Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > A Study/focus on Acts 21:20-21

Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM

Default A Study/focus on Acts 21:20-21

A Study/focus on Acts 21:20-21:

20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord. And they said to him, "You see, brother (Paul), how many myriads of Jews there are who have believed, and they are all zealous for the law;

***verse 20: The "BELIEVERS" in Jesus "WERE ZEALOUS FOR THE LAW." That can only mean they still believed in keeping the Law.

21 "but they (the Jewish believers) have been informed about you that you teach all the JEWS who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs.

***verse 21, Point 1: The above is NOT talking about Jewish unbelievers. That would be an assumption. The words "but they" in Acts 21, verse 21 is still talking about the Jewish believers in verse 20. I believe, since it is in the same context, it was the believing Jews that were being talked about.

***verse 21, Point 2: It can easily be seen that what was upsetting the Jewish "believers" is that Paul was teaching the Jews (out in the Gentile world) that they do not have to be circumcised or follow the Law of Moses. Please notice that this is not the same problem as in Acts 15 about what the Gentiles had to do. ---- What was Paul teaching that upset the Jews?

***verse 21, Point 3: The only conclusion I can make, is that James and the Elders in Jerusalem "WERE NOT" teaching the same gospel of God's grace that Paul was teaching. If they were, they, James and the Elders, would have been accused of teaching the same thing Paul was teaching and it would be upsetting those same Jews.

***Did Paul really teach that the Jews should forsake the Law of Moses? YES HE DID!!!

Galatians 5:3-6
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.
NKJV

***My comment: Have you really considered the implications of what the Jewish believers were being taught by James and the elders? ---- If the Jewish believers got upset by Paul teaching """Jews""" (out in the Gentile world) that they did not have to be circumcised or follow the Law of Moses, then what “”were”” James and the Elders teaching the Jews in Jerusalem?

***My comment: For those that refuse to open their minds and see the truth as shown in Acts 21, and continue to support the idea that James and the Elders were teaching the same gospel Paul was teaching, I say this; If James and the elders were teaching the same thing that Paul was teaching, the believing Jews in Jerusalem certainly didn’t know about it because they weren’t upset at them. This is so obvious that everyone should be able to see it.

Paul's gospel of God's grace excluded the Law, but, obviously, James and the elders were not teaching this to the Jews in Jerusalem.

The fact remains that if the Jewish believers were being taught the same gospel that Paul was teaching the Jewish BELIEVERS would have known they did not have to be circumcised or follow the Jewish Law.

But we see that James and the elders were not upsetting the believing Jews by teaching salvation by faith, without the works of the Law, therefore I must conclude that the message James and the Elders were teaching was not the same as Paul's. If it were, they would have been subject to the Jew's displeasure as well.

The Plot to Appease the believing Jews:

We also see that the plot to have Paul participate in Jewish rituals was not allowed to be completed by God since it all came to naught. God was not going to let Paul go back under the Law and be a hypocrite.

Acts 21:26-27
26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day, having been purified with them, entered the temple to announce the expiration of the days of purification, at which time an offering should be made for each one of them.
27 And when the seven days were “””almost ended,”” the Jews from Asia, seeing him in the temple, stirred up the whole crowd and laid hands on him,
(NKJ) --------------- almost ended is not is not the same as ended.

Since the Jews rejected the gospel of the Kingdom in which Jesus was to sit on the throne of David, why would anyone want to say we are to be saved under that same gospel? None of the Jewish covenants were made to the Gentiles.

Peter and Paul both preached Jesus. However, Peter preached Jesus after His prophetic revelation, and Paul preached Jesus according to His mystery revelation. Both preached Jesus crucified.

----- However, Peter preached it as a curse, and something to be repented of (Acts 3:13-19)
----- But Paul gloried in the cross (Gal.6:14).

