Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Is being "slain in the spirit" from God???

Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Default Is being "slain in the spirit" from God???

Having grown up in a pentecostal church I have seen my share of people being slain in the spirit. That is, falling backwards after having been touched in the forehead by the pastor. I have never been able to find within the scriptures any reason for believing that this is from God. However, recent conversations within the forum have led me to re-evaluate my position. If this act is not found in the scriptures but has been started by a particular church somewhere down the line (I don't know who or when), then is it right for me to think that this is not a valid work of God within the churches just because it is not found in the bible? What do you think?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Is being "slain in the spirit" from God???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIEC View Post
Having grown up in a pentecostal church I have seen my share of people being slain in the spirit. That is, falling backwards after having been touched in the forehead by the pastor. I have never been able to find within the scriptures any reason for believing that this is from God. However, recent conversations within the forum have led me to re-evaluate my position. If this act is not found in the scriptures but has been started by a particular church somewhere down the line (I don't know who or when), then is it right for me to think that this is not a valid work of God within the churches just because it is not found in the bible? What do you think?
I have struggled the same way brother. This is how I view it...
If we look a scripture and see how the Holy Spirit has dealt with people in the past. The Holy Spirit came on people and once that happen there was usually a very strong effect in the community around them or even the nation. I do not see it as for only one person to experience, without it effecting those around them.
One may say but this is a different time we live in, the age of grace etc. I say we as believers have all the more responsibility to share our faith and expand the kingdom. We all have the Holy Spirit and we should be about the Lord's work and it should make the prophets look like slackers.

So if slain in the Spirit makes a person become who they should be a slave to God then no problem. If being slain is just a feeling that produces no fruit then I have to say what good is it.

" People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWalker View Post
I have struggled the same way brother. This is how I view it...
If we look a scripture and see how the Holy Spirit has dealt with people in the past. The Holy Spirit came on people and once that happen there was usually a very strong effect in the community around them or even the nation. I do not see it as for only one person to experience, without it effecting those around them.
One may say but this is a different time we live in, the age of grace etc. I say we as believers have all the more responsibility to share our faith and expand the kingdom. We all have the Holy Spirit and we should be about the Lord's work and it should make the prophets look like slackers.

So if slain in the Spirit makes a person become who they should be a slave to God then no problem. If being slain is just a feeling that produces no fruit then I have to say what good is it.
Hey WW, How being "slain in the spirit" affects the individual person is not really what I am after here, but it is a good thought. Rather, how can we know, with certainty, if this is from God or Satan?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Hey WW, How being "slain in the spirit" affects the individual person is not really what I am after here, but it is a good thought. Rather, how can we know, with certainty, if this is from God or Satan?
I will not limit God in how He is working in peoples lives. I do not believe we could have a written rule or system proving all possiblities of how He could work. Some times we have to except by faith.

A good tree bears good fruit and a bad tree bears bad fruit...neither will the other bear. Like I implied in the other post the fruit of the Holy Spirit working on a person will show if it is from God or not.

It woul;d be like saying The Spirit can not blind someone therefore this would bring into question Paul's works. etc. see whee I am going here?

" People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Old 08-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWalker View Post
I will not limit God in how He is working in peoples lives. I do not believe we could have a written rule or system proving all possiblities of how He could work. Some times we have to except by faith.

A good tree bears good fruit and a bad tree bears bad fruit...neither will the other bear. Like I implied in the other post the fruit of the Holy Spirit working on a person will show if it is from God or not.

It would be like saying The Spirit can not blind someone therefore this would bring into question Paul's works. etc. see whee I am going here?
Not sure I follow. The last part that is.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Not sure I follow. The last part that is.
If we made a rule up saying that God will not blind people ....

So if we say God will not slay people in the Spirit ... we limit God.

And it is getting late and I need beauty sleep.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Knight of the Forum

I am not going to say that is true or not. I have seen it and been there when people fall all over the place. I was recruited once long time ago to catch a few as they fell. I doubted it then and doubt it now.

