Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > The Great Principle of Jesus

Old 01-08-2012, 10:54 PM
followj

Default The Great Principle of Jesus

"For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake, he will save it." Luke 9:24

Some have called this the Great Principle. It is recorded seven times in slightly different words in the four gospels; and nowhere else in the Bible.

Here are the other verses for those who want to look them up:

Matt 10:39---------------Matt 16:25
Mark 8:35
Luke 9:24----------------Luke 14:26-27-----------Luke 17:33

John 12:25 is probably my favorite: "He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life."

From Matt Ch 16, v.24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. v.25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. v. 26 For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? For what shall a man give in exchange for his life."

Many people are familiar with verse 24 and 26, but maybe not verse 25.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: The Great Principle of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by followj View Post
"For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for my sake, he will save it." Luke 9:24

Some have called this the Great Principle. It is recorded seven times in slightly different words in the four gospels; and nowhere else in the Bible.

John 12:25 is probably my favorite: "He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life."

From Matt Ch 16, v.24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. v.25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. v. 26 For what will it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life? For what shall a man give in exchange for his life."

Please explain your favourite.
In the depths of your soul, life what does this mean to you?
This Great Principle.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:

Some call this " how to be a disciple of Jesus", " the cost of discipleship"

ped
Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 AM

Lightbulb The Great Principle of Jesus

I'm certain that all of us can't get out of our minds certain statements made by others on this website.For me the statement "my family has grown so much I need to buy a new van" is what I keep thinking about.Now let's compare it to a Christian statement:Matt Ch 16, v.24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

What do you want to do with your life is what it comes down to;dedicate your life to serving God or fill your life with idolatry by serving a false goddess who demands sacrificial gifts of more and more vans from you.

The Christian faith has not been designed to create success or find pleasure in or even tolerate this world but rather to OVERCOME it!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM
followj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
Some call this " how to be a disciple of Jesus", " the cost of discipleship"

ped
Thanks. I have never heard a sermon in a church telling of the Great Principle. A few months ago I was in a church, a passage was read which contained the verse, but it was glossed over; the sermon was of another topic.

I have watched a lot Christian television (TBN) and only once did one try to tackle it. On an "Ask the Pastor" show, one said it still applied to a few, missionaries who risk their lives.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
followj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post
Please explain your favourite.
In the depths of your soul, life what does this mean to you?
This Great Principle.
Anyone can check the internet, type in a few words: Great Principle Jesus.
Check out a few websites. One that I know of has them in columns (with verses before and after) so that they can be read in context.

It appears to me that it applies to all people. It is compatible with the first and Great Commandment: Love God with all, heart, soul, strength and mind. There is a previous thread on this; whether it still applies. I think that it does.

If one truly loves God the Father, won't he/she want to be with him? Jesus did. As one person (who has since passed on) said, Jesus went ahead of us, not instead of us. If one dies on Earth kicking and screaming wanting to live another few years or even one more day; maybe he hasn't applied this Principle.

Luke 9:23, And he said to all, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Then the next verse is the Great Principle.

To believe and practice this Principal, it makes sense to me to believe Jesus when he said to love your enemies, not to defend yourself. That is what Jesus did. Should I fight in a war (my enemy is trying to kill me) to extend my life?

Matt 5:44-45, "But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven."

If I am alone at home and have a heart attack should I call the doctor to help extend my life or even to save it? Each person needs to decide that for himself. It might be a good idea to plan ahead.

In the parable of the man building a tower, Luke 14:28-33, Jesus said the man would be mocked if he did not count the cost to see if he had enough money to complete it. One has to renounce all that he has to be his disciple. What more does one have than his life here on earth? In return he receives life eternal.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Knight of the Forum

A good topic with some good responses. As to it not being found elsewhere in the Bible,

reading it in your OP brought the following verses to my mind:

"Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:

She hath killed her beasts..." Prov 9:1-2

I see the "beasts" to be killed as the "life" to be lost. This is, I believe, the "old man" mentioned in Paul's writing [Rom 6:6, Eph 4:22, & Col 3:9]

It is also that to which John the Baptist refers here:

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

Last edited by Amadeus : 01-10-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Thanks. I have never heard a sermon in a church telling of the Great Principle. A few months ago I was in a church, a passage was read which contained the verse, but it was glossed over; the sermon was of another topic.

I have watched a lot Christian television (TBN) and only once did one try to tackle it. On an "Ask the Pastor" show, one said it still applied to a few, missionaries who risk their lives.
There's truth to what you said. These verses were quoted probably more in Catholic churches. I believe most Catholic priests and nuns sacrificed their lives for Catholic beliefs .

Other churches who are cultic, use similar pressure but not to follow Jesus and truth but to follow their own leaders and their own teachings.

ped
Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Sid

Are the verses in question, per se, 'The great principal of Jesus' just because some guy said so?
According to Mark Jesus also said
"Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life"
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrank View Post
I'm certain that all of us can't get out of our minds certain statements made by others on this website.For me the statement "my family has grown so much I need to buy a new van" is what I keep thinking about.Now let's compare it to a Christian statement:Matt Ch 16, v.24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

What do you want to do with your life is what it comes down to;dedicate your life to serving God or fill your life with idolatry by serving a false goddess who demands sacrificial gifts of more and more vans from you.
You are so misogynistic. Women are not "false goddesses," they are persons made in the image of God, and together, a woman and her husband are heirs together of eternal life (you know, those other parts of the bible you ignore). Your perpetual advocacy that men abandon their families is evil.