Both Peter and Paul preached Christ resurrected. Both preached salvation by faith, but Peter preached faith plus (+) works ("and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him") (Acts 10:34); James 2:21,22. ------ But Paul preached FAITH ALONE. --- Peter preached "repent and be baptized" (Acts 2:38), where as Paul preached, "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved..." (Acts 16:29).

Peter in the Gospels preached "the kingdom at hand," whereas Paul preached "the gospel of the grace of God," according to the revelation of the mystery "which was kept secret since the world began. Peter's preaching was circumcision - Law, Paul's preaching was un-circumcision - grace (no law); two opposing doctrines, and both commissioned by Jesus. Galatians 2:7 "But contrariwise, when they (the disciples) saw that the gospel of the un-circumcision (grace) was committed unto me as the gospel of the circumcision (law) was unto Peter."

The twelve were commissioned "...to go to all the world..." (Mark 16:15), however in Galatians 2:9 they agreed with Paul that they would stay with the circumcision. Why, when their commission was "to all the world"?

To those that study the scriptures from a dispensational viewpoint, there is a difference in the gospel of the Kingdom, as taught by Jesus and the 12, and what Paul taught. ----
The gospel of the kingdom did not rescind the Law of Moses. It fulfilled it. However the Jews, to whom the covenant was made, rejected Jesus and His gospel of the kingdom. They rejected Him as their king along with His Jewish church.

Some call this the "two gospel" idea. But it is a fact that in Acts 21:20-21 we see James (the brother of Jesus) and the elders, in Jerusalem, are still teaching the gospel of the kingdom, which included the Law of Moses. They are not teaching the gospel of God's grace as Paul taught it. As a matter of fact in James 2:24, James is still saying that we are JUSTIFIED by our works as well as our faith. He is not saying the same thing Paul said; that we are justified (saved) by faith without works.

I write this as food for thought. And for those that say I am insisting that others agree with me I say this, you can believe it or not, your choice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 PM
CatholicCrusader

Default Re: A Study/focus on Acts 21:20-21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBurger View Post
.......Have you really considered the implications of what the Jewish believers were being taught by James and the elders? ---- If the Jewish believers got upset by Paul teaching """Jews""" (out in the Gentile world) that they did not have to be circumcised or follow the Law of Moses, then what “”were”” James and the Elders teaching the Jews in Jerusalem?......
To be honest with you, your pattern of dividing apostle against apostle and parts of the New Testament against other parts of the New Testament - which you have demonstrated in more than one thread - is coming close to stepping outside the bounds of authentic Christianity. For you - a 21st century man in a culture alien to Christ's - to question the correctness of what an actual chosen Apostle of Christ's taught, is really over-stepping.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Knight of the Forum

Isn't it more important to know what we are supposed to believe now and what we are supposed to do now in order to follow Jesus and God?

We know that more than one way was being taught on certain things, but doesn't God now for us really have only One Way to follow?

[The exact Way for one person, of course, is not exactly the same as for another, because each person has different gifts to be received and/or used; and different experiences to be experienced; and different goals, which God has set before them to accomplish.]

Generally, however, wasn't what was expected of any natural child of Israel prior to the veil being torn asunder [Matt 27:51] different than what was expected of a person of similar natural blood lineage after the veil was torn asunder?

Weren't Peter and Paul used to show that difference in the NT? Before Peter and Paul received direction from God on this, weren't even the new Christians of the natural bloodline of Jacob really seeing through a "glass darkly" on these things?

Would we blame James or any of those apostles for being in error before Peter and Paul received clarification from God and shared that clarification with everyone else?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
To be honest with you, your pattern of dividing apostle against apostle and parts of the New Testament against other parts of the New Testament - which you have demonstrated in more than one thread - is coming close to stepping outside the bounds of authentic Christianity. For you - a 21st century man in a culture alien to Christ's - to question the correctness of what an actual chosen Apostle of Christ's taught, is really over-stepping.
It is my belief that there are differing ages (dispensations) in which God worked in differing ways and I am not alone. I am a dispensationalist, and there are many of us, because I study the scriptures from a dispensational viewpoint (not blended but rightly divided).

