Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Sin vs The Holiness of God

Old 07-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Knight of the Forum

Default Sin vs The Holiness of God

Sin vs The Holiness of God

To understand grace, to understand Christ aright, we must understand what sin is. And how otherwise can we come to this understanding than through the light of God and his word?

Come with me to the beginning of the Bible. See there man created by God, after his image, and pronounced by his creator to be very good. Then sin entered, as rebellion against God. Adam was driven out of paradise and was brought along with the untold millions of following generations under curse and ruin. That was the work of sin. Here we learn its nature and power.

Come further on and see the ark of Noah on Ararat. So terrible had godlessness become among men, God saw nothing for it but to destroy man from off the earth. That was the work of sin.

Come once more with me to Sinai. God wished to establish his covenant with a new nation - with the people of Israel. But because of man's sinfulness, he could do this only by appearing in darkness and lightning so terrible that Moses said: 'I exceedingly fear and quake' (Heb. 12.2 1). And before the end of the giving of the law that awful message came: 'Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them' (Gal. 3. 10). It was sin which made that necessary.

Come once more with me, and this time to Calvary There see what sin is, and the hatred and enmity with which the world cast out and crucified the Son of God. There sin reached its climax. There Christ was, by God himself, made sin, and became a curse, as the only way to destroy sin. In the agony in which he prayed in Gethsemane, that he might not drink the terrible cup, and in the agony in which on the cross, in the deep darkness of desertion, he cried out: 'My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?' we obtain at least some faint idea of the curse and indescribable suffering which sin brings. If anything can make us hate and detest sin, it is Christ on the cross.

Come once again with me to the judgment seat of the Great Day, and see the bottomless pit of darkness wherein countless souls will be plunged under the sentence: 'Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire' (Matt. 25.41). Oh, will not these words soften our hearts and fill us with a never-to-beforgotten horror of sin, so that we may hate it with a perfect hatred?

And now is there anything else that can help us to understand what sin is? Yes, there is. Turn your eyes inward, and behold your own heart, and see sin there. Remember that all you have already seen of the hatefulness and godlessness of sin should teach you what sin in your own heart means - all the enmity against God, all the ruin of men, all of its inner nature of hatefulness, lie hidden in the sin you have committed, guilt of every transgression against God. And when you remember that you are a child of God, and yet commit sin and allow it sometimes to fulfill its lusts, is it not fitting that you should cry out with shame: 'Woe is me, because of my sin'? 'Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, 0 Lord' (Luke 5:8).

One great power of sin is that it blinds men so that they do not recognise its true character. Even the Christian himself finds an excuse in the thought that he can never be perfect and that daily sin is a necessity. He is so accustomed to the thought of sinning that he has almost lost the power and ability of mourning over sin. And yet there can be no real progress in grace apart from an increased consciousness of the sin and guilt of every transgression against God. And there cannot be a more important question than this: 'How can 1 regain the lost tenderness of conscience and become prepared really to offer to God the sacrifice of a broken heart?'

Scripture teaches us the way. Let the Christian remember what God thinks about sin - the hatred with which his holiness bums against it, the solemn sacrifice which he made to conquer sin, and deliver us from it. Let him tarry in God's presence till his holiness shines upon him, and he cries out with Isaiah: 'Woe is me! for I am undone' (Isa. 6.5).

Let him remember the cross, and what the love of Christ had to endure there, through the unspeakable pain which sin caused him; and let him ask if this will not teach him to hearken to the voice which says: 'Oh, do not this abominable thing which 1 hate' (Jer. 44.4). Let him take time, so that the blood and love of the cross may exercise their full influence on him, and let him think of sin as nothing less than giving his hand to Satan and to his power. Is not this a terrible result of our prayerlessness, and of our short and hasty tarrying before God - that the true knowledge of sin is almost lost?

