+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Is Jesus the Only Way

Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Gentlewind

Default Is Jesus the Only Way

The words of Jesus:

John 14:6 (New King James Version)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

My desire is not to start a war, but to understand the Truth, and perhaps help others, as well as myself, understand what Jesus has clearly stated in the above verse, and why He said what He said. The answers are out there. I would like to understand why the concept of Jesus being the ONLY way to God, upsets so many people, even though this is what He clearly said. Do others see this verse differently than I see it?

First, I simply ask for comments. I will hold back and say nothing. I want to hear what others think and believe about the above verse. I want to know how the verse makes you feel--about yourself, about other people in the world, and about Jesus, Himself, and His relationship with humanity.

Be honest.

Let's discuss the Way to the Father.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Is Jesus the Only Way

Many think that such view is "narrow" and that God could have used other ways besides Christ.

Christians, for the most part, disagree. By the way, Christians who believe in the necessity of sacraments and the Church and who also honor the saints and Mary also agree that Jesus is the Only Way. It is because he is the Only Way that we believe in these other things he established.

I recommend Pope John Paul II's encyclical Dominum Iesu:

Dominus Iesus
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentlewind View Post
The words of Jesus:

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

My desire is not to start a war, but to understand the Truth, and perhaps help others, as well as myself, understand what Jesus has clearly stated in the above verse, and why He said what He said. The answers are out there. I would like to understand why the concept of Jesus being the ONLY way to God, upsets so many people, even though this is what He clearly said. Do others see this verse differently than I see it?

First, I simply ask for comments. I will hold back and say nothing. I want to hear what others think and believe about the above verse. I want to know how the verse makes you feel--about yourself, about other people in the world, and about Jesus, Himself, and His relationship with humanity.

Be honest.

I think that verse may be twisted by some Christians. It says Christ is the only way to the Father. That doesn't speak anything about "criteria for salvation," does it?

In my mind, I see Earth and Heaven... there is one bridge that connects the two (Jesus). The only way to the Father is through Jesus. Ok, but what's the "criteria" for crossing that bridge? That's the question. Do we have to say something? Believe something? Be baptized? Jesus decides who goes through Him to the Father - but based on what? I don't think that specific verse answers that question... it simply states a fact.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:04 PM
peacebwithu

[quote=Gentlewind;88846]The words of Jesus:

Yes, Jesus is the way, the truth and life and no one comes to the Father except by and through him.
God's plan to redeem mankind comes through only Jesus because he is the only one qualified.

Jesus is the way--the only way
1Tim. 2:5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
There is only one mediator between God and men and that is Jesus. There is no other mediator but Jesus. There is no one else that we go through to the Father.

Jesus is the life
Only Jesus was qualified to pay for our sin through his perfect obedience and righteousness so that we could have eternal life.
Rom. 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned— 18Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. 19For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
John 6:68 Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God."

Jesus came to testify to the truth
John 18:37 "You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."
John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth

Last edited by peacebwithu : 07-24-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Knight of the Forum

Jesus is the Door! He is the only Door! He is the Gate to the garden that was closed and guarded by cherubims and a flaming sword. When His natural flesh was torn asunder on our behalf the veil was torn open. The Way was open! The Door was open! The Gate was open! We must enter through that Veil, that Way, that Door, that Gate, in order to ever reach the Tree of Life!

When Jesus called Lazarus forth from the grave, He had opened the Door for Lazarus from death to Life, but more was needed! Everything that was needed was possible only through Him because that is how God intended it.

What does it means to go through Jesus? Does it not mean to somehow be in His Spirit?

Is the only Way to get into His Spirit by means of the defined doctrines of established churches under a proclaimed Christian banner?

Did He not say?...

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" Matt 7:7

Did not James clarify how to ask?

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." James 4:3

What is it then that we should ask for and where do we need to be when we are asking?

Are there certain words that must be spoken in order to find ourselves in or on that Way?
Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
The words of Jesus:

Be honest.

For me John 14:6 is crystal clear. The verse says it as is. It is written as it is, I can not add or subtract to it.

ped
Old 07-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
For me John 14:6 is crystal clear. The verse says it as is. It is written as it is, I can not add or subtract to it.

ped
What does that mean "I cannot add"? We cannot add to that verse but we can clarify in terms of what it means that Jesus is the Only Way. If you mean that I cannot say that something else or someone else is the way instead of Jesus, I am with you 100%. Nothing or no one instead of Jesus can bring us to the Father.

