Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Called by the name of God

Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Called by the name of God

Soulheart3, Justabob, Joshua888, Laurie, and probably several others have said somethings over the past month that came slamming home on me this morning and tossed a door wide open for a new understanding. All of them have said things or implied things in regards to what it means to be called by the name of God. As I posted a reply to Soulheart this a.m. that contained this phrase, I finally took true notice of it.

2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV)
14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

And I'd like to ask all of you, what is the meaning to you of being called by God's name?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
CatholicCrusader

Default Re: Called by the name of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFinishedYet View Post
......And I'd like to ask all of you, what is the meaning to you of being called by God's name?
Well, God's name was YHWH - "I Am Who Am". His name, in a sense, was the denial of a name as we know it because every name falls short of being worthy of God. So, His "name" meant that he is pure existance, pure "being".

So if I were to venture a guess, which is something I normally don't like to do, I would say that the very fact that he exists and holds all things in existance is why his people are called to come to Him. His sheer willl (or Word) is what holds us in existance and therefore we must aknowledge him as God.

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 08-20-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Soulheart3, Justabob, Joshua888, Laurie, and probably several others have said somethings over the past month that came slamming home on me this morning and tossed a door wide open for a new understanding. All of them have said things or implied things in regards to what it means to be called by the name of God. As I posted a reply to Soulheart this a.m. that contained this phrase, I finally took true notice of it.

2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV)
14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

And I'd like to ask all of you, what is the meaning to you of being called by God's name?
Well goodness gracious... make me think will you? You are such a deep thinker Peg, I admire that in you, and very knowledgable to boot. Called by my name.... those people called... does this mean being called to God by God, or that the surrounding nations and its people seeing the Isrealites as people of YHWH? Can you give me a hint? Tell me which path you wish me to follow and I will be a good little rabbit.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
Well goodness gracious... make me think will you? You are such a deep thinker Peg, I admire that in you, and very knowledgable to boot. Called by my name.... those people called... does this mean being called to God by God, or that the surrounding nations and its people seeing the Isrealites as people of YHWH? Can you give me a hint? Tell me which path you wish me to follow and I will be a good little rabbit.
Rofl! I want you to follow your own path, silly wabbit. No telling me what you think I want to know. Let me suck the knowledge outta your head.... suuuuuuckkkkkkk.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Rofl! I want you to follow your own path, silly wabbit. No telling me what you think I want to know. Let me suck the knowledge outta your head.... suuuuuuckkkkkkk.

Shhhhh! Be vwery quiet... I'm hunting wabbit holes! I think it might be speaking of (us) being called by His name in the sense that He (God) calls us and we respond in prayer. That makes more sense in the context of that its talking about prayer.

Is that your cat and your hand? Very cute picture! When you sucked the knowledge outta my head, did you happen on any knowledge of where I put that bank statement of my mothers... hunt...hunt...hunt. Ohh shucks. Its thundering, better sign off before my puter splodes.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Well, God's name was YHWH - "I Am Who Am". His name, in a sense, was the denial of a name as we know it because every name falls short of being worthy of God. So, His "name" meant that he is pure existance, pure "being".

So if I were to venture a guess, which is something I normally don't like to do, I would say that the very fact that he exists and holds all things in existance is why his people are called to come to Him. His sheer willl (or Word) is what holds us in existance and therefore we must aknowledge him as God.
Great thoughts, Terry!!! You hit it right on the head in that His name defines who He is. And when He gave us His name as YHWH it was as the all in all essence - giver of life and being to all things, indescribable, and all encompassing. The One who holds all things together. And the hint you give there is of how His name varies throughout the OT and each time He gives us one of His different names, He gives us more insight into His attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulrheart3
Called by my name.... those people called... does this mean being called to God by God, or that the surrounding nations and its people seeing the Isrealites as people of YHWH? Can you give me a hint? Tell me which path you wish me to follow and I will be a good little rabbit.
I think you're right both ways, Wabbit! He draws us to Himself, identifying us by the name He has placed on us and also in marking us as separate from the others so we are distinct from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3
I think it might be speaking of (us) being called by His name in the sense that He (God) calls us and we respond in prayer. That makes more sense in the context of that its talking about prayer.
Yes,it is in His name we are to pray. We are to make His name holy as we pray ("Hallowed be your name") and to acknowledge that His name is holy. And we are to pray to Him.

Yeah, so? What am I thinking here that is new to me? Let me put it into context as I've been studying ancient Jewish thought. It is my understanding that in ancient thought your name defined who you were: your character and essence. Like Adam: the word itself meant red clay, earth, or to make. Or Abram meant "exalted father" . When God changed it to Abraham (Father of a multitude), He was pointing out a change in what Abraham's purpose or mission. And the other thing was that depending on who you were interacting with, you may have given them a different name as you were revealing your true self with your name. We still do this to some extent: many here give a name that is one they only use here on this forum, while they may be known as someone else on another site. The third thing that comes to me is that we've forgotten or de-emphasized the importance of putting your name on something. It shows ownership, that the item belongs to you. If I'm reading my soures correctly, in ancient Jewish thought it went one step farther: putting your name on something made it an extension of yourself. Kinda like a husband and wife: wife takes on man's name and they become one thing. Like MMari has said, you deal with RollingThunder, you deal with her: they are one.

