Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > 500,000 brave injuries to touch Black Nazarene - Idol worship?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Moses

Default 500,000 brave injuries to touch Black Nazarene - Idol worship?

1.5M brave injuries to touch Black Nazarene - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos

Idol worship? Image making and worship?

Quote:
MANILA, Philippines—(UPDATE 5) An estimated 1.2 million devotees attended the morning Mass at the Quirino Grandstand, but only 500,000 actually joined the procession of the Black Nazarene image to the Quiapo church, Inspector Alex Francisco, officer-in-charge of the Manila Police District Tactical Operations Center, said. The procession attempted to push off at 8 a.m. but progress was sluggish due to the thick crowd. Men clambered up the 'carroza' (float) of the Black Nazarene image as devotees flocked to it to wipe towels...

Men clambered up the “carroza” (float) of the Black Nazarene image as devotees flocked to it to wipe towels emblazoned with a dark Jesus Christ image. The men aboard the float would catch towels being flung up, wipe them on the image, and throw the “blessed” towels back to their owners. The Black Nazarene image is believed by many to be miraculous.

Groups of devotees also brought along their own smaller Black Nazarene floats and images. An hour after the Mass, the thick procession was just streaming out of the park and into Katigbak Drive. Bystanders waved white handkerchiefs in the air and shouted “Viva! Viva!” as the carroza neared them.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Giuliano

Default Re: 500,000 brave injuries to touch Black Nazarene - Idol worship?

They are honoring Jesus. I would not call it idol worship then. If they thought the image was a god, that would be idolatry since they were not believing in Christ.

Titus 1:15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: 500,000 brave injuries to touch Black Nazarene - Idol worship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I am from the Philippines, I am aware of this practice. Practices similar or related to this is practiced in and around the country. I heard the Catholic church ( some priests) are against or do not approve of this, but are helpless as far as teaching some people to not practice it.

This practice is open for debate. Personally I do not think is right. But it is up to the Lord.

ped