True2Ourselves
Already a member? login
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
Divider
  
+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Christian Forum Inc. > Official Forum Meetings  > Is Hell Eternal?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:56 AM
CatholicCrusader's Avatar
Knight of the Forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,151
Arrow Re: Is Hell Eternal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderAsh View Post
Thanks for this challenging but wonderful read, education Father.
Yes, thank you.
__________________

"God in his deepest mystery is not a solitude but a family, since he has in himself fatherhood, sonship and the essence of the family which is love"
- Saint Pope John Paul II
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Suspended for Review
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 247
Default Re: Is Hell Eternal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
...Really?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Peter's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 383
Default Re: Is Hell Eternal?

From The River of Fire is the the word 'slander'.

Slander...to snare...to string along.
The nature of evil, is to feed of others. For they have no source of energy themselves, such as the love of God.
They are void and can only survive by causing tension in others so they can feed of their wasted energies through tension.
Evil goes to great lengths to string along another in hope of snaring them, so they can gloat (be energized).
Hell is a place void of any truth. Those that are in it cannot find any truth for a foothold to escape the void. They are forever lost because they cannot find any truth. All they can do is feed of the fears/tensions (untruths of others). Fear feeding of fear, (as a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly - Proverbs 26:11).

In this regard, Hell is eternal. Those that are in it cannot see or understand truth - even when it is directly in front of them in black and white.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 02-29-2016, 01:29 AM
Linsinbigler's Avatar
Representative Clergy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,150
Default Re: Is Hell Eternal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
From The River of Fire is the the word 'slander'.

Slander...to snare...to string along.
The nature of evil, is to feed of others. For they have no source of energy themselves, such as the love of God.
They are void and can only survive by causing tension in others so they can feed of their wasted energies through tension.
Evil goes to great lengths to string along another in hope of snaring them, so they can gloat (be energized).
Hell is a place void of any truth. Those that are in it cannot find any truth for a foothold to escape the void. They are forever lost because they cannot find any truth. All they can do is feed of the fears/tensions (untruths of others). Fear feeding of fear, (as a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly - Proverbs 26:11).

In this regard, Hell is eternal. Those that are in it cannot see or understand truth - even when it is directly in front of them in black and white.
Eternal Damnation is eternal. But the English word "hell" is too ambiguous unless we explain which "hell" we mean. Scripturally, we have the following:

Hades: The "holding tank" for souls that passed until the day of judgment. The lowest part of Hades scripturally is Tartarus, where the devil and his angels are held until the day of judgment when they will be judged and will not have repented, so will be consigned to Gehenna. Now this is not of "determination" but by their choice. God, because he sees all things that to us are past present and future simultaneously, lets us know what is going to happen in this instance. We do not know for sure what is going to happen in any other instance with most particular persons (although we do know from John 5 that "those who have done evil" will experience eternal damnation).

Gehenna: Eternal damnation, aka the lake of fire, "outer darkness," hellfire and damnation, the place where the worm dies not, etc. It is real, and there will be people "in it." It is forever. I have read every argument against its being forever, but the arguments do not stand. It is eternal, forever, unending. Some say "is it fair that for just 70 years of being bad that there is an eternity of suffering." No, it is not fair, but that is not what happens. What happens is that after 20-70 years of being bad, they don't repent and continue in evil unto eternity. That is why eternal damnation is eternal, because repentance does not happen. God will surly shine light upon all, but the light is a burning fire to those who hate it, and a welcomed friend to those who love it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 02-29-2016, 02:03 AM
Peter's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 383
Default Re: Is Hell Eternal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsinbigler View Post
Eternal Damnation is eternal. But the English word "hell" is too ambiguous unless we explain which "hell" we mean. Scripturally, we have the following:

Hades: The "holding tank" for souls that passed until the day of judgment. The lowest part of Hades scripturally is Tartarus, where the devil and his angels are held until the day of judgment when they will be judged and will not have repented, so will be consigned to Gehenna. Now this is not of "determination" but by their choice. God, because he sees all things that to us are past present and future simultaneously, lets us know what is going to happen in this instance. We do not know for sure what is going to happen in any other instance with most particular persons (although we do know from John 5 that "those who have done evil" will experience eternal damnation).

Gehenna: Eternal damnation, aka the lake of fire, "outer darkness," hellfire and damnation, the place where the worm dies not, etc. It is real, and there will be people "in it." It is forever. I have read every argument against its being forever, but the arguments do not stand. It is eternal, forever, unending. Some say "is it fair that for just 70 years of being bad that there is an eternity of suffering." No, it is not fair, but that is not what happens. What happens is that after 20-70 years of being bad, they don't repent and continue in evil unto eternity. That is why eternal damnation is eternal, because repentance does not happen. God will surly shine light upon all, but the light is a burning fire to those who hate it, and a welcomed friend to those who love it.
Thanks for the distinctions. I learnt something new.

