Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > Beware of Grumpy Christians

Old 02-13-2016, 05:13 AM

Default Beware of Grumpy Christians

One of the chief signs of the presence of the Holy Spirit is joy.

John 14:23-24
Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me."

Romans 14:17
17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval. 19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-13-2016, 06:09 AM
Suspended for Review

Default Re: Beware of Grumpy Christians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
One of the chief signs of the presence of the Holy Spirit is joy.

John 14:23-24
Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me."

Romans 14:17
17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, 18 because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval. 19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.

We all have our moments:

Acts 15:37 Barnabas wanted to take John, also called Mark, with them, 38 but Paul did not think it wise to take him, because he had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not continued with them in the work. 39 They had such a sharp disagreement that they parted company.

But yes, we shouldn't make a habit of it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-14-2016, 05:28 AM
Knight of the Forum

I would think that although a faith in Christ and the Gospel should fill us with a sense of joy for several reasons...that it's a joy based upon an eternal perspective, and not based on ignorance or indifference to the world around us.

Certainly the situations and circumstances we find ourselves and others in should influence our attitudes.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 PM

Please forgive me, but i can be grumpy and i hate it. I continue to ask not to be, and say this to discourage th grumpy to work on not being so, and encourage the joyful to remain so.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari View Post
Please forgive me, but i can be grumpy and i hate it. I continue to ask not to be, and say this to discourage th grumpy to work on not being so, and encourage the joyful to remain so.
Amen.
I too am human. For me, my goal is not to never be grumpy, as such, but to deal with it as soon as I become aware of it (being critical, irritable and discontent) rising within me (from my ego).
Old 02-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Knight of the Forum

And just when I believe I have completely conquered this tendency to be a grumpy person instead of manifesting the joy you mention, something happens and without thinking there I am again. Are they less frequent now than was previously the case? Hopefully, yes, but God knows.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 PM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari View Post
Please forgive me, but i can be grumpy and i hate it......
ahhh . . . . I'll bet you're cute when you're grumpy.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II