Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

Old 10-22-2018, 03:33 PM

Default If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

Hi to all and in 1 Cor 15:29 it reads , Else what shall they do which are BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD if thr dead rise not at all ?? why are they then BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD ??

So what kind of BAPTISM is this BAPTISM ??

What say you ??

dan p
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Re: If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by danp View Post
Hi to all and in 1 Cor 15:29 it reads , Else what shall they do which are BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD if thr dead rise not at all ?? why are they then BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD ??

So what kind of BAPTISM is this BAPTISM ??

What say you ??

dan p
I realize this is a rather old thread and I am surprised that no one took the time to respond to it.

“What will those do who are baptized for the dead? Why then are they baptized for them?”

The first thing that has to be acknowledged here is that Paul affirms the existence of this practice. The second thing is that the existence of this practice testifies to the importance the early Church placed on baptism, even though this practice represents a perversion of it. The third thing is that Paul does not ask, “why do you or we” but, why do “they,” whoever the ‘they' were. Paul is clearly separating himself and those at Corinth who did not practice this ritual for the dead, from those who did. It must also be noted that Paul is not giving credence to the practice. He simply acknowledges that some, whom he does not identify, were practicing this and it would appear that it was from among some of those who were claiming there was no resurrection. This reveals the existence of yet another faction that existed among those at Corinth just like this who were forbidding to marry. Just like those who had divided into factions over baptism, etc…. Some were teaching that there was no resurrection from the dead while at the same time practicing this proxy ritual of baptism for the dead. Paul is not offering a defense for this practice. Rather, he is stressing the obvious absurdity of denying the resurrection and then baptizing for those who had died. How would they propose to defend the logic of this? Paul is not legitimizing the practice, he is showing the absurdity of it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-2018, 04:35 PM

Welcome oldhermit, many thanks for great post. We could use a good deal more faithful rationality around here. I now feel much better about what I too thought was a difficult passage.

Last edited by eschator83 : 12-05-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
Welcome oldhermit, many thanks for great post. We could use a good deal more faithful rationality around here. I now feel much better about what I too thought was a difficult passage.
Thank you. I hope it was helpful.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:56 AM

The sense is, then, were those Christians “baptized for the purpose of being dead ones,” or “baptized into his death”? They were immersed into a course of life that was to lead them as integrity-keepers to death, as was the case with Christ, and with the hope of a resurrection like his to immortal spirit life. (Romans 6:3-7; Philippians 3:10,*11) This was not a baptism that was accomplished quickly, as water immersion is. More than three years after his immersion in water, Jesus spoke of a baptism that was not yet completed in his own case and that was yet future for his disciples. (Mark 10:35-40) Since this baptism leads to resurrection to heavenly life, it must begin with the operation of God’s spirit on the person in such a way as to engender that hope, and it must end, not at death, but with realization of the prospect of immortal spirit life by means of the resurrection.-1 Corinthians 6:14; 2 Corinthians 1:21,*22.