I think the point, of the thread, was more to do with the word 'eternal' and why it is 'eternal', which we both have explained in our own way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 05-09-2018, 11:58 PM
MadHermit's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Default Re: Is Hell Eternal?

I am a newbie to this site and have strong view on this topic. But let my first post on this thread be more personal. I an ex-Theology professor at a Catholic university and a retired UMC pastor. Yes, I have a doctorate in Scripture; so when church members ask me how to address me, I respond this way: "I'll give you a choice. You may address me either as Your Ineffable Hugeness or Don, whichever you prefer. But hey, on this site, you will address me as "Mad" (deleting the "Hermit" addition).

I want to observe that the question of whether Hell is eternal is a subset of the larger question of whether universal salvation is a possible implication of NT eschatological teaching. I have advised a PhD thesis on this topic and would be glad to start a thread on it, though I acknowledge this might be controversial. My approach would be almost totally biblical with some patristic support corroborating the unexpected biblical teaching. So how do you feel? Do you want such a thread? If so, under what section should I start it?

As for the topic of this thread, I will address it directly in my next planned post.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM
iamdan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 662
Default Re: Is Hell Eternal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHermit View Post
I am a newbie to this site and have strong view on this topic. But let my first post on this thread be more personal. I an ex-Theology professor at a Catholic university and a retired UMC pastor. Yes, I have a doctorate in Scripture; so when church members ask me how to address me, I respond this way: "I'll give you a choice. You may address me either as Your Ineffable Hugeness or Don, whichever you prefer. But hey, on this site, you will address me as "Mad" (deleting the "Hermit" addition).

I want to observe that the question of whether Hell is eternal is a subset of the larger question of whether universal salvation is a possible implication of NT eschatological teaching. I have advised a PhD thesis on this topic and would be glad to start a thread on it, though I acknowledge this might be controversial. My approach would be almost totally biblical with some patristic support corroborating the unexpected biblical teaching. So how do you feel? Do you want such a thread? If so, under what section should I start it?

As for the topic of this thread, I will address it directly in my next planned post.
Hello again Mad, as you may have noticed, this site can hop or be slow. Most of the original clergy are no longer active, there are many lookers and some pop in at times , you just never know when, often it is topic driven.

There are a couple of moderators who monitor and sometimes contribute. Rules can be somewhat liberal as long as you are not personal attacking. As far as your theological discussions, some get offended getting off the mainstream, but others enjoy a good debate, try and keep it within the thread heading. "bible study" "theology" "Christianity and other religions" etc..... Often , the admins would prefer you not open/resurect old threads, but start new ones, so there should be no issue of you starting a new thread.

There are plenty of folks out in readership land. Participation is always in flux. Also, you may not know who you are chatting/debating with as many will hide their identity, and others here have been friends for years or are family of founders.


Have fun and have at it.

Dan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 05-10-2018, 04:14 PM
MadHermit's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 9
Default Re: Is Hell Eternal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdan View Post
Hello again Mad, as you may have noticed, this site can hop or be slow. Most of the original clergy are no longer active, there are many lookers and some pop in at times , you just never know when, often it is topic driven.

There are a couple of moderators who monitor and sometimes contribute. Rules can be somewhat liberal as long as you are not personal attacking. As far as your theological discussions, some get offended getting off the mainstream, but others enjoy a good debate, try and keep it within the thread heading. "bible study" "theology" "Christianity and other religions" etc..... Often , the admins would prefer you not open/resurect old threads, but start new ones, so there should be no issue of you starting a new thread.

There are plenty of folks out in readership land. Participation is always in flux. Also, you may not know who you are chatting/debating with as many will hide their identity, and others here have been friends for years or are family of founders.


Have fun and have at it.

Dan
Thank you Dan. I'm surprised because I find the uniqueness of the thread very appealing and can't imagine why posters would lose interest, especially given the huge participation of other Christian discussion boards with an inferior quality of posts. I don't want to lecture or start posts with little participaton. What sort of topics might draw former poster back? Is it best to be controversial or to play it safe? Do highly theological threads attract more than personal experiential threads? What would you suggest? And what would appeal to you?

Let me offer a sampling of 5 threads I could start and please tell me which topics might be the most interesting to you and our prospective viewers:
(1) Can Universalism Survive Biblical Scrutiny?
(2) The Limits Imposed by Jesus' Humanity
(3) Church Unity: The Limits of Compromise and Inter-Faith Programs,
(4) A Critique of Charismatic Theology and Practice
(5) Normative Christian Experience and Psychic Phenomena (NDEs, ADCs, Premonitions, Clairvoyance)
)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are all Muslims going to Hell? Mark Christianity & Other Religions 214 04-01-2009 01:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.


true2ourselves
 
 
 

Flashcoms

You need to upgrade your Flash Player.

Version 8 or higher is required.

download from http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29