Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > What is truth?

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default What is truth?

What is truth?

i’m just doing this little mini series and asking some basic questions to find out why we believe what we believe.
So i’ll start with truth……

What is truth? Where can you find it ;if it can be found?

Here is one definition……

TRUTH, n.

1. Conformity to fact or reality; exact accordance with that which is, or has been, or shall be. The truth of history constitutes its whole value. We rely on the truth of the scriptural prophecies.

My mouth shall speak truth. Prov 8.

Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth. John 17.

2. True state of facts or things. The duty of a court of justice is to discover the truth. Witnesses are sworn to declare the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

3. Conformity of words to thoughts, which is called moral truth.

Shall truth fail to keep her word?

4. Veracity; purity from falsehood; practice of speaking truth; habitual disposition to speak truth; as when we say, a man is a man of truth.

5. Correct opinion.

6. Fidelity; constancy.

The thoughts of past pleasure and truth.

7. Honesty; virtue.

It must appear

That malice bears down truth.

8. Exactness; conformity to rule.

Plows, to go true, depend much on the truth of the iron work. [Not in use.]

9. Real fact of just principle; real state of things. There are innumerable truths with which we are not acquainted.

10. Sincerity.

God is a spirit, and they that worship him must worship in spirit and in truth. John 4.

11. The truth of God, is his veracity and faithfulness. Psa 71.

Or his revealed will.

I have walked in thy truth. Psa 26.

12. Jesus Christ is called the truth. John 14.

13. It is sometimes used by way of concession.

She said, truth, Lord; yet the dogs eat of the crums-- Mat 15.

That is, it is a truth; what you have said, I admit to be true.

In truth, in reality; in fact.

Of a truth, in reality; certainly.

To do truth, is to practice what God commands. John 3.

Now your thoughts………
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Gideon

Default Re: What is truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinghiswill View Post
What is truth?

i’m just doing this little mini series and asking some basic questions to find out why we believe what we believe.
So i’ll start with truth……

What is truth? Where can you find it ;if it can be found?

Here is one definition……

TRUTH, n.

1. Conformity to fact or reality; exact accordance with that which is, or has been, or shall be. The truth of history constitutes its whole value. We rely on the truth of the scriptural prophecies.

My mouth shall speak truth. Prov 8.

Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth. John 17.

2. True state of facts or things. The duty of a court of justice is to discover the truth. Witnesses are sworn to declare the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

3. Conformity of words to thoughts, which is called moral truth.

Shall truth fail to keep her word?

4. Veracity; purity from falsehood; practice of speaking truth; habitual disposition to speak truth; as when we say, a man is a man of truth.

5. Correct opinion.

6. Fidelity; constancy.

The thoughts of past pleasure and truth.

7. Honesty; virtue.

It must appear

That malice bears down truth.

8. Exactness; conformity to rule.

Plows, to go true, depend much on the truth of the iron work. [Not in use.]

9. Real fact of just principle; real state of things. There are innumerable truths with which we are not acquainted.

10. Sincerity.

God is a spirit, and they that worship him must worship in spirit and in truth. John 4.

11. The truth of God, is his veracity and faithfulness. Psa 71.

Or his revealed will.

I have walked in thy truth. Psa 26.

12. Jesus Christ is called the truth. John 14.

13. It is sometimes used by way of concession.

She said, truth, Lord; yet the dogs eat of the crums-- Mat 15.

That is, it is a truth; what you have said, I admit to be true.

In truth, in reality; in fact.

Of a truth, in reality; certainly.

To do truth, is to practice what God commands. John 3.

Now your thoughts………
Truth is the weapon in our arsenal that breaks the bonds that satan has enslaved us all in. Jesus said that if we would continue in His word, that this is how we would prove to truly be His disciples, and by doing so, we would know the truth, and that the truth would set us free.

Now many have taken this to mean that, practically speaking, we would continue to be enslaved to the enemy, but that the penalty for falling short has been lifted from us.

But this is not at all what Jesus said. Let's listen closely. When He said these words above, those that believed on Him said "What do you mean you are going to set us free? We have never been in bondage to any man." To which Jesus replied:

"He that commits sin is a servant to sin, and the servant abides not in the house forever. Therefore, if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

Truth is the key to the fetters that bind us, but knowing them runs far deeper than "being aware of them". We must arm ourselves with these truths. And what are these truths that make satan flee us?

"You are dead and your life is hid with Christ in God"

or

"But you are not in the flesh, but in the spirit"

Now, the question before each of us is, are these statements truths we are simply "aware of", or have they become weapons yet in our hands?

Blessings,

Bruce

Last edited by Gideon : 07-10-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Representative Clergy

We are in dire trouble if truth is a matter of opinion.

Frankly, our opinion is not worth a hill of beans. If I think that the atlantic ocean borders kansas, and another person (let's name him Ted) retorts that it does not, neither my opinion nor Ted's in any way effects the reality that it does. Whether Ted believes it does or does not border the Atlantic Ocean, Kansas still does not border it--a verifiable fact. Neither my believing it nor Ted's disbelieving it is of any consequence to the reality, although it may be of consequence to us. Every person in Kansas is of the opinion that the Atlantic Ocean does not border Kansas. Yet even if they did not believe it, even if a majority did not believe it, still, the Atlantic Ocean does not border Kansas regardless of what the people of Kansas believe. However, if they try to switch their commerce to one of a salt water fishing commerce, their false opinion will certainly affect them.

