True2Ourselves
Already a member? login
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
  
+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > What is Essential?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Soulheart3's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,012
Default Re: What is Essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
I really did not intend or desire to discuss the trinity itself. In both responses thus far the replies have homed in on that particular doctrine. I gave that only as an example.

What I am really looking for is what does anyone consider to be essential, if anything, in order to be a follower of Christ, a follower of God, a brother or sister in the Lord, etc.

Examples might be water baptism, baptism of the Holy Ghost, speaking in tongues, repentance, participation in bread and wine communion, foot washing, etc.
Sorry, I misunderstood. For me, its someone who has surrendered thier will to the Lord through repentence of sins, through the acknowledgement of Christ as the payment for thier sins, and to turn around thier life and begin trying to walk the path the Lord has set before them. Thats my basic belief on what makes someone a brother/sister. They dont have to be right in accordance with everything I now beleive, for I didnt always believe everything I now believe, hence, I am fallible, so I certainly dont think others should be infallible. The Lord leads different people down different paths also. The road may be narrow, but our paths are not always the
same, some are sent in one direction and another in another. Each path has its own challenges and requires different tactics to tackle the problems. Paul didnt use the same method of sharing christ with the athenians as he did with the jews or probably others.

That being said, if I was shepparding a group of believers (leading a bible study would be included) and someone told me with confidence that the Holy Spirit was just for 1st century christians and not modern day christians, I would probably have to do something to address the problem if I felt they might try to turn away others from the study who were new to the faith and more easily swayed by someone who is confident and having a semblance of faith. I would probably first try to help the person see how important the Holy Spirit is to the Christian life, and if they couldnt see that, I would tell the person he would be free to stay but that I was going to address the matter the next bible study and probably have others who agree with me set in with the study so that it woudnt seem as if it was my word against his.

-Brad
__________________
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Amadeus's Avatar
Knight of the Forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,171
Default Re: What is Essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
Amadeus, if I may ask, what part of the Trinity do you doubt? Not sure why they ended the coversation with you. Maybe we can pick it up here with people who are not so quick to cut off the conversation.
Not on this thread please. I do not wish to derail my own thread. Start another thread on the trinity and I will join you on it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Amadeus's Avatar
Knight of the Forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,171
Default Re: What is Essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFinishedYet View Post
I use to have a long list of "essentials" as to what made me a Christian... I've never been too good on judging someone else's walk. But now, I have very little that I point to as essential in defining me as Christian. I say God is, Christ is, the Spirit is. I have no idea in regards to all those lovely teachings on the isms, wafer or bread, wine or grape juice, communion all the time or rarely, immerse, sprinkle, or baptize at all, tongues, tithe, .... none "essential" to me now. Faith, hope, love: essential. Asking someone to leave a study, church, fellowship, prayer circle because we hold different things as "essential", no. IMO, all are welcome to God's presence and the Spirit will reveal to us in His time the various truths that will define His followers.
Where you are now is much closer to where I am in the Lord now sister. And... He is not finished with me yet!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Amadeus's Avatar
Knight of the Forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,171
Default Re: What is Essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I wonder what someone would think about the trinity or other issues in the bible if they never heard a sermon or were never taught in a denominationally bias bible study.

I am a trinitarian but i would not kick you out of a bible study for disagreeing with me. I would use it as an oppurtunity to discuss my views.

Either way, if they kicked you out its apparent they are more comfortable in their little box then expanding the kingdom.
This is all I was hoping for in those Bible studies. The brother I mentioned and myself have studies in my home twice a week. We'd like to have more people, but very few Christians are interested in more than what they get in "church".

The church groups that do have Bible studies are not usually open discussions, but rather directed discussions and if you get too far off the topic, you are found to be out of line. That is why I am here on this site as often as I am. [I attend a Sunday service and the two Bible studies per week I already mentioned, but I very frequently wish there were more.]

This forum allows what most forums frown on or even ban. Some subjects are not up for discussion unless you are willing to soak up and gradually be converted to someone else's way of thinking. The only thing I want is more of God's Truth. Many individuals and groups think they have it or act as if they have it, but like me they only have a measure of it. More of it is not like to come by tying yourself to pre-conceived ideas.

