Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Missionary Work: Its not about spreading the message!!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 PM

Default Missionary Work: Its not about spreading the message!!

The Great Commission, is it to spread the Message of G-D to those who have no access, OR Is it a mobilization of troops for a political war on the hearts of men?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true,
by the wise as false,
and by the ruler as useful." ~ Seneca the Younger

I would like to start my article with some facts:

Christian mission has been widely defined as that which is designed "to form a viable indigenous church-planting and world changing movement." This definition is motivated by a theologically imperative theme of the Bible to make God known, introducing him to cultures that have yet heard of Jesus Christ. The definition is claimed to summarize the acts of Jesus' ministry, which is taken as a model motivation for all ministries.

Proselytism is the practice of attempting to convert people to another opinion and, particularly, another denomination or religion. Today, the connotations of the word proselytism are often negative.

About half of the population of the world, today claims Christianity in one form or another:

Catholicism: 1,229 million
Protestantism: 751 million
Eastern Orthodoxy: 260 million
Oriental Orthodoxy: 78 Million
Anglicanism: 77 Million

What right do we have sending missions trips to third world predominantly Catholic countries who already know of G-D? Why do we build and feed houses for people thousands of mile away, yet barely lift a finger to the poor in our own land? How is it we can send food to Mexico or Africa, but only send bibles to the starving right down the street?

Unfortunately, I have observed mission trips to Central America have become a form of entertainment that feeds the "holier than thou" attitude amongst the congregations. For example a one week mission trip to Costa Rica may cost $1000 per person, how many people could that feed across the street? How many children would that tutor? Why are we repairing a house many miles away, but not repairing the house of the lonely widower who has not family and has fallen in disrepair.

I Challenge Everyone who feeds a starving child in Africa, Everyone who goes on mission trips, Everyone Who believes in G-D, to step out of their comfort zone and do your mission trip in your own cities and towns. Get to know your neighbors! Help the Needy, Feed the Starving, Tutor the Children, Heal the Sick, not in the name of G-D, forcing religion down the throats of those you are giving help to. Christians going on deputization trips around the country so they can go "preach the gospel" to foreign lands who already have a dominant form of Christianity.

G-D's light will shine through our example. People will see HIS good in us and ask us. We should not do good works constantly saying this is for G-D to the recipient. That tends to cause people to believe that they are paying for our giving by quietly listening to our sales pitch.

One example is "mission" trips to Mexico. Mexico is practically all Catholic. Therefore, what is called a "mission," should be called "proselytizing" and therefore hypocritical. There are lots of protestant "missionaries" who wrongly think that Catholics are not Christians and travel to Central & South America to bring the Gospel to Catholics. That is hypocrisy in the extreme, not to mention somewhat offensive.

I have done many missions trips in the past. I have gone down to Mexico with a Church, then driven down to Mexico with a friend. I would stop and check out the places we have done missions trips to and found that quite often where we stopped providing other churches have picked up. In fact, the same stories told to me on the mission trip were also told to me as a civilian in order to gain anything I had to offer (they mistakenly thought I was with the church that was providing for them at the time). I also discovered that the bibles we handed out were tossed away into a garbage dump.

The problem is that, as a foreigner, we do not really have a means of accountability. For me, it turned out that the single woman I was helping was actually married, had been married for ten years, but was saying that she was single and had no husband to collect benefits from missionaries going to her village. The reality of missionary work has an average estimated 32% discrepancy of funds that is unaccounted for. Further more, distance prevent local oversight by the churches providing funds in the first place.

Another Issue I have with Christian Missions is what I call religious blackmail. Instead of offering to do good works in the name of the G-D, because they are good and in his will. We had forced large numbers of those professing already some form of Christianity, Catholic or otherwise, to sit through our presentation like some sort of Time Share Apartment Salesman.

I feel that if we are going to go to a country to do good, we do good in G-D's name. We should not force individuals to sit through the presentation before we give them the help they need. Not everyone who is being witnessed to on a mission trip is not saved, some of them feel that they would not be able to get the help they need if they said they were.