Let the believer think not only of what redemption has cost Christ, but also of the fact that Christ is offered to him, by the Holy Spirit, as a gift of inconceivable grace, through whom divine forgiveness and purification and renewing have taken possession of him; and let him ask himself with what return such love should be repaid. If only time were taken to tarry in God's presence and ask such questions, the Spirit of God would accomplish his work of conviction of sin in us and would teach us to take an entirely new standpoint, and would give us a new view of sin. The thought would begin to arise in our hearts that we have in very deed been redeemed, so that in the power of Christ we may live every day as partners in the great victory which Christ obtained over sin on the cross, and manifest it in our walk.

What think you? Do you not begin to see that the sin of prayerlessness has had a more terrible effect than you at first supposed? It is because of this hasty and superficial converse with God that the sense of sin is so weak and that no motives have power to help you to hate and flee from sin as you ought. Nothing, nothing except the hidden, humble, constant fellowship with God can teach you, as a child of God, to hate sin as God wants you to hate it. Nothing, nothing but the constant nearness and unceasing power of the living Christ can make it possible for you rightly to understand what sin is and to detest it. And without this deeper understanding of sin, there will be no thought of appropriating the victory which is made possible for you in Christ Jesus, and will be wrought in you by the Spirit.

0 my God, cause me to know my sin and teaching me to tarry before thee and to wait on thee till thy Spirit causes something of thy holiness to rest upon me! 0 my God, cause me to know my sin, and let this drive me to listen to the promise: 'He that abideth in him sinneth not,' and to expect the fulfillment from Thee!

The Holiness of God

It has often been said that the conception of sin and of the holiness of God has been lost in the Church. In the inner chamber we have the place where we may team again how to give God's holiness the position it should have in our faith and life. If you do not know how to spend half an hour in prayer, take up the subject of God's holiness. Bow before him. Give yourself time, and give God also time, that he and you may come into touch with one another. It is a great work, but one fraught with great blessing.

If you wish to strengthen yourself in the practice of this holy presence, take up the holy word. Take, for instance, the book of Leviticus and notice how God seven times gives the command: 'Ye shall be holy, for I am holy' (11.44, 45; 19.2; 20.7, 26; 21.8; 22.32). Still more frequent is the expression: 'I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.' This great thought is taken over into the New Testament. Peter says (1 Pet. 1. 15, 16): 'Be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, Be ye holy; for 1 am holy.' Paul writes in his first epistle (1 Thess. 3.13; 4.7; 5.24): 'he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness.... God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness... Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.'

Nothing but the knowledge of God, as the holy one, will make us holy. And how are we to obtain that knowledge of God, save in the inner chamber? It is a thing utterly impossible unless we take time and allow the holiness of God to shine on us. How can any man on earth obtain intimate knowledge of another man of remarkable wisdom, if he does not associate with him, and place himself under his influence? And how can God himself sanctify us, if we do not take time to be brought under the power of the glory of his holiness? Nowhere can we get to know the holiness of God, and come under its influence and power, save in the-inner chamber. It has been well said: 'No man can expect to make progress in holiness who is not often and long alone with God.'

And what now is this holiness of God? It is the highest and most glorious and most all-embracing of all the attributes of God. Holiness is the most profound word in the Bible. It is a word that is at home in heaven. Both the Old and New Testaments tell us this. Isaiah heard the seraphs with veiled faces cry out: 'Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts' (6.3). John heard the four living creatures say: 'Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty' (Rev. 4. 8). This is the highest expression of God's glory in heaven, by beings who live in his immediate presence and bow low before him. And dare we imagine that we, by thinking, and reading, and bearing, can understand or become partakers of the holiness of God? What folly! Oh, that we might begin to thank God that we have a place in the inner chamber, a place where we can be alone with him, and take time for the prayer: 'Let thy holiness, 0 Lord, shine more and more into our hearts, that they may become holy.'

