Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Can God get bigger?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Giuliano

Default Can God get bigger?

There are a few people close where I live who have signs on their property with messages they change every month or so. The signs look neat and painted carefully. You can tell they put effort into it. Not only is it nice to see how much effort they put into it, the messages are also pleasing.

Yesterday I was driving past a farm which has these signs. I was so struck by the message on one, I couldn't tell you what was on the other side. It was a reference to Psalm 69 I would guess -- the whole verse wasn't quoted:

Psalm 69:30 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with thanksgiving.

How was that possible? God is what He is, no? Could people make Him bigger? It had to be right, because Mary also had said, "My soul doth magnify the Lord," but what did it mean?

Then I found another passage in which God says He will magnify Himself.

Ezekiel 38:23 Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the LORD.

So is God growing? I decided in a way He is although in another way it doesn't seem possible.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Can God get bigger?

Does an object in a magnifying glass really get bigger? Or does it just appear to be bigger and easier to understand?
Can you begin to comprehend how big Father is now?
How would you even know if He got bigger. The best we can hope for is to understand Him better.
Matthew 23:12:
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 AM

I guess I have always seen that magnifying was basically worshiping. When you worship something, you make it seem bigger than what we can comprehend. If we worship wealth, we believe that it can solve all our problems. If we worship Baal, we believe he is capable of doing amazing other worldly deeds beyond our ability and power. But if we worship and magnify the Lord, He IS worthy of all honor and glory. We make Him bigger in our minds than what we can comprehend, and He indeed is bigger than what we can comprehend, so I would assume that is how we magnify our Lord... not in the physical sense, but in our own minds.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Giuliano

The more I thought about it, the more Mary seemed the key to me.

By bringing Jesus, the first among many brethren, into the world, she was increasing the "Body of Christ." If God is not in us, we've shut Him out. He allows us to do that. That is a "space" He is not fully in. But if we allow Him in, to fill us, His "Body" is larger.

God in absolute spiritual terms of course cannot be seen or get larger; but the ways in which He is made manifest does become larger. Does that make any sense?

Your idea, Soulheart, made me think about Solomon. What about expanding our own ideas about God? It may be more than in our minds alone. If we can imagine God filling places that need filling, while realizing God is bigger than anything we can imagine, that is a prayer for Him to enter and fill them.

So I think it was that way when Solomon dedicated the Temple. It wasn't "God" who filled the Temple since even the Heaven of Heavens cannot contain Him; but the glory of God filled it -- in a way it hadn't before -- in a way men could experience.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
I guess I have always seen that magnifying was basically worshiping. When you worship something, you make it seem bigger than what we can comprehend. If we worship wealth, we believe that it can solve all our problems. If we worship Baal, we believe he is capable of doing amazing other worldly deeds beyond our ability and power. But if we worship and magnify the Lord, He IS worthy of all honor and glory. We make Him bigger in our minds than what we can comprehend, and He indeed is bigger than what we can comprehend, so I would assume that is how we magnify our Lord... not in the physical sense, but in our own minds.
By your definition "worship and magnify" would be redundit.
Wouldn't worship and make known, make more sense?
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.

Last edited by thelowlyfisherman : 06-08-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Knight of the Forum

I don't think their were any magnifying glasses in the time of Mary or Ezekiel.
I wonder what those Hebrew words translated to the english "magnify" is.
Here is the passage from Ezekiel 38:23:
Open Source Morphological Hebrew Bible; Wesminister Leningrad Codex :
והתגדלתי 1431 והתקדשׁתי 6942 ונודעתי 3045 לעיני 5869 גוים 1471 רבים 7227 וידעו 3045 כי 3588 ־אני 0589 יהוה 3068 ׃ ס
KJV with Strong's numbers:
Thus will I magnify 01431 myself, and sanctify 06942 myself; and I will be known 03045 in the eyes 05869 of many 07227 nations 01471 , and they shall know 03045 that I am the LORD 03068 .

H 1431 is the root - gaw dal or gimel dalet lamed (3 letters), but included in the original word is - vav hey tet gimel dalet lamed tet yod (8 letters).
The root is defined: to promote, to advance, to bring up, to lift up

The first mention of magnify in the KJV is Joshua 3:7, checking the OSMHB we get:
ויאמר 0559 יהוה 3068 אל 0413 ־יהושׁע 3091 היום 3117 הזה 2088 אחל 2490 גדלך 1431 בעיני 5869 כל 3605 ־ישׂראל 3478 אשׁר 0834 ידעון 3045 כי 3588 כאשׁר 0834 הייתי 1961 עם 5973 ־משׁה 4872 אהיה 1961 עמך 5973

This H 1431 only uses 3 letters, but in Joshua is 4 letters. The word in Ezekiel may have a different meaning then the word in Joshua.

Psalm 69:31
אהללה 1984 שׁם 8034 ־אלהים 0430 בשׁיר 7892 ואגדלנו 1431 בתודה 8426

As we can see there are three different words each referenced by Strong's as "Magnify", and so the translations must require further clarification to obtain a better understanding of the true meanings.

I used the Xiphos Bible Program with Darby, JPS, KJV/Strong's numbers, YLT and OSMHB/Strong's numbers bible texts for reference.
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Dwaine

If an olympic track star wins A gold medal,and he thanks God for his victory,He has just magnified God,He letting everyone know God gave him his athletic ability.King David (he wrote the psalms)was a talented musician,as well a warrior,and he would write songs thanking God for his victories.This is what it means to magnify God.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Giuliano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaine View Post
If an olympic track star wins A gold medal,and he thanks God for his victory,He has just magnified God,He letting everyone know God gave him his athletic ability.King David (he wrote the psalms)was a talented musician,as well a warrior,and he would write songs thanking God for his victories.This is what it means to magnify God.
God already gave him that athletic power in your example. The track star talking about didn't give God that power after the fact. He was just talking about it, acknowledging a fact.

I would say that if he led others to believe in God's Power, so that they allowed God to manifest in their lives, that would be increasing God's Power on earth. Increasing the Kingdom of God.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelowlyfisherman View Post
By your definition "worship and magnify" would be redundit.
Wouldn't worship and make known, make more sense?
I was purposely redundint. Wouldnt a kind reply be more godly than nitpicking?
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
I was purposely redundint. Wouldnt a kind reply be more godly than nitpicking?
I'm sorry you took it that way, and yeah, I guess it could be considered nitpicking, although, I sincerely was trying to edify.
Please, forgive me.