But it seems some do not believe this. It is NOT my intention to change the minds of others. I only wish to give them the benefit of what I have learned. Authentic Christianity takes all that is recorded in scriptures and blends them together to make a theology. I don’t.

I do “actually” step out of the bounds of what is called authentic Christianity and do not apologize for it. I am certainly not ashamed of it. I glory in it because the authentic Jewish religion persecuted the children of God and the religious, today, are doing the same thing.

You said “to question the correctness of what an actual chosen Apostle of Christ's taught, is really over-stepping” I have never questioned the correctness of an Apostle. That is the charge others make. I only focus on what they actually said. In this study it is extremely obvious that James and the Elder were teaching the message Jesus gave TO THE JEWS and it included the Law of Moses. ------ However, that was not the grace message given to Paul.

The scriptures that everyone says they believe in has Paul saying that the Gospel he taught “WAS HIDDEN IN GOD” and revealed to him by Jesus. How people can say the believe in the word of God while they dismiss what Paul said is beyond me. -- How people can read Acts 21 and not see that the believing Jews were only mad at Paul for what he was teaching and not mad at James and the Elders and still say they were teaching the same message is beyond me.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 PM

Richard Burger..........your courage is showing (courage to think outside of the status quo box).

2 Timothy 1:7
"for God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power and love and self-control".

The traditional teachings about God are very 'comfortable' and allow an abundance of PRIDE and FAME as a scholar of inteligentsia and divine mastery, but some of us seek whom their "SOUL" loves with GENUINE humility as a labor of LOVE (God is LOVE).

Song of Solomon 3:2..."I will seek whom my SOUL loves".

Many "Christians" will at least CLAIM to seek whom their "SOUL" loves, but find the traditional teachings (comfort zone) "sufficient". I have found only my lord's gracious deeds to be sufficient, but The Lord has given us "varied grace" so that we each have a "measure of faith" according to His will/desire (we should care about His WILL/DESIRE instead of COMMANDS).

1 Peter 4:10
"As EACH has received a gift....VARIED GRACE".

Twenty three years ago, I found the true identity of God, and all the buidings and the earthly 'masters of divinity' were a glorious 'escape' from the rigors and hell of life, but I did not find the WARM relationship with whom my SOUL loves. I was taught FEAR and weakness, but I could recognize the lies being taught.....because there was no longer an "I" ("SELF" denial...an IDENTITY CRISIS!). I became basically despondent and depressed (my 'spirits were low'..."poor in spirit"), but I remembered what The Lord said in His sermon....

"BLESSED are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN" (Matthew 5:3).

I wondered how this could be. Then I realized that THE PRESENT INNER KINGDOM is inside of me because I seek whom my SOUL loves.

For 19 and a half years, I had attended the buildings of the church of man (I despondently lost interest early on, but attended 8 times a year for good measure), but I didn't start to understand any of His real truths (objective truth) until I COMPLETELY gave up trying to know Him PERSONALLY by listening to what MAN has to say about Him. I said "Lord, do with me what you will, but I will not simply go to buildings, wear a christian uniform, salute you, and 'march properly',....I want YOU, YOU personally, VERY PERSONALLY...I will accept NOTHING ELSE,...if not, even if I go to hell, my love for you will never die" (I became "CLAY to the potter").

The Lord has shown me that sometimes I can be a spiritual snob (surprise!) and humbled me by showing me the verse about "varied grace", so it's POSSIBLE that maybe I'm being a little too hard on Peter (NAHHH!!) about his deeds...even though he was filled with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 4:8..."Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit...".

There is no indication that this 'money collecting idea' was God's suggestion, it was their own idea. So the hard and fast judgement and penalty on Ananias and his wife was completely Peter's doing (I don't know about you, but I personally am no "Peter").