And let our hearts be deeply ashamed of our prayerlessness, through which we have made it impossible for God to impart his holiness to us. Let us beseech God fervently to forgive us this sin, and to allure us by his heavenly grace, and to strengthen us to have fellowship with him, the holy God.

I have said that the meaning of the words, 'The holiness of God', is not easily expressed. But we may begin by saying that they imply the unspeakable aversion and hatred with which God regards sin. And if you wish to understand what that means, remember that he preferred to see his Son die, rather than that sin should reign. Think of the Son of God, who gave up his life rather than act in the least matter against the will of the Father. Still further, he had such a hatred of sin that he preferred to die rather than that men should be held in its power. That is something of the holiness of God, which is a pledge that he will do everything for us - for you and me - to deliver us from sin. Holiness is the fire of God that will consume sin in us and make us holy sacrifices, pure and acceptable before him. It was for this reason that the Spirit came down as fire. He is the Spirit of God's holiness, the Spirit of sanctification in us.

Oh, think over the holiness of God, and bow in lowliness before him, till your heart is filled with the assurance of what the holy one will do for you. Take a week, if necessary, to read and re-read the words of God on this great truth, till your heart is brought under the conviction: 'This is the glory of the inner chamber, to converse with God the holy one; to bow down in deep humility and shame before him, because we have so despised him and his love through our prayerlessness.' There we shall receive the assurance that he will again take us into-fellowship with himself. No one can expect to understand and receive the holiness of God who is not often and long alone with God.

Someone has said that the holiness of God is the expression of the unspeakable distance by which he in his righteousness is separated from us, and yet also of the unspeakable nearness in which he in his love longs to hold fellowship with us and dwell in us. Bow in humble reverence, as you think of the immeasurable distance between you and God. Bow in childlike confidence in the unspeakable desire of his love to be united with you in the deepest intimacy; and reckon most confidently on him to reveal something of his holiness to the soul which thirst after him and waits upon him and is quiet before him.

Notice how the two sides of the holiness of God are united in the cross. So terrible was the aversion and anger of God against our sin that Christ was left in the thick darkness, because God, when sin was laid upon him, had to hide his face from him. And yet so deep was the love of God toward us and he so desired to be united to us that he spared not his Son but gave him over to unutterable sufferings, that so he might receive us, in union with Christ, into his holiness, and press us to his heart as his beloved children. It was of this suffering that our Lord Jesus said: 'I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth' (John 17.19). Thus he is become of God our sanctification, and we are holy in him.

I beseech you, think not little of the grace that you have a holy God who longs to make you holy. Think not little of the voice of God which calls you to give time to him in the stillness of the inner chamber, so that he may cause his holiness to rest on you. Let it be your business every day, in the secrecy of the inner chamber, to meet the holy God. You will be repaid for the trouble it may cost you. The reward will be sure and rich. You will learn to hate sin, and to regard it as accursed and conquered. 'Me new nature will give you a horror of sin. The living Jesus, the holy God, will, as conqueror, be your power and strength; and you will begin to believe the great promise contained in 1 Thessalonians 5.23, 24: 'The very God of peace sanctify you wholly... Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.'
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Heneni

Default Re: Sin vs The Holiness of God

Well said DGW! I applogise for the long post. What remains perhaps, is to discuss where we find the sin. You have said that we must look inside of our hearts and we will find sin there. I believe that jesus came to condemn sin in the flesh. The instrument with which we sin. Our old nature was crucified to the cross, and we pick up this cross daily and therefore drag this old nature with us. We are told to deny ourselves, which i believe means, deny the old man any further interference in our lives.

But to find sin in our hearts? I think its only possible to find sin in the old nature. God promised to give us a new heart, and i believe he did that when he gave us a new spirit. So with the new heart of the new spirit, i dont think we can find sin in it. When your heart condemns you (your old nature) God is greater than your heart. The new spirit and heart finds consulation in god.

