Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > The Immutability and Impassivity of God

Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default The Immutability and Impassivity of God

This is a post that was in the round table section Posted by MMari. Iasked her if i could move it to the Main floor. I just felt it was an up lifting subject.

I've pondered the many different ways I've heard people I've known ascribe human emotions to God over time; I've heard God portrayed as though he were a big fluffy huggable teddy-bear to the opposite extreme of a God who carries a whip or a big stick. These two extremes exemplify a shift in moods or what we would call a mood swing. This is not characteristic of the God we serve.

Many times God is presented this way to others when a person is attempting to get a point across or oftentimes God becomes more human and palpable. I have seen this occur with those who are suffering or hurting which makes it more understandable, yet it remains that this concept of God is flawed.

God is Immutable which means he is unchanging. Mal. 3:6 Ja. 1:17

For those of us who believe God is unreservedly sovereign and immutable the questions arise regarding the various scriptural references of affections attributed to God. How do we reconcile this?

From the time of the early church Fathers and even now classic theism teaches the impassibility of God. Impassibility reflects that God is not moved by suffering, passion or involuntary passions.

In Genesis 6:6-7 it speaks of God " Seeing mans wickedness as great on the earth and states that God was grieved He had made man and said He would blot them out and every living thing." In other scriptures God is portrayed as pleased in 1Kings 3:10, grieved in Ps 78:40 Joyful in Zeph 3:17.

What then do we say about these emotions which are ascribed to God in the scriptures? In classic theism they are called anthropopathisms which are figurative expressions ascribing emotions to God.

In the same way the scriptures speak of body parts ascribed to God and we ourselves often speak of them, " having eyes to see and ears to hear." We know that God has no body as he is purely spirit as it states in John 4:24. This is called anthropomorphism.

Impassibility by no means indicates that God is lacking; God is not remote he is perfectly satisfied and fulfilled in the Trinity. God is not dependent on us for completeness yet in His benevolence he condescends to draw us into a rich loving fellowship with himself. This is why He reconciled us to himself through His son.

I am no theologian yet I have attempted to the best of my ability to share in short something I've pondered. If you have more input and can add to this it would be greatly appreciated. .
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: The Immutability and Impassivity of God

Speaking of the emotions of God...Is it not the names of God given to Him(in Hebrew) at different times when God was showing anger , love etc. Their language offers more in that spectrum then English fore sure.

I just thought of something. Picture this a God that is the Alpha and Omega sees the first light and the final capture. He is not bound by a lineal timeline...then he stops for a Milli-second and looks at what man is doing ( any time would do) Can you imagine what God must be thinking?
I can just picture Him looking at me and thinking ...'that jack*** what/who does he think he is.

Just some thoughts.

" People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Knight of the Forum

Immutable God

IMMU'TABLE, a. [L.immutabilis; in and mutabilis.]invariable; unalterable; not capable or susceptible of change.

Westminster Confession
 There is but one only living and true God, who is infinite in being and perfection, a most pure spirit, invisible, without body, parts, or passions, immutable, immense, eternal, incomprehensible, almighty, most wise, most holy, most free, most absolute, working all things according to the counsel of his own immutable and most righteous will, for his own glory, most loving, gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin; the rewarder of them that diligently seek him; and withal most just and terrible in his judgments; hating all sin; and who will by no means clear the guilty.
Westminster Confession
 God has all life, glory, goodness, blessedness, in and of himself; and is alone in and unto himself all-sufficient, not standing in need of any creatures which he has made, nor deriving any glory from them, but only manifesting his own glory in, by, unto, and upon them; he is the alone foundation of all being, of whom, through whom, and to whom, are all things; and has most sovereign dominion over them, to do by them, for them, or upon them, whatever himself pleases. In his sight all things are open and manifest; his knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature; so as nothing is to him contingent or uncertain. He is most holy in all his counsels, in all his works, and in all his commands. To him is due from angels and men, and every other creature, whatsoever worship, service, or obedience he is pleased to require of them.
Westminster Confession
 In the unity of the Godhead there are three Persons of one substance, power, and eternity: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. The Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Spirit eternally proceeding from the Father and the Son.
From everlasting to everlasting
 Isa 41:4 Who hath wrought and done it, calling the generations from the beginning? I the LORD, the first, and with the last; I am he.
 Isa 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
 Isa 43:11 I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour.

 Isa 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God.

Everlasting God
 Eze 1:26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.
 Eze 1:27 And I saw as the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about.
 Eze 1:28 As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.
 Eze 2:1 And he said unto me, Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I will speak unto thee.
 Eze 2:2 And the spirit entered into me when he spake unto me, and set me upon my feet, that I heard him that spake unto me.
He who sits on the throne
 Dan 7:9 I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.
 Dan 7:10 A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.
Unchanging in his promises
 Heb 6:10 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
 Heb 6:11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
 Heb 6:12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
 Heb 6:13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,
Unchanging in His promise
 Heb 6:14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.
 Heb 6:15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.
 Heb 6:16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
 Heb 6:17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
 Heb 6:18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
Unchanging in His promise
 Heb 6:19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
 Heb 6:20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
unchanging
 Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

This is the God we adore
 Jas 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
 Jas 4:9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.
 Jas 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

The end of the matter

 Jer 9:23 Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
 Jer 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
 Jer 9:25 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will punish all them which are circumcised with the uncircumcised;
 Jer 9:26 Egypt, and Judah, and Edom, and the children of Ammon, and Moab, and all that are in the utmost corners, that dwell in the wilderness: for all these nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised in the heart.

The end of the matter
 Rev 4:10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
 Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Gentlewind

Great verses, Rosby. Thanks for posting all of them together.