Last edited by Linsinbigler : 07-10-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Gentlewind

Who is Truth?

The ultimate expression of truth for the Christian is Jesus, who said, " I am the way, the truth, and the life. (John 14:6) Those into philosophy may ignore His claim, but for the Sheep of the Shepherd, He is the essence of hope, safety, and guidance. Jesus not only said He originated truth, He said He IS truth.

John 14:6 (New International Version)

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

The apostles wrote what they witnessed in the earthly life of Christ. They related these things with great passion and obvious, fervent desire to have what they wrote be believed:

1 John 1:1-3 (New International Version)

That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.

(emphasis mine)

They saw miracles: healings, calming of the waves and the storm, even people who were brought back from the dead. We either believe these things, what these men passionately relate to us-- or we don't. If we believe these things, surely Jesus is who He said He is, and we should believe that all of His Words are Truth.

Therefore, we are warned, and should take heed:

Colossians 2:8 (New International Version)

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Mirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinghiswill View Post
What is truth?
Personally, I believe that truth is fluid. There are some truths that I believe to be absolute, others that I believe to be relative.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Mirage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
We are in dire trouble if truth is a matter of opinion.
Then we're in dire trouble.

Quote:
Frankly, our opinion is not worth a hill of beans.
I mean no disrespect, but why then should I bother reading the rest of your post? Are you not stating your opinion on what the truth is and how truth works?

Quote:
If I think that the atlantic ocean borders kansas, and another person (let's name him Ted) retorts that it does not, neither my opinion nor Ted's in any way effects the reality that it does. Whether Ted believes it does or does not border the Atlantic Ocean, Kansas still does not border it--a verifiable fact.
Is something only true if it's "verifiable"? -- That's a novel position for a theologian.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
I mean no disrespect, but why then should I bother reading the rest of your post? Are you not stating your opinion on what the truth is and how truth works? ... Is something only true if it's "verifiable"? -- That's a novel position for a theologian.
I don't think I implied in any way the latter position. I never said that verifiability is the only way to determine truth. However, I did imply that something that is verifiably true is true? Is this not true by definition?

As for the first question, you shouldn't. If what I said is simply opinion and in no way expresses truth, it should be completely ignored.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Representative Clergy

Let's take another example. All Canadians believe that they do not border the gulf of Mexico (except for maybe a few on the 7th floor of a hospital somewhere) and that the US does border it. This opinion of Canadians conforms to reality. But let us say that the Canadians were of a different opinion. Let us say a majority of Canadians believed that they border the Gulf of Mexico and the US does not and therefore should have a greater say in the Gulf oil spill. Now, the Canadians opinion would still not effect in any way the reality that the US borders the Gulf and that Canada does not. However, if anyone gave credence to this opinion, it would effect how policy on how to deal with the oil spill is accomplished. Now, let us say that the Canadians had a better plan to deal with the gulf spill, and the only way to get involved was if someone gave credence to this false view. Let us say it is given credence and that Canada solves the problem. The people who held the truth couldn't solve the problem, the people who held the lie could solve it. In this case, the lie apparently "bore fruit." But this is not the case. The truth of the solution combined with a lie of the Gulf’s situation made the illusion that the lie bore fruit.

But this is an illusion. The lie was used as a means to accomplish an end to implement truth. But in Christianity, the ends never justify the means. That the people who held the truth about the Gulf could not effectively deal with the problem with regard to the Gulf, does not in any was indicate their their position was not true. That those who held the lie could fix it does not in any way indicate that their position is true.

What does all this mean? It means that the problem could still be solved by effectively evangelizing the Canadians: "What you say is false--the Gulf does not border Canada, but nevertheless, you may be able to help solve a problem with regard to the oil spill." You don't need to give credence to the lie--you need to evangelize the truth but not be isolationist. Although it is true that one way of solving the problem would be to give credence to the lie, this is not the only option, and indeed, must not be the option that one takes.

It is like the parable of the wedding feast in Matt. 22--when the servants are not willing to come to the wedding feast, we are to go into the highways and bring in both the good and the bad, but they must put on the wedding garment of truth, or be thrown out bound hand and foot.

NOTE: Please do not turn this into a political discussion. The above mentioned scenario is parabolic, in that neither do the Canadians believe this nor do they have the answer as to how to solve the problem in the Gulf. It is an illustration.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Gentlewind

Faith proclaims: Jesus = Truth

Very simple. Those who abide in this Truth, will be led into all truth.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Representative Clergy

^Right. We have discussed this many times before. But if the whole world did not believe, still, God's truth would remain unchanged. Christ is Truth. All truth stems from the Truth that is the Word made flesh:

1. We exist, because Truth brought us from non-existence into being
2. We can perceive with the senses because Truth created us with these senses: we can smell a flower, touch a baby, etc.
3. We don't fall into non-existence because the Truth created the universe with physical laws, etc.

Yet there are deeper truths that will not be discerned without abiding in the one who is Truth.

Our recognition of Truth or His truth does not in any way effect this truth, that is, change that He is Truth and that His truth is truth. It does, however, effect us:

Revelation 2:13
“I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days in which Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.
Closed Thread