Hebrews 10: 22let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

The scripture says that we draw unto god with a sincere heart. This kind of heart cannot be the kind of hard heart that the isrealites had who drew near to god with their lips but their hearts were far from him. Our new hearts cannot be far from god because it is the new heart of the new spirit which is in christ jesus. So that heart is in christ jesus who is very near to god, and can because it is sincere because jesus is sincere draw near to god in sincerity.

The scripture also says that we draw near to god with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith. Anything that is not done out of faith is sin, and the only thing that can not have faith is the flesh. Our spirits must have faith, because it was saved by faith. So our hearts can draw near to god in sincerity with full assurance of faith and why does it do that? To cleanse us from a guilty conscience. It does not say to cleanse us of sin, it says to cleanse us from a guilty conscience. Jesus already cleared us of our past sin.

It is absolutely crucial to realise that you have been cleansed of you past sins. When you forget you have been cleansed of your past sins this is what will fail to happen precisely because you have forgotten it:

1 Peter 1: 5For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ
1 Peter 1: 9But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

When you have forgotten that you HAVE been cleansed of your past sins you will end up bieng ineffective and unproductive. Its not a greater realisation of sin that makes us better, its a greater understanding of the fact that we HAVE been cleansed of it.

A guilty conscience is what happens when the flesh acts contrary to the will of god. So it tries to condemn us, and god subsequently cleases our conscience of the guilt. The law made us conscious of sin, and the flesh is what we sin with, so it is the flesh that acts upon our conscience to make it feel guilty. But who shall accuse us when god has aquited us?

Hebrews 4:12

12For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

The living word of god (Jesus is the word of god)penetrates and divides the soul from the spirit. Its the soul that condemns, its the spirit that is free from condemnation. And so the word of god (jesus our judge) judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Further on the scripture continues and says:

Hebrews 4: 16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. So when our old nature's heart condemns us, we can approach the throne room of grace with confidence, so that we might receive mercy and find grace in our time of need.

When the thoughts and attitutes of the heart has been judged there is no condemnation, there is the free access to the throne room of grace where our hearts are sprinkled to clear it of a guilty conscience.

Jesus dealt with the punishment for sin entirely in his flesh.

Jesus was bruised for those sins we carry on our sleeve. Sins that are obvious to us and others, they are easy to spot and easy to identify
Jesus was cut in his flesh by being whipped, so that the fleshly sins that we hide just beneath the surface be exposed and dealt with.

Jesus was pierced so that he could deal with the sins that we are unaware of. Lying deeply entrenched in our personality.

All these things jesus took the punishment for in the flesh. And our spirits....he made it new. Entirely connected to jesus entirely free from condemnation and free from a guilty conscience.

When jesus comes back he does this:

John 16: 8When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me;

He will convict the world of guilt. The world, not us.

John 9: 41Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

The scripture says that if you were blind you would not be guilty of sin. It does not say if you were blind you would not sin. It says if you were blind you would not be guilty of it. To be fully conscious of sin, means you are not blind to it. And your guilt will remain. Hence:

Romans 16:9

Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I am full of joy over you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil.

God has given us a way to clear our conscience. So that we might remain innocent about what is evil. The written code of the law makes us conscious of sin.

Romans 3:20

....through the law we become conscious of sin.

Titus 1: 15To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.

So this is why god clears our conscious, so that we may continue to believe, unlike those who do not believe and have a conscience that is corrupted. That is why the removal of guilt out of the conscience is essential to keep us pure. Pure from the guilt that results from sin which only draw us away from that which is pure (god).

2 Tim 1:3
I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience,

1 Tim 1:19
holding on to faith and a good conscience

1 Tim 1:5
The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

To love god we need a pure heart, (which he gave -a new heart) a good concience (which he clears) and a sincere faith. (he is the author and finisher of our faith).

God bless and thanks for the discussion.

heneni
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:29 PM
preachergirl

This is a Fabulous Word! This Particular Word is very worth reading through fully! The flesh we have admitted is not willing (CK) to submit to all this reading, but this is a Rhema Word!