By the way, talking of sacraments or the Church is not adding anything. Just to clarify on my view not that you are saying that.

If you read John 14 in context you see that Jesus is simply revealing himself as that bridge to the Father and comforting his disciples. If you read starting in Chapter 13 Jesus is watching his disciples in distress in hearing about his impending departure. He washes their feet, has a meal with them, predicts his betrayal, and his departure.

Jesus reassures them that he is the way to the Father. He speaks of believing in Him and obeying him. In the context of believing and obeying, the disciples will then be in Christ, the only way to the Father.

On what Mark states, I think Jesus gave us answers in terms of the means toward being saved in him. Non-Christians might be saved but it will always be tougher as they indeed lack the ordinary means of salvation. If they are saved, they are saved through Christ and only through Christ.

Last edited by SolaVerbumDei : 07-24-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Knight of the Forum

[quote=peacebwithu;88852]
Quote:
The words of Jesus:

Yes, Jesus is the way, the truth and life and no one comes to the Father except by and through him.
God's plan to redeem mankind comes through only Jesus because he is the only one qualified.

Jesus is the way--the only way
1Tim. 2:5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
There is only one mediator between God and men and that is Jesus. There is no other mediator but Jesus. There is no one else that we go through to the Father.

Jesus is the life
Only Jesus was qualified to pay for our sin through his perfect obedience and righteousness so that we could have eternal life.
Rom. 5:12 Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinnedó 18Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. 19For as by the one manís disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one manís obedience the many will be made righteous.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
John 6:68 Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God."

Jesus came to testify to the truth
John 18:37 "You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."
John 17:17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth
I agree...
Old 07-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Jesus is the Door! He is the only Door! He is the Gate to the garden that was closed and guarded by cherubims and a flaming sword. When His natural flesh was torn asunder on our behalf the veil was torn open. The Way was open! The Door was open! The Gate was open! We must enter through that Veil, that Way, that Door, that Gate, in order to ever reach the Tree of Life!

When Jesus called Lazarus forth from the grave, He had opened the Door for Lazarus from death to Life, but more was needed! Everything that was needed was possible only through Him because that is how God intended it.

What does it means to go through Jesus? Does it not mean to somehow be in His Spirit?

Is the only Way to get into His Spirit by means of the defined doctrines of established churches under a proclaimed Christian banner?

Did He not say?...

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" Matt 7:7

Did not James clarify how to ask?

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." James 4:3

What is it then that we should ask for and where do we need to be when we are asking?

Are there certain words that must be spoken in order to find ourselves in or on that Way?
Again, the question is if Jesus is the Only Way. I think we all agree. Nothing or no one instead of Christ is the way to the Father.

Now, on the related question of what it means to be in Christ or how Jesus is the Only Way then there are certain criteria and that verse in itself says nothing about this. I think that faith and obedience and love and mercy, all have a place. If anyone reads there that the verse teaches salvation by faith alone that is adding to the verse a theology, eisegeting the text.

In terms of what instruments Christ established to communicate to us his grace then we can talk of doctrine {truth}, sacraments {life}, prayer {unity}, etc.

But what I see is a unity of thought in the sense that nothing instead of Christ or apart from him can save. He is the Only Way.

Last edited by SolaVerbumDei : 07-24-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I think that verse may be twisted by some Christians. It says Christ is the only way to the Father. That doesn't speak anything about "criteria for salvation," does it?

In my mind, I see Earth and Heaven... there is one bridge that connects the two (Jesus). The only way to the Father is through Jesus. Ok, but what's the "criteria" for crossing that bridge? That's the question. Do we have to say something? Believe something? Be baptized? Jesus decides who goes through Him to the Father - but based on what? I don't think that specific verse answers that question... it simply states a fact.

That is the strange but profound reciprocation:
"No man can come to me, except the Father that sent me draw him: and I will raise him up in the last day." John 6.44

So we cannot come to the Father except by Jesus Christ, but we cannot come to Christ unless the Father draws us. How does the Father draw us? By the Holy Spirit:

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

1 Corinthians 12:3
Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

John 7.37-39: On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.