I have seen two examples of this first hand. One was a man was turned away from the food distribution because he said that he already had a bible and was a Christian. Another was because a woman said she did not believe in G-D but needed the food for her children.

So tell me, is it worth causing people to lie about there belief and faith? I go on trips now to just do good, to show an honest G-Dly example of what is supposed to be done. If anyone asks why I do this, then I tell them of G-D and his plans for my life. I then ask them would they like to know more, or be a part of the plan as well.

The food I give them feeds them temporarily, the example I set may last a lifetime.

"When the Missionaries came to Africa, they had the Bible and we had the land. They said, 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them, we had the Bible and they had the land."~Bishop Desmond Tutu

Last edited by DanielSlack : 05-18-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Heneni

Default Re: Missionary Work: Its not about spreading the message!!

That last quote is very good.

Brother, you must be familiar with the scripture that says even if we give up our bodies to be burnt and have no love we gain nothing. If the poor recieve food, what do they gain? Food for the body yes, but what about food for the soul? If we feed the hungry because we feel we should, is that credited as love? Do we gain anything? Do they gain anything eternal or everlasting?

Then there is the scripture that says that a man has no greater love than the one who lays down his for his friends. Contradiction in the bible? No, just a different perspective.

Humanitarian efforts and missionary work seems to have two different perspectives. When we look in the bible for an example of people who gave cheerfully to others we can look at Corinthians 8: 1-4

Now, brethren, we wish to make known to you the GRACE of God which has been given in the churches of Macedonia.....they gave of their own accord, BEGGING us with much urgency for the FAVOR of participation in the support of the saints.

The key words in this passage is this THE GRACE OF GOD WHICH HAS BEEN GIVEN. Who is behind this great move of generosity through the church of Macedonia? Who is the mastermind behind the begging and urgency to give? GOD is. God gave the grace, which overflowed in their hearts and they, even though they were poor, gave according to their ability and beyond their ability. This was all Gods doing.

So since this was the work of god in this church, it is credited as an act of love. If they did the giving out of a feeling of ought or should, it would not have been credited as an act of love and therefore they would not have gained anything (joy) neither would those that they gave to have gained anything. (joy and grace)

Therefore everything that we do for the sake of others must be due to GOD instagating it.

Also, this giving was to other churches. There is a difference between humanitarian efforts who feed the poor, whether they are church folk or not, without God working through them to do it. And then there is the giving of that which we have directly inspired by God. The one bears fruit, the other cannot.

Im not saying that God is only willing to give to those who are in his church. But god cannot let giving bear fruit, unless he is the one behind it. Why, because everything god does is perfect, and bears fruit.

Another interesting thing to note is the JOY that these people felt even though they were in deep poverty. And the joy they felt in giving. They were POOR yet they were exceedingly joyful to give! That kind of giving, giving from their lack cannot be anything but God inspired. They knew that the same grace that made their hearts overflow with joy, would make them self-suffient and able to give again even though they were poor!

So is missionary work not about spreading the message? The very foundation of missionary work is that god gives grace to the missionaries, who through their overflow of grace and joy that they feel in giving, gives. What do they give? Grace to others and love to others, (that is the message) and if god wants to give them anything else, that is his work to perform through them, so that the message wont be about food for the body, but food for the soul. Humanitarian efforts they say brings relief. The gospel brings far more than this, it brings grace and what does grace bring? The ability to be all sufficient. God is able to make all grace abound to them so that they in every circumstance have enough in turn to give for every good work. God gives us grace so that we can be self-suffient and to be able to GIVE. If we bring the poor food, we have not brought them grace and therefore no self-suffiency and no way to GIVE themselves. Therefore we have not blessed them. It is more blessed to give than it is to recieve. The poor are the ones recieving. That is not gods desire for them to simply recieve food, but to recieve GRACE which in turn will make them self-suffient and THEY will be able to give and be more blessed by giving than to recieve. The message of any missionary work in whatever form god does the work though them is all grounded in Him, and in the grace He gives them to perform it.

So therefore I consider any kind of giving that is inspired by God as wholly effective to bring to others the same ability to give in turn. Since GIVING is more blessed than to recieve. This is not just a message for the rich. But for the poor as well. As we can see in the churhc of macedonia, its not only more blessed to give than to recieve when you have enough, but even when you are poor.