This Word did minister to me! It did not condemn me but gave me Life! My God brother...did you write this yourself? If you did then I am very sure you are in prayer! A man not in prayer did not write such a word as this.

You are a still, quiet voice here, and so is God! I have truly been "hearing" his voice...and you know "when" I hear it most? Not when I am here writing...but in the very early morning before I really wake up, when "My Mind" is finally quiet of all it's thinking!!! Then...I have have been "hearing" as if almost an audible voice that wakes me up!

And then I am knowing...this is the still, small voice of God...that is NOT heard when we are hearing ourself! Praise the Lord.

We "ALL" talk so much and hear ourself so much...me included...but we will hear God more when we stop hearing our own mind! Is there an Amen anywhere out there?

I say that we ALL make a new committment to set aside "1 HOUR" a day to pray with our bible opened in front of us! THEN...we will truly be "turned around" Bruce!

It is true Heneni...that we have a "heart" that is pure...that is not condemned, and that need not be condemned...The distinction is...our mortal life to be transformed into the state of that Perfect Heart. There is a distinction between hiding behind Grace and letting Grace consume us! And I do know that you know what I mean...you know very well....while on one hand I "Know" that Christ has made me free so that I am not guilty under the law....and on the other hand I know that I desperately need to fall on my face before God...Amen?

I'd say unless we are praying "atleast" 1 hour a day, we have less to say than we think we do! And trust me...this councel I give to me! And then...to me! Amen.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:11 AM
BruceG

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinghiswill View Post
Sin vs The Holiness of God

To understand grace, to understand Christ aright, we must understand what sin is. And how otherwise can we come to this understanding than through the light of God and his word?

Come with me to the beginning of the Bible. See there man created by God, after his image, and pronounced by his creator to be very good. Then sin entered, as rebellion against God. Adam was driven out of paradise and was brought along with the untold millions of following generations under curse and ruin. That was the work of sin. Here we learn its nature and power.

Come further on and see the ark of Noah on Ararat. So terrible had godlessness become among men, God saw nothing for it but to destroy man from off the earth. That was the work of sin.

Come once more with me to Sinai. God wished to establish his covenant with a new nation - with the people of Israel. But because of man's sinfulness, he could do this only by appearing in darkness and lightning so terrible that Moses said: 'I exceedingly fear and quake' (Heb. 12.2 1). And before the end of the giving of the law that awful message came: 'Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them' (Gal. 3. 10). It was sin which made that necessary.

Come once more with me, and this time to Calvary There see what sin is, and the hatred and enmity with which the world cast out and crucified the Son of God. There sin reached its climax. There Christ was, by God himself, made sin, and became a curse, as the only way to destroy sin. In the agony in which he prayed in Gethsemane, that he might not drink the terrible cup, and in the agony in which on the cross, in the deep darkness of desertion, he cried out: 'My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?' we obtain at least some faint idea of the curse and indescribable suffering which sin brings. If anything can make us hate and detest sin, it is Christ on the cross.

Come once again with me to the judgment seat of the Great Day, and see the bottomless pit of darkness wherein countless souls will be plunged under the sentence: 'Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire' (Matt. 25.41). Oh, will not these words soften our hearts and fill us with a never-to-beforgotten horror of sin, so that we may hate it with a perfect hatred?

And now is there anything else that can help us to understand what sin is? Yes, there is. Turn your eyes inward, and behold your own heart, and see sin there. Remember that all you have already seen of the hatefulness and godlessness of sin should teach you what sin in your own heart means - all the enmity against God, all the ruin of men, all of its inner nature of hatefulness, lie hidden in the sin you have committed, guilt of every transgression against God. And when you remember that you are a child of God, and yet commit sin and allow it sometimes to fulfill its lusts, is it not fitting that you should cry out with shame: 'Woe is me, because of my sin'? 'Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, 0 Lord' (Luke 5:8).

