Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > The difference Between Religion and the Gospel

Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default The difference Between Religion and the Gospel

RELIGION: I obey, therefore Iím accepted.

THE GOSPEL: Iím accepted, therefore I obey.

RELIGION: Motivation is based on fear and insecurity.

THE GOSPEL: Motivation is based on grateful joy.

RELIGION: I obey God in order to get things from God.

THE GOSPEL: I obey God to get to God, to delight and resemble him.

RELIGION: When circumstances in my life go wrong, I am angry at God or myself, since I believe, like Jobís friends that anyone who is good deserves a comfortable life.

THE GOSPEL: When circumstances in my life go wrong, I struggle but I know all my punishment fell on Jesus and that while he may allow this for my training, he will exercise his fatherly love within my trial.

RELIGION: When I am criticized, I am furious or devastated because it is critical that I think of myself as a "good person." Threats to that self-image must be destroyed at all costs.

THE GOSPEL: When I am criticized, I can take it. I struggle, but it is not critical for me to think of myself as a "good person." My identity is not built on my record or my performance, but on Godís love for me in Christ.

RELIGION: My prayer life consists largely of petition and only heats up when I am in a time of need. My main purpose in prayer is control of my environment.

THE GOSPEL: My prayer life consists of generous stretches of praise and adoration. My main purpose is fellowship with God.

RELIGION: My self-view swings between two poles: If and when I am living up to my standards, I feel confident, but then I am prone to be proud and unsympathetic to failing people. If and when I am not living up to standards, I feel insecure, inadequate, and not confident. I feel like a failure.

THE GOSPEL: My self-view is not based on a view of myself as a moral achiever. In Christ I am ďsimul iustus et peccatorĒósimultaneously sinful and yet accepted in Christ. I am so bad he had to die for me and I am so loved he was glad to die for me. This leads me to deeper and deeper humility and confidence at the same time, neither swaggering nor sniveling.

RELIGION: My identity and self-worth are based mainly on how hard I work or how moral I am, and so I must look down on those I perceive as lazy or immoral. I disdain and feel superior to "the other."

THE GOSPEL: My identity and self-worth are centered on the one who died for his enemies and who was excluded from the city for me. I am saved by sheer grace, so I canít look down on those who believe or practice something different from me. It is only by grace that I am what I am. I have no inner need to win arguments.

RELIGION: Since I look to my own pedigree or performance for my spiritual acceptability, my heart manufactures idols. It may be my talents, my moral record, my personal discipline, my social status, etc. I absolutely have to have them so they serve as my main hope, meaning, happiness, security, and significance, regardless of what I say I believe about God.

THE GOSPEL: I have many good things in my life: family, work, spiritual disciplines, etc. But none of these good things is an ultimate end for me. None of them is something I absolutely have to have, so there is a limit to how much anxiety, bitterness, and despondency such things can inflict on me when they are threatened and lost.
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 AM
followj

Default Re: The difference Between Religion and the Gospel

??? Lots of words

Last edited by followj : 01-18-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: ??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Knight of the Forum

Maybe so, but, all of them a good!
Thanks Brother.
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by followj View Post
??? Lots of words

Take a moment to look at the first two lines.Why do we seek to do Gods will?
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:03 PM
alphaomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinghiswill View Post
RELIGION: I obey, therefore Iím accepted.

THE GOSPEL: Iím accepted, therefore I obey.

RELIGION: Motivation is based on fear and insecurity.

THE GOSPEL: Motivation is based on grateful joy.

RELIGION: I obey God in order to get things from God.

THE GOSPEL: I obey God to get to God, to delight and resemble him.

RELIGION: When circumstances in my life go wrong, I am angry at God or myself, since I believe, like Jobís friends that anyone who is good deserves a comfortable life.

THE GOSPEL: When circumstances in my life go wrong, I struggle but I know all my punishment fell on Jesus and that while he may allow this for my training, he will exercise his fatherly love within my trial.

RELIGION: When I am criticized, I am furious or devastated because it is critical that I think of myself as a "good person." Threats to that self-image must be destroyed at all costs.

THE GOSPEL: When I am criticized, I can take it. I struggle, but it is not critical for me to think of myself as a "good person." My identity is not built on my record or my performance, but on Godís love for me in Christ.