"laid them at the apostle's FEET" (verse 35 and 37,...self glorification instead of giving the glory to God?).

5:11
"and great FEAR came upon the whole church...".

5:13 "them in HIGH HONOR"

5:15..."that as Peter came by at least his shadow might fall on some of them".

........UHHH. all glory belongs to God...OR PETER?????

So, maybe I am a spiritual snob ("varied grace"), but I certainly would not have decided to kill Ananias and his wife. I would have not allowed FEAR to be used for congregational membership. I would also not allow myself to be glorified.

Paul seems to be THE "TRUE worshipper" (John 4:23) while Peter (denying Christ 3 times, etc.) is the "varied grace" type of devotee (I'm being VERY generous/forgiving, but I personally am NO "Peter").

This was Paul's devotion to Jesus....(sound familiar,...or didn't the church of man teach you this?)...

SAUL persecuted all who were devoted to Jesus (members of "the way").

Acts 9:2............"so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem".

.....(SAUL persecuted "THE WAY").

Acts 18:25........."He had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, [even] though he knew only the baptism of John".

"The way" is not built on the baptism OF JOHN (with H2O), it is built around the baptism/consecration performed by God's spirit (Acts 1:5, John 7:38, 1 John 5:6) so that we "neither thirst" (Revelation 7:16).

Acts 19:9............"but when some were stubborn and disbelieved, speaking evil of the Way before the congregation,...".

Acts 19:23.........."About that time there arose no little stir concerning the Way".

Acts 24:14.........."But this I admit to you, that according to the Way,...".

Acts 24:22.........."But Felix, having a rather accurate knowledge of the Way,...".

Acts 25:3............"asking as a favor to have the man sent to Jerusalem, planning an ambush to kill them...".

...yes, SAUL killed followers of THE WAY, but when SAUL became PAUL, he had a devotion to Jesus because he joined THE WAY,...NOT "Christianity" (Christianity is THE CHURCH OF MAN).

It was for partisan bickering and political acceptance (secularism) that some (including Peter....the one who denied Jesus 3 times and did other worldly deeds,....me myself I am not a "Peter") copped out to the secular name of "Christianity".

Acts 11:26......."and in Antioch the disciples were for the first time called Christians".

John 14:6.........Jesus said................."I am THE WAY...".

Pilate was not known to be a philosopher, but God had him say "What is truth?" (John 18:38). God designed scripture so that we would always have it available whenever there is something HE decides we NEED (otherwise FAITH is sufficient for us) to understand about Him.

Pilate was referring to the worldly SUBJECTIVE/biased truth (as opposed to OBJECTIVE TRUTH)...which tends to 'make everything okay and justified,...such as crucifying the innocent,.... so we can have "peace" in our conscience), but The Lord did not come to bring "PEACE". He came to bring a "SWORD"/division (a SHARP division between good and evil, right and wrong, holy and wicked so the change yields no "shadow or variation", James 1:17, Ephesians 6:17)...

Matthew 10:34
"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword".

....(how important is TRUTH....take a look).....

2 Thessalonians 2:10
"because they refused to love the truth AND SO BE SAVED".

...................John 14:6"........I am...the TRUTH...".

When God's spirit can relate to OUR SPIRIT, THEN we are truly His children...

Romans 8:16
"it is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God".

....OUR SPIRIT (attitude/demeanor, not simple 'personality'/character) is the person we are and must be able to relate to and identify with "I am who I am" (Exodus 3:14, verse 15 says "forever"). The Father sent Jesus to release us from "LAW" that we may have LIFE ABUNDANT (TRUE/REAL life, not simple existence, true life is full of happiness/joy and also ETERNAL) in joy and happiness.

......................John 14:6..............................."I am....THE life".

The strong delusion is not a future event. The Lord explained that to Ezekiel...