One great power of sin is that it blinds men so that they do not recognise its true character. Even the Christian himself finds an excuse in the thought that he can never be perfect and that daily sin is a necessity. He is so accustomed to the thought of sinning that he has almost lost the power and ability of mourning over sin. And yet there can be no real progress in grace apart from an increased consciousness of the sin and guilt of every transgression against God. And there cannot be a more important question than this: 'How can 1 regain the lost tenderness of conscience and become prepared really to offer to God the sacrifice of a broken heart?'

Scripture teaches us the way. Let the Christian remember what God thinks about sin - the hatred with which his holiness bums against it, the solemn sacrifice which he made to conquer sin, and deliver us from it. Let him tarry in God's presence till his holiness shines upon him, and he cries out with Isaiah: 'Woe is me! for I am undone' (Isa. 6.5).

Let him remember the cross, and what the love of Christ had to endure there, through the unspeakable pain which sin caused him; and let him ask if this will not teach him to hearken to the voice which says: 'Oh, do not this abominable thing which 1 hate' (Jer. 44.4). Let him take time, so that the blood and love of the cross may exercise their full influence on him, and let him think of sin as nothing less than giving his hand to Satan and to his power. Is not this a terrible result of our prayerlessness, and of our short and hasty tarrying before God - that the true knowledge of sin is almost lost?

Let the believer think not only of what redemption has cost Christ, but also of the fact that Christ is offered to him, by the Holy Spirit, as a gift of inconceivable grace, through whom divine forgiveness and purification and renewing have taken possession of him; and let him ask himself with what return such love should be repaid. If only time were taken to tarry in God's presence and ask such questions, the Spirit of God would accomplish his work of conviction of sin in us and would teach us to take an entirely new standpoint, and would give us a new view of sin. The thought would begin to arise in our hearts that we have in very deed been redeemed, so that in the power of Christ we may live every day as partners in the great victory which Christ obtained over sin on the cross, and manifest it in our walk.

What think you? Do you not begin to see that the sin of prayerlessness has had a more terrible effect than you at first supposed? It is because of this hasty and superficial converse with God that the sense of sin is so weak and that no motives have power to help you to hate and flee from sin as you ought. Nothing, nothing except the hidden, humble, constant fellowship with God can teach you, as a child of God, to hate sin as God wants you to hate it. Nothing, nothing but the constant nearness and unceasing power of the living Christ can make it possible for you rightly to understand what sin is and to detest it. And without this deeper understanding of sin, there will be no thought of appropriating the victory which is made possible for you in Christ Jesus, and will be wrought in you by the Spirit.

0 my God, cause me to know my sin and teaching me to tarry before thee and to wait on thee till thy Spirit causes something of thy holiness to rest upon me! 0 my God, cause me to know my sin, and let this drive me to listen to the promise: 'He that abideth in him sinneth not,' and to expect the fulfillment from Thee!

The Holiness of God

It has often been said that the conception of sin and of the holiness of God has been lost in the Church. In the inner chamber we have the place where we may team again how to give God's holiness the position it should have in our faith and life. If you do not know how to spend half an hour in prayer, take up the subject of God's holiness. Bow before him. Give yourself time, and give God also time, that he and you may come into touch with one another. It is a great work, but one fraught with great blessing.

If you wish to strengthen yourself in the practice of this holy presence, take up the holy word. Take, for instance, the book of Leviticus and notice how God seven times gives the command: 'Ye shall be holy, for I am holy' (11.44, 45; 19.2; 20.7, 26; 21.8; 22.32). Still more frequent is the expression: 'I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.' This great thought is taken over into the New Testament. Peter says (1 Pet. 1. 15, 16): 'Be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, Be ye holy; for 1 am holy.' Paul writes in his first epistle (1 Thess. 3.13; 4.7; 5.24): 'he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness.... God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness... Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.'

