many words, none of which answers my point. Your mind wanders off to talk about the Trinity and other things. Stay focused please. Please.

You have not shown this.

I have shown you from the Scriptures where the Sabbath was given to Israel. Show me from the Scriptures where Gentiles are told to observe it.

I can show you passages in the New Testament which says Christians need not observe it or indeed any day at all. Do you know them or do I need to cite them? That agrees perfectly with the Jewish ideas about it.

And show me too how God brought your ancestors out of Egypt. Can you? If you can, then you maybe should observe the Sabbath.

I will make it simple, Christ the Creator of the Sabbath, who made it and Lord of the Sabbath, the great I AM who wrote 'Remember the Sabbath' in the commanmdments asks something of you.......

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

and confirms it...........

1 John 5:2
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

1 John 2:4
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Last edited by Hobie : 02-15-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
I will make it simple, Christ the Creator of the Sabbath, who made it and Lord of the Sabbath, the great I AM who wrote 'Remember the Sabbath' in the commanmdments asks something of you.......

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

and confirms it...........

1 John 5:2
By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

1 John 5:3
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

1 John 2:4
He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
There are 613 commandments. . . . are Christians to keep them all? What about these passages?

Romans 1:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Acts 15: 17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called , saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
24 Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying , Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26 Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
27 We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

You want to add a greater burden. You lack the authority. The Apostles agreed with the doctrine of Jews even today -- Gentiles are not bound to observe the Sabbath.

Last edited by Giuliano : 02-15-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 AM

If you did want to keep the sabbath which IS good, but not required of gentiles, then you would have to follow the moon cycles spoken of in the Old testament which DO NOT follow the julian calender that we follow today.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
If you did want to keep the sabbath which IS good, but not required of gentiles, then you would have to follow the moon cycles spoken of in the Old testament which DO NOT follow the julian calender that we follow today.

You could just forget the monthly thing. Or you could do the whole thing, with all the festivals.

Question: When does the Sabbath begin? When the sun first touches the horizon? When it's half down? When the last bit of sun disappears?

The answer to that would have to be left up to the Sanhedrin since Jesus told Jews to obey the regulations as the Sanhedrin interpreted things.

We could have some fun spending our tithe money on strong drink.

Deuteronomy 14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,

Last edited by Giuliano : 02-15-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Justshoot

The Lord has told man what to observe. Thus says the Lord;

"You've been told what is good and what the Lord requires of you, only to do what is right love goodness and walk humbly with the Lord your God."

"Observe what is right and do what is just, for my salvation is about to come, my justice about to be revealed, blessed is the man who does this the son of man who holds to it".

"By your words you'll be forgiven or by your words you'll be condemned".

"All those who do right shall rise to live"

"All those who call on the name of the Lord will be saved".