God bless you
Heneni
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:49 AM

Missionary work IS about spreading the message of a FINISHED salvation provided by an offended but merciful God to those whom He knew before the foundation of the world, and to impart to them the true doctrine of God as passed down by Jesus to His apostles.

What it is NOT:

1. It is NOT about changing the world. The world is not going to change, it will always follow its own fallen course even in things spiritual;
2. It is NOT about church planting. We can have churches and churches but if the hearts of those who make up these churches have not been changed by the Holy Spirit, then we have organizations of people with their own agenda;
3. It is NOT about imposing a church's or a religion's beliefs, doctrines, and practices on government, or society. It is about teaching God's people, and them only, about living IN the world, but not being OF the world, and it is about pointing God's people to their Savior and only Hope;
4. It is NOT about soul-winning, because no more souls can be won than Christ ALREADY won and redeemed unto the Father. It is not about converting souls, it is about TEACHING those who are already converted in heart and spirit and whom the Lord have prepared for the missionary.
5. It is NOT about the missionary, about how much sacrifice he is making, about how obedient he is to his Lord, and how much he lived a life for his Lord. The missionary is just as fallen as the convert.
It is about CHRIST, His obedience, His sacrifice, His glory.

Last edited by johnpaulpeter : 05-19-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM

I agree with the ideals of both of you, BUT if you watch TV Evangelists, if you listen to the way some pastors "sell" the concept of planting a church in a new country, they portray it as a means of "spreading the gospel to those who have not heard."

We also have to look at the example of the Good Samaritan:

If we speak of eternal life, and the way to it, in a careless manner, we take the name of God in vain. No one will ever love God and his neighbour with any measure of purity without the recognition of grace that is available to all mankind. The heart of man strives hard against these convictions. Christ gave a parable of a poor Jew in distress, saved by a good Samaritan. This poor man fell among thieves, who left him about to die of his wounds.

He was refused help by those who should have been his friends, and was cared for by a stranger, a Samaritan, from an unclean gentile nation.

It is truly sad to observe how selfishness governs all ranks; how many excuses men will make to avoid trouble or expense in relieving others. It is doubly sad how we tend to judge a person by what denomination they belong to, or how we believe they should believe. I feel, if we only coordinated our efforts with all churches in the area we wish to work, Catholic, Protestant, Episcopalian, then we can band together to spread a more complete message to the world. working hand in hand with our fellow believers, not against him to win a proselytizing battle The true Christian has the law of love written in his heart. The Spirit of Christ dwells in him; Christ's example is renewed in his soul.

The parable is a beautiful explanation of the law of loving our neighbour as ourselves, without regard to nation, party, or any other distinction. It also sets forth the kindness and love of G-d toward sinful, miserable men. The believer considers that G-D loved him and we should go and do likewise. There is not requirement to hear a religious message or the need to convert the faith of the Jew who is in need of help, the Samaritan simply showed G-D's love in his life by helping his brother who was in trouble with no strings attached. He took on the financial responsibility. He took on the personal responsibility. It is the duty of us all , in our places, and according to our ability, help, and relieve all that are in distress and necessity, not in accordance to spreading our faith, but in accordance TO OUR FAITH.

Last edited by DanielSlack : 05-19-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heneni View Post
That last quote is very good.

Brother, you must be familiar with the scripture that says even if we give up our bodies to be burnt and have no love we gain nothing. If the poor recieve food, what do they gain? Food for the body yes, but what about food for the soul? If we feed the hungry because we feel we should, is that credited as love? Do we gain anything? Do they gain anything eternal or everlasting?

Then there is the scripture that says that a man has no greater love than the one who lays down his for his friends. Contradiction in the bible? No, just a different perspective.

Humanitarian efforts and missionary work seems to have two different perspectives. When we look in the bible for an example of people who gave cheerfully to others we can look at Corinthians 8: 1-4

Now, brethren, we wish to make known to you the GRACE of God which has been given in the churches of Macedonia.....they gave of their own accord, BEGGING us with much urgency for the FAVOR of participation in the support of the saints.