Nothing but the knowledge of God, as the holy one, will make us holy. And how are we to obtain that knowledge of God, save in the inner chamber? It is a thing utterly impossible unless we take time and allow the holiness of God to shine on us. How can any man on earth obtain intimate knowledge of another man of remarkable wisdom, if he does not associate with him, and place himself under his influence? And how can God himself sanctify us, if we do not take time to be brought under the power of the glory of his holiness? Nowhere can we get to know the holiness of God, and come under its influence and power, save in the-inner chamber. It has been well said: 'No man can expect to make progress in holiness who is not often and long alone with God.'

And what now is this holiness of God? It is the highest and most glorious and most all-embracing of all the attributes of God. Holiness is the most profound word in the Bible. It is a word that is at home in heaven. Both the Old and New Testaments tell us this. Isaiah heard the seraphs with veiled faces cry out: 'Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts' (6.3). John heard the four living creatures say: 'Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty' (Rev. 4. 8). This is the highest expression of God's glory in heaven, by beings who live in his immediate presence and bow low before him. And dare we imagine that we, by thinking, and reading, and bearing, can understand or become partakers of the holiness of God? What folly! Oh, that we might begin to thank God that we have a place in the inner chamber, a place where we can be alone with him, and take time for the prayer: 'Let thy holiness, 0 Lord, shine more and more into our hearts, that they may become holy.'

And let our hearts be deeply ashamed of our prayerlessness, through which we have made it impossible for God to impart his holiness to us. Let us beseech God fervently to forgive us this sin, and to allure us by his heavenly grace, and to strengthen us to have fellowship with him, the holy God.

I have said that the meaning of the words, 'The holiness of God', is not easily expressed. But we may begin by saying that they imply the unspeakable aversion and hatred with which God regards sin. And if you wish to understand what that means, remember that he preferred to see his Son die, rather than that sin should reign. Think of the Son of God, who gave up his life rather than act in the least matter against the will of the Father. Still further, he had such a hatred of sin that he preferred to die rather than that men should be held in its power. That is something of the holiness of God, which is a pledge that he will do everything for us - for you and me - to deliver us from sin. Holiness is the fire of God that will consume sin in us and make us holy sacrifices, pure and acceptable before him. It was for this reason that the Spirit came down as fire. He is the Spirit of God's holiness, the Spirit of sanctification in us.

Oh, think over the holiness of God, and bow in lowliness before him, till your heart is filled with the assurance of what the holy one will do for you. Take a week, if necessary, to read and re-read the words of God on this great truth, till your heart is brought under the conviction: 'This is the glory of the inner chamber, to converse with God the holy one; to bow down in deep humility and shame before him, because we have so despised him and his love through our prayerlessness.' There we shall receive the assurance that he will again take us into-fellowship with himself. No one can expect to understand and receive the holiness of God who is not often and long alone with God.

Someone has said that the holiness of God is the expression of the unspeakable distance by which he in his righteousness is separated from us, and yet also of the unspeakable nearness in which he in his love longs to hold fellowship with us and dwell in us. Bow in humble reverence, as you think of the immeasurable distance between you and God. Bow in childlike confidence in the unspeakable desire of his love to be united with you in the deepest intimacy; and reckon most confidently on him to reveal something of his holiness to the soul which thirst after him and waits upon him and is quiet before him.

Notice how the two sides of the holiness of God are united in the cross. So terrible was the aversion and anger of God against our sin that Christ was left in the thick darkness, because God, when sin was laid upon him, had to hide his face from him. And yet so deep was the love of God toward us and he so desired to be united to us that he spared not his Son but gave him over to unutterable sufferings, that so he might receive us, in union with Christ, into his holiness, and press us to his heart as his beloved children. It was of this suffering that our Lord Jesus said: 'I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth' (John 17.19). Thus he is become of God our sanctification, and we are holy in him.