Ezekiel 14:3
"....shall I LET myself be inquired of AT ALL by them?".

2 Thessalonians 2:10 and 11
"with all wicked deception...I will send a STRONG DELUSION...".

All verses are from the RSV. Look up the words "christian", "christians", and the word "christianity". NOTICE which "follower" uses the word "christian".
Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for RSV

........The Lord is shaking His church (all spirituality...."the heaven")...."in order that what cannot be be shaken may remain" (Hebrews 12:27).

The New King James Bible: Counterfeit

http://www.puritanboard.com/f63/miss...-bibles-46080/

New Living Translation EXPOSED!
Satan's attacks were always strong and bold, but now he knows that time is short...and is more bold than ever.

Last edited by moreexcellentway : 09-27-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreexcellentway View Post
Richard Burger..........your courage is showing (courage to think outside of the status quo box).

2 Timothy 1:7
"for God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power and love and self-control".

The traditional teachings about God are very 'comfortable' and allow an abundance of PRIDE and FAME as a scholar of inteligentsia and divine mastery, but some of us seek whom their "SOUL" loves with GENUINE humility as a labor of LOVE (God is LOVE).

Song of Solomon 3:2..."I will seek whom my SOUL loves".

Many "Christians" will at least CLAIM to seek whom their "SOUL" loves, but find the traditional teachings (comfort zone) "sufficient". I have found only my lord's gracious deeds to be sufficient, but The Lord has given us "varied grace" so that we each have a "measure of faith" according to His will/desire (we should care about His WILL/DESIRE instead of COMMANDS).

1 Peter 4:10
"As EACH has received a gift....VARIED GRACE".

Twenty three years ago, I found the true identity of God, and all the buidings and the earthly 'masters of divinity' were a glorious 'escape' from the rigors and hell of life, but I did not find the WARM relationship with whom my SOUL loves. I was taught FEAR and weakness, but I could recognize the lies being taught.....because there was no longer an "I" ("SELF" denial...an IDENTITY CRISIS!). I became basically despondent and depressed (my 'spirits were low'..."poor in spirit"), but I remembered what The Lord said in His sermon....

"BLESSED are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN" (Matthew 5:3).

I wondered how this could be. Then I realized that THE PRESENT INNER KINGDOM is inside of me because I seek whom my SOUL loves.

For 19 and a half years, I had attended the buildings of the church of man (I despondently lost interest early on, but attended 8 times a year for good measure), but I didn't start to understand any of His real truths (objective truth) until I COMPLETELY gave up trying to know Him PERSONALLY by listening to what MAN has to say about Him. I said "Lord, do with me what you will, but I will not simply go to buildings, wear a christian uniform, salute you, and 'march properly',....I want YOU, YOU personally, VERY PERSONALLY...I will accept NOTHING ELSE,...if not, even if I go to hell, my love for you will never die" (I became "CLAY to the potter").

The Lord has shown me that sometimes I can be a spiritual snob (surprise!) and humbled me by showing me the verse about "varied grace", so it's POSSIBLE that maybe I'm being a little too hard on Peter (NAHHH!!) about his deeds...even though he was filled with the Holy Spirit.

Acts 4:8..."Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit...".

There is no indication that this 'money collecting idea' was God's suggestion, it was their own idea. So the hard and fast judgement and penalty on Ananias and his wife was completely Peter's doing (I don't know about you, but I personally am no "Peter").

"laid them at the apostle's FEET" (verse 35 and 37,...self glorification instead of giving the glory to God?).

5:11
"and great FEAR came upon the whole church...".

5:13 "them in HIGH HONOR"

5:15..."that as Peter came by at least his shadow might fall on some of them".

........UHHH. all glory belongs to God...OR PETER?????

So, maybe I am a spiritual snob ("varied grace"), but I certainly would not have decided to kill Ananias and his wife. I would have not allowed FEAR to be used for congregational membership. I would also not allow myself to be glorified.

