Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Born Again Means Baptism

Old 01-12-2019, 01:37 AM

Default Born Again Means Baptism

This biblical scripture below is the only one where Jesus mentioned to be born again. Christ said that to be born again, one must be born of water and spirit :

John 3:3-5 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[fn]”........Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.

In the Holy Bible, God always does the same thing over and over. He's very consistent. Every time He creates something new, He always uses water and spirit. In Genesis, for example, when God created the Heavens and Earth, water and spirit was there on the first day of creation.

Genesis 1:2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

The Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. This was at the very beginning on the first day of creation. Then during Noah's time, God destroyed the entire Earth with water. Water signifies the death of sin but it also signifies life because Noah and his family were saved through water.

1 Peter 3:20-21 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.[fn] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

The waters in the Great Flood symbolized baptism. Noah and his family went through a baptism of water and spirit. The dove that Noah sent out symbolized the Holy Spirit (See John 1:32). A new creation of people started with Noah and his family (who were the only ones left) after God destroyed the Earth.

Then there's the Israelites whom God called to be His people. The people whom He called out of Egypt were led into a desert after passing through the Red Sea, which Sacred Scripture described as Baptism.

1 Corinthians 10:1-2 For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers and sisters, that our ancestors were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea.

Again, we see water and spirit as the Israelites crossed the Red Sea with a cloud over them. The cloud is the Spirit of God. Pharoah's men who chased the Israelites died in the Red Sea. Again here, water signifies the death of sin, and life for Moses and the Israelites. After the crossing of the Red Sea, they became His people and He became their God just as He promised them in Exodus 6:6-7 before their baptism in the Red Sea.

Exodus 6:6-7 “Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians

Then we have the baptism of Jesus. Jesus didn't need to be baptized because He didn't have any sins; however, He told John to baptize Him to fulfill all righteousness. Jesus' baptism was at the Jordan River. His baptism was also water and spirit. When Christ emerged from the waters of the Jordan River, a dove representing the Holy Spirit came upon Him.......again water and spirit.

Matthew 3:16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him.

Since the beginning, God never changed. He always used water and spirit to create something new or to have something born again. Creation began with water and spirit. Another creation began with Noah using water and spirit. The Israelites were born again as God's people using water and spirit. Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He showed us the Way to be born again.....and that is with water and spirit......baptism. So, now we come around to Jesus' own words.

John 3:3-5 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[fn]”........Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.

To be born again means baptism. And of course, we live out our baptism so that we can be born into a new creation in Christ.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:55 AM
Knight of the Forum

Arrow Re: Born Again Means Baptism

OP Quotes:

"The waters in the Great Flood symbolized baptism. Noah and his family went through a baptism of water and spirit. The dove that Noah sent out symbolized the Holy Spirit"

"...water and spirit as the Israelites crossed the Red Sea with a cloud over them. The cloud is the Spirit of God. Pharoah's men who chased the Israelites died in the Red Sea. Again here, water signifies the death of sin, and life for Moses and the Israelites"

"Then we have the baptism of Jesus. Jesus didn't need to be baptized because He didn't have any sins; however, He told John to baptize Him to fulfill all righteousness. Jesus' baptism was at the Jordan River. His baptism was also water and spirit..."

"Since the beginning, God never changed. He always used water and spirit to create something new or to have something born again..."

“Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again”

"The new is in the old concealed; the old is in the new revealed” - Saint Augustine

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-13-2019, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Born Again Means Baptism

I need to start reading the writings of the Church Fathers.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default Re: Born Again Means Baptism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
I need to start reading the writings of the Church Fathers.
I've heard people say that quote a lot, phrasing it a little differently, and I never knew that it was actually Augustine who said it first. Like Scott Hahn says, "Typology" is how the early fathers read the scriptures, because at first there was no New Testament, right? The first Christian elders and bishops used the OT, and were able to see Christ's teachings pre-figured, pre-shadowed, in the OT

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II