Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Why I am an atheist and a naturalist

Old 01-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Why I am an atheist and a naturalist

Quote:
A few years ago, I came to the rather life-changing conclusion that God doesn’t exist. In the past couple of years, my friends and family have noticed me becoming more vocal about my skepticism of theism and my pointed disdain for religion. Many people in my family are fervently religious, and I have more than a few God-fearing friends. After catching wind of my thoughts on God and religion, some of them have asked me to share how I came to this position. I’ve explained it to a few, and promised to talk about it with others over a beer in the future. If only I had access to some sort of internet-connected publishing platform that I could use to lay out my story for everyone all at once! Oh, right.

Before I begin, I have some words of warning. This will be a long read. Very, very long.

I’m going to tell my entire story; from my religious experiences in early childhood, to my rejection of religion and God in my mid-twenties. The backstory is important, as my skepticism isn’t something new, but something that has been a lifelong struggle.

Next, I should warn you that if you are a person of faith, I’ll probably offend you gravely with this tome. Make no mistake: I have no compunctions about doing so. I’m not one to hide the truth behind deferential embroidery. Still, if you are the type who is likely to take offense and refuse to continue reading, it would be most courteous of me to offend you early on, so as to respect your valuable time.

To that end: God is almost certainly a lie, religion is a scourge upon the world, and you are wasting your life with a cultish devotion to nonsensical superstitions and soul-crushing dogmas. Also, you don’t have a soul.

Now that I’ve dispensed with the discourteous courtesies, and we are rid of the chronically hyper-offendable, let us begin.
Why I am an atheist and a naturalist - Tempus Fugit: Mark Jaquith's Blog
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Why I am an atheist and a naturalist

He has a "very very very" long story about himself - what a surprise.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
He has a "very very very" long story about himself - what a surprise.
LOL!!! Yeah, they love to share, being dismal is always more fun if you can share it with others.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Representative Clergy

"I" and "me" ... lots of that stuff. Ultimately, an atheist is his own god. He is a worshipper of self. Therefore, atheists are not really atheists, they are autotheist, that each person is a god unto themselves.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Suspended for Review

If, by that, you mean that those without a belief in the divine have to work out themselves how best to live their life then you’d be correct. If, by that, you mean that they have to take personal responsibility for decisions that they make on matters of morality, then again you’d be correct.

If, by that, you mean that I am not bound by dogma, inhibited by decisions made by others or subservient to those who claim to speak with god-given authority, then you’d be right on the money.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Administrator

A strange notion - to truly believe the apex of wisdom ends at the scientific method.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Knight of the Forum

Atheists believe in a miracle very similar to the ones we believe in that they think are stupid. They just refuse to confront them.
You can not get something from absolute nothing. Its impossible. No matter how you slice it, there had to be a force that cause "Creation". Theists call that force God. Atheists, by and large, refuse to even look that far in the past or future.
I'm not sure they even realize that by asking which came first, the chicken or the egg, they acknowledge that one of them had to come first.
Some are now saying that it is possible for two atoms to have appeared in the "Void" out of nothing. Okay, I'll play. Where did the void come from?
Hard to accept the Words Father spoke to Moses all those years ago, "I am, that I am". Still they ring the Truest of the creation "theories".
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelowlyfisherman View Post
No matter how you slice it, there had to be a force that cause "Creation".
Son: Dad, where did everything come from.
Father: Mmm, thatís a difficult question to answer. Some people think that weíll never find out. Others have different stories to explain how it all was made.
Son: Different stories?
Father: Yeah. When you get to school ask Peter, Ng, Sanjeev and Ayoko and theyíll tell you about theirs.
Son: But how do I know if one of them is right?
Father: Well, unfortunately, thereís no way to find that out.
Son: Do I have to choose one of them?
Father: No, itís OK to say that you donít know. But if you learn enough about all the stories you can decide to believe one of them if you like.
Son: But the story is either true or itís not, isnít it? How can I decide to believe something if thereís no way to tell?
Father: Beats me, kid. Ask your mother.

Quote:
Theists call that force God.
You mean all the theists that you know.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Son: Dad, where did everything come from.
Father: Mmm, thatís a difficult question to answer. Some people think that weíll never find out. Others have different stories to explain how it all was made.
Son: Different stories?
Father: Yeah. When you get to school ask Peter, Ng, Sanjeev and Ayoko and theyíll tell you about theirs.
Son: But how do I know if one of them is right?
Father: Well, unfortunately, thereís no way to find that out.
Son: Do I have to choose one of them?
Father: No, itís OK to say that you donít know. But if you learn enough about all the stories you can decide to believe one of them if you like.
Son: But the story is either true or itís not, isnít it? How can I decide to believe something if thereís no way to tell?
Father: Beats me, kid. Ask your mother.

You mean all the theists that you know.
Hey, I adore the Truth. I worship the Truth. I have no fear of where the Truth may lead. The Truth is all I want to know.
Like I said, "I am, that I am", rings truer than anything else I have heard yet.
I used God in a generic sense. Maybe I should have said Creator.
Anyway, keeping an open mind allows the truth to be made manifest to you. Closing your mind to any possibility only increases the chances that you will be wrong.
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Closing your mind to any possibility only increases the chances that you will be wrong.
We could be in agreement here. As an atheist I don't believe in gods. But there is always the change that I'm wrong. Maybe Ng, Sanjeev, Ayoko or anyone else who believes in a god/creator/divine spirit is right.

I'll assume that you are also open to that possibility. And to the possibility that every religion has got it wrong.