Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Should people rest on Fri, Sat, or Sun

Old 12-09-2011, 03:48 PM
followj

Default Should people rest on Fri, Sat, or Sun

Muslims think Friday is the day to meet and worship. Jews say Saturday, and they have very elaborate rules to abide by in Israel; to keep the day of rest. Most Christians go to church on Sunday, but some are not too concerned about the resting part.
--
---Gen. 2:2, And on the seventh day, God finished his work which he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done. So God blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all his work which he had done in creation.
--
Exodus 31:15, Six days shall work be done, but the seventh is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall be put to death. (No wonder the Jews were upset when they thought that Jesus violated this law.)
--
What did Jesus have to say about this? Mark 2:27-28, And he said to them, "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath; so the Son of man is Lord of the sabbath." (Jesus claimed he could do anything with the sabbath that he wanted to.)
-
John 5:16-17, And this is why the Jews persecuted Jesus, because he did this on the sabbath. But Jesus answered them, "My father is working still, and I am working."
--
Jesus just said that the Father never rested since the creation. Moses didn't get it quite right.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Should people rest on Fri, Sat, or Sun

The Sabbath is NOT day of rest except in the minds of those who have no chance of making it to heaven where the worship activities go 24/7 according to the Book of Revelation.

All Christians are required to keep the Ten Commandments,especially the only one that begins with the word "remember".

Exodus 20:8

New King James Version

8 Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it HOLY.

These verses best express Jesus' teachings on the Sabbath which do Not violate the Ten Commandment mandate:

Luke 6:9-10

Contemporary English Version

9Then Jesus asked, "On the Sabbath should we do good deeds or evil deeds? Should we save someone's life or destroy it?"

10After he had looked around at everyone, he told the man, "Stretch out your hand." He did, and his bad hand became completely well.

The Christian faith has not been designed to create success or find pleasure in or even tolerate this world but rather to OVERCOME it!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:48 AM

John 5:8-18

8Jesus said to him, “Get up, pick up your pallet and walk.” 9Immediately the man became well, and picked up his pallet and began to walk.
Now it was the Sabbath on that day. 10So the Jews were saying to the man who was cured, “It is the Sabbath, and it is not permissible for you to carry your pallet.” 11But he answered them, “He who made me well was the one who said to me, ‘Pick up your pallet and walk.’” 12They asked him, “Who is the man who said to you, ‘Pick up your pallet and walk’?” 13But the man who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had slipped away while there was a crowd in that place. 14Afterward Jesus found him in the temple and said to him, “Behold, you have become well; do not sin anymore, so that nothing worse happens to you.” 15The man went away, and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well. 16For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because He was doing these things on the Sabbath. 17But He answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working.”

18For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

God made the sabbath for Man, because we were designed to rest both our bodies and minds regularly.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.

Last edited by Soulheart3 : 12-10-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Moses

The Sabbath was more then rest , it was a day for solemn community and at the time when special presence was in Israel, when God visit them and his name was in the Tabernacle and later the Temple the community of Israel special rules that YHWH God commanded them via Moses.

According to the Torah (or Mosaic Law), these are the offenses which may merit the death penalty in a Jewish major court of 23 judges.
According to written Law given and dictated by YHWH God, to desecrate shabbat is a capital offense (Exodus 31:15). All work was prohibited during shabbat, even minor tasks, such as "gathering sticks" (Numbers 15:32-36).

Anyone familiar with the Law knew this prohibition. What wasn't clear is at what instances it was OK to do some things and it wouldn't be considered desecrating the Sabbath? Jesus explained that it is good to do Good on Sabbath. Its OK to save a sheep that is fall in to a hole.

The same was with divorce, The law allowed a man to give his wife divorce and send her away.
The confusion was about when this can be done, for anything? Man didn't like the soup he can divorce his wife.
Jesus made the Sabbath Law and divorce law full. By explaining that Its OK to do Good on Sabbath and only if there was an adultery a man can divorce his wife.

Many of us are blessed today that we can keep the Sabbath and the next day also to keep and celebrate the Resurrection day. Majority of Christians today keep their Sabbath on the Resurrection Day. The cycle of 6 working days and the seventh rest day is maintained and also Resurrection of our Lord is celebrated on the same day.