The key words in this passage is this THE GRACE OF GOD WHICH HAS BEEN GIVEN. Who is behind this great move of generosity through the church of Macedonia? Who is the mastermind behind the begging and urgency to give? GOD is. God gave the grace, which overflowed in their hearts and they, even though they were poor, gave according to their ability and beyond their ability. This was all Gods doing.

So since this was the work of god in this church, it is credited as an act of love. If they did the giving out of a feeling of ought or should, it would not have been credited as an act of love and therefore they would not have gained anything (joy) neither would those that they gave to have gained anything. (joy and grace)

Therefore everything that we do for the sake of others must be due to GOD instagating it.

Also, this giving was to other churches. There is a difference between humanitarian efforts who feed the poor, whether they are church folk or not, without God working through them to do it. And then there is the giving of that which we have directly inspired by God. The one bears fruit, the other cannot.

Im not saying that God is only willing to give to those who are in his church. But god cannot let giving bear fruit, unless he is the one behind it. Why, because everything god does is perfect, and bears fruit.

Another interesting thing to note is the JOY that these people felt even though they were in deep poverty. And the joy they felt in giving. They were POOR yet they were exceedingly joyful to give! That kind of giving, giving from their lack cannot be anything but God inspired. They knew that the same grace that made their hearts overflow with joy, would make them self-suffient and able to give again even though they were poor!

So is missionary work not about spreading the message? The very foundation of missionary work is that god gives grace to the missionaries, who through their overflow of grace and joy that they feel in giving, gives. What do they give? Grace to others and love to others, (that is the message) and if god wants to give them anything else, that is his work to perform through them, so that the message wont be about food for the body, but food for the soul. Humanitarian efforts they say brings relief. The gospel brings far more than this, it brings grace and what does grace bring? The ability to be all sufficient. God is able to make all grace abound to them so that they in every circumstance have enough in turn to give for every good work. God gives us grace so that we can be self-suffient and to be able to GIVE. If we bring the poor food, we have not brought them grace and therefore no self-suffiency and no way to GIVE themselves. Therefore we have not blessed them. It is more blessed to give than it is to recieve. The poor are the ones recieving. That is not gods desire for them to simply recieve food, but to recieve GRACE which in turn will make them self-suffient and THEY will be able to give and be more blessed by giving than to recieve. The message of any missionary work in whatever form god does the work though them is all grounded in Him, and in the grace He gives them to perform it.

So therefore I consider any kind of giving that is inspired by God as wholly effective to bring to others the same ability to give in turn. Since GIVING is more blessed than to recieve. This is not just a message for the rich. But for the poor as well. As we can see in the churhc of macedonia, its not only more blessed to give than to recieve when you have enough, but even when you are poor.

God bless you
Heneni
My question to you is this, Is it better to feed a hungry man after he has been forced to listen to your sermon, or is it better to feed the man, developing a relationship to the point he asks you why are you doing it?

Let us consider the lessons of Jesus and Nicodemus (John 3). In this discourse, Nicodemus came freely to Jesus to inquirer about his words. At no time was he hungry, naked, or in any physical need whatsoever. The message of Jesus was presented in a voluntary format, freely given to those who want to hear. By trying to "bribe" contemplativness in the needy, we are diminishing G-D's glory for all to see.

When Jesus went and healed, did he require that those he healed be proselytized before the miracle? I say no, because it was G-D's will that the benefits of his love be shown to man without cost or obligation. After the miracles, some continued on with their faith, others turned their backs on it, but at no time were any needy held hostage before the miracles occurred.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaulpeter View Post
Missionary work IS about spreading the message of a FINISHED salvation provided by an offended but merciful God to those whom He knew before the foundation of the world, and to impart to them the true doctrine of God as passed down by Jesus to His apostles.

Ok, I have a few questions for you...