Oh, I have my own pre-conceived ideas as well, I know, but I really am willing to listen if the person's spirit is not so full of himself that anything from God is nearly invisible.

Thank you Daniel!

John,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Amadeus's Avatar
Knight of the Forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,171
Default Re: What is Essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
Amadeus, if I may ask, what part of the Trinity do you doubt? Not sure why they ended the coversation with you. Maybe we can pick it up here with people who are not so quick to cut off the conversation.
Short answer to the question: The Holy Ghost, but no further discussion on it on this thread!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Linsinbigler's Avatar
Representative Clergy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,150
Default Re: What is Essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Short answer to the question: The Holy Ghost, but no further discussion on it on this thread!
Amadeus, no problem. Thank you for answering.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Amadeus's Avatar
Knight of the Forum
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,171
Default Re: What is Essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood. For me, its someone who has surrendered thier will to the Lord through repentence of sins, through the acknowledgement of Christ as the payment for thier sins, and to turn around thier life and begin trying to walk the path the Lord has set before them. Thats my basic belief on what makes someone a brother/sister. They dont have to be right in accordance with everything I now beleive, for I didnt always believe everything I now believe, hence, I am fallible, so I certainly dont think others should be infallible. The Lord leads different people down different paths also. The road may be narrow, but our paths are not always the
same, some are sent in one direction and another in another. Each path has its own challenges and requires different tactics to tackle the problems. Paul didnt use the same method of sharing christ with the athenians as he did with the jews or probably others.

That being said, if I was shepparding a group of believers (leading a bible study would be included) and someone told me with confidence that the Holy Spirit was just for 1st century christians and not modern day christians, I would probably have to do something to address the problem if I felt they might try to turn away others from the study who were new to the faith and more easily swayed by someone who is confident and having a semblance of faith. I would probably first try to help the person see how important the Holy Spirit is to the Christian life, and if they couldnt see that, I would tell the person he would be free to stay but that I was going to address the matter the next bible study and probably have others who agree with me set in with the study so that it woudnt seem as if it was my word against his.

-Brad
Your reactions sound like they are not far from my own. For long time I was on another very large Internet forum that allowed quite a bit of open discussion but the Way of Christ always being very important in background. I was able to discuss things freely with most people, but I guess because of me and a few others who had what the majority or the owners considered to very unorthodox beliefs, the rules were changed.

I was denied access to the sub-forums where I had been most all of the time for months because I would not agree to the new forum creed. A couple of the members there in discussion with me told me to simply not discuss the anything in the topics with which I could not agree without reservation. I said that I could not do that, because that would be, in my own opinion, lying to people there, to myself and to God.

It was not long before God led me to this forum, which is by far the best one I have found in much wandering and searching the Internet. Glory to God!

I know that the end of time for easy access is near now. Soon I guess we will find that even the freedom here will be removed, not because the owners/moderators will change their minds, but because the laws of man are moving in that direction. I plan to stay with God no matter what the cost. I cannot do this alone, but for God all things are possible. I only need to stay on His side. Glory to His name!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 PM
christkid777's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,081
Default Re: What is Essential?

Belief in God, acceptance that Jesus Christ is His only begotten son, repentance from all sin, baptism in the name of Jesus Christ, the infilling of the Holy Ghost, walk in the way with humility and acceptance of others who are called as you were.

Of course developing a bunch of good habits like praying, fasting, reading the Word and sharing with others are also good.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-04-2009, 10:21 PM
MMari
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What is Essential?

Mark 12: 30-31 'And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength." This is the first commandment.
" And the second, like it, is this: " You shall love your neighbor as yourself." There is no other commandment greater than these.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-04-2009, 10:29 PM
christkid777's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,081
Default Re: What is Essential?

Show off! lol
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


true2ourselves
 
 
 

Flashcoms

You need to upgrade your Flash Player.

Version 8 or higher is required.

download from http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29