I personally keep both days The Hebrew Torah Sabbath and the next day the Resurrection day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
I think that my Christian brethren who combined and only keep the Resurrection day (what is called by pagans Sunday - A day of sun and we are not to worship sun nor other stars) are also fulfilling the remember to keep the Sabbath.

Last edited by Moses : 12-10-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
followj

As Soulheart3 was nice enough to print the passage, Jesus ordered the man to pick up his pallet, this was WORK. (John 5:8)
--
---Pointed out earlier, Jesus said, "My father is working still, and I am working."
Thus, the Father has never stopped working.
---
---I know some farmers who will not plant, harvest, or spray weeds on Sunday. But do the crops in the field stop growing on Sunday? Do the animals they raise stop gaining weight? (the animals still eat, and they milk the cows or goats on Sunday)
--
A factory worker who refuses to work on Sunday (to keep the day of rest), (for double-time pay) is at a definite disadvantage to the farmer.
-
What then is the God's true rest? Jesus tells us in Matt 11:28-30:
--
"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am lowly and gentle in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Last edited by followj : 12-10-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: punc marks
Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Suspended for Review

Oh God I wish there was some rest.
Even in death do we rest in peace.
When the tears are wiped away?

To just sleep.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM
followj

Quote:
Originally Posted by followj View Post
Muslims think Friday is the day to meet and worship. Jews say Saturday, and they have very elaborate rules to abide by in Israel; to keep the day of rest. Most Christians go to church on Sunday, but some are not too concerned about the resting part.
--
---Gen. 2:2, And on the seventh day, God finished his work which he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done. So God blessed the seventh day, and hallowed it, because on it God rested from all his work which he had done in creation.
--
Exodus 31:15, Six days shall work be done, but the seventh is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord; whoever does any work on the sabbath day shall be put to death. (No wonder the Jews were upset when they thought that Jesus violated this law.)
--
What did Jesus have to say about this? Mark 2:27-28, And he said to them, "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath; so the Son of man is Lord of the sabbath." (Jesus claimed he could do anything with the sabbath that he wanted to.)
-
John 5:16-17, And this is why the Jews persecuted Jesus, because he did this on the sabbath. But Jesus answered them, "My father is working still, and I am working."
--
Jesus just said that the Father never rested since the creation. Moses didn't get it quite right.
---------------------------------------------------------
As a follow up, I was watching on TV, "Ask the Pastor" on Jan 9, 2012; none of the 4 or 5 pastors (No Catholics or Orthodox on the show) mentioned what Jesus had to say about the Sabbath rest. They did not seem concerned which day of the week was taken as a day of rest.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by followj View Post
--
--
-
--
Maybe there is no rest because the 6th day isn't finished yet! This is not a definite answer to your question, but rather something for you to consider.

We shouldn't be so quick to decide that the writer was wrong. Remember that Jesus did not write the 4 gospels. If you believe that OT writers were wrong, why wouldn't you believe that the writers of the 4 gospels were wrong? They were all men.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Giuliano

Why not give up your job and rest all seven days?

Last edited by Giuliano : 01-11-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Sid

The "Rest that remaineth unto the people of God" is a spiritual 24/7 rest.
And in that one of the 7 will fall on the old 'Sabbath', the 4th commandment is not only fulfilled, but is lifted to the new and higher spiritual level identified by Christ in his Sermon on the Mount...."Ye have heard that it hath been said, BUT I SAY UNTO YOU"
"Except you righteousness shall EXCEED that of the Scribes and the Pharisees ......."
Stay with the Old Covenant if you must.....but learn what it is that you're missing.
God physically rested on the seventh day after the completion of his work of creation.
Under God's New Covenant the "Rest that remaineth unto the people of God" commemorates Christ's completion of his work of RE-CREATION.
Setting aside times for "gathering together in his name" is a totally separate matter. (although there is reason for choosing the eighth day, and it's signified in the eighth side of ancient church fonts)
How on earth this can get so confused beats me.