Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Why Baptize Babies?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
followj

Default Why Baptize Babies?

I don't think you will find examples in the Bible where babies were baptized. Catholics baptize babies and some Protestants do it too. Here are some possible reasons to do so:

1__tradition, It's been done for hundreds of years, so why stop now.

2__for people who cannot read, they believe what they are told.

3__money, This is probably the most important reason.

Babies haven't sinned yet, do not even know any words. Is there a better reason to baptize little bablies?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Representative Clergy

Default Re: Why Baptize Babies?

--We are called to make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that He has commanded. This starts right from infancy, making them disciples and teaching them to observe His commandments.

--As many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Why should this be restricted to adults?

--We give babies baths and they do not understand the reason for it, but it still benefits them. Same thing with the spiritual bath.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by followj View Post
I don't think you will find examples in the Bible where babies were baptized. Catholics baptize babies and some Protestants do it too. Here are some possible reasons to do so:

1__tradition, It's been done for hundreds of years, so why stop now.

2__for people who cannot read, they believe what they are told.

3__money, This is probably the most important reason.

Babies haven't sinned yet, do not even know any words. Is there a better reason to baptize little bablies?
Can you explain why Jesus himself did not baptize others? If you think about this, an idea may come to your mind which then will tell you if it's okay to baptize babies.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 PM

^ I believe that Jesus did not Baptize others is because He has entrusted this to the Holy Apostles, ... Jesus has Baptized with the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost. Giving Efficacy to the WATER Baptism, the power to cleanse from sin and regenerate the person, that he may be born of water and the Spirit. This is what I get from Scripture.

All babies in general are born with the stain of Original Sin. But, followj, it seems that you don't believe this.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHJE View Post
^ I believe that Jesus did not Baptize others is because He has entrusted this to the Holy Apostles, ... Jesus has Baptized with the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost. Giving Efficacy to the WATER Baptism, the power to cleanse from sin and regenerate the person, that he may be born of water and the Spirit. This is what I get from Scripture.
Very close to my own opinion. It seems that Jesus wanted his followers to serve each other. To be brought into the Body of Christ, it was not enough to accept Jesus as the Head -- one needed also to accept the other members of the Body. Thus, someone on earth, acting on behalf of Jesus in Heaven, could baptize another and bring him into the Body by exercising lawful spiritual authority.

We believe, I hope, that parents have spiritual authority over their children. I recall Jesus healing people when others asked him. He healed the servant for his master and a child for her mother. In Acts 11 & 16, we find a man told that he and his entire house can be saved. .We cannot force someone to be good; but it is possible to exercise spiritual authority and give spiritual gifts.

There are some people who think Christianity is only about "Jesus and me." They do not see the bigger picture; but it should be one of our first lessons -- to enter the church, we need to let another human being baptize us.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
Can you explain why Jesus himself did not baptize others? If you think about this, an idea may come to your mind which then will tell you if it's okay to baptize babies.
Jesus baptizes those who earnestly seek him but not of water:

11 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
Very close to my own opinion. It seems that Jesus wanted his followers to serve each other. To be brought into the Body of Christ, it was not enough to accept Jesus as the Head -- one needed also to accept the other members of the Body. Thus, someone on earth, acting on behalf of Jesus in Heaven, could baptize another and bring him into the Body by exercising lawful spiritual authority.

We believe, I hope, that parents have spiritual authority over their children. I recall Jesus healing people when others asked him. He healed the servant for his master and a child for her mother. In Acts 11 & 16, we find a man told that he and his entire house can be saved. .We cannot force someone to be good; but it is possible to exercise spiritual authority and give spiritual gifts.

There are some people who think Christianity is only about "Jesus and me." They do not see the bigger picture; but it should be one of our first lessons -- to enter the church, we need to let another human being baptize us.
And isn't this akin to obeying Jesus who orders us to allow others to wash our feet?

It is true, Jesus did miracles for someone based on the FAITH OF ANOTHER, like the Roman Centurion who asked Jesus to heal his servant. Jesus did so by the GREAT FAITH of the Roman Centurion.

Last edited by AHJE : 02-10-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:58 AM
followj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHJE View Post

All babies in general are born with the stain of Original Sin. But, followj, it seems that you don't believe this.
Original sin, OF COURSE NOT. You would be better off claiming tradition.

Baptism doesn't cleanse from sin as you say. Do you think that babies who are NOT baptized go to hell? If you do, then they should be baptized the moment they are born, or even before they are born--why take a chance??

An unbeliever can be baptized and it does him no good whatsoever.

Last edited by followj : 02-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM

^ That is Capital T Tradition, but yes it is right there in the Bible:

“And I will pour upon you clean water, and you shall be cleansed from all your filthiness, and I will cleanse you from all your idols. And I will give you a new heart, and put a new spirit within you: and I will take away the stony heart our of your flesh, and will give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit in the midst of you: and I will cause you to walk in my commandments, and to keep my judgments, and do them. And you shall dwell in the land which I gave to your fathers, and you shall be my people, and I will be your God. And I will save you from all your uncleannesses: …” (Ezechiel 36:25-29, DRB)

In Baptism Jesus saves us from our Impurities, and Jesus himself told Nicodemus in John 3:1-5 that you must be born again, and of WATER and the HOLY SPIRIT.

I invite you to have faith in Jesus words without despising MATTER.

Peace be with you, followj.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM
followj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
--We are called to make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that He has commanded. This starts right from infancy, making them disciples and teaching them to observe His commandments.

--As many as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. Why should this be restricted to adults?

--We give babies baths and they do not understand the reason for it, but it still benefits them. Same thing with the spiritual bath.
Very few adults claim to remember anything before they were 2 years old. What good does it do for a baby that is only a few weeks or months old to be baptized?

You could also baptize an adult who doesn't know the language that you are speaking, does it do him any good? A bunch of Muslims are captured in war, they are baptized, they don't know what is going on.