This is my opinion and in no way doctrine of my church. My church recognizes a variety of gifts and Catholic charismatics assure they are real. More power to them.

I personally am not into that nor look after that kind of experience. First, I am a skeptic on this and second I cannot see the value of it at least for me. But I really don't know.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 AM

I find the Pentacostal movement an intriguing mix. On the one hand there is definitely an openness to the Spirit that we don't have in the same way in our more traditional churches. But on the other hand I think there has also been a significant influence from African animistic religions, and to some extent Pentecostalism may present a syncretism between traditional European Christianity and African animistic religions. This syncretism I think is there due to how Pentecostalism came into being; European missionaries brought Christianity to Africa, and the Africans brought some of their traditional beliefs into a Christian context, and this was later carried across to the United States where Pentecostalism emerged as a particular Christian culture. Other, more extreme, flavours of this type of syncretism may also be seen, such as in the cult of Santa Muerte in Mexico and in the Haitian practice of mixing Voodoo with Catholicism.

But I don't want to "pick" on Pentecostalism here - as Christianity spread it has often picked up traces of old cultures, from the Hellenistic philosophy (such as the idea of the soul being separate from the body) found in almost all mainstream Christian churches, to the pagan influences on the timing of Christmas festival, and even the name of our "Easter" festival. It seems quite likely that Judaism itself initially brought in traditions from pre-existing religions (explaining, for example, why we have two narratives explaining the creation of man).

To me this cross-fertilization of religious cultures is part and parcel of how Judeo-Christian beliefs have developed. It's not something that I find worrying (it all emerges from the search for God that is common to all cultures, and there may well be truth present), but I find it does help to explain why certain practices, such as being slain in the Spirit, occur in localized Christian subcultures.

Last edited by Iggy : 08-12-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I find the Pentacostal movement an intriguing mix. On the one hand there is definitely an openness to the Spirit that we don't have in the same way in our more traditional churches. But on the other hand I think there has also been a significant influence from African animistic religions, and to some extent Pentecostalism may present a syncretism between traditional European Christianity and African animistic religions. This syncretism I think is there due to how Pentecostalism came into being; European missionaries brought Christianity to Africa, and the Africans brought some of their traditional beliefs into a Christian context, and this was later carried across to the United States where Pentecostalism emerged as a particular Christian culture. Other, more extreme, flavours of this type of syncretism may also be seen, such as in the cult of Santa Muerte in Mexico and in the Haitian practice of mixing Voodoo with Catholicism.

But I don't want to "pick" on Pentecostalism here - as Christianity spread it has often picked up traces of old cultures, from the Hellenistic philosophy (such as the idea of the soul being separate from the body) found in almost all mainstream Christian churches, to the pagan influences on the timing of Christmas festival, and even the name of our "Easter" festival. It seems quite likely that Judaism itself initially brought in traditions from pre-existing religions (explaining, for example, why we have two narratives explaining the creation of man).

To me this cross-fertilization of religious cultures is part and parcel of how Judeo-Christian beliefs have developed. It's not something that I find worrying (it all emerges from the search for God that is common to all cultures), but I find it does help to explain why certain practices, such as being slain in the Spirit, occur in localized Christian subcultures.

No offence brother but I see again that we have to explain away God's working in man. I do like your take on the whole thing and it gives me something to rubarb about. Blessings

Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Knight of the Forum

Being a memeber of a pentecostal church but not pentecostal I'll say this about being slain in the Spirit.
I think for me that fruit from this happening is importatnt to look at also.What friut does it bear.I've seen in the life of diffrent ones no fruit and I've seen great deliverence too.
I thought it was a flakey kind of thing at first until one day when i was praying for someone with no religous back ground and over they went.lol.
Well, this tattoed Lady when she stood up in her very own living room was changed.A month or two of teaching and fellowship with other Christians and she gave her life to Christ.After that baptisim. Her appearence and manner of life have been altogether changed. She has been fully converted from the darkness to the light. What shall we say then. I say God was in it and can be in it.Is it true with everyone? I don't know I just say Look at the fruit.
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.