Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > God's Fire is Spiritual NOT Literal

Old 07-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Suspended for Review

Default God's Fire is Spiritual NOT Literal

I heard on the history channel last night about a social group who believes God is the creator but has no contact with man now. I totally disagree for the reason man does not have contact with god is because he is a natural man be he a babe or a non believer.

Oh sure there are a multiple of examples in the Bible where fire is as literal as the fire on my kitchen stove, the fire that was used to burn people on the stake but how are we as natural men understand what is spiritual unless we have an example of something literal.

This principle works with many things in scripture for there is a literal word as well as a spiritual word.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Later in that book the scripture declares:

15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

Are you spiritual man or are you a natural man, a natural man sees the literal, the spiritual man is reaching beyond the natural understanding for something beyond the realm of mans literal undestanding.

1 Corin 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world (age) are come. example

Example: NT:5178 Strongís: tupikos (toop-ee-kos'); an adverb related to NT:5179; found only in 1 Cor 10:11 as a warning, by way of example, typologically (i.e. figuratively, as a prophetic type, a typological interpretation of Scripture)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Default Re: God's Fire is Spiritual NOT Literal

Benoni,

You might be interested to know that the Jew's teach that there are four levels of understanding to be had within the bible. They are:

P [Pshat] - literal, simple - BREADTH
R [Remez] - parable, allegory - LENGTH
D [Derasha] - seek, search - DEPTH
S [Sod] - inner, mystical - HEIGHT

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19

If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18

Salt is good, but if the salt loses its flavor, how will you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace with one another. Mark 9:50
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Suspended for Review

Amen... I like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PermaPetra View Post
Benoni,

You might be interested to know that the Jew's teach that there are four levels of understanding to be had within the bible. They are:

P [Pshat] - literal, simple - BREADTH
R [Remez] - parable, allegory - LENGTH
D [Derasha] - seek, search - DEPTH
S [Sod] - inner, mystical - HEIGHT

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19
Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Representative Clergy

^Depends on what you mean by "literal." I think would be more accurate to say that God's Fire is not natural fire, i.e. it is not created fire or physical fire (i.e. the fire that we find in the fireplace or on the sun). To say it is not "literal" is somewhat misleading. God's fire being eternal is more substantial than created or natural fire which has a beginning. In other words, to say God's fire is "not literal" is to say that natural fire is more real than God's fire and to define the eternal based on our common usage of terms with regard to the natural.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Suspended for Review

Praise God; this is what a spiritual mind is all about to seek ask and knock; but my next question is what is the purpose for the fire? You say it is eternal; this may be true but the process of punishment cannot be eternal but age abiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
^Depends on what you mean by "literal." I think would be more accurate to say that God's Fire is not natural fire, i.e. it is not created fire or physical fire (i.e. the fire that we find in the fireplace or on the sun). To say it is not "literal" is somewhat misleading. God's fire being eternal is more substantial than created or natural fire which has a beginning. In other words, to say God's fire is "not literal" is to say that natural fire is more real than God's fire and to define the eternal based on our common usage of terms with regard to the natural.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Praise God; this is what a spiritual mind is all about to seek ask and knock; but my next question is what is the purpose for the fire? You say it is eternal; this may be true but the process of punishment cannot be eternal but age abiding.
Is the purpose of the fire not to clean out [believers] or to burn up [unbelievers]? In both cases, it is a matter of destroying evil.

For someone who has something other than evil [Good, which is God] any evil is to be cleaned out!

"For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." I Cor 3:11-15

Of course, anyone who doesn't even have the proper foundation [Jesus Christ] will be completely destroyed by the fire!

"For our God is a consuming fire." Heb 12:29
Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Suspended for Review

How can the lost have Jesus Christ; they were never called.

"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and TO ALL THAT ARE AFAR OFF, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2:39).

1 Corinthians 15:22-24

22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

(order) Gk Strongís NT:5001 tagma (tag'-mah); from NT:5021; something orderly in arrangement (a troop), i.e. (figuratively) a series or succession:

If God does not call you, you cannot come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Is the purpose of the fire not to clean out [believers] or to burn up [unbelievers]? In both cases, it is a matter of destroying evil.

For someone who has something other than evil [Good, which is God] any evil is to be cleaned out!

"For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.

If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire." I Cor 3:11-15

Of course, anyone who doesn't even have the proper foundation [Jesus Christ] will be completely destroyed by the fire!

"For our God is a consuming fire." Heb 12:29
Old 07-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Knight of the Forum

I never said that everyone was called.

As to the promise, some who have been called have to keep their part of the covenant so they ended up lost.

See for example King Saul of Israel! See also Judas Iscariot!

See also Ananias and Saphira!

See also the unnamed prophet who came out of Judah to prophesy to King Jereboam of the 10 northern tribes of Israel!

See also King Solomon!

Quote:
How can the lost have Jesus Christ; they were never called.

"For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and TO ALL THAT ARE AFAR OFF, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2:39).

1 Corinthians 15:22-24

22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

(order) Gk Strongís NT:5001 tagma (tag'-mah); from NT:5021; something orderly in arrangement (a troop), i.e. (figuratively) a series or succession:

If God does not call you, you cannot come.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Suspended for Review

Well to start with all of Israel will be saved so that annulated all of your examples.

Romans 11:26 (King James Version)
26And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

What you are missing is the Priesthood of God.
Godís fire is for purification not punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
I never said that everyone was called.

As to the promise, some who have been called have to keep their part of the covenant so they ended up lost.

See for example King Saul of Israel! See also Judas Iscariot!

See also Ananias and Saphira!

See also the unnamed prophet who came out of Judah to prophesy to King Jereboam of the 10 northern tribes of Israel!

See also King Solomon!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Well to start with all of Israel will be saved so that annulated all of your examples.

Romans 11:26 (King James Version)
26And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

What you are missing is the Priesthood of God.
Godís fire is for purification not punishment.
Not all of the natural blood offspring of Israel [Jacob] will be saved, for not all Israel is Israel! [See Rom 9:6]

Yes, God's fire is for purification, but as it burns up the evil within each of us, some will have nothing left at the end of the process!