Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > The Coming Forth of the Book of Mormon

Old 10-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default The Coming Forth of the Book of Mormon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelowlyfisherman View Post
Its been awhile since I heard the story. How did Joseph Smith receive the Book of Mormon, again? I remember that it has something to do with angels in upstate New York. I've got tablets on the brain, but, that doesn't seem right.
I'm sure there are probably people who've never heard it.
Please tell it. If for no other reason than to increase our understanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenic101 View Post
I'd love too, but not tonight and not by hijacking this thread. The official Church answer is here for now. Tomorrow night I may start a thread about it...have to decide how 'sincere' a discussion would be possible, and how available I think I might be to respond to posts.
At 3:30 am yesterday morning I didn't want to type out the whole story behind the Book of Mormon, and after thinking about it more today, I've decided I still don't. I don't know that I could do more than give a brief synapses without running on forever. I'm still not sure how much time I'll have this weekend to be online and replying, but I'm always happy to discuss the topic.

So instead of retelling the events, I'll just toss out links to two sources that tell it better than I could. For Lemuel's benefit, I'll point out here, that I believe these accounts to be true and that by providing these links in response to a direct question, I am demonstrating my FAITH in the reality of the accounts.

The first is the Joseph Smith History which can be found in the Pearl of Great Price.

The second, easier to read and more informative account is on historyofmormonism,com

Both links start with leading up to the First Vision which I feel is necessary background to Joseph Smith receiving the plates. (The second site has a link to the next page that covers the actual 'coming forth'.)

*note that despite my phrasing which may imply two different accounts...they are the same, only told differently. (and this is why I don't tell it myself )
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: The Coming Forth of the Book of Mormon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenic101 View Post
At 3:30 am yesterday morning I didn't want to type out the whole story behind the Book of Mormon, and after thinking about it more today, I've decided I still don't. I don't know that I could do more than give a brief synapses without running on forever. I'm still not sure how much time I'll have this weekend to be online and replying, but I'm always happy to discuss the topic.

So instead of retelling the events, I'll just toss out links to two sources that tell it better than I could. For Lemuel's benefit, I'll point out here, that I believe these accounts to be true and that by providing these links in response to a direct question, I am demonstrating my FAITH in the reality of the accounts.

The first is the Joseph Smith History which can be found in the Pearl of Great Price.

The second, easier to read and more informative account is on historyofmormonism,com

Both links start with leading up to the First Vision which I feel is necessary background to Joseph Smith receiving the plates. (The second site has a link to the next page that covers the actual 'coming forth'.)

*note that despite my phrasing which may imply two different accounts...they are the same, only told differently. (and this is why I don't tell it myself )
Thank you for sharing this with us. I pray that this leads to understanding and helps us (me) to respond to LDS points from a more illuminated view, even in those areas where we don't agree.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Here's something I found on youtube that may explain Mormonism:

Last edited by Mark : 10-05-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Knight of the Forum

[quote=Mark;95046]Here's something I found on youtube that may explain Mormonism:

Wow! I did not know all of that.
Incredibly sad.

Last edited by Mark : 10-05-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Incredibly sad.
It's also incredibly inaccurate.

What is incredibly sad, is that anyone would find the cartoon credible. There is not a single accurate claim made in either the cartoon or the movie it came from.

The cartoon is an excerpt from the 1982 anti-Mormon film The God Makers. The cartoon takes elements of certain LDS beliefs and distorts them in an attempt to make them appear ridiculous. In some cases, the cartoon takes statements made by early church leaders and attempts to portray them as official church doctrine. For every point made, the cartoon attempts to convey its points using crude, offensive and mocking terms in order to shock the viewer.

The non-denomination National Council of Christians and Jews wrote:
Quote:
The film does not - in our opinion - fairly portray the Mormon Church, Mormon history, or Mormon belief. It makes extensive use of "half-truth," faulty generalizations, erroneous interpretations, and sensationalism. It is not reflective of the genuine spirit of the Mormon faith.

We find particularly offensive the emphasis in the film that Mormonism is some sort of subversive plot - a danger to the community, a threat to the institution of marriage, and is destructive to the mental health of teenagers. All of our experience with our Mormon neighbors provides eloquent refutation of these charges.

We are of the opinion that The Godmakers relies heavily on appeals to fear, prejudice and other less worthy human emotions. We believe that continued use of this film poses genuine danger to the climate of good will and harmony which currently exists between…neighbors of differing faiths. It appears to us to be a basically unfair and untruthful presentation of what Mormons really believe and practice.

— The National Council of Christians and Jews
Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Knight of the Forum

Here are some videos that aren't motivated by hate and ignorance and are actually relevant to the topic.

A cartoon version for those with short attention spans. (oh look, it says "banned cartoon", that means it must be true apparently)

And the hymn "Joseph Smith's First Prayer"
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Administrator

From "Rose Publishing" - a pamphlet entitled "Christianity, Cults & Religion" (regarding Mormonism):

Question: Who is God?

Answer:
"God the Father was once a man, but "progressed" to godhood. He has a physical body, as does his wife (Heavenly Mother). No Trinity. Father, Son and Host Ghost are three separate gods. Worthy men may one day become gods themselves.

*As far as I'm concerned, polytheism is not Christianity.

Question: Who is Jesus

Answer:
"Jesus is a separate God from the Father (Elohim). He was created as a spirit child by the Father and Mother in Heaven, and is the "elder brother" of all men and spirit beings. His body was created through sexual union between Elohim and Mary. Jesus was married. His death on the cross does not provide full atonement for all sin , but does provide everyone with resurrection."
Old 10-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Knight of the Forum

I was struck by the inherent racism. I wondered why I've never seen a black Morman. Now I know.
How, exactly are Native Americans seen by the "Prophet", pray tell?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Knight of the Forum

[quote=Mark;95046]Here's something I found on youtube that may explain Mormonism:

So, how many of the "facts" in this video did you personally verify before you posted it Mark?

I take it you think that it's the responsibility of the resident LDS to sort it all out for everyone.

Last edited by Mark : 10-05-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Incredibly sad.
Who said that the video tells the truth? Do you really "know" all of that now, or have you just swallowed what the producers of the video put into your mouth? (speaking metaphorically)

I suppose those who have watched "The Da Vinci Code" could likewise say, "Wow! I didn't know all of that." After all, if someone goes to the trouble of producing a movie or a video about something, it must be true... right?