+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > That One Bread

Old 09-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Representative Clergy

Default That One Bread

What does this mean to you?:

1 Cor 10.16-17
"The Cup of Blessing which we bless, is it not the Communion of the Blood of Christ? The Bread which we break, is it not the Communion of the Body of Christ?

For we being many are one Bread, and one Body: for we are all partakers of that one Bread."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:44 PM
CatholicCrusader

Default Re: That One Bread

I read it as saying:

"The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf"

Which is more accurate?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
I read it as saying:

"The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf"

Which is more accurate?
I think both are ok. But I think some might miss the fact that it is the Koinonia (Communion) of the Body and Blood, although it is also "participation" as well. But more importantly, I think that using the world "loaf" to translate misses the connection here with John 6. The word here is Artos (Bread), and the word in John 6 is Artos: "I am the Bread (Artos) of life." I suppose there would be nothing wrong with using "loaf" here if one would also translate this same word "artos" in John 6 as "I am the Loaf of life." But I still think Bread is better and more to the point. But again, neither way is wrong.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Carico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
What does this mean to you?:

1 Cor 10.16-17
"The Cup of Blessing which we bless, is it not the Communion of the Blood of Christ? The Bread which we break, is it not the Communion of the Body of Christ?

For we being many are one Bread, and one Body: for we are all partakers of that one Bread."
In John 6, Jesus tells us that HE is the bread, not the other way around like the Catholics believe. Earthly bread is perishable food, heavenly bread is imperishable food. The perishable food goes inside and outside the body. Imperishable food (Jesus Christ in the form of the Holy Spirit) never leaves the body. But only born again Christians know that.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carico View Post
In John 6, Jesus tells us that HE is the bread, not the other way around like the Catholics believe. Earthly bread is perishable food, heavenly bread is imperishable food. The perishable food goes inside and outside the body. Imperishable food (Jesus Christ in the form of the Holy Spirit) never leaves the body. But only born again Christians know that.
Untrue about our faith. We believe that Jesus is the Bread of Life and he remains the Bread of Life under the appearance of earthly bread, not that the bread is Jesus! You do not understand what you consistently attack.

It is a heresy to say that Jesus Christ is in us "in the form of" the Holy Spirit! This confuses the distinct persons of the Trinity, something both Protestants and Catholics agree on.

John 6 recounts a wondrous miracle of Jesus becoming the imperishable food of Christians under the appearance of Bread and Wine. Something rejected by many there in John 6 but reiterated by Christ.

Last edited by SolaVerbumDei : 09-29-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaVerbumDei View Post
It is a heresy to say that Jesus Christ is in us "in the form of" the Holy Spirit! This confuses the distinct persons of the Trinity, something both Protestants and Catholics agree on.
I do not agree with it, but then to me the Holy Spirit is not what it is to most others who follow Jesus in any measure! You may have forgotten or it may have last been mentioned recently, but I am not a trinitarian. I am not here to argue, but simply to clarify that your generalization does not apply to everyone here prior to Carico!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Carico

Quote:
Who said it's heresy? The pope? Here's what God says it is; 2 Corinthians 13:5, "Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you? Or have you failed the test?"

You prove that the Catholics have failed the test...miserably. You also prove that you have no clue where to find the word of God since you not only don't know the bible says, you make up stories that aren't even in the bible. So it's the Catholics who are the heretics!

They killed people who disagreed with them, they offered forgiveness for money, they worship Mary as a sinless goddess, they omit commandments fro God as in Exodus 20;4 and they could care less how they blaspheme God. And you have the audacity to call me a heretic for believing the bible? You're a house divided against itself that cannot stand. And it won't stand on judgment day.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Yaright

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaVerbumDei View Post
Untrue about our faith. We believe that Jesus is the Bread of Life and he remains the Bread of Life under the appearance of earthly bread, not that the bread is Jesus! You do not understand what you consistently attack.

John 6 recounts a wondrous miracle of Jesus becoming the imperishable food of Christians under the appearance of Bread and Wine. Something rejected by many there in John 6 but reiterated by Christ.
Your approach to speaking (and learning) of matters of the Spirit is pretty crude. If you see that these members speak of Jesus, who is Christ, Son of the living God; how is it that you say they speak heresy, as if to condemn the body of Christ, which we are and have taken communion from. This is not about religious upbringing, but altogether Christ who gave His life for us. To fued over doctrines of man's religions as if somehow one is better than the other; Even as the disciples argued among each other who was the greatest. Jesus teaches us that this way of thinking falls short of His Truth.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaright View Post
Your approach to speaking (and learning) of matters of the Spirit is pretty crude........
Regarding the person he was responding to: He - and me - were pretty upset at the way they had been charachterizing our faith. Sola's response is partially the reult of the frutration of that day, which I totally sympathize with.

In fact, Sola is anything but crude in his posts. He is quite articulate and knowledgable.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:56 PM
preachergirl

You know it's really quite a work of art how your Catholic religion has what is spiritual so perfectly designed for mortal man to enter into....it's like I'm seeing something here anew. Most people, when they don't "really" understand something, judge it from the very basic perseptions they have; so in the case of Catholicism, many who have no idea, judge the religion as based on a bunch of outward rituals that have no inward spirituality. It had been my view for long time until more age and a little wisdom?

By the way, half my blood family is Catholic and my marriage family is, and I have been exposed since a child, so no offenses here.

As I read your more indepth discussions, I see that there is scriptural and spiritual design and depth behind these Catholic practices, and actually I was quite amazed at how intricately they provide mortal man with what I can only describe as....a literal Temple with all the original entrances into the spiritual places.

I can see the significance in for example what you call the sacrament of confession...I can see that public vs. private confession can serve the purpose of displaying to God sincerity in that not only "if we confess him before man will Christ confess us before God," but also if we confess our sins before man...the way is made for the same sincerity.

Surely it's the sincerity of heart that God is looking for and on, and a greater impact occurs in man if he openly confesses, and I see God concerned most of all with the sincerity of heart vs. any outward displays...BUT...again, these sacraments provide the path to sincerity of heart.

This I posted in another place but wanted to insert here...

I am not Catholic and have met God in the secret place long time...and through and in this Same Spirit that these sacraments lead to...God is God, and we know him by his Spirit....I have experienced often his response in my heart and life when I have truly for example confessed sins...I have seen his delivering power come upon me when I with "sincerity" laid things on his alter.

So here a difference between Catholicism and some of us more Pentecostal's who also can be misunderstood by appearances. My own conclusion is...one man may meet God "according to his faith.." in a way different from another....but as God looks on the heart while man looks on the outward...ultimatly..God looks on the heart....and....

thus...I know I know him and I today with age can see that Catholic people also know him.