Paul seems to be THE "TRUE worshipper" (John 4:23) while Peter (denying Christ 3 times, etc.) is the "varied grace" type of devotee (I'm being VERY generous/forgiving, but I personally am NO "Peter").

This was Paul's devotion to Jesus....(sound familiar,...or didn't the church of man teach you this?)...

SAUL persecuted all who were devoted to Jesus (members of "the way").

Acts 9:2............"so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem".

.....(SAUL persecuted "THE WAY").

Acts 18:25........."He had been instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, [even] though he knew only the baptism of John".

"The way" is not built on the baptism OF JOHN (with H2O), it is built around the baptism/consecration performed by God's spirit (Acts 1:5, John 7:38, 1 John 5:6) so that we "neither thirst" (Revelation 7:16).

Acts 19:9............"but when some were stubborn and disbelieved, speaking evil of the Way before the congregation,...".

Acts 19:23.........."About that time there arose no little stir concerning the Way".

Acts 24:14.........."But this I admit to you, that according to the Way,...".

Acts 24:22.........."But Felix, having a rather accurate knowledge of the Way,...".

Acts 25:3............"asking as a favor to have the man sent to Jerusalem, planning an ambush to kill them...".

...yes, SAUL killed followers of THE WAY, but when SAUL became PAUL, he had a devotion to Jesus because he joined THE WAY,...NOT "Christianity" (Christianity is THE CHURCH OF MAN).

It was for partisan bickering and political acceptance (secularism) that some (including Peter....the one who denied Jesus 3 times and did other worldly deeds,....me myself I am not a "Peter") copped out to the secular name of "Christianity".

Acts 11:26......."and in Antioch the disciples were for the first time called Christians".

John 14:6.........Jesus said................."I am THE WAY...".

Pilate was not known to be a philosopher, but God had him say "What is truth?" (John 18:38). God designed scripture so that we would always have it available whenever there is something HE decides we NEED (otherwise FAITH is sufficient for us) to understand about Him.

Pilate was referring to the worldly SUBJECTIVE/biased truth (as opposed to OBJECTIVE TRUTH)...which tends to 'make everything okay and justified,...such as crucifying the innocent,.... so we can have "peace" in our conscience), but The Lord did not come to bring "PEACE". He came to bring a "SWORD"/division (a SHARP division between good and evil, right and wrong, holy and wicked so the change yields no "shadow or variation", James 1:17, Ephesians 6:17)...

Matthew 10:34
"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword".

....(how important is TRUTH....take a look).....

2 Thessalonians 2:10
"because they refused to love the truth AND SO BE SAVED".

...................John 14:6"........I am...the TRUTH...".

When God's spirit can relate to OUR SPIRIT, THEN we are truly His children...

Romans 8:16
"it is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God".

....OUR SPIRIT (attitude/demeanor, not simple 'personality'/character) is the person we are and must be able to relate to and identify with "I am who I am" (Exodus 3:14, verse 15 says "forever"). The Father sent Jesus to release us from "LAW" that we may have LIFE ABUNDANT (TRUE/REAL life, not simple existence, true life is full of happiness/joy and also ETERNAL) in joy and happiness.

......................John 14:6..............................."I am....THE life".

The strong delusion is not a future event. The Lord explained that to Ezekiel...

Ezekiel 14:3
"....shall I LET myself be inquired of AT ALL by them?".

2 Thessalonians 2:10 and 11
"with all wicked deception...I will send a STRONG DELUSION...".

All verses are from the RSV. Look up the words "christian", "christians", and the word "christianity". NOTICE which "follower" uses the word "christian".
Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for RSV

........The Lord is shaking His church (all spirituality...."the heaven")...."in order that what cannot be be shaken may remain" (Hebrews 12:27).

