Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Spirituality  > One Tongue of the Church

Old 12-03-2017, 07:52 AM

Default One Tongue of the Church

How does it read?
“Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice”, , “Rejoice at all times.”
(Philippians 4:4, 1 Thessalonians 5:16)
To solidify this, the Apostle draws it down to be cinched-fastened,
“I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.”
(Philippians 4:11)
But what turns it on its ear?
“Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.”
(Romans 12:15)
Lest someone doesn’t understand, weeping is not rejoicing as it is written, for there is,
A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance.
(Ecclesiastes 3:4)
How is it the Church has come to weep and scowl at the thoughts of prayer, of all things, than it does “rejoice”? Far worse, we bring up those among us who come to fill our vestiges and train them NOT to ‘mourn’ for the differing decorums of prayer but attempt to ‘dance’ a narrow-minded version of rejoicing.

That brings us to “tongues” and not only the power of God, but Life himself. That ‘silly’ little organ that has changed the world many times came to be used on the day of Pentecost mightily from that first day right up to the present,
“The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off--for all whom the Lord our God will call."
(Acts 2:39)
St. Peter’s audience only thought of the Jews of the Diaspora, but we can see in his words a wider and a deeper meaning - Expositor's Greek
“For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.”
(Romans 1:16)
“We must assume, , the invisible context, , which may be called the historical Protestant interpretation” - Expositor's Greek
There is no time, no other point but to commit the ignorant, naturally carnal to Christ,
“, , he can deal gently with the ignorant and misguided, since he himself also is beset with weakness”
(Hebrews 5:2)
Those who plague the Church with swarms naturally in opposition of the connecting work of the powers of the Holy Spirit for both salvation and continued power for living are an antithesis for Church progress, and receive our compassion whilst the Church determines in the work.

They will continue lest the truth overtakes the “foolishness” of carnality for the gift in determinations of their own, to seek saving themselves by not surrendering to the truth,
“Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it.”
(Luke 17:33)
But this goes for the Pentecostal of high-mindedness as well. When we read those two towering passages,
“And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.”

“What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also”

(Romans 8:26, 1 Corinthians 14:15)
Historically, we have a scattering of responses. The non-tongues talker wants variations to dis-assoc with the concept of the gift but can’t quite erase it. The Pentecostal wants to claim full responsibility to fulfill these without being able to prove uniformly, the methods shown are entirely theirs.

Nothing earth-shattering about all this, it is a fair approximation in my thinking, just as there are many to be fully convinced in their own mind, there is but “one faith” - Christ without any of us adding anything, bring anything that was not first received from Christ.

So it is the same true for Baptism, though there are a number of them, there is but “one baptism” which is of Christ, and so it is with tongues, though there are scores intelligible and un-intelligible, it is all under the same Spirit of Christ, one tongue. Fair enough?

Let the Church "dance" with one tongue, Christ’s.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Re: One Tongue of the Church

Some good thoughts!
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-04-2017, 03:43 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
That brings us to “tongues” and not only the power of God, but Life himself. That ‘silly’ little organ that has changed the world many times came to be used on the day of Pentecost mightily from that first day right up to the present,

“And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.”

I'm not sure groanings that cannot be expressed in words are the same as speaking in tongues which is scripturally associated with intelligible words that should be understood by a listener or interpreter.

Do you know of other scripture that could tie the two together?
It would seem the groanings would happen when you close a door behind you and pray.

Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Tongues are in the open amongst many perhaps.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulheart3 View Post
Some good thoughts!
Thank you kindly.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post

I'm not sure groanings that cannot be expressed in words are the same as speaking in tongues which is scripturally associated with intelligible words that should be understood by a listener or interpreter.

It would seem the groanings would happen when you close a door behind you and pray.

Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

I think usually refers to this such verse,
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
(1 Corinthians 14:14)

Old 12-04-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:

I am not just saying your wrong, I'm only giving some clarification where you didn't sound to sure, or didn't know.

You have to understand them both to be TONGUES.....Two types.

One type are the Tongues of men which are spoken in and to the Church for Edification of the Church, which must be by two, one Prophesying, and one Interpreting

1Co. 14:3
But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

1Co. 14:5
I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

While the other type of TONGUES is the UNKNOWN TONGUES of the Spirit and of the Angels, with these types of Tongues, there isn't any need for an Interpreter, because the speaker is speaking directly to God, not man.
Paul speaks of both types of TONGUES in the verse below.

1Co. 13:1
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

This second type of TONGUES is for the individual Christian in his personal Prayer life in his Prayer closet for his own Edification.

Mat. 6:6
But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

1Co. 14:4
He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

This last part I believe is up for debate.

Rom. 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

In this verse first it appears as though the Holy Spirit is the one in control at this point, it says "He makes intercession for us" that is not us praying, then it says "With Groanings which CANNOT be UTTERED" this would mean the Utterances by the Holy Spirit are silent Groanings.

At this point when the Holy Spirit is Interceding for us, I do not believe HE is Praying in Tongues, HE is talking to HIMSELF.....GOD
We then are not aware of when the Intercession has taken place by the Holy Spirit for us, it doesn't have to take place while we are in our Private Prayer closet Praying in tongues, as some believe.

While praying in Tongues in our prayer closet, we are the one voicing ourselves Audibly.

Last edited by Lookinforacity : 12-04-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryz View Post
I think usually refers to this such verse,
For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
(1 Corinthians 14:14)

Yes, thanks and continuing on verse 18 suggests the words prayed or spoken don't have to necessarily be intelligible:

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

I suppose there is substance in all those YouTube videos of praying in tongues with thousands of unintelligible words.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:15 AM
Knight of the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinforacity View Post
I am not just saying your wrong, I'm only giving some clarification where you didn't sound to sure, or didn't know.

One type are the Tongues of men which are spoken in and to the Church for Edification of the Church, which must be by two, one Prophesying, and one Interpreting

But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

While the other type of TONGUES is the UNKNOWN TONGUES of the Spirit and of the Angels, with these types of Tongues, there isn't any need for an Interpreter, because the speaker is speaking directly to God, not man.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

This second type of TONGUES is for the individual Christian in his personal Prayer life in his Prayer closet for his own Edification.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

In this verse first it appears as though the Holy Spirit is the one in control at this point, it says "He makes intercession for us" that is not us praying, then it says "With Groanings which CANNOT be UTTERED" this would mean the Utterances by the Holy Spirit are silent Groanings.

At this point when the Holy Spirit is Interceding for us, I do not believe HE is Praying in Tongues, HE is talking to HIMSELF.....GOD
We then are not aware of when the Intercession has taken place by the Holy Spirit for us, it doesn't have to take place while we are in our Private Prayer closet Praying in tongues, as some believe.

While praying in Tongues in our prayer closet, we are the one voicing ourselves Audibly.

Thanks Jim, I wasn't sure but had an idea which I now know was wrong. I have been corrected. Tongues can be unintelligible. They don't necessarily have to be of any language.

Kabalah juvi debooti grahfu bedo alma de banti, amen!

They just came from my ummm spirit I suppose.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
I suppose there is substance in all those YouTube videos of praying in tongues with thousands of unintelligible words.
Now there's a subject a good number of Pentecostal don't wish to be reminded, when to keep there trap shut when in Church
Quote:
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret;
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinforacity View Post

Agree, with the addition to what I've highlighted, and one that is as curious as the gift itself,
Quote:
So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.
(1 Cor 14:22)