Divider
Divider
Divider

+
Register FAQ A-Z directory Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

True2Ourselves Forums   > Community Topics > Health  > Hello. My first post

Old 09-01-2020, 09:45 AM

Default Hello. My first post

Hello how are you, this is my first post.

This is pasted from my blog and I hope it helps you:

I think that being in lockdown for a while and also the thought of another possible lockdown is having a bit of an effect on the way that people think. I think it gives people a lot of fear.

Obviously we need to contain the virus but I think that the isolation has caused a lot of mental health problems that are linked to fear.

I think that fear causes bad mental health. I also think that mental health is more of a spiritual thing sometimes but that is another story.

When we fear or when we are in a mess and do not feel loved, we can sometimes do negative things like turning to witchcraft or Fascism. Those two things go hand in hand by the way.

I am reading a book called Human Givens by Joe Griffin and Ivan Tyrrell. It is this psychology book that says we should make sure our human givens are met before we do something silly. Making sure that we have control over our lives, meaning and other givens too, but that we have privacy so that we can process the givens. Think about if you are getting them after you have read the right bits of the book.

IMO some people have stopped believing that they have privacy as they believe that they are on TV somehow. The kind of thing that people think when they get carried away at pub karioke. This is a mental health problem caused by the lockdown. You need to believe the truth that you are not on TV and thus not turn to something silly. If you believe that you have no privacy then you will have no privacy. I do not have this problem myself.

If we are a Christian then Jesus will meet our needs but even then it would be wise to make sure that we are getting our human givens.
I recommend that you read this book because of the current times but remember that Jesus Christ is our first help above all.

It is a semi thick book therefore maybe read it as a reference for the things that are applicable to you in these times.

Think about how we can use psychology in a positive way in order to help people. I do think that psychology is more of a “how” though and the bible is a “why” thing e.g. the days of creation in the book of Genesis (why) could be symbolic for the theory of evolution massive periods of time (how).

Shalom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Hello. My first post

Although there is nothing wrong with sharing what books we have read that we feel are a help spiritually. We do not allow promotion of items or other websites here, especially not on your first post. I wont delete your post, but keep this rule in mind please.

Thanks, Brad, Moderator.
Knowledge and Wisdom are both good and worth finding, but they also have truly bad downsides, just study the life of Solomon to see the truth of this. Love does not puff up. Perfect Love drives out pride. Faith, Hope, and Love are the greatest of all things we can strive for, and the greatest of these are Love. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways aknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-04-2020, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Hello. My first post

Hi, welcome, I think I can rightly conclude that you are about as curious as I am on the subject/concept/myth(?) of human nature. I'm reading a book that is probably very similar to yours: How the Mind Works, by Stephen Pinker, except unfortunately he is a very hard core atheist, but well versed in theories of evolution or what he likes to call natural selection.
I hope you will come back here often and comment much more.