The New King James Bible: Counterfeit

http://www.puritanboard.com/f63/miss...-bibles-46080/

New Living Translation EXPOSED!
Satan's attacks were always strong and bold, but now he knows that time is short...and is more bold than ever.
Wonderful reply! If men would do a word search on "TRUST" in the scriptures they would find who they are supposed to trust, and it isn't man.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Knight of the Forum

This is Paul's teaching from 1 Timothy 5;
20Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning.

21I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus and of His chosen angels, to maintain these principles without bias, doing nothing in a spirit of partiality.

22Do not lay hands upon anyone too hastily and thereby share responsibility for the sins of others; keep yourself free from sin.

23No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

24The sins of some men are quite evident, going before them to judgment; for others, their sins follow after.

And again, Romans 6;
1What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?

2May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?

3Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death?

Paul is not teaching a different Gospel. He is teaching in a different way and place, and its not at all clear that those making the charges against him are Jewish "believers". They are clearly Jewish adherents of the Law.
John 8
10Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?"

11She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go From now on sin no more."

How could Jesus tell her to go and "sin no more". Sounds like he has been listening to James.
It looks to me like, having beensaved and spared by Jesus, we have a responsibility to be holy.

Last edited by thelowlyfisherman : 09-27-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Gentlewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBurger View Post
Wonderful reply! If men would do a word search on "TRUST" in the scriptures they would find who they are supposed to trust, and it isn't man.
Be careful. Soon you'll be hearing about the "book within the book" and the "fold" of Scripture.

M. E. W. up to his old tricks. Richard, I advise you read his posts VERY carefully. He slips little things in that at first glance, you might just miss.

How are you Mewy?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 PM

Hello Gentlewind,

I appreciate your advice to Richard, I wouldn't want anyone at all to fall prey to even what I write if it is not explained properly or is contrary to their conscience. You brought MULTIPLE COMMENTARY ACCUSATIONS against/about me WITHOUT ANY EXPLANATION (NO explanation AT ALL).

1) you warned him to be careful (what's sinister....ME?).

2) you mentioned a "book within a book" and a "fold" in scripture (what are you talking about? what are these?).

3) you accused me of tricks (I try not to be sensitive, but I am a human being, you know...at least explain).

4) what are things that I deceivingly "slip in"?

=====================================

If you look at the wikipedia article, you'll see that Peter made a comprimise that Paul was 'not really on board with'...

Incident at Antioch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Jerusalem Council (around 50 A.D.) was made up of Jewish converts to Christianity. They wanted to continue obedience to MOSAIC law. Peter accepted this comprimise, Paul didn't.....WE ARE NOT JEWS. Jesus built His church UPON (on top of) the rock, not withIN it.

Matthew 16:18
"And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it".
Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 PM
Gentlewind

[quote=moreexcellentway;94695]

Quote:
1) you warned him to be careful (what's sinister....ME?).
Not sinister. Be careful, as I said, to read very carefully.

Quote:
2) you mentioned a "book within a book" and a "fold" in scripture (what are you talking about? what are these?).
I thought you knew.

Quote:
3) you accused me of tricks (I try not to be sensitive, but I am a human being, you know...at least explain).
Just being sarcastic, in light of past discussions.

Quote:
4) what are things that I deceivingly "slip in"?
I didn't say "deceivingly". I said "things you may not notice." Your posts are often lengthy. You present many "new" ideas, that should be looked over carefully.

I took some time to read your links. Aside from the "w-hore of Babylon" remarks, some of it was very interesting. I'll definitely keep my King James Version on hand for comparison and to find all the missing verses.

Sorry if I seemed antagonizing. You have a right to voice your beliefs just like the vast multitudes who all have their own beliefs. Amazing, the ambiguity in one book, in one faith. Who, truly, could EVER hope to sort it all out?

Not I.

Blessings, Greg. Jesus is Lord. Jesus is the "Way".

Last edited by Gentlewind : 09-27-2010 at 11:58 PM.