Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > "Why I became Orthodox"

Old 12-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Representative Clergy

Default "Why I became Orthodox"

By Hierodeacon Paul Ballaster

The following is an article written by a Catholic priest who became Orthodox, and some of his reasons for doing so:

My conversion to Orthodoxy began one day while I was reordering the Library catalogues of the monastery I belong to. This monastery belonged to the Franciscan order, founded in my country of Spain. While I was classifying different old articles concerning the Holy Inquisition, I happened to come across an article that was truly impressive, dating back to 1647. This article described a decision of the Holy Inquisition that anathematized as heretic any Christian who dared believe, accept or preach to others that he supported the apostolic validity of the Apostle Paul.

It was about a horrible finding that my mind could not comprehend. I immediately thought to calm my soul that perhaps it was due to a typographical error or due to some forgery, which was not so uncommon in the western Church of that time when the articles were written. However, my disturbance and my surprise became greater after researching and confirming that the decision of the Holy Inquisition that was referred to in the article was authentic. In fact already during two earlier occasions, namely in 1327 and 1331, the Popes John 22nd and Clemens 6th had condemned and anathematized any one who dared deny that the Apostle Paul during his entire apostolic life, was totally subordinate to the ecclesiastic monarchal authority of the first Pope and king of the Church, namely the Apostle Peter. And a lot later Pope Pius 10th, in 1907 and Benedict 15th, in 1920, had repeated the same anathemas and the same condemnations.

I had therefore to dismiss any possibility of it being due to an inadvertent misquoting or forgery. So I was thus confronted with a serious problem of conscience.

Personally it was impossible for me to accept that the Apostle Paul was disposed off under whatever Papal command. The independence of his apostolic work among nations, against that which characterized the apostolic work of Peter among the circumcised, for me was the unshakeable event that shouted from the Holy Bible.

The thing was totally clear to me who he was, as the explaining works of the Fathers on this issue do not leave the slightest doubt. "Paul- writes St Chrysostom- declares his equality with the rest of the apostles and should be compared not only with all the others but with the first one of them, to prove that each one had the same authority". Truly, together all the Fathers agree that "all the rest of the apostles were the same like Peter, namely they were endowed with the same honour and authority". It was impossible for who ever of them, to exercise higher authority from the rest, for the apostolic title that each had was the "highest authority, the peak of authorities". They were all shepherds, while the flock was one. And the flock was shepherded by the apostles in conformity by all".

The matter was therefore crystal clear. Despite this, the Roman teaching was against the situation. This way for the first time in my life, I experienced a frightful dilemma. What could I say? On one side the Bible and the Holy Tradition and on the other side the teaching of the Church? According to the Roman theology it is essential for our salvation to believe that the Church is a pure monarchy, whose monarch is the Pope. This way, the synod of the Vatican, voting together all the earlier convictions, it declared officially that "if any one says ....... that Peter (who is assumed to be the first Pope) was not ordained by Christ as the leader of the Apostles and visible Head of all the Church .......... is under anathema".

See the rest of the article here:

Why I abandoned Papism
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 AM

Default Re: "Why I became Orthodox"

Fr. Linsinbigler,

You seem to be busy resuscitating old threads and starting new ones to expose divisions between Catholic and Orthodox.

We can all find people who have moved around between Protestantism, Orthodoxy and Catholicism.

What need is to look for unity not division.

I commend this article to you by an ex-(and very anti-Catholic) protestant, who found Orthodoxy. He then found much of Othodoxys polemics against Catholics in error and some of the claims of Orthodoxy about itself to be in error.

He is still Orthodox but says he is now: an Orthodox Christian who has reconciled himself, in his heart, to the Holy Father, and to his western brothers and sisters, and to our holy fathers and mothers of the lands of the west. To put more eloquently, I will affirm the words of my favorite Russian writer coming to the same conclusions from within his Orthodoxy:

The manifest impossibility of finding or creating in the East a centre of unity for the UniversalChurch makes it imperative for us to seek it elsewhere. First and foremost we must recognize ourselves for what we are in reality, an organic part of the great body of Christendom, and affirm our intimate solidarity with our Western brethren who possess the central organ which we lack.

Read his story here An Eastern Orthodox Christian Looks West | St. Joseph's Vanguard

It is very long but I think interesting.

A writer who pointed to this link said If there is any article you should read this year, it's this one. It is stunning in it's sheer honesty and humility. I really cannot even describe it, you must read it.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsome View Post
Fr. Linsinbigler,

You seem to be busy resuscitating old threads and starting new ones to expose divisions between Catholic and Orthodox.

No, I have been busy doing so to answer you and Mormon Stephen's objections to Orthodoxy on other threads. With your defense of the Roman position I did not accuse you of looking at divisions rather than unity. Why do you do that to me?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
No, I have been busy doing so to answer you and Mormon Stephen's objections to Orthodoxy on other threads. With your defense of the Roman position I did not accuse you of looking at divisions rather than unity. Why do you do that to me?

The Rock of the Church you bumped a two year old thread. You were not answering anyone.

Peter's authority and Rome you bumped a three year old thread. You were not answering anyone.

"Authority" and the Orthodox Church you bumped a four year old thread. You were not answering anyone.

I had raised no objections to Orthodoxy.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Knight of the Forum

[quote=winsome;191395]

We can all find people who have moved around between Protestantism, Orthodoxy and Catholicism.

What need is to look for unity not division.

Above is an excerpt from Winsome's response to Fr. Linsinbigler.

I believe it shows that no one of us have the whole thing. We will probably see what is lacking in each of us and others.

May I suggest for us to combine what is true in each of us. Jesus said love one another, by this will all men will know you are My disciples by the love we have for one another.

Perhaps we can only unite on things we agree upon. Another thing is to set aside what separates us. Is this possible ? with God all things are possible.

ped
Old 12-10-2014, 02:47 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
The Rock of the Church you bumped a two year old thread. You were not answering anyone.

Peter's authority and Rome you bumped a three year old thread. You were not answering anyone.

"Authority" and the Orthodox Church you bumped a four year old thread. You were not answering anyone.

I had raised no objections to Orthodoxy.
"You were not answering anyone." This is false. Stephen had raised several questions about the Orthodox view of Peter and his place in the Church. I bumped these in answer to his questions and claims. You are now making a false claim about me and my actions.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Representative Clergy

^The bumping of the threads was the result of this conversation:

No middle ground

and on another thread, and I even reference he fact that this is why I bumped them later in the thread.

It was in response to Stephen1000, not in response to "no-one," and subsequent postings on those threads were in response to your objections.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
"You were not answering anyone." This is false. Stephen had raised several questions about the Orthodox view of Peter and his place in the Church. I bumped these in answer to his questions and claims. You are now making a false claim about me and my actions.
I disagree but I shall not prolong this discussion.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Good, it takes two to argue.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Representative Clergy

Quote:
Well this is rather serious. You have now accused me of lying. I am offended, so given the Lord's injunction in Matt. 18 to go tell you my problem between you and me, I am doing so.

Stephen1000 made the following claim on December 2 at 4:59pm:
“By breaking away, one un-thought-out tragedy manifested intself, 'Peter's keys' were lost to the East. What does that mean to the Orthodox church?”
No middle ground

As soon as I saw this, I immediately found and bumped all the threads you mentioned on the same day, December 2 ca 7pm Please go an look up the timeline

I later in the thread posted, in response from further banter from Stephen1000:
“I have answered all of these questions in other posts in detail. I have bumped many of them.”
No middle ground

Days earlier, 12/6/2014 8:41pm I replied on the Rock of the Church thread:
“This should answer that question raised on the other thread
The Rock of the Church