Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > What is Christianity?

Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Representative Clergy

Default What is Christianity?

Since I mistook another thread to be discussing this subject, and it is discussing something else, nonetheless, this question is of utmost importance in a forum like this.

Most here would agree that "Christian" would in some way apply to those who seek the Lord and seek His ways...

But what is the ESSENCE of Christianity? Just say what you think--"no holds barred" (minus bad language, etc.). Say what you think--not what you think in relation to others--not what you think is not right with the position of others--what you think. Just please no one person drown out the position of others by overposting or by criticizing. At least let all the other posters get out at least one post without any comments on it, so that we can get as many responses to this important question without "fear" of being "attacked" so to speak. Thank you in advance.

So, what is Christianity?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Daniel

Default Re: What is Christianity?

Im sorry to give such a short answer. But I dont see where anything else falls in.

Christianity is Christ.It is the belief in Christ and only Christ. It is to believe Christ is the way and there is no other way. It is to live for Christ and for no other.

To me anything outside of this is exactly that..outside

seeking the Lord is not Christianity. We know that none seek God. Christians are those who have found (or been found by to be sure) Christ and follow him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
Since I mistook another thread to be discussing this subject, and it is discussing something else, nonetheless, this question is of utmost importance in a forum like this.

Most here would agree that "Christian" would in some way apply to those who seek the Lord and seek His ways...

But what is the ESSENCE of Christianity? Just say what you think--"no holds barred" (minus bad language, etc.). Say what you think--not what you think in relation to others--not what you think is not right with the position of others--what you think. Just please no one person drown out the position of others by overposting or by criticizing. At least let all the other posters get out at least one post without any comments on it, so that we can get as many responses to this important question without "fear" of being "attacked" so to speak. Thank you in advance.

So, what is Christianity?
Ok, I believe that being a christian mean you believe that Jesus was the son of the living God. I believe he is Lord and savour. I believe their is no other way to heaven but through him. I believe that a christian and christianity is following the teachings of the new testament and their in is our covenant with God. I believe God comes to us in the form of the trinity and you know my thoughts on that. I believe when you confess your sins to Jesus and ask forgiveness for those sins you are forgiven. I believe that christianity is of the highest rightousness of all religions in this world because being a christian is being like Jesus and he was the rightousness one. I do not believe in sacraments and believe that we are suppose to seek out the heavenly understanding because it is the higher rightousness. I believe all the denomations of christianity make up the whole of his body.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Knight of the Forum

Even the word "Christianity" is a problem. We all know that our languages are constantly changing. Most people in the United States if asked would say they are Christians, but if that were really true, in the sense they were all striving with all of their being to submit to God and to become Christ-like, the world in which we live would be very different than it is.

Jesus should be the essence. But.. what does that mean? Is not Jesus the Word of God made flesh? His flesh reflected always the thoughts, the manners, the love, the ways of His Father. How many people do we know in any church group or outside of any church group who reflect anything close to that or how many do we know who are moving closer to that? So where do people go for help when the preachers and teachers and churches they know are not even attempting to move closer to God and not are not teaching others to do that.

If they are sincere and ask God He will guide them to a place or a person. Can we get to Him alone? I did not, but I was never in a place where someone didn't know more about God than I did. But... that was when I was a natural child. Things have changed since then. When I was a boy, very few would seriously have considered that the United States was other than a Christian nation. It certainly appears to me to be moving away from God and His Word, and the rate of movement in the wrong direction seems to be gaining momentum.

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." Acts 4:12

What is that name? Many will say Jesus or Christ, but very few in the United States among so-called Christian have even an remote idea of what it means to be saved by the that name. They know the rituals or the rote answers of their parents or their denominations or even of their ministers, but their hearts do not know.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator

I think Christianity teaches how to come closer to God... Christianity is the truth... and it's definitely a "revealed" religion. The more we live according to the truth (Christianity), the more we appreciate it....

Faith leads to trust and trust to revelation & closeness with God. From there, the smoke clears and you find your purpose i.e. serving God... and from then on your life experiences will continue to confirm the wisdom of our faith... and the joy of confirmation is awesome!

Last edited by Mark : 06-04-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Daniel

Maybe a better question to ask would be ....where did you get the information from to come up with your conclusion of what christianity is?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Christianity: "A monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior."

source
Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
MMari

Christianity is about the cross. Without the cross there would be no christianity! Everything else written in the scriptures, good works... follows.

Galations 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:34 PM

Christianity is the embodiment of God's plan of rescue for His created son. It is all God's known future family as they journey through time towards their final deliverance. It is a return to the true foundation and the true vine. It is everything that will survive the coming judgment.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Heneni

I think many of the answers given capture the essence of christianity well.

I would add the following to it. This is what christians are about.....

We do not acknowledge allegiance to any human government. We recognize but one King and Lawgiver, one Judge and Ruler of mankind. We are sujourners in the world; our mission is to all mankind. We are ambassadors for a kingdom not from here, but represented on this earth, by us. We love the land of our nativity, only as we love all other lands. The interests and rights of our own people are not dearer to us than those of the whole human race. Hence we can allow no appeal to patriotism to revenge any national insult or injury.

It works for me.

Heneni