Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Salvation Is Not Asking Jesus Into One's Heart.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 PM
JoReba

Default Salvation Is Not Asking Jesus Into One's Heart.

There is no Scripture to demonstrate anyone "Asking Jesus into their heart" to become saved. Neither Jesus nor His Apostles operated that way when giving the Gospel.

The closest reference is a misunderstood one in Revelations 3:20, where Jesus speaks hyperboli about "coming in" through an open door to "sup" with a person. But the context is entirely about an existing apostate Church of believers, not about any unbelievers. As well, there is no reference to Jesus "knocking" on one's heart symbolized by a "door." It is a large assumption to believe that is what the passage is saying.

This idea of "Asking Jesus into our heart" is a tragic and deceptive notion. It places unscriptural power within the fickle will of man. God is the one with the game plan for salvation. We are indeed to "receive Jesus", but it is not to be as we choose to make it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: Salvation Is Not Asking Jesus Into One's Heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoReba View Post
There is no Scripture to demonstrate anyone "Asking Jesus into their heart" to become saved. Neither Jesus nor His Apostles operated that way when giving the Gospel.

The closest reference is a misunderstood one in Revelations 3:20, where Jesus speaks hyperboli about "coming in" through an open door to "sup" with a person. But the context is entirely about an existing apostate Church of believers, not about any unbelievers. As well, there is no reference to Jesus "knocking" on one's heart symbolized by a "door." It is a large assumption to believe that is what the passage is saying.

This idea of "Asking Jesus into our heart" is a tragic and deceptive notion. It places unscriptural power within the fickle will of man. God is the one with the game plan for salvation. We are indeed to "receive Jesus", but it is not to be as we choose to make it.
I tend to believe we are to seek to go into the heart of Jesus with our heart, our entire being:

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth

23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Giuliano

Quote:

We are told however that the Word can be in our hearts.

Deuteronomy 30:14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Psalm 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Luke 8:15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Jesus also speaks of the "seed" being sown in the heart:

Matthew 13:19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

That is right too. The seed of immortality is sown in the heart. If it is a heart of soft flesh, it can grow. If the heart is stony, it will perish.

20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

I don't usually speak of "receiving Jesus in the heart," but I see no great problem with it. I'd prefer people speak of receiving his words into their hearts, but it's not something I'd pick a brawl over since if you accept Jesus, you must accept and hear his words. If you accept and hear hear his words, you accept him.

Last edited by Giuliano : 01-28-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:

Agreed. How many think they have been instantly saved by a water baptism ritual, recitation of a sinners prayer or a stage salvation event Benny Hinn style and never read the Gospels or repent of sins?

Zillions.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:54 AM

Lightbulb Salvation Does Not Occur By Asking Jesus Into One's Heart.

I'm glad we're finally getting this straightened out;" It places unscriptural power within the fickle will of man. God is the one with the game plan for salvation. We are indeed to 'receive Jesus', but it is not to be as we choose to make it."

Salvation occurs only when God confirms our salvation by sending His Holy Spirit to dwell within us.

John 3:3-7 (New King James Version)

3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Holy Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’

Now you know why I cringe every time I hear Joel Osteen say after he repeats his 10 word super-saver prayer,"If you repeated that prayer,we believe that you are born again!"

I have a terrific story that relates to the "fickle will of man" that is referenced above.The former national Human Resource Director for the Bank of America in the nation of India was a family friend.He once told me that his bank preferred to hire Hindu employees rather than Christians.When I asked why he said that a high percentage of Indian Christians are unstable with poor attendance records and filled with uncertainty and doubts about the validity of their faith that keeps them swinging back and forth between Hinduism and Christianity,a problem that creates anxiety and concentration problems on the job.

The Christian faith has not been designed to create success or find pleasure in or even tolerate this world but rather to OVERCOME it!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Josiah

Quote:

I think this is an expression in some forms of Evangelicalism that merely means to embrace Christ, to place faith in Him as our Savior. While SOME that use this expression are "free will" in their soteriology (and I might not fully agree with that), I DO agree that we are justified by grace THROUGH FAITH in Christ - which is the point of the expression, as I've understood it (not being Evangelical). The expression itself may not be found verbatim in Scripture, the sometimes connected "free will" theology may or may not be biblical, but I don't find the thought in the expression itself to be unbiblical. Faith in Christ DOES matter, IMO.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Knight of the Forum

"For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods." Matt 25:14

"Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you." John 15:16

"For many are called, but few are chosen.: Matt 22:14

"Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing." Matt 24:45-46

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful." Rev 17:14
Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 PM
godsvoice

Quote:

You're right. God made all the decisions when he planned everything before creation. He chose the flesh of the prophets, saints and Jesus to use for his own purpose to reveal his knowledge and speak for him. Everyone else he created will be saved from their flesh according to the law. The penalty of sin is death so when the flesh of a man dies, he has paid his penalty in full and his soul remains in God.

At the end of this age, all flesh will have perished and this end will happen very soon. Then the earth will change into a better earth with lots more room for God's living creation and their new immortal bodies. God has been in control for eternity so what you see today was planned that way a long time before creation.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Knight of the Forum

1 Corrinthians 6:19
What? know ye not that your body is the temple

John 2:19-21
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

1 Samuel 3:3-6
3 And before the lamp of God went out in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep;

4 That the LORD called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.

5 And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down.

6 And the LORD called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me.

We have the pattern in Samuel of God calling for us within the Temple.

If our bodies are the temple isn't that where God will meet us, in the temple?
If we don't enter into the Temple then how will we hear when God calls?

The heart is within the body, the body is the Temple. We could assume that God will meet us in the heart.

Before entering into the Temple, isn't their the requirement for preperation and purification?
When he calls, will we answer, "Here am I?"
Let me see in my brother that I see in Him whom I worship.

John 7:19
Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law?

Remember, always, the Angels wish...Selah!

Last edited by Lemuel : 02-05-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:

So it's faith and works? Sounds very Catholic to me. Be careful who you say that around, you might get in trouble.