Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Jesus Never Chatted.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:12 PM
JoReba

Default Jesus Never Chatted.

Proverbs 10:19 KJV, "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin; but he that refraineth his lips is wise."

Matthew 12:36 KJV, "I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgement."

Titus 2:2-6 specifies "young men," "old men," "young women," and "older women" are to be sober.

Webster's Dictionary, "chat n. light, informal talk"

Jesus is never shown in Scripture to have spoken extra words to anyone, in that He always spoke concisely, briefly upon any particular topic, and was germane only to the agenda of the Father.

Jesus never asked anyone, "How do you feel about (this)", He never greeted anyone, He never said, "Good bye" to anyone, He never asked for anyone's intuitive opinion about anything, and He never had any sort of a discussion as people today typically do when "sharing" and "interacting." He never sympathized with anyone for the reason of making excuses for their ignorance or sins. He never thanked anyone except His Father. He responded axiomatically to all questions and statements from people, that is, He directly informed them of Spiritual Truth and of their errors when compared to God's standards for His people. He never spoke or acted merely for the sake of entertainment.

Should the information within Scripture be used to give us the correct understanding of Him, or should we use our personal expectations and our current cultural norms of nice social behavior to imagine what Jesus "was like?"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Giuliano

Default Re: Jesus Never Chatted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoReba View Post
Should the information within Scripture be used to give us the correct understanding of Him, or should we use our personal expectations and our current cultural norms of nice social behavior to imagine what Jesus "was like?"
Scripture contains only those things which are profitable for doctrine.

What did Jesus eat for breakfast? Did he go to the bathroom? These are things I assume happened; but there is not a spiritual lesson in them.

How did he treat the woman who anointed his feet? What did he say about the host?

What is small talk? Sometimes it's just a way of showing others we care about them; and if they want to tell us about Aunt Sally, we want to hear about her.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Suspended for Review

This is something that has always puzzled me. People are constantly discussing what Jesus meant by this, why he said that etc.

In another recent thread, someone quotes Luke who is quoting Jesus and the words that Luke quotes were taken as being verbatim, despite the fact that they were written decades after the event, from at the very least second hand information. Notwithstanding that they have been translated from Aramaic to Greek to Latin to English.

This would be like me translating into English, something that someone told me in French from a German translation of something that Brezhnev might have once said in 1960. And I would have the express intention of making him look good.

Would you treat that as gospel (pun intended)?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Josiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post

What did Jesus eat for breakfast? Did he go to the bathroom? These are things I assume happened; but there is not a spiritual lesson in them.

How did he treat the woman who anointed his feet? What did he say about the host?

What is small talk? Sometimes it's just a way of showing others we care about them; and if they want to tell us about Aunt Sally, we want to hear about her.
I tend to agree....

Scripture contains but a TINY,TINY percentage of what Jesus said during His approx. 30 years on this earth. I DO think His TEACHINGS are recorded for us (just an article of faith for me) but obviously not everything he ever said.

People are, by nature, social. I LOVE to talk with people. I tend to do better one-on-one (not cuz I'm shy, really - I just can focus better that way), but I can do the whole group thing. And I agree - SOME of this is just connecting, caring. And yes - sometimes it NEEDS to be light, especially as we are gaining trust and emotionally "feeling" each other out. Yes, sometimes it never goes beyond that. There are people at work and in my apartment complex that I know (say, by name) but I've never connected with them on any level - so it's not surprising the conversations are "light" or limited to business.

I think those Scriptures are addressing other issues.

Thank you!

Just MY perspective...

Pax

- Josiah

Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
This is something that has always puzzled me. People are constantly discussing what Jesus meant by this, why he said that etc.

In another recent thread, someone quotes Luke who is quoting Jesus and the words that Luke quotes were taken as being verbatim, despite the fact that they were written decades after the event, from at the very least second hand information. Notwithstanding that they have been translated from Aramaic to Greek to Latin to English.

This would be like me translating into English, something that someone told me in French from a German translation of something that Brezhnev might have once said in 1960. And I would have the express intention of making him look good.

Would you treat that as gospel (pun intended)?
You are puzzled, Brad, but you do not believe in God so that is certainly to be expected.

If you presume for a minute that God does exist and that He is able to open up the scriptures to a person so that person can understand what God wants the person to understand, then you may begin to not be puzzled.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 PM
JoReba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post

Jesus ate food and went to the Bathroom because those and other activities are indeed essential for the continuance of human life. Chatting and small talk are not essential for life, but are optional.