What is a finished salvation? Has it been in the oven all this time and the timer just rang to take it out? Was everyone 's salvation before the timer went off unfinished? When exactly did yours or mine salvation get finished? 1700 years seems quite a long time to leave something in the oven. (LOL, a real question with a side of humor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaulpeter View Post
What it is NOT:

1. It is NOT about changing the world. The world is not going to change, it will always follow its own fallen course even in things spiritual;
2. It is NOT about church planting. We can have churches and churches but if the hearts of those who make up these churches have not been changed by the Holy Spirit, then we have organizations of people with their own agenda;
3. It is NOT about imposing a church's or a religion's beliefs, doctrines, and practices on government, or society. It is about teaching God's people, and them only, about living IN the world, but not being OF the world, and it is about pointing God's people to their Savior and only Hope;
4. It is NOT about soul-winning, because no more souls can be won than Christ ALREADY won and redeemed unto the Father. It is not about converting souls, it is about TEACHING those who are already converted in heart and spirit and whom the Lord have prepared for the missionary.
5. It is NOT about the missionary, about how much sacrifice he is making, about how obedient he is to his Lord, and how much he lived a life for his Lord. The missionary is just as fallen as the convert.
It is about CHRIST, His obedience, His sacrifice, His glory.
Unfortunately for me, TV Evangelist testimony, MOST (not all missionaries) coming into the church, all use the same lines to receive money to help "further the spread the Jesus."

Here are a few Examples:

"The reason some church folks don't believe in missions is that the brand of religion they have isn't worth propagating." ~Robert Tilton

"If you found a cure for cancer, wouldn't it be inconceivable to hide it from the rest of mankind? How much more inconceivable to keep silent the cure from the eternal wages of death." ~Dave Davidson

"In the vast plain to the north, I have sometimes seen, in the morning sun, the smoke of a thousand villages where no missionary has ever been" ~Robert Moffat

My point is that MOST of the world has heard of Jesus, Christianity, and the Church. When Missionaries come to request aid from the various churches, they paint a horrible picture of Pagan or even Catholic corruption, ruining Jesus' example and salvation for the people.

I am not Catholic, but I know many Catholic who are much more respectful and revere G-d to a greater degree than many protestants. I am trying to point out the deception we are hearing from "missionaries" on a daily basis, either on TV or in Churches. I am trying to speak out against the separation that many denominations do not realize they are creating. At home our churches seem to get along, but abroad, there is a humanistic war for man's religious heart. As a believer that respects all brother christians, I just cannot stand by and let this happen.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Heneni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSlack View Post
My question to you is this, Is it better to feed a hungry man after he has been forced to listen to your sermon, or is it better to feed the man, developing a relationship to the point he asks you why are you doing it?

Let us consider the lessons of Jesus and Nicodemus (John 3). In this discourse, Nicodemus came freely to Jesus to inquirer about his words. At no time was he hungry, naked, or in any physical need whatsoever. The message of Jesus was presented in a voluntary format, freely given to those who want to hear. By trying to "bribe" contemplativness in the needy, we are diminishing G-D's glory for all to see.

When Jesus went and healed, did he require that those he healed be proselytized before the miracle? I say no, because it was G-D's will that the benefits of his love be shown to man without cost or obligation. After the miracles, some continued on with their faith, others turned their backs on it, but at no time were any needy held hostage before the miracles occurred.
I would say that the act of giving, by someone who has been inspired by gods grace to do it, in other words god is behind it, IS the message. The act is the message. As long as god is doing it, or behind it. I dont know how to put it simpler than this. If by grace joy rises in us to give generously to someone then it is a given that that person will experience the act of giving to them as an act of grace and GRACE is what saves people. If they dont believe a word we say, they cannot deny the acts of love. And therefore they have a foundation upon which to base their faith. And it takes both faith and grace for salvation. It is by grace through faith that people are saved. And so god has to give them the grace (he has many ways to do this) and an act of love gives them the faith to believe. Many only need grace and not the act before they will believe. So they believe even though they have not seen any reason to.

I have to agree with you that it would be quite something if the preacher was preaching away and the folk can not wait to get their hands on the food, which is really what they want. And this is why unless God does the work, the food will go in and out, and nothing will change.

In the one case the preacher could be finished and all will be glad it has ended or feel compelled to pray a prayer in return for the food and nothing will change.

