Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Faith Is Not All You Need In Christianity

Old 05-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Default Faith Is Not All You Need In Christianity

“Skepticism is the beginning of true faith.”~ Oscar Wilde

Faith:

1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.
3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.

You see them all the time. They have their crosses, their statues, and their pamphlets. What they are selling is happiness, hope, and eternal life in the hereafter.

Christians, claiming that they have the truth, the light, and the hope for the world. These, so called believers, are ready to hand you a bible, but ask for some advice in some other way, and, quite often, you get disappointed. They will tell you about their religion and why you should believe as they do. Funny thing is, if you tell them you are a believer, half the time they will tell you what is wrong with “Your Faith in G-D.”

"In Christianity, neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point.”~Friedrich Nietzsche

In this day and age, everyone has a belief, a creed, and an agenda. Can a believer truly be an effective witness with out using obtusive and intrinsic words like grace, faith, holiness, righteousness, and redemption? I am finding that amongst most people, Christians use these words either improperly, or the person who is being witnessed to have no idea about the concepts of these words.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, we are dealing with lots of people who are antagonistic towards Christianity and any other religion that believes in G-D. Can you really blame those whose faith is limited to what they experience?

In the past, "trying to teach G-Dly ways" to children has lead toward bitterness and resentment for the church. The enforcement of faith or belief through physical punishment, is an example of how religion justifies and accepts child abuse. Children who have heard "Spare the rod, spoil the child, and “I am going to beat the truth into you" have grown up into adults believing that there is no G-D, there is no truth, there is not a real church outside of politically motivated groups.

Then you have to consider the actions and attitudes of the adults associated with the “Church.” It is a given that most people believe that it is wrong to swindle, rape, or murder. Yet, within the church, these atrocities are hidden “for the sake of the infallible Church!” This attitude is not the worst part of the indoctrination process. Many people claim to believe that the despicable things that happen to people are for the “Greater Glory Of G-D,” it is part of G-D's plan for the world or he would not allow it. The problem is that predetermination destroys the concepts of self determination and free will, which G-D has bestowed on every human.

For those of you that think that Rape, Child Molestation, Stealing, and Misrepresentation are all for G-D's greater glory, I have one thing to say. READ YOUR BIBLE IN ITS ENTIRETY. No where does it say to conduct evil for the good of the Lord. In fact, most of these sins would have gotten you killed, even just 150 years ago. G-D has given man free will. G-D allows man to conduct his life as man sees fit. Just because G-D allows something does not mean G-D condones the action.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”~Mahatma Gandhi

These attitudes I am describing only reinforces my belief that most G-Dly people do not meditate, question, or wrestle with their religion, like they should. G-D has never forbidden the questioning of him. It is by our questions that truly allows G-D to manifest himself.....

Many may memorize holy scripture, however that does not mean they understand the words they are memorizing. Whether it is in prayer, public recitation, or active preaching, the fruits bear witness of their personal beliefs and spiritual life, outside of their religion.

The Bible outlines very specifically what it takes to be a well seasoned believer.

"13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place,

15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.

17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."~Ephesians 6:10-18 NIV

As believers, we must be prepared like soldiers. We must have our armor and weapon ready at all times.

We may be protected by the "Shield of Faith", so that uncertainty and doubt does not pierce our hearts or our souls.

But we must make sure that the "Sword Of The Spirit" is sharp, one edge needs be sharped with the wisdom and knowledge in the Bible, but the other must be sharpened with the real world wisdom and knowledge. To slice through the confusion that many use scientific belief and factual opinion to lead ourselves and others astray.

That the "Belt of the Truth" is tight around our waist, so none might question our honesty and intention.

With in the "Helmet of Salvation and Breastplate of Righteousness " "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."~Psalm 119:11 We must keep the knowledge of the word in our hearts and our heads. For though a shield is protection, it will not protect from everything. We may get attacked form the sides and behind, from above and below, when we peer from behind to see the field that we are fighting on.

Our feet must be "Shod with the Gospel of Peace." I do not believe that G-D wants extremism and fanatical behaviors exhibited for the rest of the world. By trying to spread his message, we should not attack others beliefs directly, unless being specifically asked from someone seeking our point of view about their belief.

“Of all religions, Christianity is without a doubt the one that should inspire tolerance most, although, up to now, the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men”~Voltaire

We must use Jesus as the example for our lives. Jesus was able to justify every question from within his heart, using Old Testament, and other Apocryphal Hebrew Texts at the time, to answer and confound the Sanhedrin.

I honestly believe that we must all live by faith, but that is only part of the "Armor Of G-D." We must be prepared for any who may be presented before us in search of truth, for their questions and their skepticism.

“Religions die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead religions”~ Oscar Wilde

How do we, as believers, prepare our armor for battle, or have we neglected some of its pieces?

Last edited by DanielSlack : 05-24-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:31 PM
CatholicCrusader

Default Re: Faith Is Not All You Need In Christianity

James 2:24
You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
James 2:24
You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
If we have the faith necessary to follow the commandments, we then receive the attendant blessings that prove that our faith was not misplaced. At that point, faith is not required, as we have knowledge.

It definitely takes more than faith.

James, Chapter 2:

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 AM
CatholicCrusader

Do you believe works are meritorious?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
Do you believe works are meritorious?
For me, it is not about works being meritorius. For me, it is just about doing what is right, for the sake of good.

I believe that when we are judged, and G-D looks at the nether regions of our soul, of our heart, of our body, he will judge us according not just actions, but intentions.

I am a firm believer that if we do not do G-D's work outside of the intention of doing it because it is his command, if we do it seeking some sort of reward, or if we do it because of the fear of judgement or hell. G-D will look at that.

The word was put here on Earth to show the limits G-D has put to what is acceptable in G-D's eye, when it be in the body, the heart, or in the mind. I am a firm believer that G-D has blessed us all with a basic understanding and definition of how we SHOULD treat each other, how we should live our life, how we should worship him.

But society has continued to evolve in, or inspite of, the corruption of men's hearts. In this society the propensity to do evil has become just as acceptable as doing good. The expectations of unrighteousness from salesmen, politicians, bankers, anyone, has become the norm and we are shocked when it is not there. Without these limits and laws written down that clearly defines what is good, what is G-Dly, what is right, and what is harmful, then Good and evil are just a passing fads, based upon a man made dogma.

The only merit I guess is three fold, to try to improve the world I live in, to try to improve myself, and to worship G-D through the previous merits I stated. With out G-D in their, it to, would be just a pasing whim for me as well. Ultimately, whatever G-D decides to do with me on Judgement day is up to him.

Last edited by DanielSlack : 05-25-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:03 AM
CatholicCrusader

See what you think of this:
Catechism of the Catholic Church - Grace and justification