Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Spirituality  > Pentecostalism/Charismatic, Harnessing the Roots

Old 05-15-2018, 02:31 AM

Default Pentecostalism/Charismatic, Harnessing the Roots

A somewhat illustrative look at untangling the origins, growth and structure of these movements. This done with a minimum of doctrinal implication and moreso on the development (waves) of the peoples response.

All comment welcome, Thanks!

Pentecostalism

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Pentecostalism/Charismatic, Harnessing the Roots

I will say this much, movement is a key word as the folks tend to be on the move from some where (denomination) to somewhere seeking something.
I am not claiming to have been in huge numbers of churches but have sat in a few pews and there are certain things noticeable. You go to most any Catholic church its the same thing, large or small, you go to a Lutheran, same., Baptist, Methodist, same. etc but I have gone to numerous AG or Pentecostal churches in the surrounding area and also out of state, each has their own personality, none are duplicating, Some I would never go back...

Many of these folks have migrated from the other denominations for individual reasons. It seems to be about an even split of membership from generational and those who migrate. often a generational member has a divide in the family.

As the video assess there are no identifying or defining markers on who might fit the mold of a Pentecostal or Charismatic except someone seeking more advancement in spirituality, gifts, deeper study's, fellowship etc..I might add personality traits may play a factor on subdividing the individual churches, ie.. phlegmatic, choleric, sanguine, melancholic.

As stated in the video, dont get confused, Pentecostalism is actually a refining of earlier movements, and in the 1900's more refining movements began occurring, an extension of the great awakening movement pre 1800's

I would say the charismatic renewal 1950'-60's is the driving force leading into the free market wave, which in my opinion will be the down fall.

The Neo-Charismatic beginning in the 80's which encompass tv evangelists, mega churches, false doctrines, false healers, false hopes, etc. let the show began...

Which, as a side note, for me personally, The Holy Spirit has never led me to a single tv preacher, tv, evangelist, writer, mega church minister etc.. not one religious leader to single out or seek. I am familiar with some names but, no connections to any of them, that does not intend to say they are all frauds or bad... ..

this I think will be the divide

People can no longer discern/distinguish the truth, they thrive on group think, popular opinion agrees to silence unprofitable opposition..
History repeating, churches or halls filled, scripture replaced by inspirational or motivational speaking, selling doves to sinners for profit..

John 2:13-17 (KJV)
13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,
14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.
17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

Dan

Last edited by iamdan : 05-16-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdan View Post
I will say this much, movement is a key word as the folks tend to be on the move from some where (denomination) to somewhere seeking something.
Could it be more than not, they themselves sought that indiscriminant move of the Spirit?
Quote:
It seems to be about an even split of membership from generational and those who migrate.
Interesting! If so, the pendulum probably was set far more towards the blessings of the Spirit of say 40 or 50-yrs ago for such growth, then today the problem remains with us as God is faithful.
Quote:
As the video assess there are no identifying or defining markers on who might fit the mold of a Pentecostal or Charismatic except someone seeking more advancement in spirituality, gifts, deeper study's, fellowship etc..I might add personality traits may play a factor on subdividing the individual churches, ie.. phlegmatic, choleric, sanguine, melancholic.
One thing I don’t see today mentioned in quite the propensity as was present in the book of acts is a specific call-out for prayer meetings.
Quote:
I am familiar with some names but, no connections to any of them, that does not intend to say they are all frauds or bad... ..this I think will be the divide

People can no longer discern/distinguish the truth, they thrive on group think, popular opinion agrees to silence unprofitable opposition.. History repeating, churches or halls filled, scripture replaced by inspirational or motivational speaking, selling doves to sinners for profit..
I see this divide showing up right there from the AG pulpit. Interesting though I should note, short of attending a single RC-mass but I am sure is also present, attention to B&W scriptural tenets seem to transverse many denominations.