In case one is interested in knowing what Scripture is to be used for, God has lovingly provided Hebrews 4:12 which states by means of analogy that the Word of God actually tells us what is essential for life, what is optional for life, what is part of our Earthly existence in time, and what is part of our eternal existence. The elective activity of chatting and other humanly promoted social niceties is not demonstrated by Jesus in any narrative of His Words or actions recorded in Scripture. Chatting is therefore not important since it is not, as well, a requirement for human life. Jesus never used small talk to show how He cared for anyone. Citing what "We might do" in that regard bears no merit. Jesus is to be the example.

We need to trust Jesus and His example for guidance, rather than trying to place faith in "What seems nice." Jesus demonstrated multiple examples of blatantly ignoring accepted social norms of His time. I am available as a minister to help those seeking hearts who are uncomfortable or timid in identifying them first hand from Scripture.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Suspended for Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoReba View Post
Proverbs 10:19 KJV, "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin; but he that refraineth his lips is wise."

Matthew 12:36 KJV, "I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgement."

Titus 2:2-6 specifies "young men," "old men," "young women," and "older women" are to be sober.

Webster's Dictionary, "chat n. light, informal talk"

Jesus is never shown in Scripture to have spoken extra words to anyone, in that He always spoke concisely, briefly upon any particular topic, and was germane only to the agenda of the Father.

Jesus never asked anyone, "How do you feel about (this)", He never greeted anyone, He never said, "Good bye" to anyone, He never asked for anyone's intuitive opinion about anything, and He never had any sort of a discussion as people today typically do when "sharing" and "interacting." He never sympathized with anyone for the reason of making excuses for their ignorance or sins. He never thanked anyone except His Father. He responded axiomatically to all questions and statements from people, that is, He directly informed them of Spiritual Truth and of their errors when compared to God's standards for His people. He never spoke or acted merely for the sake of entertainment.

A Prophet Without Honor
53 When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him.

But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.”

58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.

I believe this gives some insight.
Jesus would of grown up as a boy having boy situations and a teenager and his carpentry experiences.
I dare say he would of had experiences like any in those stages in life but handled them more appropriately.
Or his reactions to circumstances were perceived differently by home town inhabitants and family than he presented and how God saw in his heart.
As the case was with the rest of his life.
I dare say he would of been branded due to his family influence in town as well.
Somewhat like we personally experience throughout our own growth when perhaps we feel misunderstood.

40 And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was on him.

46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.
47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.”

49 “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?”[f] 50 But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

51 Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.

Last edited by CinderAsh : 01-27-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
JoReba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
I tend to agree....

Scripture contains but a TINY,TINY percentage of what Jesus said during His approx. 30 years on this earth. I DO think His TEACHINGS are recorded for us (just an article of faith for me) but obviously not everything he ever said.

People are, by nature, social. I LOVE to talk with people. I tend to do better one-on-one (not cuz I'm shy, really - I just can focus better that way), but I can do the whole group thing. And I agree - SOME of this is just connecting, caring. And yes - sometimes it NEEDS to be light, especially as we are gaining trust and emotionally "feeling" each other out. Yes, sometimes it never goes beyond that. There are people at work and in my apartment complex that I know (say, by name) but I've never connected with them on any level - so it's not surprising the conversations are "light" or limited to business.

I think those Scriptures are addressing other issues.

Thank you!

Just MY perspective...

Pax

- Josiah

Should followers of Jesus place preemptive value upon what you referred to above:

1.) "People?"
2.) "Nature?"
3.) Your personal preferences, i.e. "I LOVE to talk," "I tend to do better ...," "I can do ..."?
4.) "Emotionally feeling each other out ..."?
5.) Your level of "surprise?"

Or, should followers of Jesus use His example of how to talk and act?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM
JoReba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
You are puzzled, Brad, but you do not believe in God so that is certainly to be expected.

If you presume for a minute that God does exist and that He is able to open up the scriptures to a person so that person can understand what God wants the person to understand, then you may begin to not be puzzled.
There is no such thing as any valid "individual interpretation" of Scripture. That is not demonstrated in Scripture.

If you disagree, then show where Scripture demonstrates it being done.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 PM
JoReba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post
A Prophet Without Honor
53 When Jesus had finished these parables, he moved on from there. 54 Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked. 55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas? 56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?” 57 And they took offense at him.

But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town and in his own home.”

58 And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.

I believe this gives some insight.
Jesus would of grown up as a boy having boy situations and a teenager and his carpentry experiences.
I dare say he would of had experiences like any in those stages in life but handled them more appropriately.
Or his reactions to circumstances were perceived differently by home town inhabitants and family than he presented and how God saw in his heart.
As the case was with the rest of his life.
I dare say he would of been branded due to his family influence in town as well.
Somewhat like we personally experience throughout our own growth when perhaps we feel misunderstood.

40 And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was on him.

47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.”

49 “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?”[f] 50 But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

51 Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. 52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.
In your reply above, are you using your own life to supposedly "understand" Jesus, what He did do, and what He did not do?