True2Ourselves
Already a member? login
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
  
+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-22-2018, 02:33 PM
danp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 349
Default If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

Hi to all and in 1 Cor 15:29 it reads , Else what shall they do which are BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD if thr dead rise not at all ?? why are they then BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD ??

So what kind of BAPTISM is this BAPTISM ??

What say you ??

dan p
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2018, 09:00 AM
oldhermit's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Default Re: If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by danp View Post
Hi to all and in 1 Cor 15:29 it reads , Else what shall they do which are BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD if thr dead rise not at all ?? why are they then BAPTIZED FOR THE DEAD ??

So what kind of BAPTISM is this BAPTISM ??

What say you ??

dan p
I realize this is a rather old thread and I am surprised that no one took the time to respond to it.

“What will those do who are baptized for the dead? Why then are they baptized for them?”

The first thing that has to be acknowledged here is that Paul affirms the existence of this practice. The second thing is that the existence of this practice testifies to the importance the early Church placed on baptism, even though this practice represents a perversion of it. The third thing is that Paul does not ask, “why do you or we” but, why do “they,” whoever the ‘they' were. Paul is clearly separating himself and those at Corinth who did not practice this ritual for the dead, from those who did. It must also be noted that Paul is not giving credence to the practice. He simply acknowledges that some, whom he does not identify, were practicing this and it would appear that it was from among some of those who were claiming there was no resurrection. This reveals the existence of yet another faction that existed among those at Corinth just like this who were forbidding to marry. Just like those who had divided into factions over baptism, etc…. Some were teaching that there was no resurrection from the dead while at the same time practicing this proxy ritual of baptism for the dead. Paul is not offering a defense for this practice. Rather, he is stressing the obvious absurdity of denying the resurrection and then baptizing for those who had died. How would they propose to defend the logic of this? Paul is not legitimizing the practice, he is showing the absurdity of it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2018, 03:35 PM
eschator83's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 371
Default Re: If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

Welcome oldhermit, many thanks for great post. We could use a good deal more faithful rationality around here. I now feel much better about what I too thought was a difficult passage.

Last edited by eschator83 : 12-05-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2018, 07:40 PM
oldhermit's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Default Re: If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
Welcome oldhermit, many thanks for great post. We could use a good deal more faithful rationality around here. I now feel much better about what I too thought was a difficult passage.
Thank you. I hope it was helpful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:56 AM
Mark51's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 184
Default Re: If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

The sense is, then, were those Christians “baptized for the purpose of being dead ones,” or “baptized into his death”? They were immersed into a course of life that was to lead them as integrity-keepers to death, as was the case with Christ, and with the hope of a resurrection like his to immortal spirit life. (Romans 6:3-7; Philippians 3:10,*11) This was not a baptism that was accomplished quickly, as water immersion is. More than three years after his immersion in water, Jesus spoke of a baptism that was not yet completed in his own case and that was yet future for his disciples. (Mark 10:35-40) Since this baptism leads to resurrection to heavenly life, it must begin with the operation of God’s spirit on the person in such a way as to engender that hope, and it must end, not at death, but with realization of the prospect of immortal spirit life by means of the resurrection.-1 Corinthians 6:14; 2 Corinthians 1:21,*22.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 PM
danp's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 349
Default Re: If You Believe In Baptism , Explain 1 Cor 15:29 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhermit View Post
I realize this is a rather old thread and I am surprised that no one took the time to respond to it.

“What will those do who are baptized for the dead? Why then are they baptized for them?”

The first thing that has to be acknowledged here is that Paul affirms the existence of this practice. The second thing is that the existence of this practice testifies to the importance the early Church placed on baptism, even though this practice represents a perversion of it. The third thing is that Paul does not ask, “why do you or we” but, why do “they,” whoever the ‘they' were. Paul is clearly separating himself and those at Corinth who did not practice this ritual for the dead, from those who did. It must also be noted that Paul is not giving credence to the practice. He simply acknowledges that some, whom he does not identify, were practicing this and it would appear that it was from among some of those who were claiming there was no resurrection. This reveals the existence of yet another faction that existed among those at Corinth just like this who were forbidding to marry. Just like those who had divided into factions over baptism, etc…. Some were teaching that there was no resurrection from the dead while at the same time practicing this proxy ritual of baptism for the dead. Paul is not offering a defense for this practice. Rather, he is stressing the obvious absurdity of denying the resurrection and then baptizing for those who had died. How would they propose to defend the logic of this? Paul is not legitimizing the practice, he is showing the absurdity of it.

Hi and I believe that is NOT water baptism !!

We see from Acts 1:5 that the OT Prophets , like JohN were water BAPTIZERS/ BAPTISMA an dthat from John it is to be BAPTISM OF HOLY SPIRIT !!

Rom 6:3 al that were BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST JESUS were BAPTIZED / BAPTIZO / PLACED into His Death !!

Verse 4 reads , Therefore , we were buried together with Him trough BAPTISMA / BAPTIZER which is the HOLY SPIRIT INTO THE DEATH !!

This explains that all believers THAT the BAPTIZER / BAPTISMA ( the HOLY SPIRIT ) that are BAPTIZED for the DEAD are raised from the dead at his coming !!

dan p
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you explain this? Giuliano Bible Chat 91 09-04-2014 10:27 AM
Can You Explain Gal 3:28 ?? danp Theology 28 12-11-2013 09:14 PM
The mechanism of banning- can the moderator explain? Gideon General Discussions 13 11-20-2010 02:52 PM
Would someone explain to me.... BruceG Bible Chat 11 05-26-2009 06:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.


true2ourselves
 
 
 

Flashcoms

You need to upgrade your Flash Player.

Version 8 or higher is required.

download from http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29