In the other case the preacher could be finished and the people have recieved grace through Gods working in this person, in which case the food will not leave them wholly satisfied but the grace of god that is given to them will last much longer.

Or there would be no preaching only the giving of food which could be a powerful act of grace if god is behind it. Its the GRACE that does the ministering, not the preacher.

Or there could be no preaching only the giving of food, and there is no grace involved, only ego's on both sides.

I guess what im saying is, dont discount the preaching before hand, or no preaching, or the giving, or the no giving, instead if the act is done by god, we can be sure it will have lasting effects.

From what i have seen of some TV evangelists, it would be better if they never say anything. HE HE....
Old 05-19-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heneni View Post
I would say that the act of giving, by someone who has been inspired by gods grace to do it, in other words god is behind it, IS the message. The act is the message. As long as god is doing it, or behind it. I dont know how to put it simpler than this. If by grace joy rises in us to give generously to someone then it is a given that that person will experience the act of giving to them as an act of grace and GRACE is what saves people. If they dont believe a word we say, they cannot deny the acts of love. And therefore they have a foundation upon which to base their faith. And it takes both faith and grace for salvation. It is by grace through faith that people are saved. And so god has to give them the grace (he has many ways to do this) and an act of love gives them the faith to believe. Many only need grace and not the act before they will believe. So they believe even though they have not seen any reason to.

I have to agree with you that it would be quite something if the preacher was preaching away and the folk can not wait to get their hands on the food, which is really what they want. And this is why unless God does the work, the food will go in and out, and nothing will change.

In the one case the preacher could be finished and all will be glad it has ended or feel compelled to pray a prayer in return for the food and nothing will change.

In the other case the preacher could be finished and the people have recieved grace through Gods working in this person, in which case the food will not leave them wholly satisfied but the grace of god that is given to them will last much longer.

Or there would be no preaching only the giving of food which could be a powerful act of grace if god is behind it. Its the GRACE that does the ministering, not the preacher.

Or there could be no preaching only the giving of food, and there is no grace involved, only ego's on both sides.

I guess what im saying is, dont discount the preaching before hand, or no preaching, or the giving, or the no giving, instead if the act is done by god, we can be sure it will have lasting effects.

From what i have seen of some TV evangelists, it would be better if they never say anything. HE HE....
I do not know how to put this better into words, but I will try.

Here in the states, there is an issue where Missionaries go from church to church seeking sponsorship. The foundation of the ministry they are standing upon is spreading the word of Jesus in Africa, Central America and South America, to those that have not been exposed to the Gospel.

These Missionaries, both on TV and in real life, paint a horrific picture of a world where people have to walk miles to pray at a cross. A world where they cannot even have whole bibles written in Spanish, they only have pieces of Bibles.

They do not paint an accurate picture of the environment they have their Missions work in. Most of Central and South America has free and easy access to scriptures. A man need only walk a few miles to here Mass from a Catholic Church or any other Denomination for that matter.

There is a higher percentage of people in Mexico that claims Christianity than in the United states. Yet, the United States Christians sends millions upon millions of dollars on mission works in Catholic countries, claiming that they need to hear the word.

In Africa, it is even worse. Belief a false ideaology about witchcraft thrives worldwide and in goes those soul saving Christian missions. Many Christians use the idea of Witchcraft as a scare tactic to manipulate masses into their point of view. Here is a result of the incomplete Christian education left in Africa "the role of the church, especially some of the new Pentecostals, in spreading the belief in child witches cannot be underestimated. There are numerous so-called pastors in the region who are wrongly branding children as 'witches' mainly for economic self gain and personal recognition".

Here is a post someone left on my blog at daniel-slack.newsvine.com - Daniel Slack

"In my wanderings I met a couple of Ethiopian young men who effectively walked out of their country over many miles."

"When they arrived in the U.S. they went to work immediately to learn how to make it in this country... for them, the country of hope. They told stories of compounds the missionaries lived in that locked everyone else out at night. They told of the fear these people felt that they would be attacked in the night."

"Somehow, it seemed wrong to me. I can understand the missionaries reasoning to protect themselves but I could not agree that no one else be included. Either live as they do in order to understand their lives or don't go. How can one address something they know nothing about... but then that may not have been the objective after all."