I beseech you, think not little of the grace that you have a holy God who longs to make you holy. Think not little of the voice of God which calls you to give time to him in the stillness of the inner chamber, so that he may cause his holiness to rest on you. Let it be your business every day, in the secrecy of the inner chamber, to meet the holy God. You will be repaid for the trouble it may cost you. The reward will be sure and rich. You will learn to hate sin, and to regard it as accursed and conquered. 'Me new nature will give you a horror of sin. The living Jesus, the holy God, will, as conqueror, be your power and strength; and you will begin to believe the great promise contained in 1 Thessalonians 5.23, 24: 'The very God of peace sanctify you wholly... Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.'
Keith, an amazing post, full of deep truth. Thank you, it blessed me. Preachergirl told me it would and she was right. Thank you Kim as well.

Might I suggest you split it intoi two different posts, the second on the holiness of God alone? It is worthy of it. One other suggestion and this too only a suggestion concerning readability, is the font size, as bigger fonts draw more into to read, and this post is most assuredly worthy of asll here being blessed by its reading. I certainly was.

bruce
Old 08-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
Keith, an amazing post, full of deep truth. Thank you, it blessed me. Preachergirl told me it would and she was right. Thank you Kim as well.

Might I suggest you split it intoi two different posts, the second on the holiness of God alone? It is worthy of it. One other suggestion and this too only a suggestion concerning readability, is the font size, as bigger fonts draw more into to read, and this post is most assuredly worthy of asll here being blessed by its reading. I certainly was.

bruce
Thank you all. My wife and I worked on this one together and set it out there trying to figure what to post and what not to post. I wasn't sure if breaking it up was wise or not because it all just flowed out....ya know?
The font size i can fix though. We have a few more posts we are working on as we are just shareing out of our heart and out of what is being shared here in Utah.
I feel our calling is to equip the saints of God for good works to help settle internal struggles so that each one can in love share this 'Good News' we have and this great salvation we have been give through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Again thanks
1Jn 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:07 AM
preachergirl

Equipping the Saints...very good! True ministry...will be truly rewarded. Thank you and God thanks you, and your wife, for such effort.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Above is a very outstanding part of your post, DHW. Thank you and great praise be to God!

Holiness is the first beautiful manifestation of the God through the Spirit. That is why it is said "... in the beauty of Holiness". In that beauty must we worship, of that beauty must we praise, of that beauty are we born of God.

Holiness is not necessarily a manifestation of sinlessness. Rather, it is the beautiful manifestation of both the sanctification and fear of God that, of course, are devoid of sin. Our walking in the sanctification and fear of God is our worship of God and birth. God's judgments in holiness that we receive, starting with the righteousness of faith and then unto peace and joy of grace, is called the kingdom of God.

Both "things", which are sanctification and fear of God, are gifts from God. So, we worship Him with the worship He gives us.

A believer born of God is holy by nature. Holiness, therefore, is the onset of perfection... but the salvation of God is a greater crown.

Holiness is our gift for worship by which we are sanctified and by which we experience the fear of God (wherein is the reverence of God without desolation, destruction, anguish or distress). Holiness is perfected (made complete) in the fear of God.

It is true that holiness is knowledge based... but, wisdom and understanding are greater in the knowledge of God.

It is true that holiness is worked out by the power of His glory occassioning the Spirit of grace.

It is also true that in the "inner chamber" dwells the holiness of God... for the Spirit (God) dwells and manifests therein.

Our prayers (of faith) and supplications (of grace) are not the same as being in the presence of God... for our prayers and supplications go up to His presence (but do not constitute His presence) in the mountain of holiness wherein they (prayers and supplications) are sanctified and heard/answered in the fear of God (wherein is the reverence of God without desolation, destruction, anguish or distress).

In any or all of His gifts of sanctification, fear, wisdom and understanding do we enter into and abide in His presence. Specifically, with His gifts of sanctification and fear are we made holy.

Last edited by CI : 08-02-2009 at 04:13 PM.