Throughout the OT there are times when we are "called by" the name of God, not "called on". When I call on the name, I am in prayer and worship. If I am "called by the name of God", I am that part of God that the name defines. I am:
# Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd)
# Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals)
# Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There)
# Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness)
# Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You)
# Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide)
# Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace)
# Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts)

and all those other names that define God. Taking on the name of God means I have become who He is: His character and nature. Godís name is holy: to take it on (be called by it) makes me holy. God has many names revealed throughout the OT, each gives us another part of Him. Think of some of the things His names reveal: strength, power, oneness, sovereignty, almighty, lord, master, healer, peaceÖ.. and so many more.

Do I have any further scriptures that show this: ď And Jehovah speaketh unto Moses, saying, `Speak unto Aaron, and unto his sons, saying, Thus ye do bless the sons of Israel, saying to them, `Jehovah bless thee and keep thee; `Jehovah cause His face to shine upon thee, and favour thee; `Jehovah lift up His countenance upon thee, and appoint for thee -- peace. `And they have put My name upon the sons of Israel, and I -- I do bless them.' (Numbers 6:23-27) Seems God is pointing out here that by offering these blessings the priests labeled Israel with His name and all those attributes of His.

So I'm thinking that to be "called by the name of God" kinda shifts things for me. Iíve been thinking that it meant that He was calling or beckoning us: not that He was changing our names and giving us His essence in that manner. The priesthood of Aaron placed Godís name on the people above and Jesus manifested and placed Godís name on us according to John 17. The new creation we have become in Christ is wrapped up in this for me. And it then changes how I see some other scriptures.

When I look then at scriptures that talk about His name, I need to be aware if they are verses which tell me how to call on His name (worship Him) or if they are ones which say I am called by His name (we are one with Him). To me, the importance is knowing His character, who He truly is. I think of the verse: ďMany will say to me in that day, Lord, lord, have we not in thy name prophesied? and in thy name cast out demons? and in thy name done many mighty things? and then I will acknowledge to them, that -- I never knew you,Ē And how about my name being written in the Book of Life. That is not just an identifier of a person Ė it is their unique character and essence also that God must know. I consider now how itís not just confessing God and Jesus, but truly knowing their character, their essence, their names which is important. For it tells me who I am.

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 AM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Great thoughts, Terry!!! You hit it right on the head.......
Yeh, I rip out a good one every once in a while
Old 08-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Keywords:
  1. Call
  2. Name

CALLED

Since Christ Jesus came in the form of a man, and before the manifestation of the Spirit, every believer until his or her redemption is "called". And, therefore, of the Church. Such one, if he or she continues in the faith and grace of God, will be justified and eventually glorified.

There is another "calling" post election as a saint. That is for those who have obtained His Holy name as faith. In this understanding, that is how come we have the phrase from "faith to faith"...

NAME

The name of God is reverend. His reverend name is obtained/attained via His gifts of sanctification and the fear of God.

Therefore, God's name is "Holy" because holiness, which starts out with the sanctification of God, is perfected in the fear of God.

Since Jesus Christ, the name of God is "Holy"... and His holiness is largely considered when we pray or prophesy in His name. Angels and saints generally call Him - "Holy".

The fear of God, together with the sanctification of God, perfectly includes all the natures (Raah, Rapha, Shammah, Tsidkendu, Mekoddishkem, Jireh, Shallom, Sabaoth) of Jehovah.

Therefore, His Holy name, which is perfected in the fear of God, encapsulates all names of Jehovah. The fear brings about the absence of desolation, destruction, anguish, or distress. That is why we can obtain peace, healing, presence, sanctification, etc.... from His Holy name.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:24 PM
quietude

I understand the phrase to be a reference to baptism and subsequent righteous living. When one is baptized, he takes upon himself the name of Christ. And when one lives a christlike life thereafter, enduring in faith to the end of life, hes has then not only taken Christ's name upon himself, but has "written" the name of Christ on his head, or on his spirit. He has become like Christ. That's what it means to me.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:17 PM
CatholicCrusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietude View Post
I understand the phrase to be a reference to baptism and subsequent righteous living. When one is baptized, he takes upon himself the name of Christ. And when one lives a christlike life thereafter, enduring in faith to the end of life, hes has then not only taken Christ's name upon himself, but has "written" the name of Christ on his head, or on his spirit. He has become like Christ. That's what it means to me.
Thats pretty good.