Thank God, decades ago, my five year stint out west while under the AG Pastoral direction of a weekly televised Bible answer man served well a furthering of sensitivity and hallowing of that ancient thought, and not become accustom to some notion of the outdated release, faithless oblivion to the communion we experience and receive while inspecting His will.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Knight of the Forum

I'll never understand how churches and movements can be based on just one single thing in the Bible. Our Faith, practices, etc.. should encompass everything

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Old 05-18-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatholicCrusader View Post
I'll never understand how churches and movements can be based on just one single thing in the Bible. Our Faith, practices, etc.. should encompass everything
Ah, although a dichotomy is in the works here, I happen to be very much in agreement with you on one if say ministries are based on signs and wonders. While that may be bias on the video author’s part, the fact remains what the Lord said concerning the generation seeking “after a sign”. This, among other poor conduct found in Pentecostalism makes me a non-synonymous Pentecostal I suppose.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:53 PM

Can anyone please interpret non-synonymous Pentecostal/
Old 06-05-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
Ha ha ha... leave it to as nuclear physicist to scramble someone.lol
I wonder sometimes what Pryz does for a living.... a rare bird indeed.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschator83 View Post
Well it wouldn’t be the first time someone’s creative license walks into censure.

Basically, I hold those examples of life and traditions of the Spirit like so many, yet without the un-necessary reputations such as I responded to CC with. But even if you wanted to lessen the severity a little, I’m not especially fond of their examples of 'decency' frequently expressed either.

Is that form of liberty thought to be being abused, ie; mass-tongues-talking to mention a few? Isn't this fairly plain to see in the text?

Old 06-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Knight of the Forum

Arrow Re: Pentecostalism/Charismatic, Harnessing the Roots

Quote:
I will say this much, movement is a key word as the folks tend to be on the move from some where (denomination) to somewhere seeking something.......
How many people see their doctor, their doctor tells them to eat right and exercise, and then they never do it and things never change. Well, I say that its the same for a lot of Catholics. The universe is handed to them in a golden chalice but they never bother understand whats really happening and therefore they do not enjoy it fruits and they seek excitement of the senses elsewhere. Its like watching a football game and not knowing the rules: Bo---ring. Except this is God's game and it aint no game.

Two words: "Orthopraxy" and "Orthodoxy". Without orthodoxy you cannot have orthopraxy.

Quote:
.......I am not claiming to have been in huge numbers of churches but have sat in a few pews and there are certain things noticeable. You go to most any Catholic church its the same thing, large or small........
.....and you crack open any Bible and its the same thing, large or small....

....oh, wait: Thats a GOOD thing, right? God never changes, Truth never changes, His Word never changes... ....why should my worship change?

Now don't get me wrong: I am open to new stuff as long as it does not contradict TRUTH. But don't mess with my Mass; like the Bible it's fundamental structure has not changed for 2,000 years and woe to him or her who tries to change it.

Seeking the "new", titillating, excitement of the senses is a secular pursuit in my opinion. Those who seek GOD seek the unchanging, the everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
Ah, although a dichotomy is in the works here, I happen to be very much in agreement with you on one if say ministries are based on signs and wonders. While that may be bias on the video author’s part, the fact remains what the Lord said concerning the generation seeking “after a sign”. This, among other poor conduct found in Pentecostalism makes me a non-synonymous Pentecostal I suppose.
I was thinking more about whole churches based on just one aspect of the Bible. The Bereans for example, a movement based almost solely on Acts 17:11. Or the Pentecostals based on that part of acts. How about presbyterians, named after one of the three levels of ministers named in Acts and elsewhere.

The Catholic Church is the "complete" church, the "whole" entire Church. It is only the advent of denominations and their names that caused the name "Catholic" to descend into their midst as just another name. I like to call it The Church because to me, it is, and you are my wayward brother. LOL. No offense.

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II

Last edited by CatholicCrusader : 06-10-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:08 PM

A simple truth which you are most likely unaware Terry,
Catholic Church's are choreographed to the point, they all do and say almost the same thing a the same time almost always in sink.. That is not how AG's operate, That is hardly a Spirit filled room of worshiping Christians.. But more likened to a repetitive religious ceremony. I dare you to go reach out to a real Spiritual event, not some phony baloney deal. Which is what PRYZ and I have been discussing is the divide, of how it is becoming a show, like you just pushed.
But yet you cannot see your churches own show boating.

I have known and met a lot of Catholics, I have never met one that has an inkling of Spiritual growth..

Last edited by iamdan : 06-10-2018 at 06:13 PM.