Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Theology  > History of the Holy Bible

Old 10-03-2014, 04:33 AM
Knight of the Forum

Default History of the Holy Bible

My first acquaintance with the Holy Bible is at 24 years old when i got hold of King James Version which some called the Authorized version to others it is the Protestant's Bible. My understanding now is it came from the compilation made by early Catholic church. My 38 years of reading the Bible is devoted to KJV or NIV but next week Lord willing i will read Apocrypha and Deuterocanonical Books.

Can anyone here provide me or us the history (brief please) of the Holy Bible,
who compiled it ? who preserved it ? Tell us what you know about the history of the Holy Bible. Please be brief, clear, and simple if you could.

ped
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:51 AM

Default Re: History of the Holy Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElpidioLGagolinan View Post
My first acquaintance with the Holy Bible is at 24 years old when i got hold of King James Version which some called the Authorized version to others it is the Protestant's Bible. My understanding now is it came from the compilation made by early Catholic church. My 38 years of reading the Bible is devoted to KJV or NIV but next week Lord willing i will read Apocrypha and Deuterocanonical Books.

Can anyone here provide me or us the history (brief please) of the Holy Bible,
who compiled it ? who preserved it ? Tell us what you know about the history of the Holy Bible. Please be brief, clear, and simple if you could.

ped
The early Church adopted the Greek LXX version of the OT. Then over a few hunded years it gradually discerned which books written in NT times were inspired. The final decision on this was proposed by St. Athanasius in the mid 4th century. The final authorised list of books was made at the Council of Rome by Pope Damasus I in 382AD and confirmed by the local synods of Carthage and Hippo soon afterwards.

At the Reformation several books of the OT were removed. Martic Luther also removed some of the NT books but in the end they were re-instated.

The so called "apocryphal" books of the OT, removed by the "reformers", are more correctly called deuterocanonical.

Over the years many translations have been made into many languages.

I think the KJV NT was translated from a very limited number of greek texts no earlier than the 9th century. It had some input from Catholic translations but also from Tyndale's translation.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsome View Post
The early Church adopted the Greek LXX version of the OT. Then over a few hunded years it gradually discerned which books written in NT times were inspired. The final decision on this was proposed by St. Athanasius in the mid 4th century. The final authorised list of books was made at the Council of Rome by Pope Damasus I in 382AD and confirmed by the local synods of Carthage and Hippo soon afterwards.

At the Reformation several books of the OT were removed. Martic Luther also removed some of the NT books but in the end they were re-instated.

The so called "apocryphal" books of the OT, removed by the "reformers", are more correctly called deuterocanonical.

Over the years many translations have been made into many languages.

I think the KJV NT was translated from a very limited number of greek texts no earlier than the 9th century. It had some input from Catholic translations but also from Tyndale's translation.
It is nice to know that KJV NT came from Catholic and Tyndale translation.
As of now I read the first 4 chapters of the book of Tobit, it encourages good works. I plan to read more.

ped
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Knight of the Forum

Finished reading the books of Tobit and Judith. Humming along. Probably resume Monday.

ped