This is just one of many tales that have been told to me.

Someone else asked me:

"What should we do? The role of the missionary is to accurately spread the way to Christ to those who have no exposure to it. That is the definition of Missions. If everyone has been exposed to the word, then what is the point?"

The way I answered him was:

If the point of Missions was to spread the faith, but everyone has been exposed to it, then it is no longer missions work, but charity work. Unfortunately, asking to sponsor charity does not move the hearts of men compared to asking for moneys for missions.

They probably do not realize that they are deceiving themselves and their brothers. To mislead or exaggerate for personal or ministerial gain is still a lie, and not of G-D.

You want to know what to do about it? Start giving your charitable time and money to those who need it in your own community. A place where you can work a lifetime at, not just a week every summer. Fix your neighbors house, feed the poor, comfort the mourning, recognize the lonely.

Do not believe you have to because your religion says so, do it because it is right. Recognize that by doing right you are giving an example that is pleasing to the creator, in your heart. When the widow, the orphan, or the lonely ask why you are doing it, then tell them it is because you want to spread the love of G-d to everyone like G-D had given his love and mercy to you.

Suddenly, you are no longer a seller of religion, you are a friend who cares.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Heneni

I think essentially we agree. Yes it seems like missionary work like so much else, has been perverted into a doctrine that is the work of man and not the work of god.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Ok, I have a few questions for you...

What is a finished salvation? Has it been in the oven all this time and the timer just rang to take it out? Was everyone 's salvation before the timer went off unfinished? When exactly did yours or mine salvation get finished? 1700 years seems quite a long time to leave something in the oven. (LOL, a real question with a side of humor)
A finished salvation is the one that Christ did on the cross. John records Him as saying, "it is finished". The writer of Hebrews records that Christ entered into the holy of holies by His own blood and sat down in the right hand of power.
A finished salvation is the message of the gospel, not a possible one, not one that is attainable with the cooperation of the sinner, but one that was acted on by the Triune God on behalf of the recipients because it was the Triune God's will to do so for the fallen sinners whom God called His people from eternity past.

Most missionaries go out to proclaim a Savior who is NOT a Savior, a salvation that is possible only IF the sinner adds in his repentance and call on his fallen will.

That is not the gospel the Apostles preached.

Quote:
Unfortunately for me, TV Evangelist testimony, MOST (not all missionaries) coming into the church, all use the same lines to receive money to help "further the spread the Jesus."

Here are a few Examples:

"The reason some church folks don't believe in missions is that the brand of religion they have isn't worth propagating." ~Robert Tilton

"If you found a cure for cancer, wouldn't it be inconceivable to hide it from the rest of mankind? How much more inconceivable to keep silent the cure from the eternal wages of death." ~Dave Davidson

"In the vast plain to the north, I have sometimes seen, in the morning sun, the smoke of a thousand villages where no missionary has ever been" ~Robert Moffat

My point is that MOST of the world has heard of Jesus, Christianity, and the Church. When Missionaries come to request aid from the various churches, they paint a horrible picture of Pagan or even Catholic corruption, ruining Jesus' example and salvation for the people.

I am not Catholic, but I know many Catholic who are much more respectful and revere G-d to a greater degree than many protestants. I am trying to point out the deception we are hearing from "missionaries" on a daily basis, either on TV or in Churches. I am trying to speak out against the separation that many denominations do not realize they are creating. At home our churches seem to get along, but abroad, there is a humanistic war for man's religious heart. As a believer that respects all brother christians, I just cannot stand by and let this happen.
I don't believe in missions, at least not the brand of missions that is so popular today. In my own denomination we have had splits because some of our brethren have been so beguiled by numbers that they have become "missionaries".
I left my ministry because the church I pastored refused to follow my lead to not fellowship with erring churches who support and accept the ordination of those who have gone the way of the "missionaries".

But these are nothing new.

History often repeats itself, and this thing have occurred among my people in the early 1800's and that event, in fact, led to the splits that resulted from the Black Rock address in Black Rock, Maryland.