RELIGION: My prayer life consists largely of petition and only heats up when I am in a time of need. My main purpose in prayer is control of my environment.

THE GOSPEL: My prayer life consists of generous stretches of praise and adoration. My main purpose is fellowship with God.

RELIGION: My self-view swings between two poles: If and when I am living up to my standards, I feel confident, but then I am prone to be proud and unsympathetic to failing people. If and when I am not living up to standards, I feel insecure, inadequate, and not confident. I feel like a failure.

THE GOSPEL: My self-view is not based on a view of myself as a moral achiever. In Christ I am ďsimul iustus et peccatorĒósimultaneously sinful and yet accepted in Christ. I am so bad he had to die for me and I am so loved he was glad to die for me. This leads me to deeper and deeper humility and confidence at the same time, neither swaggering nor sniveling.

RELIGION: My identity and self-worth are based mainly on how hard I work or how moral I am, and so I must look down on those I perceive as lazy or immoral. I disdain and feel superior to "the other."

THE GOSPEL: My identity and self-worth are centered on the one who died for his enemies and who was excluded from the city for me. I am saved by sheer grace, so I canít look down on those who believe or practice something different from me. It is only by grace that I am what I am. I have no inner need to win arguments.

RELIGION: Since I look to my own pedigree or performance for my spiritual acceptability, my heart manufactures idols. It may be my talents, my moral record, my personal discipline, my social status, etc. I absolutely have to have them so they serve as my main hope, meaning, happiness, security, and significance, regardless of what I say I believe about God.

THE GOSPEL: I have many good things in my life: family, work, spiritual disciplines, etc. But none of these good things is an ultimate end for me. None of them is something I absolutely have to have, so there is a limit to how much anxiety, bitterness, and despondency such things can inflict on me when they are threatened and lost.
religion; is concerned for when things in my life go wrong
the gospel message ; shows us to talk with god about these conditions
YET; understand the true outcome for this is measured by eternity
and eternity will not concern itself with the issues that we see today as making out "life" hard
Old 01-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Representative Clergy

The only use of the term religion found in Scripture is a positive one. I cannot get on board with the evangelicalist (no, I didn't misspell ) dichotomy between religion and the gospel.

Scripture teaches:
True religion is good; false religion is bad
True gospel is good; false gospel is bad
Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
The only use of the term religion found in Scripture is a positive one. I cannot get on board with the evangelicalist (no, I didn't misspell ) dichotomy between religion and the gospel.

Scripture teaches:
True religion is good; false religion is bad
True gospel is good; false gospel is bad
By their fruits, you can tell the tree. If we have the right gospel, we'll have right religion; and if we have adopted a false gospel, we will have false religion. Good ideas -> good practices. Bad ideas -> bad practices.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
By their fruits, you can tell the tree. If we have the right gospel, we'll have right religion; and if we have adopted a false gospel, we will have false religion. Good ideas -> good practices. Bad ideas -> bad practices.
I agree...
Old 01-22-2012, 02:37 PM

Exclamation Re: The difference Between Religion and the Gospel

PREACH IT LINSINBIGLER!!

Amen to his words. True Spirituality is True Religion. And True Religion is True Spirituality.

BEWARE of a CHRISTIANITY without MORALITY in GRACE!

Praised be Jesus Christ, who has blessed the External and the Internal.

Indeed Jesus has blessed both the OUTSIDE of the cup and the INSIDE of the cup.

(Hey, come to think of it, ... how do you have an "inside of the cup" WITHOUT an "OUTSIDE of the cup"??)

Does everybody understand where I'm coming from? Many times people limit the word 'religion' to mere external practices devoid of the more weightier INTERNAL aspects of religion.

RELIGION is both External and Internal. Why? Because we are not pure spirits like the angels. We are both Body and Soul. Jesus has blessed the world of the senses and has incorporated it into Divine Worship.
These are rightly ordered in Spirit and in Truth.

Jesus actually demands that we observe the VIRTUE of Religion in keeping with the 1st Commandment: ...

"[But] these you should have done, without neglecting the others." (Matthew 23:23, NAB)

Thanks be to God.

Last edited by AHJE : 01-22-2012 at 02:52 PM.